• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Automotive Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
2015-Mazda3-Leaked-Image-Front-and-Rear-Three-Quarters-623x438.jpg

The new Mazda 3 leaked.

The rear on that is amazing, kind of like the Porsche Panamera wagon concept.

So I gave the 911 a quick rinse to get the dust off of the poor thing after a drive. It already has a special place in my heart, but the paint definitely needs a respray in its future. I'm going to see if a good polish may restore it some.

Sorry for the large file sizes but imgur was being uncooperative and I guess minus doesn't do the same easy compression.

At first I wasn't sure on the color, but in person I love it, and it has wonderful depth in the right light (which you can't really see because my phone's camera is practically colorblind).

Edit: And yes, I was experimenting a little with lift-off oversteer on said drive. It is as easy and as exciting as everyone says. Best car ever.

snack

Hey GAF,

I scratched the underside of my front bumper of my Acura 2012 SH-AWD (section of black that is lowest to the ground and btw not my car, just found pic on google),

acura-tl-accessories.jpg

I want to get it replaced. Should I go to my Acura dealership and purchase one from them or get one from the internet? And how much should I be spending to replace it.

edit: I don't even know if that is considered the bumper. major car noob...

That's so awesome Dave. that is a classic I would own, and love to drive.

Thanks. And believe me it's going to see a lot of miles.

Hey GAF,

I scratched the underside of my front bumper of my Acura 2012 SH-AWD (section of black that is lowest to the ground and btw not my car, just found pic on google), I want to get it replaced. Should I go to my Acura dealership and purchase one from them or get one from the internet? And how much should I be spending to replace it.

Doesn't hurt to check the internet first, try looking for a front valance or front spoiler. Maybe just a front lip, something like that. I bet you $1 it'll be several hundred or more to replace, so if it's just black plastic right close to the ground and mostly out of sight, just spray the thing black.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Hey GAF,

I scratched the underside of my front bumper of my Acura 2012 SH-AWD (section of black that is lowest to the ground and btw not my car, just found pic on google),

I want to get it replaced. Should I go to my Acura dealership and purchase one from them or get one from the internet? And how much should I be spending to replace it.

That's called a bumper skirt. I've destroyed mine a million times to the point it damaged the bumper enough. For my car, it cost less than $100 (bolts, what not, are extra). You might be able to find a shop to do it for you for like $150-200 including parts.

I'd just find a local shop and get an estimate. They can even give you a list of parts.

N-Bomb

So I gave the 911 a quick rinse to get the dust off of the poor thing after a drive. It already has a special place in my heart, but the paint definitely needs a respray in its future. I'm going to see if a good polish may restore it some.

At first I wasn't sure on the color, but in person I love it, and it has wonderful depth in the right light (which you can't really see because my phone's camera is practically colorblind).

Is that a factory colour? Looks nice... congrats, btw.

sca2511

GTI: Dat VW reliability, or lack thereof lol. Plus, 263hp/280ft-lb in the MS3 and 200hp/207ft-lb in the GTI. I think the winner there is clear.
My MK6 has been great, no issues. I read it's one of the more reliable platforms VW has had. Also read that the power is underrated.

Agree with the WRX interior.

I'm actually not liking the rear end of the Mazda 3, but the front looks fantastic.

Hey Car-GAF - I'm finally ready to buy a car (my first in like 7 years) and I have a couple of stupid questions about the process. Basically I want to find a car online, go to the dealer to test drive, and be ready to buy it and drive off the lot that day if its the right car/deal.

1) How does buying insurance work? If I go to a dealer and find the car I want, do I need insurance before I leave the lot? Are you supposed to get insurance before you actually buy the car? If so, how? I don't have any car insurance now.

2) I have renters insurance through Progressive, and I like my rate. I'm thinking I'll just see if I can get a good bundled rate through them (I hear it can be cheaper if you bundle). Anyone have experience with Progressive for auto insurance? Good? Bad?

3) Do you do the registration stuff through the dealer? Or do I need to do that separately? Again, is this something I need to do before I actually get the car (not sure how that would be possible if I don't know what car it is)?

4) I want to get a certified, pre-owned 2012 Honda CR-V EX-L. My priorities are reliability, safety, and fuel mileage. These CR-V's are supposed to be at the top of their class. I am having a baby soon, so I can't get something smaller, and don't want something bigger. Is this a good choice? I'm thinking I'll pay around $27k (that's about $1,000 less than sticker prices I see). Anyone have a CR-V? Like it? Hear anything bad I should know?

5) Do I need to set up financing first? Is it even worth thinking about financing through the dealer or do they never give you good rates on used cars? Do I just get pre-approved somewhere or something, and bring that info to the dealer? Again, I want to be able to drive the car off the lot. I expect to put $5-$7k down, finance the rest.

Rad Agast

Sorry for the large file sizes but imgur was being uncooperative and I guess minus doesn't do the same easy compression.

Edit: And yes, I was experimenting a little with lift-off oversteer on said drive. It is as easy and as exciting as everyone says. Best car ever.

Congrats. Beautiful car and probably my favorite from that period. Enjoy it.

That Porsche is definitely beautiful. Drive it around UTA so I can see it in person! Lol.

My MK6 has been great, no issues. I read it's one of the more reliable platforms VW has had. Also read that the power is underrated.

Yeah, it's preference for the most part. I personally would probably go for the GTI as it has a balance of comfort and performance, but I'd probably dump it as soon as something fails lol.

5) Do I need to set up financing first? Is it even worth thinking about financing through the dealer or do they never give you good rates on used cars? Do I just get pre-approved somewhere or something, and bring that info to the dealer? Again, I want to be able to drive the car off the lot. I expect to put $5-$7k down, finance the rest.

Yes yes yes.

Shop around for a loan that way you can see what kind of rate you can get. This is a very important, yet overlooked part of the car buying process. By having a loan established, you can use this as leverage against the dealer if they're not willing to give you a good rate. But don't talk about the rate or the loan you got until they start talking numbers to you, see if you can get a good rate through them but if they're not willing to work with you, then mention the loan and show proof that you have it, this will force their hand and they'll either match it or even go lower.

But the most important thing about car buying: "DON'T BE AFRAID TO SAY NO AND WALK OUT OF THERE." Caps for maximum emphasis.

Seriously. If it feels like you're getting ripped off, you're probably getting ripped off so walk out. If the salesman/finance manager is being pushy as hell, say no and and stick to it. Don't get pressured just because what they say makes sense at that moment. Car buying is an emotional process, they're gonna tug at your heartstrings to get as much money from you as possible.

That's a beautiful 911 Mr. Dave. One of the greatest. Mind sharing how much you got it for? I'm hoping to upgrade from my 944 in a few years. (college student)

sca2511

Yeah, it's preference for the most part. I personally would probably go for the GTI as it has a balance of comfort and performance, but I'd probably dump it as soon as something fails lol.
Pretty much the reason why I got mine. If it ever breaks down, I'll probably get the next model, haha. I don't see much competitors with a balance of comfort and power.

TylerD

Freaking beautiful man. Congrats.

edit: crap double post

Forsete

How is the finish?

My friend got a Subaru Forester (2012) and I was surprised by its plasticness.. almost as plasticky as my fathers old Chevy. :/

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
weird. its like the same interiors as the corolla. I guess i haven't sat in a modern toyota sedan in ages woops!

How would you rate the interior with the 86?
the Corolla is marketed in Europe as an Auris, the interiors look basically the same.

How is the finish?

My friend got a Subaru Forester (2012) and I was surprised by its plasticness.. almost as plasticky as my fathers old Chevy. :/
The Auris interior feels plasticky as hell, but it feels solid, so I don't care. The GT 86 also has a very plastic interior, but all surfaces you touch as a driver are leather-clad, so no big deal. As I posted somewhere farther up, I like the GT 86 interior because it has a distinct 80s/90s look and feel to it, which includes the plastic.

N-Bomb

Gotta say, although I hate hard plastic interiors, the touch surfaces are more important. I can deal with hard plastic as long as it doesn't rattle.

Yes yes yes.

Shop around for a loan that way you can see what kind of rate you can get. This is a very important, yet overlooked part of the car buying process. By having a loan established, you can use this as leverage against the dealer if they're not willing to give you a good rate. But don't talk about the rate or the loan you got until they start talking numbers to you, see if you can get a good rate through them but if they're not willing to work with you, then mention the loan and show proof that you have it, this will force their hand and they'll either match it or even go lower.

But the most important thing about car buying: "DON'T BE AFRAID TO SAY NO AND WALK OUT OF THERE." Caps for maximum emphasis.

Seriously. If it feels like you're getting ripped off, you're probably getting ripped off so walk out. If the salesman/finance manager is being pushy as hell, say no and and stick to it. Don't get pressured just because what they say makes sense at that moment. Car buying is an emotional process, they're gonna tug at your heartstrings to get as much money from you as possible.

Cool, thanks. I have been told by a dealer that I'm approved for 0.9% financing through Honda for a new car, so think I'm going with a 2013 CR-V EX-L. I'll just shop around a little bit to a few dealers for the best price. I'm finding I can do that from home a little bit too. These guys will send you an offer via email or whatever, you can negotiate over the phone a bit, then I can narrow down the places I actually want to travel to.

Someone else said I could also think about doing a 3-year lease at 10k miles a year, then just buy the car at the end of the lease (and not worry about how many miles I put on it). I dunno - I feel like I just want to have most of the payments out of the way up front, even if the monthly payments are a bit higher.

Buying a car - even a "lame" family car like this - is exciting!

Here's the pic of my sick ride:
3245584975u_3x424x360f_2013_honda_cr-v

Forsete

Gotta say, although I hate hard plastic interiors, the touch surfaces are more important. I can deal with hard plastic as long as it doesn't rattle.

The Auris interior feels plasticky as hell, but it feels solid, so I don't care. The GT 86 also has a very plastic interior, but all surfaces you touch as a driver are leather-clad, so no big deal. As I posted somewhere farther up, I like the GT 86 interior because it has a distinct 80s/90s look and feel to it, which includes the plastic.

Solid, not rattling and not having that obvious plastic look I can accept.
The Subaru had a plastic steering wheel though, that would be very hard to overcome. ;)

In other news, most sold cars for may 2013 in the grand republic of Sweden.

1. Volvo V70, 7 756 (8 996), -13,68 %
2. Volkswagen Passat, 5 833 (7 350), -20,63 %
3. Volvo S/V60, 5 574 (5 553), +0,37 %
4. Volvo V40, 4 065 (–), –
5. Volkswagen Golf, 3 869 (4 294), -9,89 %
6. Volvo XC60, 3 350 (2 433), +37,69 %
7. Kia Cee’d, 2 484 (2 579), -3,68 %
8. BMW 3-serie, 2 210 (2 071), +6,71
9. Audi A4, 1 903 (1 919), -0,83 %
10. BMW 5-serie, 1 839 (1 927), -4,56

() = compared to previous month.

We still love our Volvos, and our station wagons. :p

coldfoot

Banned
Auris looks WAY Better than the Corolla here in the US.
Also still 4-speed auto on the base model LOL, Elantra has 6-spd auto even in the lowest trim.

Cool, thanks. I have been told by a dealer that I'm approved for 0.9% financing through Honda for a new car, so think I'm going with a 2013 CR-V EX-L. I'll just shop around a little bit to a few dealers for the best price. I'm finding I can do that from home a little bit too. These guys will send you an offer via email or whatever, you can negotiate over the phone a bit, then I can narrow down the places I actually want to travel to.

Someone else said I could also think about doing a 3-year lease at 10k miles a year, then just buy the car at the end of the lease (and not worry about how many miles I put on it). I dunno - I feel like I just want to have most of the payments out of the way up front, even if the monthly payments are a bit higher.

Buying a car - even a "lame" family car like this - is exciting!

Here's the pic of my sick ride:
3245584975u_3x424x360f_2013_honda_cr-v

are 2014 crv's out yet? You should wait until then to save a few more grands.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Solid, not rattling and not having that obvious plastic look I can accept.
The Subaru had a plastic steering wheel though, that would be very hard to overcome. ;)

In other news, most sold cars for may 2013 in the grand republic of Sweden.

1. Volvo V70, 7 756 (8 996), -13,68 %
2. Volkswagen Passat, 5 833 (7 350), -20,63 %
3. Volvo S/V60, 5 574 (5 553), +0,37 %
4. Volvo V40, 4 065 (–), –
5. Volkswagen Golf, 3 869 (4 294), -9,89 %
6. Volvo XC60, 3 350 (2 433), +37,69 %
7. Kia Cee’d, 2 484 (2 579), -3,68 %
8. BMW 3-serie, 2 210 (2 071), +6,71
9. Audi A4, 1 903 (1 919), -0,83 %
10. BMW 5-serie, 1 839 (1 927), -4,56

() = compared to previous month.

We still love our Volvos, and our station wagons. :p
the Auris steering wheel is leather, fortunately :)

Edit: Here is a shot of the Hybrid interior. The lesser editions have a metallic-blueish plastic instead of the leather dashboard trim, though.
2013-toyota-auris-hybrid-007.jpg

note: AT drivers have a small
stick

are 2014 crv's out yet? You should wait until then to save a few more grands.

No. Probably this fall. I can't wait that long though - need a car before August. It was redesigned for 2012 though, so I wouldn't expect huge changes for 2014 and wouldn't expect an enormous price difference in a new 2013 vs. a new 2014.

Also, I think dealers are already starting to clear out their 2013 inventory. I'm getting quotes below invoice prices.

GungHo

Single-handedly caused Exxon-Mobil to sue FOX, start World War 3
No. Probably this fall. I can't wait that long though - need a car before August. It was redesigned for 2012 though, so I wouldn't expect huge changes for 2014 and wouldn't expect an enormous price difference in a new 2013 vs. a new 2014.

Also, I think dealers are already starting to clear out their 2013 inventory. I'm getting quotes below invoice prices.

We have a 2013 CRV. They're great for what they are. I'd shop it against the new RAV4 and the new Forester (if they're out yet), though. I wish that we had the opportunity to shop it against the new RAV4, but Toyota was being slow as shit about getting them on the market, and the dealers only wanted to try to sell me one of the old ones, so we gave up.

And, we paid 28k for ours (EX-L, no NAV) and got it when they were fresh on the market back in November/December. If you're in Houston, I can give you the dealer info, otherwise can't help.

Forsete

People who do not buy a Mercedes-Benz, because they think it is:

a. ugly
b. expensive
c. unreliable
d. vulgar
e. impossible to see the three pointed star in the dark

That last group is now served:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Il5-uuSXpDk

f: Rust

Regarding e, pretty tacky. :/ Also, isnt that illegal in Europe after nightfall? IIRC only two points of lights shining forward. For example you can not drive with your regular lights + fog lights.. unless you switch to position lights + fog lights or something like that.

Confusing. :p

We have a 2013 CRV. They're great for what they are. I'd shop it against the new RAV4 and the new Forester (if they're out yet), though. I wish that we had the opportunity to shop it against the new RAV4, but Toyota was being slow as shit about getting them on the market, and the dealers only wanted to try to sell me one of the old ones, so we gave up.

And, we paid 28k for ours (EX-L, no NAV) and got it when they were fresh on the market back in November/December. If you're in Houston, I can give you the dealer info, otherwise can't help.

Cool, thanks. My wife is dead set against the RAV-4, and doesn't like the Forester either. The 2014 Forester is available. I don't love how the Forester looks, but that 2.0L turbo version especially seems like a great car for the money. A little pricier than the CR-V if you include leather, but you get more HP and a nav system (which we aren't getting in the CR-V EX-L). So instead of paying $27-ish it would be more like $29k. Pretty comparable.

The best offer I'm getting now on the 2013 CR-V EX-L (no nav, no rear-seat DVD) is $27,030, plus tax/registration/delivery. 0.9% financing for 5 years. Seems pretty good?

with Another offer is $27,535, and "all-in" price (with 8% tax, tags, delivery) is $29,963. With a 20% downpayment (~$6k) and 0.9% APR monthly payments work out to $408. I'm happy with that, but that was just the first offer so we'll see how much more it can come down.

I'm kind of surprised the first offers are that far below MSRP, and actually below invoice. Is that normal? KBB says invoice is $27,860. MSRP is $29,625.

Just got another quote for $27,215, they said "that is certainly negotiable."

How low should I offer?

coldfoot

Banned
Cool, thanks. My wife is dead set against the RAV-4, and doesn't like the Forester either. The 2014 Forester is available. I don't love how the Forester looks, but that 2.0L turbo version especially seems like a great car for the money. A little pricier than the CR-V if you include leather, but you get more HP and a nav system (which we aren't getting in the CR-V EX-L). So instead of paying $27-ish it would be more like $29k. Pretty comparable.
Did you try the CX-5, as it certainly looks better than any other car in the segment IMO, and it's said that it drives better as well.

Did you try the CX-5, as it certainly looks better than any other car in the segment IMO, and it's said that it drives better as well.

We did check out the CX-5 at an auto show, but didn't drive one. You're right that it looks better than the CR-V (that's not hard to do). Its another $1,000 or so for the comparable version (Grand Touring Sport, w/2.5L @ 185hp). They have the same 0.9% APR offer right now. It also gets better gas mileage than the CR-V.

I'm just not sold on Mazdas. I know they are supposed to be good cars, I just don't know that they beat the long-term reliability of Hondas. I've had two cars in my life - a '93 Accord (owned this in 2001-2003, drove it across the country twice) and a '96 Civic (got that one in 2003 when the Accord got stolen). Both were awesome cars and I never had a problem with them, ever. I also like the interior of the CR-V better than the CX-5. It might not actually be (I haven't checked the dimensions) but it feels roomier. Consumer Reports gives the Honda better reliability ratings also.

Reliability and Safety are my two primary concerns. Safety-wise, I think they are comparable. But based on what I've heard the CR-V is bulletproof long-term and Honda just has the best long-term reliability reputation. I think Honda's hold their value longer as well.

If someone has a CX-5 and can sell me on it, I haven't completely made up my mind yet.

coldfoot

Banned
We did check out the CX-5 at an auto show, but didn't drive one. You're right that it looks better than the CR-V (that's not hard to do). Its another $1,000 or so for the comparable version (Grand Touring Sport, w/2.5L @ 185hp). They have the same 0.9% APR offer right now. It also gets better gas mileage than the CR-V.

I'm just not sold on Mazdas. I know they are supposed to be good cars, I just don't know that they beat the long-term reliability of Hondas. I've had two cars in my life - a '93 Accord (owned this in 2001-2003, drove it across the country twice) and a '96 Civic (got that one in 2003 when the Accord got stolen). Both were awesome cars and I never had a problem with them, ever. I also like the interior of the CR-V better than the CX-5. It might not actually be (I haven't checked the dimensions) but it feels roomier. Consumer Reports gives the Honda better reliability ratings also.

Reliability and Safety are my two primary concerns. Safety-wise, I think they are comparable. But based on what I've heard the CR-V is bulletproof long-term and Honda just has the best long-term reliability reputation. I think Honda's hold their value longer as well.

If someone has a CX-5 and can sell me on it, I haven't completely made up my mind yet.
Here are my arguments for the CX-5.
1. The $1000 extra gets you Xenon headlamps (think of it as a safety feature) and a 6-speed transmission which will give both better performance and fuel economy.
2. The only reason Mazda's aren't as reliable as Honda's is due to their joint venture with Ford in the late 90's/early 2000's. As a rule of thumb, WHERE a car is made is just as important, if not more important, than the brand. The CX-5 is made in Japan and Mazda's that were made there have always had excellent reliability, as good or better than Honda's, especially those made in Ohio like the CR-V.

The only downside I can think of it is it might be slightly smaller inside. You'll need to check it out yourself.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
EU spec Corolla:

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.autoblog.com/media/2013/06/001-2014-toyota-corolla-europe628opt.jpg[/MG]

much better. more pics:

[url]http://www.autoblog.com/photos/2014-toyota-corolla-euro-spec/med/#photo-5942447/[/url]

I also love the retro clocks on them. When I first saw them in the Prius I thought wtf but now I think it's neat.[/QUOTE]
Imteresting, so Toyota will bring back the Corolla brand to Europe.

PriitV

Does anyone have any experience with Nissan Leaf in a colder climate? More like -15C..20C through the year. Would a 150km trip be too much for the little battery?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom