• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Automotive Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

mkenyon

Banned
Be still, my beating heart.

Maybe I'll pass on the Forester XT and wait for this fella. Hoping for a wagon model. It is what I truly want, as I miss my old WRX every day.

o0V8T7V.jpg

Hello Auto GAF...

What the general consensus of opinion on Fiats? Specifically the 500 hatchback?

Performance ain't really an issue, I just want to know if they are reliable.

Cheeto

i haven't heard anyone picking up extra N/A horse with a BRZ yet.

The way I understand it the motor is pretty maxed as-is. The factory tune is already on the lean side, as far as factory tunes are concerned. If you put a turbo on it, the compression is too high to run any signifigant boost levels...so you need to do a full motor build and at that point why not just buy a car that is turbo'ed from the factory?

The Nissan GTR has to be the car that retains its value better than any other current car. )9s still go for $65K Weren't they like $72K new?

I guess the BMW 1M may be better (higher priced than new) but I think that was a one year production. Crazy.

I had missed this post orignally. Yeah I've been following the pricing to see if I could snag one up in the high $50's but nope. There was one car from FL with high miles that sold for $58K. I haven't looked at pricing since last fall/winter.

mkenyon

Banned
I know. That's what's killing me.

I need to stay off Autotrader. There's nothing really wrong with my car but I really want something else.
Seriously.

I found a 328xi Wagon with 23K miles on it for $26,700. Looking at this stuff while trying to buy a house is a bad idea.

My current Forester is perfectly good! My current Forester is perfectly good! My current Forester is perfectly good! (repeat)

oh snap, brz's and wrx's and sti's are now on subaru's vip program. Join an affiliated organization (most are like $30 a year) after 6 months you can get a car 2% under dealer invoice.

It's called the Subaru VIP Partners Program. Below is a list of Subaru marketing affiliates whose members, six months after enrolling, can purchase new Subarus at 2% below dealer invoice:

American Association for the Advancement of Science
American Association of Snowboard Instructors
American Canoe Association
American Cross Country Skiers
American Meteorological Society
American Speech-Language-Hearing Association
American Veterinary Medical Association
Colorado Tennis Association
Crescent Ski Council (members of 22 ski clubs eligible)
Geological Society of America
International Mountain Bicycling Association
Leave No Trace
Mount Washington Observatory
National Ski Patrol
Pennsylvania Horticultural Society
Professional Ski Instructors of America
Southern Off-Road Bicycle Association

Make sure to inquire, before joining, whether the Subaru VIP Partners pricing membership benefit is still available.

Here are details about how the program works: Quote:
THE SUBARU OF AMERICA (SOA) VIP PARTNERS PROGRAM

Introduction

The VIP Partners Program is a Subaru of America, Inc. (SOA) corporate program offering eligible SOA marketing affiliate members the opportunity to purchase or lease new Subaru vehicles at2% below dealer invoice cost.

Eligibility:

Any VIP Partners customer must be an active member of the SOA marketing affiliate for a minimum of 6 consecutive months. The VIP dealer visit authorization forms are issued only to eligible affiliate members and their spouse or domestic partner residing in the same household (address verification required).

The VIP Partners Program offer is non-transferable and does not extend to the member's relatives such as parents, siblings, children, etc.

VIP Partners customers are limited to two (2) new vehicles within a 12-month time period.

The Dealer Visit Authorization form does not obligate the member to purchase or lease a new Subaru; it does, however, inform the dealership that the member is entitled to VIP pricing.

Procedures

To participate in the VIP Program:

1. Marketing affiliate members must receive an approved VIP Dealer Visit Authorization form PRIOR to visiting a participating Subaru dealer.

2. Members must contact their affiliate's membership office to request a dealer visit authorization form.

3. The affiliate membership office will verify the customer's membership status.

4. The member will be asked their name, membership ID number, address, telephone number and choice of participating dealer.

5. The affiliate membership services office employee will log on to the VIP website at www.vip.subaru.com using their affiliate e-mail address. The membership services office will complete the Dealer Visit Authorization form on line and submit it to the VIP Partners Program at SOA for processing.

Upon receipt, SOA will mail the SOA approved Dealer Visit Authorization form directly to the member. As an introduction to the dealer, SOA will also fax a copy of the Dealer Visit Authorization form directly to the dealer. The authorization form is non-transferable and will expire in 45 days from the date of the letter. The member must take the form to the participating dealer indicated on the form. We ask that the member wait until the form is received before visiting Subaru dealers. The form must be presented to the participating participating dealer contact person (Noted on the Dealer Authorization form) upon entry into the dealership.

Dealer Selection

VIP customers select the dealer of their choice, generally based upon customer proximity and convenient servicing. Should the customer not have a dealer preference, SOA will select the closest participating dealer based on the customer's zip code. Customers may visit the Subaru website at www.Subaru.com to locate their closest dealer.

All VIP sales must be conducted by an authorized and participating Subaru dealer. The VIP Program is available in all states except Hawaii.

Pricing

VIP pricing for purchase transactions is based upon 2% below dealer invoice cost for the vehicle and factory installed accessories as invoiced and delivered to the dealer by SOA. This is the non-negotiable base price for all customers with proper VIP Program authorization.

The VIP price is further reduced by all applicable regional dealer or customer incentives or dealer cash, if applicable.

The special pricing under the VIP program cannot be combined with any other Subaru of America, Inc. promotional offers, coupons (such as auto show or internet coupons) or direct mail offers or vouchers (except Subaru MasterCard® points).

The VIP Partners customer will be responsible for all applicable federal, state and local taxes and license and municipality registration fees. Any customary dealer administrative, advertising and/or trade fees are additional.

Leasing

Capitalization cost is 2% below dealer invoice cost for the vehicle and factory installed accessories, less any regional customer or dealer incentives or dealer cash, if applicable with current lease program. Dealers cannot mark up the rate. The lease can be structured with a zero down payment for applicants with an acceptable credit history. A security deposit and first month's payment in advance is required.

Accessory Pricing

For accessories that are added to the vehicle at the factory, the price to the VIP customer is 2% below dealer invoice. The dealer will determine the price of any accessories that are added after the vehicle has arrived at the dealership, as the dealer will incur procurement and labor costs to obtain and install such accessories.

Vehicle Availability

All new Subaru models are included in the VIP Program, subject to availability and dealer discretion. At the dealer's election, the Subaru vehicle may be secured from the dealer's new vehicle inventory,located and procured from a nearby dealer's inventory or ordered from SOA. From time-to-time, new models may be temporarily held from the VIP Program until dealer inventories are sufficient to accommodate VIP customers. During these time, dealers are asked to place a sold order.

New Subaru vehicles are those never titled, not previously reported sold and generally have less than 100 miles. Dealer demos and used vehicles are excluded from the VIP Partners Program.

Trade-ins

Generally, most dealers will accept trade-ins. The participating dealer determines the value of the trade. As you are purchasing or leasing a new vehicle at dealer cost, you should expect no more than a wholesale offer for your trade. VIP customers with trades should consider the benefit of selling their trade privately.

Financing

Financing arrangements, if any, will be determined in the usual manner with the dealer and will be subject to the standard credit approval practices at the dealership. From time to time, SOA does offer low rate financing on select Subaru models. VIP customers are eligible to take advantage of any special low rate financing offers in effect at the time of purchase should they be available.

Subaru Added Security

The cost of Subaru Added Security contracts will be determined by the dealership and agreed to jointly by the participating dealer and the VIP Partners customer.

Disclaimers

The special VIP Partners pricing does not apply to sales made prior to receipt of the approved dealer visit authorization form.
In order to obtain VIP Partners pricing, the member must follow the procedures as outlined herein by possessing a VIP Partners Authorization Form prior to communicating with a dealership. It is not the intention or purpose of the program to interfere with any pricing negotiations currently underway between a dealership and a customer who has previously visited the dealer without the form. In such situations, the VIP Partners Program does not apply.
Participation in the VIP program recognizes the relationship between Subaru of America, Inc. and the VIP participant. Inclusion in the program is a privilege and accordingly, at its sole discretion, Subaru of America, Inc. may at any time exclude an individual from the VIP program.
The VIP Partners Program will remain in effect until such time as modified by SOA.

FAQ

Q - What is the VIP Partners Program?

A - The VIP Partners Program is a Subaru of America, Inc. (SOA) corporate program designed to allow eligible members of SOA marketing affiliates the ability to purchase or lease new Subaru vehicles through a dealership at a no-haggle price of 2% below dealer invoice cost.

Q - How does the VIP Program work?

A - To participate in the VIP Program, an eligible member must request a dealer visit authorization form PRIOR to visiting a dealer. To request a form, the eligible member must contact their membership services office. The membership services office will verify the current membership status of the participant and then forward the request to SOA headquarters for processing. Within a few days, the VIP dealer visit authorization form will be mailed directly to the approved member. The form will include the dealership name, telephone number and contact person. A copy of the VIP form will also be faxed to the participating dealer. The form does not obligate the member to purchase a Subaru. The intention of the form is to alert the dealership to the fact that the customer is entitled to VIP pricing.

Q - Who is eligible to participate in the VIP Program?

A - Any VIP customer must be an active member of the SOA marketing affiliate for a minimum of 6 consecutive months. Immediate family members, including spouse and domestic partner residing in the same household are also eligible for VIP pricing, subject to dealer verification of member status and address. The VIP Partners Program offer is non-transferable and does not extend to the member's relatives such as parents, siblings, children, etc.

Q - Are used Subarus also included in the VIP Program?

A - No. The VIP program only applies to new, unused vehicles. New Subaru vehicles are those never titled, not previously reported sold and generally have less than 100 miles.

Q –Can I visit more than one dealer?

A – Under the VIP Program, pricing from dealer to dealer is standardized at 2% below dealer invoice, so there is no need to shop around - just choose the participating dealer that is most convenient for servicing.

Q – Will I be able to purchase accessories at 2% under dealer invoice price?

A – For accessories that are factory-installed on the vehicle, the price would be 2% below dealer invoice. The dealer will determine the price of any accessories that are added after the vehicle has arrived at the dealership, as the dealer will incur labor costs to install such accessories.

Q - Can I lease a new Subaru under the VIP program?

A - Yes, the capitalization cost of the vehicle on the lease will be 2% below dealer invoice. Leases can be structured for our VIP customers with an acceptable credit history with a zero down payment. However, a security deposit and first month's payment are required.

Q - Will dealers accept my current vehicle as a trade in under the VIP program?

A - Yes, most dealers will accept trade-ins. The participating dealer determines the value of the trade. Because you are purchasing a new vehicle at dealer cost, you should expect no more than a wholesale offer for your trade. Customers with trades should consider the benefit of selling their trade-in privately.

CONTACT INFORMATION

PHONE: 1-800-VIP-0933 (1-800-847-0933) Hours 8:30 AM to 5 PM Eastern Time
FAX: 856-488-8545
E-MAIL: vipprogram@subaru.com
POSTAL:

Subaru of America, Inc.
c/o VIP Program
P.O. Box 6000
Cherry Hill, NJ 08034-6000

Oh hell no. Ninja 250R. Far far smaller (and supposedly cheaper insurance?). Canadian bike insurance is weird when it comes to bikes. Most require completely clean record, with years of riding experience and years of constant insurance. Only TD was willing to ensure me.

Huh, that's weird. I have a 250R with State Farm and pay about $800/yr. M2, 29. Full G for a long time.

N-Bomb

Huh, that's weird. I have a 250R with State Farm and pay about $800/yr. M2, 29. Full G for a long time.

Yup, my aunt works @ State Farm, and she said for me would probably be $600-800ish for a 250cc bike.

----------------------------------

Alpha's worst nightmare. Waking up in this parking lot:

sTy5s9Wh.jpg

J-Rzez

Edit:

New WRX concept. Lookin' closer to production. Wheels/arches still too big, shaved handles, weird headlights still, but closer.

Damn. I love black on cars. But its a nightmare as a daily driver to keep clean. That, and Subaru's black paint is trash, so, SWP or WRB for me.

ah, our new 2013 outback came in off the truck on wednesday morning, drove it home after work that night. feels good man.

question:

i was thinking about powder coating the wheels. anyone have experience with powder coating their wheels/rims, and ballpark figures of what to expect in price?

ah, our new 2013 outback came in off the truck on wednesday morning, drove it home after work that night. feels good man.

question:

i was thinking about powder coating the wheels. anyone have experience with powder coating their wheels/rims, and ballpark figures of what to expect in price?

If it's done at a good place (Won't chip easily) expect to pay a few hundred to get the work done...

mkenyon

Banned

question:

My experience is based on PC Modding, but here's the gist:

Entirely depends on the color. Lots of pretty colors require multiple coats. Also, if it's a color that the place is using normally, or is likely to be used on something else, then the price drops by quite a bit. Black, white, and gunmetal grey are colors oft used. I'd say a baseline of $100-200 if you happen to pick a color that a big job is going to be using, up to $500 for a super specialized paint job.

Check out prismatic powders for lots of specialized colors.

N-Bomb

question:

This may be a no-go if your wheels are forged. If the powder coat needs to be baked on, it would ruin the forging of your wheels.

ascii42

So the new Corvette Stingray will start at $51,995, and for that you get:
  • Seating with lightweight magnesium frames for exceptional support, and 8-way power adjustment
  • Five-position Drive Mode Selector that tailors up to 12 vehicle attributes
  • New seven-speed manual transmission with Active Rev Matching
  • 6.2L LT1 V-8 engine with direct injection, Active Fuel Management, continuously variable valve timing and an advanced combustion system
  • Carbon fiber hood on all models, and a carbon fiber removable roof panel on coupes
  • Aluminum frame that is 99 pounds lighter (40 kg) and 57 percent stiffer than previous model's structure
  • Advanced high-intensity discharge (HID) and light-emitting diode (LED) lighting
  • Dual, eight-inch configurable driver/infotainment screens, with next-generation Chevrolet MyLink infotainment system and rear vision camera
  • Bose 9-speaker audio system with SiriusXM radio, Bluetooth connectivity, USB and SD card and auxiliary input jack
  • Keyless access with push-button start
  • Power tilt/telescope steering wheel
  • An all-new, fully electronic top on the convertibles, that can be lowered remotely using the key fob
http://www.autoblog.com/2013/04/26/embargo-friday-4-26-12-30pm-est-2014-chevrolet-corvette-sting/

Only a $1,400 increase over the previous Corvette (not like you couldn't get one of those for cheaper, however). Seems like a pretty good price. I was thinking it'd start closer to $60k. Still not entirely sold on the looks. In some angles in certain colors, I think it looks great. In others, not so much.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes

Only a $1,400 increase over the previous Corvette (not like you couldn't get one of those for cheaper, however). Seems like a pretty good price. I was thinking it'd start closer to $60k. Still not entirely sold on the looks. In some angles in certain colors, I think it looks great. In others, not so much.

With all of the options though, it gets up to like $74k lol. I wonder what dealer markup is gonna be like?

Regardless, good price for a performance car of that caliber. Better buy than a GT500 imo.

coldfoot

Banned
A big engine in a lightweight body with crappy interior and build quality.
Edit: That $8K leather interior package better be Bentley quality to be worth it. That's an insane price for some leather and a GPS/Stereo system.

Test drove a frs mt today ( drove a at before). Had a hard time finding the clutch point and 1 to 2nd gear is a bit odd, but overall really fun. Such a nice stock clutch. And that shifter is easy and short.

Maybe I should get a mt car :3

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
  • Seating with lightweight magnesium frames for exceptional support, and 8-way power adjustment
  • Five-position Drive Mode Selector that tailors up to 12 vehicle attributes
  • New seven-speed manual transmission with Active Rev Matching
  • 6.2L LT1 V-8 engine with direct injection, Active Fuel Management, continuously variable valve timing and an advanced combustion system
  • Carbon fiber hood on all models, and a carbon fiber removable roof panel on coupes
  • Aluminum frame that is 99 pounds lighter (40 kg) and 57 percent stiffer than previous model's structure
  • Advanced high-intensity discharge (HID) and light-emitting diode (LED) lighting
  • Dual, eight-inch configurable driver/infotainment screens, with next-generation Chevrolet MyLink infotainment system and rear vision camera
  • Bose 9-speaker audio system with SiriusXM radio, Bluetooth connectivity, USB and SD card and auxiliary input jack
  • Keyless access with push-button start
  • Power tilt/telescope steering wheel
  • An all-new, fully electronic top on the convertibles, that can be lowered remotely using the key fob
http://www.autoblog.com/2013/04/26/embargo-friday-4-26-12-30pm-est-2014-chevrolet-corvette-sting/

See I like all of that. I'd get it with that and the Performance Package (a car like this HAS to have an LSD). But what pisses me off is that I want Navi...and I have to pay $8000 for it as part of a package.

I hope this is just an early options choosing, as manufacturers commonly start building cars with the most popular packages, and a year later allow the consumer to pick and choose a bit more - (BMW, Audi, Volvo, GM, Ford are known to do this often).

So ideally, all I want is the Perf Pack + Navigation. And I'd bet anything that because the screen comes standard with the car, the GPS is simply software locked (many makes do this to save costs, for example. And I know Volvo is one of them as they enable navi from the dealership via software).

grendelrt

See I like all of that. I'd get it with that and the Performance Package (a car like this HAS to have an LSD). But what pisses me off is that I want Navi...and I have to pay $8000 for it as part of a package.

I hope this is just an early options choosing, as manufacturers commonly start building cars with the most popular packages, and a year later allow the consumer to pick and choose a bit more - (BMW, Audi, Volvo, GM, Ford are known to do this often).

So ideally, all I want is the Perf Pack + Navigation. And I'd bet anything that because the screen comes standard with the car, the GPS is simply software locked (many makes do this to save costs, for example. And I know Volvo is one of them as they enable navi from the dealership via software).

Yeah seriously, 8K for nav and leather is nuts. Definitely going to have to go for a test drive when they come out. This is on my short list of cars to drive when I get rid of the M3. First time an American car has been on my list.

ascii42

Yeah, it says MyLink (which is Chevy's touchscreen interface) comes standard.

I'm curious about this BringGo stuff: http://www.chevrolet.com/culture/article/bringgo-app.html. I mean, using your smartphone for nav and displaying it on screen makes sense to me.

$50 is certainly nicer than $8000. Weird how it's only on the Sonic and Spark, but I guess Chevy wants to charge you through the nose for nav on their higher models.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Yeah, it says MyLink (which is Chevy's touchscreen interface) comes standard.

I'm curious about this BringGo stuff: http://www.chevrolet.com/culture/article/bringgo-app.html. I mean, using your smartphone for nav and displaying it on screen makes sense to me.

$50 is certainly nicer than $8000. Weird how it's only on the Sonic and Spark, but I guess Chevy wants to charge you through the nose for nav on their higher models.

The other bit I'm confused about is does the base car come with cloth seats? For some reason I can't recall any C6s coming base with cloth? Every used one I've seen for sale had leather. So I imagine a base C7 has leather, but perhaps mixed with some cloth, or maybe just a less premium leather?

J-Rzez

So they couldn't justify bringing the interior up to competition, and instead are gouging people for an expected interior quality? GG-GM. If that leather is the one they had in their cars at the NYIAS, then it's a rip off. It'll most likely stock be typical GM rat leather that breaks, cracks, and flakes in a short time, with some cheapo vinyl interior covering. $8000 for an "Aston Martin" all wrapped in leather interior, except it'll be premium rat hide instead. The seats aren't included in that package right? So 10,000 for the full effect? lol.

ascii42

The other bit I'm confused about is does the base car come with cloth seats? For some reason I can't recall any C6s coming base with cloth? Every used one I've seen for sale had leather. So I imagine a base C7 has leather, but perhaps mixed with some cloth, or maybe just a less premium leather?
On Chevy's web site, it says the C6 1LT comes with leather seating surfaces. 3LT adds perforated leather sports seats. 4LT adds "custom leather wrapped interior package". I imagine its like that again. Base with leather seats, plastic everything else. 3LT gets you leather wrapped everything else. If the leather is as crappy as everyone says, I'd just stick with the plastic. It'll probably suck too, but at least it'll be a lot cheaper.

coldfoot

Banned
On Chevy's web site, it says the C6 1LT comes with leather seating surfaces. 3LT adds perforated leather sports seats. 4LT adds "custom leather wrapped interior package". I imagine its like that again. Base with leather seats, plastic everything else. 3LT gets you leather wrapped everything else. If the leather is as crappy as everyone says, I'd just stick with the plastic. It'll probably suck too, but at least it'll be a lot cheaper.

I'd go that route too, but unfortunately Navigation isn't available stand alone. If it were, I'd get Navigation, Competition seats (because you know regular vette seats will definitely be garbage) and the performance pack that includes the LSD.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom