• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Automotive Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
When we were getting our car (Infiniti EX) I subscribed to some service report survey that compared the problems found on different cars in the different model years / class. I seem to remember 2010 Q5 fared pretty badly compared to Lexus RX or our EX, because the 2010 I guess was its first year, so there were kinks to be ironed out. It wasn't just small problems either, I seem to remember something about transmission being mentioned often. I'd say go for 2011 because that had significantly less service trips compared to 2010.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
LMAO

Nothing will ever sound as good as a Carrera GT.

The car has no flywheel for fuck's sake.

That's R35 money up here in Canada... and being in Canada the car is banned. Fucking stupid import laws. I see R32s around though.

Edit- 2 more years of waiting to import the 99 R34 to Canada: http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/pub/bsf5048-eng.html

Next year (2014) you can legally import a 1999 year model R34 GTR. I'd expect the prices to be around $35-40K landed.

I was thinking about getting one, but I switched to a S15 Silvia since I bought a larger house since I began my research.

And you should see R33's as well. I know of a few owners in the GTA with both R32's and R33's.

N-Bomb

I'll add a street-legal Ariel Atom V8 to my list of cars-you-want. Who needs a Porsche or Lexus, this thing is faster and manlier.

Stryder

Hi everyone, new to this thread and only wandered in because I will be picking up a car this weekend.

I'm going to be picking up a 2007 Porsche Cayenne which I found for a price that I just couldn't let pass, hopefully the cost of petrol doesn't bite me in the ass with this one but I'll only be using it on weekends and the occasional road trip here and there.

Planning on importing it back to Australia from the UK as well once I move back so am psyched to be owning what would be normally an extortionately expensive car back there for what I see as a steal here in the UK.

coldfoot

Banned
You came to the wrong neighborhood, motherfucker.

Side by side: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3iavg_yq7is
Judging by the comments, the general public disagrees with you. So do I. Plus the LF-A exhaust was tuned by Yamaha, who make professional music equipment, and they'd be more qualified to know what sounds better than any of us here.

There's also the fact that 9000 rpm sounds better than 8000 rpm. Mathematical fact.

Judging by the comments, the general public disagrees with you. So do I. Plus the LF-A exhaust was tuned by Yamaha, who make professional music equipment, and they'd be more qualified to know what sounds better than any of us here.

There's also the fact that 9000 rpm sounds better than 8000 rpm. Mathematical fact.

Counter-point, the youtube comments are on your side, therefore the CGT wins.

Bigger displacement with the CGT gives it a much fuller sound, the LF-A note is actually kind of abrasive until it's farther away from the camera. I actually like the mid-range notes better than the high rpm notes, the sound tends to be more complex.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes

lmao

Great troll. Will read again.

N-Bomb

jesus christ man

I want to be an alien, too. (you can get it with a full windscreen now)

193199d1291522048-2012-ariel-atom-v8-500-topgearatom.jpg

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Hahaha. Yamaha had to tune the exhaust because Lexus is notoriously awful at making a car sound good. Yamaha could only clean up so much. Their 4.6L and 5.0L V8s sound pitiful with exhaust work done to them, their engines are just aurally unpleasant.

The Porsche on the other hand was born to sound incredible.

FStop7

Banned

No.

My experience is being right next to an LF-A and in the passenger seat of a Carrera GT.

coldfoot

Banned
My experience is being right next to an LF-A and in the passenger seat of a Carrera GT.

Of course a CGT under power would sound better than a LF-A idling or just free revving. You cannot deny 9000>8000.

Bigger displacement with the CGT gives it a much fuller sound, the LF-A note is actually kind of abrasive until it's farther away from the camera. I actually like the mid-range notes better than the high rpm notes, the sound tends to be more complex.
Mid range is just what you pass through to get to the top end, just like sex is what you do to get off.

http://jalopnik.com/the-six-letters-you-need-to-know-if-you-want-a-bmw-472513915

Get a 320i with ZSP and ZMT for $34,745 including delivery. I take it those stand for Zee Sport Pack and Zee Manual Transmission.

$34,745 sounds like a lot for 180hp. The Cadillac ATS with the 272 hp 2L turbo with a manual starts at $34,615. Granted, you get different content. I like the idea of it, at least. Plus, it should be easy to get more power out of it.

I'd much rather be in the bimmer than the ATS. I didn't enjoy driving a rental ATS one bit, and it wasn't near as comfortable on the highway as my '06 S40.

For the size of that car I don't think 180hp is enough, but in terms of entry-level sports luxury it's not a bad price.

bcl0328

http://jalopnik.com/the-six-letters-you-need-to-know-if-you-want-a-bmw-472513915

Get a 320i with ZSP and ZMT for $34,745 including delivery. I take it those stand for Zee Sport Pack and Zee Manual Transmission.

$34,745 sounds like a lot for 180hp. The Cadillac ATS with the 272 hp 2L turbo with a manual starts at $34,615. Granted, you get different content. I like the idea of it, at least. Plus, it should be easy to get more power out of it.

You can get a used 328i now for like $32k. They have 240hp and are a blast to drive. Good mpg too.

coldfoot

Banned

Dat M-sport steering wheel...pure sex.

ascii42

I'd much rather be in the bimmer than the ATS. I didn't enjoy driving a rental ATS one bit, and it wasn't near as comfortable on the highway as my '06 S40.

For the size of that car I don't think 180hp is enough, but in terms of entry-level sports luxury it's not a bad price.

That's probably true. Plus BMW tends to underrate their engines, the 200lbft torque rating seems to suggest it. Probably goes just fine.

I doubt I'd be in the market for either this or the ATS anyway, I'd prefer an S60 for that kind of money. Much more my kind of car.

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
Day one of Energy Suspension Polyurethane bushings on my 2004 Honda Civic DX Coupe (EM2):

No hyperbole.

I immediately noticed the stiffer and tighter steering response. Feels great in the corners. Nice and planted. Body roll has been greatly reduced but the harshness of the ride has increased slightly. I haven't gotten an alignmet yet but driving in a straight line feels like I'm on rails. Given the nature of polyurethane you do feel a little more bounce from the road.

I really wished they made rubber with the handling characteristics of polyurethane.

Okay, back to it.

I got the black set with the graphite infused but I can't really say anything about squeaks since it's day one.

I'm fully aware of suspension binding but since it's a daily driver I took the chance as I'm not going to be racing this thing (it's a Civic for fucks sake) haha.

I'm going to list any issues as they come up and plan on relubricating the bushings every oil change (5000 to 6000km).

If I can get 4 to 5 years km of good use out of then then I'll be happy. My old OEM rubbers were like butter compared to these. Note that my OEMs were from 2004 with 95,000kms on them though they looked decent.

Anyways enough of my ramblings. I'll let you guys continue with your LFA vs. superior exhaust sounds talk:p

Flo_Evans

hmmm. Interesting option vs. a BRZ....

Same HP, but 4 doors and a much nicer interior.

the BMW is 3,300lbs. vs a BRZ @ 2,700lbs. +$10k cost too :(

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
3-Series has torque and is a luxury vehicle through-and-through. Especially with those options.

Flo_Evans

gotta factor in maintenance as well... I assume subaru and toyota stuff are pretty reliable?

BMW maintenance is included for 4 years 50,000 miles. Long term though yeah. I had an old 325 and it was a bitch every time I had to take it to the shop.

3-Series has torque and is a luxury vehicle through-and-through. Especially with those options.

yeah it has much more torque... but enough to overcome the weight? Seems like some test drives are in order.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
What is this?

k8il73i.jpg

u6ModcC.jpg

Unrelated note, I've seen two Tesla Model S's in the past two days. They look very nice.
Both drivers were cocks though.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Yeah it's pretty terrible and an HKS car it seems from the rear logo? I dunno.
Also the door was left open and no one was in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom