• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Automotive Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any of y'all use mounts for your phone in your car? I'm currently using one that's an extended arm that connects to the left bolt of the passenger seat. Seems to work fine so far. Heard good things about the ones that go on the a/c hole.

Any of y'all use mounts for your phone in your car? I'm currently using one that's an extended arm that connects to the left bolt of the passenger seat. Seems to work fine so far. Heard good things about the ones that go on the a/c hole.

I have one that suction cups to the windshield with a stiff arm that holds the phone. It's pretty decent but when the sun beats on it the clamp on the cup gets loose and it wobbles around.

I only use it for running Torque, an OBII app that connects to the reader I have, which is fun and actually helped me do diagnostics one time.

I've been all over the map for a new family "fun" car. I scrapped the idea of a M3 sedan, and moved back to Japanese cars. Now I'm thinking about either a used Evo X (2010) or a used STI 2010-11). Prices in Canada were ridiculous to start with, and there's no way I'm taking that much of a hit on a new purchase for no real reason.

I've been all over the map for a new family "fun" car. I scrapped the idea of a M3 sedan, and moved back to Japanese cars. Now I'm thinking about either a used Evo X (2010) or a used STI 2010-11). Prices in Canada were ridiculous to start with, and there's no way I'm taking that much of a hit on a new purchase for no real reason.

STI is not a fun family car. It's an aggressive and loud driver and your wife/kids/dogs will not enjoying riding in it.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative

Mazdaspeed 3.

dubc35

I rarely, pretty much never, post in this thread but I have four unused carfax reports that will go unused since I bought a car a couple weeks ago. Hopefully I'm not overstepping my bounds by offering this, or violating ToS, but if anyone has some VIN's they want me to run I can. All I ask is that you are serious about buying the car and not just running them for fun, or for your current car. Also please be considerate of others in this thread and PM me if interested instead of posting here. Mods, let me know if this is frowned upon and I will rescind my offer, or feel free to delete this post. Thanks!

J-Rzez

I had a matching Recaro Seat cellphone holder in my Evo for a little bit. Then realized it made me look like a tool and threw it out. Held cellphones just fine though lol.

STI is not a fun family car. It's an aggressive and loud driver and your wife/kids/dogs will not enjoying riding in it.

Pfftt, Evo's and WRX's are "awesome family cars", as in, when I have my woman in the car with our dog, blasting along spittin' fire out the exhaust, we look awesome. Seriously though, I have no complaints with my Evo being modded up and used as a daily driver. We take her RDX when we go on long trips like vacations though, since there's more room to haul in that. If I had a WRX wagon, I would take that no questions asked. She loves when we take my car, loves the sounds, acceleration, handling, and looks we get. :)

toxicgonzo

Taxes?! Isn't this the line for Metallica?
So I've started test driving new cars for myself over the last two days. Drove the 2013 Ford Mustang and Fusion. While the Mustang was quite fun it was too cramped for me. I just enjoyed the Fusion a bit more, not to mention all the extras the Fusions comes with at the price range I'm looking at (30K is my barrier).

Today I drove a Hyundai Sonata 2.0T Limited and the Azera. The Sonata was fun, but way too plastic inside for my tastes. The Azera on the other hand was quite enjoyable, but the price was out of my range (apparently the Azera doesn't get any dealer discounts in initial pricing).

As of now I'm leaning towards the Fusion with the EcoBoost engine, it seems to be hitting more notes for me than any of the others I have tried. But I'm not done yet I want to go see some other manufacturers. My trade in will be a 2002 Toyota Sonata 2.4 L with the premium packaging at 133K miles so KBB will probably say it is "Fair" and it gives me about $2,600 for trade-in.

Anyone have experience with any of these vehicles (especially the 2013 Fusion), what are they like after driving them for a bit?
The Ford Fusion has an EPA rating of 47 MPG. Many reviewers are noting that this is not possible even with good driving practices. It's probably closer to 40 MPG.
In fact, there is a class action lawsuit going on in California over this. There was another car manufacturer that got sued for misrepresenting their car and had to pay owners that difference between stated and actual MPG.

Still a cool car though. I'd get one but it's out of my price range.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
The Ford Fusion has an EPA rating of 47 MPG. Many reviewers are noting that this is not possible even with good driving practices. It's probably closer to 40 MPG.
In fact, there is a class action lawsuit going on in California over this. There was another car manufacturer that got sued for misrepresenting their car and had to pay owners that difference between stated and actual MPG.

Still a cool car though. I'd get one but it's out of my price range.

Ford Fusion Hybrid is ranked at 47MPG. Ford Fusion Ecoboost is ranked at 22/34MPG.

N-Bomb

Psh. My STi has a nicer ride than my friend's stock MS6, and it's only loud if I want it to be. Even then, I've gotten comments from people about how quiet it is.

Get an STi if you want a fun family car! Get a minivan if you're already dead inside.

reilo

Psh. My STi has a nicer ride than my friend's stock MS6, and it's only loud if I want it to be. Even then, I've gotten comments from people about how quiet it is.

Get an STi if you want a fun family car! Get a minivan if you're already dead inside.

Your "STi"?

reilo

Yes, what about it?

It's a conversion, no? As in, it wasn't born an STi? That's not quite apples-to-apples. I doubt your suspension setup is 100% the same as a bone-stock STi.

That's like me putting in a 2.3l DISI into a Mazda3 and calling it a Mazdaspeed3.

Gouty

Bloodborne is shit
I'd even describe my WRX as loud. Not from the engine, just road noise. And the ride isn't particularly comfortable either. The only thing family about it is the four doors.

N-Bomb

It's a conversion, no? As in, it wasn't born an STi? That's not quite apples-to-apples. I doubt your suspension setup is 100% the same as a bone-stock STi.

That's like me putting in a 2.3l DISI into a Mazda3 and calling it a Mazdaspeed3.

Well. The steering, suspension, hubs, brakes, axles, diff, transmission, engine... it's all from an STi. Keep in mind that there were also 6 versions of STi on this body shell. Aside from the interior, I pretty much had the car gutted.

So, aside from a couple exterior body parts (some of which I'm going to be putting on), this is pretty much an STi.

I'd even describe my WRX as loud. Not from the engine, just road noise. And the ride isn't particularly comfortable either. The only thing family about it is the four doors.

Ahh, THAT loud. Well since I've lost a bunch of weight on it already, I'm going to be putting a bit of work into a bit of sound deadening to cure some of that.

reilo

Well. The steering, suspension, hubs, brakes, axles, diff, transmission, engine... it's all from an STi. Keep in mind that there were also 6 versions of STi on this body shell. Aside from the interior, I pretty much had the car gutted.

So, aside from a couple exterior body parts (some of which I'm going to be putting on), this is pretty much an STi.

FrankenSTi

TheOMan

Tagged as I see fit

Acura TL SH-AWD 6MT. See if you can find a 2012. There were no changes for the 2013, except for some debadging. If you can't find a 2012 (check autotrader.ca), I know deals on brand new 2013s are pretty aggressive.

amrihua

So why automatic a thing in us while manual tran is a thing like every else in the world? Cultural thing?

I know how to drive manual I just choose not to. Manual in stop-go traffic is hellish. Also, can't use my other hand to hold my drink/cigarette/food.

I would buy a manual as a second car but not as my primary one.

N-Bomb

FrankenSTi

Harder, better, faster, stronger~

It's lighter than the car the engine came from, too! And I figure I can ditch another 100-200 lbs with no compromise to comfort/reliability/performance/etc.

I know how to drive manual I just choose not to. Manual in stop-go traffic is hellish. Also, can't use my other hand to hold my drink/cigarette/food.

I would buy a manual as a second car but not as my primary one.

I guess I'm in the minority, but I've never had a problem with manual in stop-n-go traffic.

Any good suggestions on a reasonable engine, transmission, and drivetrain for a small RWD car? I am trying to convince my brother to use Ford Duratec 2.0L and tranny then take a miata drivetrain to put into his gutted BMW 2002. Cheap, reliable parts and easy HP for a small car.

I thought Asia was already a huge market for autos?

Side note but this is what some higher up drove to work where I interned.

i2lbl58RiXZ1O.jpg

I think it might be due to rising middle class. The old cars around are still manual, but it does seem like most of the new ones are automatics (taxis are still manual and crazy). Wouldn't blame them. In large cities like shanghai/beijing it's pretty much 24/7 traffic on the streets.

I've driven and been in my friend 09' STI and I didn't think it was too bad. And that had a HKS exhaust among other mods.

Mazdaspeed 3.

I drive a Mazda 3 right now, and there's NO way I'd by another on in this climate. The metal is to soft and it rusts rathey easily.

Pfftt, Evo's and WRX's are "awesome family cars", as in, when I have my woman in the car with our dog, blasting along spittin' fire out the exhaust, we look awesome. Seriously though, I have no complaints with my Evo being modded up and used as a daily driver. We take her RDX when we go on long trips like vacations though, since there's more room to haul in that. If I had a WRX wagon, I would take that no questions asked. She loves when we take my car, loves the sounds, acceleration, handling, and looks we get. :)

HAHA Yeah that's how I brought this purcahse up to my wife. I said that it's a "quick" family taxi and she's game. I plan to import a JDM track car next year, so that one can be a two door.

Acura TL SH-AWD 6MT. See if you can find a 2012. There were no changes for the 2013, except for some debadging. If you can't find a 2012 (check autotrader.ca), I know deals on brand new 2013s are pretty aggressive.

I have a friend who bought a 13' model, and I'm not diggin the styling of it at all. That being said, it's a rather refined quick ride for sure.

Cheeto

Any good suggestions on a reasonable engine, transmission, and drivetrain for a small RWD car? I am trying to convince my brother to use Ford Duratec 2.0L and tranny then take a miata drivetrain to put into his gutted BMW 2002. Cheap, reliable parts and easy HP for a small car.

The answer is always a LS1

bcl0328

2012 335i?

Reven

I'm actually really surprised by that. I expected the scion to have much higher rates than the subie, by nature of it being SCION EXTREME YOUTH GENERATION MILLENIALS TEXT TEXT TEXT TWEET THIS SHIT M'FUCKER.
Its probably because the BRZ has a higher MSRP

oh yeah, forget to ask.

brz owners, yay or nay for the car (so far)? Does it live up to the hype? Do they drift as easily as Ridge Racer? They daily driveable?

Also limited worth like the extra grand or so?

ascii42

can't even speed even if I want to with my 105hp prizm :(

In my Olds, most speed limits are a goal to try to reach, particularly if the road so much as thinks about curving at all. The car made me understand how speed limits are set. Apparently they assume everybody drives old American land yachts.

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
3 speeding tickets (prior to BRZ of course. I was a silly kid) still on record.
26 years old.
Populated area.

$300 a month for me. Will be much less with a clean record.

Got a DUI (care and control technically) for sleeping in my car because I didn't want to drive and I was in the middle of nowhere in 2008.

Got a ticket for going 150km/h in a 100 in 2010.

Insurance is $221 a month. Should be lower in 2 months when the ticket comes off my record.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Jesus Christ...

This is why I avoided doing dumb shit as a young driver to a decent extent. I knew when the time came to pay my own car insurance bills, I'd be relishing in not getting buttfucked.

TylerD

Jesus Christ...

This is why I avoided doing dumb shit as a young driver to a decent extent. I knew when the time came to pay my own car insurance bills, I'd be relishing in not getting buttfucked.

Had one speeding ticket in 13 years of driving thus far. Happened my junior year of high school.

The insurance on my 330ci is $72 a month through Progressive. My Accord was down to around $50 with the Snapshot discount.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom