• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Automotive Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

ascii42

you have to take into account he may be paying full coverage while GuessWho may have bought their BRZ/FRS cash.

That's still a lot of money. I bought my Malibu with a loan, so I've got full coverage, I'm 26, and I pay around $86/month for it, but I have a clean record. Obviously the Malibu's not as sporty as an FRZ/BRZ, but the price is similar.

N-Bomb

can't even speed even if I want to with my 105hp prizm :(

In my Olds, most speed limits are a goal to try to reach, particularly if the road so much as thinks about curving at all. The car made me understand how speed limits are set. Apparently they assume everybody drives old American land yachts.

I remember getting my mom's LeBaron up to top speed - it was 147 km/h. Pedal to the floor, would not go faster on level ground.

I think I had three or four speeding tickets in Alabama and Georgia over a four year period. Thankfully none of them have shown up on any driving records since small towns in AL and GA just care about getting their money and filing reports takes time (and money) I guess.

mkenyon

Banned
Anyone in here familiar with full sized trucks?

A few years ago when I was still paying attention to cars, the Tundra was the one to get. I'm looking around now and it seems that the Ram 1500 has become the top dog.

What I want is something with a bed big enough to haul hey, as well as a 2-3 horse trailer. The reason I'm not looking at a diesel is that I'd like this to be a nice driver as well, since the hauling duty will still be a minority of the total time spent in it.

So, 9000-11000 lbs towing would be nice for some overhead. I can't bring myself to buy a Ford, so it seems I'd be looking at the Ram, Tundra, and Silverado. In terms of what I'd want out of it after the baseline towing requirement is met is reliability, driving feel (I'm a Subaru and BMW guy), and comfort.

ascii42

A few years ago when I was still paying attention to cars, the Tundra was the one to get. I'm looking around now and it seems that the Ram 1500 has become the top dog.

What I want is something with a bed big enough to haul hey, as well as a 2-3 horse trailer. The reason I'm not looking at a diesel is that I'd like this to be a nice driver as well, since the hauling duty will still be a minority of the total time spent in it.

So, 9000-11000 lbs towing would be nice for some overhead. I can't bring myself to buy a Ford, so it seems I'd be looking at the Ram, Tundra, and Silverado. In terms of what I'd want out of it after the baseline towing requirement is met is reliability, driving feel (I'm a Subaru and BMW guy), and comfort.

I believe the Ram was new this year, which explains why it's now the top dog. The Silverado/Sierra will be new next model year (so probably this fall). So I'd pass on the current GM trucks unless you feel like waiting until the new ones come out.

Superman00

Liverpool01
3 speeding tickets (prior to BRZ of course. I was a silly kid) still on record.
26 years old.
Populated area.

$300 a month for me. Will be much less with a clean record.

A stop sign ticket + a minor accident last year. It was about $200/month for me.
But I just turned 25 and it went down to $150/month. This is for the FRS.

mkenyon

Banned
A few years back I called to update my insurance to add my wife to our 3.0R Legacy. They didn't know I was married. My payments went from $120/month for just me to $67 for both of us. Same coverage.

A few years back I called to update my insurance to add my wife to our 3.0R Legacy. They didn't know I was married. My payments went from $120/month for just me to $67 for both of us. Same coverage.

Yeah being married is a huge factor in insurance rates. I'm pretty sure I told my insurance company that I got divorced a couple of years ago... I'll be sure to check on that sometime.

I was buying a 911 around the time I was getting married, as a single man it was going to be $250/mo., married it was going to be $120 for her car and mine combined.

gah i got the itch... for new car.

Must be due to my dad getting a new Lexus and won't let me drive it. :(

I feel like I shooould be good. Currently making about $3400 a month after taxes, puting a grand to college loans (got like 22k so should be done with that in 2 years) putting a grand to save for car stuff, $400 to my mom because she's awesome, and $1000 for food, gas, entertainment stuff. Living at parents home helps.

hmmm...

sammich

26 years old.
Populated area.

Well this also depends on location. In Toronto you are going to be screwed up the ass with insurance. I pay like 150 on my 2k8 TL and i have a perfect driving record.

gah i got the itch... for new car.

Must be due to my dad getting a new Lexus and won't let me drive it. :(

I feel like I shooould be good. Currently making about $3400 a month after taxes, puting a grand to college loans (got like 22k so should be done with that in 2 years) putting a grand to save for car stuff, $400 to my mom because she's awesome, and $1000 for food, gas, entertainment stuff. Living at parents home helps.

hmmm...

What are you looking for?

Also start an emergency fund. /financegaf

Oh...oh my goodness gracious

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/04/23/syrena-sport-returns-as-rebodied-nissan-370z/

kmPdpcl.jpg

So pretty

Yeah, coverage is full and it is indeed GTA (Mississauga to be specific) so I'm getting shafted like a turkey. I had to cancel my bike insurance because of the very same reason ($200 a month).

*sigh* oh well!!! :p

FStop7

Banned
26 years old.
Populated area.

Wait, 300 a month?

300 x 12 = 3600 a year...

Doesn't that mean in 5 years you will have paid roughly the entire value of your car, accounting for depreciation?

Holy crap. You are basically buying the insurance company a second BRZ.

ascii42

Wait, 300 a month?

300 x 12 = 3600 a year...

Doesn't that mean in 5 years you will have paid roughly the entire value of your car, accounting for depreciation?

Holy crap. You are basically buying the insurance company a second BRZ.

His insurance rates are paying for what he might do to other people and their cars, moreso than his own car.

Rad Agast

Oh...oh my goodness gracious

]http://www.autoblog.com/2013/04/23/syrena-sport-returns-as-rebodied-nissan-370z/

So pretty

Looks great.

As to insurance, it works a bit differently here. They don't care about the driver's age. 1300 $ per year for full coverage.

Ordered front to rear under panel set for the brz. Not sure about the rear diffuser yet (look/function) so I'm skipping that for now.

ameratsu

Wow @ the guys paying $220-$300 a month for insurance. I thought the $118 I pay a month for my integra is expensive as hell compared to previous cars, though I know why integras cost so much to insure (theft and ricers wrapping them around trees).

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack

Do they even check or require proof?

I'm getting my marriage certificate in 8 weeks. I wonder if I should just call now and tell them I'm married. Hah.

Cheeto

Anybody from California here? What do your temporary tags look like? My car came in without any but it has this small piece of paper stuck to the windshield that has the VIN, my name, a date and it says it's good for 60 days. Is that the temporary registration?

His insurance rates are paying for what he might do to other people and their cars, moreso than his own car.
Yup, and Toronto/GTA prices are just stupid high, especially with the high cost of fraud, which is the insurance companies' explanation on why it's high.

http://www.wheels.ca/news/we-pay-more-for-our-auto-insurance-here-than-anywhere-else-in-canada-the-question-is-why/

Barrigar, 39, says she only puts about 10,000 kilometres a year on her 13-year-old car, had a speeding ticket for five kilometres over the limit 10 years ago and is accident-free after 23 years of driving. Most the time she takes the TTC. For that, she pays $2,000 a year for insurance.

“Why is the average claim in Ontario $30,000 and the average claim in Alberta $3,500? Are we more brittle? I can’t explain that. It means people are targeting the benefit system in this province,” Steve Kee of the Insurance Bureau of Canada said at the time.

How much money do you have to spend? Rams are the nicest but also the most expensive, you'll also want a 3/4 ton to haul that much weight.

gcubed

has anyone read any initial reports about the ATS reliability? How has the CTS been? I really really like the ATS and was thinking of getting one but i dont know what to expect out of Cadillac

ascii42

has anyone read any initial reports about the ATS reliability? How has the CTS been? I really really like the ATS and was thinking of getting one but i dont know what to expect out of Cadillac

Probably soon to have really heard anything about the ATS. Most of the issues I've heard about the CTS have to deal with build quality (rattles, squeaks), rather than any mechanical reliability problems.

I'd recommend going on cadillacforums.com, they should be able to answer any questions you have.

The Nissan GTR has to be the car that retains its value better than any other current car. )9s still go for $65K Weren't they like $72K new?

I guess the BMW 1M may be better (higher priced than new) but I think that was a one year production. Crazy.

Superman00

Liverpool01
I think I'll wait until June when/if i make the switch from contract to perm lol.

But then... I probably should wait for 2014 model.

Yeah you should get the 2014 model, they are getting delivered around June-Aug I believe. BRZ has more option while FRS is more bared. That may be different for the 2014 models. After tax and everything I got my FRS for $27000 last July.

mkenyon

Banned
How much money do you have to spend? Rams are the nicest but also the most expensive, you'll also want a 3/4 ton to haul that much weight.
I'd be looking to buy used.

I'd have to check with my wife to be absolutely certain, a three horse trailer with three of our horses (cow horses for cutting aren't big, almost pony size) is around 6000-7000 lbs depending on the trailer we go with.

Her business partner has one of those huge diesel Silverados with a gooseneck for super long haul duty. This is more for going around town with ease.

*edit*

Also, just got an amazing offer for a 2014 Forester XT Premium for $24,200 w/ extended warranty. Would be trading in my 2011 Forester (non turbo) Premium. Should I bite?

forester-xt-lead-opt.jpg

you can't really haggle prices for scions right? Curious how much you can knock down on a brz, maybe a grand or so, which i theory should knock the base brz below fr-s.
I assume these 2 cars are still selling hot so probably can't hassle too much.

Was looking at sti's too, but idk why but I feel like it's a waste to get one when I live in metro atlanta where it's mostly flat terrain and snow sticks to the ground like maybe once every 2 years. :S

outside of miata and 86 any other sporty cars with good mileage at the mid 25k price range I should consider?

gcubed

Probably soon to have really heard anything about the ATS. Most of the issues I've heard about the CTS have to deal with build quality (rattles, squeaks), rather than any mechanical reliability problems.

I'd recommend going on cadillacforums.com, they should be able to answer any questions you have.

Thanks. Guess there hasn't been a disaster with it yet, it's why I asked about the CTS to see something a little longer on the market. I'm just very gun shy on first runs of cars.

Superman00

Liverpool01
you can't really haggle prices for scions right? Curious how much you can knock down on a brz, maybe a grand or so, which i theory should knock the base brz below fr-s.
I assume these 2 cars are still selling hot so probably can't hassle too much.

Was looking at sti's too, but idk why but I feel like it's a waste to get one when I live in metro atlanta where it's mostly flat terrain and snow sticks to the ground like maybe once every 2 years. :S

outside of miata and 86 any other sporty cars with good mileage at the mid 25k price range I should consider?

Yeah there is no haggling with scion, I was able to get the college grad rebates. You can haggle with subaru, but even now there aren't that many brz on the lot for them to be going that low. If you go for the 2013 model, there may be some on the lot under msrp.

Yeah, coverage is full and it is indeed GTA (Mississauga to be specific) so I'm getting shafted like a turkey. I had to cancel my bike insurance because of the very same reason ($200 a month).

*sigh* oh well!!! :p

You know whats NOT fun...Trying to find a company that is willing to insure a RHD car in this damn city. After a few weeks of trying I've FINALLY received 3 or so quotes. And one of them are through Facility. Yeah, shits crazy right now.

And I'm 28 with a clean driving record, two cars on account and house insurance.

N-Bomb

Id wait for the eventual STI model. The car is fun but it just needs another 50 HP.

Also for that 30k you could probably get a slightly used STI.

You can probably pick up 50hp with exhaust and a tune. Far cheaper than the hot version (which may or may not be an STi) will cost.

Edit:

New WRX concept. Lookin' closer to production. Wheels/arches still too big, shaved handles, weird headlights still, but closer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom