• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Automotive Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

GungHo

Single-handedly caused Exxon-Mobil to sue FOX, start World War 3
Cool, thanks. My wife is dead set against the RAV-4, and doesn't like the Forester either. The 2014 Forester is available. I don't love how the Forester looks, but that 2.0L turbo version especially seems like a great car for the money. A little pricier than the CR-V if you include leather, but you get more HP and a nav system (which we aren't getting in the CR-V EX-L). So instead of paying $27-ish it would be more like $29k. Pretty comparable.

The best offer I'm getting now on the 2013 CR-V EX-L (no nav, no rear-seat DVD) is $27,030, plus tax/registration/delivery. 0.9% financing for 5 years. Seems pretty good?

with Another offer is $27,535, and "all-in" price (with 8% tax, tags, delivery) is $29,963. With a 20% downpayment (~$6k) and 0.9% APR monthly payments work out to $408. I'm happy with that, but that was just the first offer so we'll see how much more it can come down.

I'm kind of surprised the first offers are that far below MSRP, and actually below invoice. Is that normal? KBB says invoice is $27,860. MSRP is $29,625.

Just got another quote for $27,215, they said "that is certainly negotiable."

How low should I offer?

Go to truecar.com, put in your zip and selections. That will give you what's going for the market, with a spread of what people are actually paying. $27k sounds good to me, but I don't know your market or what kind of fees, etc you pay in your fiefdom. 0.9% financing sounds good as well. We bought ours with cash, so can't compare the rate we got.

Cool, thanks. My wife is dead set against the RAV-4, and doesn't like the Forester either. The 2014 Forester is available. I don't love how the Forester looks, but that 2.0L turbo version especially seems like a great car for the money. A little pricier than the CR-V if you include leather, but you get more HP and a nav system (which we aren't getting in the CR-V EX-L). So instead of paying $27-ish it would be more like $29k. Pretty comparable.

Have you considered the CX-5?

RAV-4 vs. Forester vs. CX-5

Go to truecar.com, put in your zip and selections. That will give you what's going for the market, with a spread of what people are actually paying. $27k sounds good to me, but I don't know your market or what kind of fees, etc you pay in your fiefdom. 0.9% financing sounds good as well. We bought ours with cash, so can't compare the rate we got.

Ah - never seen truecar.com - thanks!

Yeah looks like these offers I'm getting are right on target, and that I can actually get even a little below TrueCar's estimated price. TrueCar estimates $27,243, which they say is "unusually low and an outstanding deal." First offer I got was a couple hundred below that. I feel like my counter is going to be somewhat arbitrary - I dunno, $26,500?

That would be cheaper than you see some of the 2012's with 15,000 miles selling for. My only guess is that they are anticipating the 2014 models in a couple months or so and clearing out 2013 inventory.

Edit: Ah seems TrueCar includes destination charges, so the dealers are offering me a few hundred above this. Good to know. Thanks again!

I'm just not sold on Mazdas. I know they are supposed to be good cars, I just don't know that they beat the long-term reliability of Hondas.

There's still thousands of Miata's dating back in the 90's that are still driven hard and raced in autocross and in the track. Mazda's, aside from the rotaries, have bulletproof reliability. The only reason why nobody talks about Mazda's reliability as much as Toyota's or Honda is coz those dudes are probably driving their old ass cars real hard instead of sitting behind a keyboard and discussing how reliable their car is haha.

But yeah, the CX-5 isn't really that roomy. That's probably my only complaint about it if I had one. It still felt like a great car though. From sitting in the back, it felt rather sporty and even at FWD, it felt tossable. I wouldn't say it's a Miata in terms of driving ability, but for a CUV? It's fantastic. The only other CUV that had a similar driving ability was a Porsche Cayenne, and it's only because that thing has too much power.

So that teaser by mazda was for this promo video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACiMZC6q-38&feature=player_embedded

was an interesting proposition lol.

The hardtop is surprisingly great for a car starting at 25k. Soft top is still the best because it takes like a second to flip off and on if you have the upper body strength.

Yeah, that's why I never talked about it after I posted the teaser lolol. I saw it and I was like... well, that's kinda lame and cool I guess haha.

But yeah, soft top is definitely the best. Plus, it can help you with women in certain cases. I remember sitting in a stop light, girl asked me if we could drop the top, and we ended up dropping it together, bumping hands and elbows and stuff haha. I definitely scored some extra brownie points that night. XD

We have had way too many posts about new suvs.

Looked at an fd today but it was leaking way too much oil for me to even consider.also didnt have much prior documentation.

Back to looking for another 6 months to find one close.

EU spec Corolla:

001-2014-toyota-corolla-europe628opt.jpg

much better. more pics:

http://www.autoblog.com/photos/2014-toyota-corolla-euro-spec/med/#photo-5942447/

I also love the retro clocks on them. When I first saw them in the Prius I thought wtf but now I think it's neat.

US Toyota: go home you're drunk.
The EU version looks better, I won't say good because it just isn't.

Mazda's are extremely reliable, I don't know why people say otherwise.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
how reliable are speed3's?

Turbo probably hurts reliability a bit right?

Quite a few 400whp big-turbo Speed3s out there. I have $57k on the original turbo on my Speed6 (same one in the Speed3), and it's been great. Don't go full-throttle before 3k RPM. Don't do stupid launches. Don't go crazy on mods without also adding the prerequisite "make sure shit don't break" upgrade mods (motor mounts, diff mounts, etc).

Picked this up today. 870 miles on the clock for a 2011 Z06 with the Z07 Ultimate performance package. Fuckin love it. The power delivery, brakes and handling are just ridiculous. Lots of trackdays coming up...

I cancelled my C7 orders due to the deal I got on this car. I'll drive it for a few years and then pick it up a second year, C7Z to replace it. No way I'm downgrading after having a taste of this.

why are the images so big...?

Picked this up today. 870 miles on the clock for a 2011 Z06 with the Z07 Ultimate performance package. Fuckin love it. The power delivery, brakes and handling are just ridiculous. Lots of trackdays coming up...

I cancelled my C7 orders due to the deal I got on this car. I'll drive it for a few years and then pick it up a second year, C7Z to replace it. No way I'm downgrading after having a taste of this.

Zv43K5S.jpg

mcaSXyG.jpg

Y7fKX5L.jpg

put quotes around the images.

You definitely called that one. Well done.

Lol thanks. It's been done before IIRC, it was kinda easy to figure it coz it just wouldn't make any sense for Mazda Canada to unveil a new car haha.

how reliable are speed3's?

Turbo probably hurts reliability a bit right?

It kinda depends. The 1st gen MS3's are notorious for the "zoom zoom bang bang" issue. Don't remember how the thing really worked, but basically say you upgrade a performance part of the car, like an air intake, you need to remap the ECU or do something ridiculous because some random part will not work properly, thereby causing the engine to fail.

Lol my explanation is totally a massive fail, but I think I'm getting close. Just google search Mazdaspeed3/6 blown turbo, and you'll find better information about this.

Either way, they're fairly reliable while stock. Drop some performance mods on it, you're probably gonna be in a world of hurt if you don't know what you're doing.

Zv43K5S.jpg

mcaSXyG.jpg

Y7fKX5L.jpg

Put the images in quotes!! Lol.

Nice car btw!

reilo

It kinda depends. The 1st gen MS3's are notorious for the "zoom zoom bang bang" issue. Don't remember how the thing really worked, but basically say you upgrade a performance part of the car, like an air intake, you need to remap the ECU or do something ridiculous because some random part will not work properly, thereby causing the engine to fail.

Lol my explanation is totally a massive fail, but I think I'm getting close. Just google search Mazdaspeed3/6 blown turbo, and you'll find better information about this.

That's not... true. It's more likely from a combination of people getting themselves an AccessPort and retuning the car with a few bolt-ons (intake, headers, manifold, downpipe, exhaust, BPV) and pushing it too far on the small turbo. Only people that I know with Speed3/Speed6es that have blown their shit are ones that went big-turbo and tried shooting for 400whp+.

My car has CAI, BPV, and exhaust and it hasn't blown shit or needed to be retuned.

That's not... true. It's more likely from a combination of people getting themselves an AccessPort and retuning the car with a few bolt-ons (intake, headers, manifold, downpipe, exhaust, BPV) and pushing it too far on the small turbo. Only people that I know with Speed3/Speed6es that have blown their shit are ones that went big-turbo and tried shooting for 400whp+.

My car has CAI, BPV, and exhaust and it hasn't blown shit or needed to be retuned.

Interesting. That was my understanding of it when I was researching MS3's 2 years ago... I guess I was completely off then lol.

I guess this also explains how the 2nd gen MS3's instantly became reliable. Good to know its not as bad as I thought it was.

reilo

Interesting. That was my understanding of it when I was researching MS3's 2 years ago... I guess I was completely off then lol.

I guess this also explains how the 2nd gen MS3's instantly became reliable. Good to know its not as bad as I thought it was.

Yeah, the other issue is that Speeds don't have great HPFP so that needs to be upgraded because it can't get enough fuel to the engine on higher power, so the ECU then tries to compensate and blah blah blah.

The other big issue is that there have been some shady as fuck and downright corrupt shops and parts makers for Speeds. The stories I've witnessed...

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef

congrats! I'd love to testdrive one, but Corvettes are quite rare in this part of the world.

Imteresting, so Toyota will bring back the Corolla brand to Europe.

still bogles my mind why they changed the corolla into the auris in europe. and now they basically release an auris sedan and name that one corolla again.

btw i think that the new us corolla looks better than the eu version.

asdad123

Bought a new car today!

2014 Kia Sorento LX Fully Loaded

Talked them down from $34,800 to $30,500 and got 0.9% financing so I think I did pretty good.

Really liking the car so far. Its my first SUV. I recently started a job in construction, and a sedan wasnt cutting it.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
I drove the F-Type V8S today.

I cried tears of joy. The car is absolutely incredible. Pure theater. Pure bliss. Pure excitement.

Rad Agast

I drove the F-Type V8S today.

I cried tears of joy. The car is absolutely incredible. Pure theater. Pure bliss. Pure excitement.

Did you try the V6 also? Since I'm disappointed with the Alpha I've been eyeing this beauty for a while now. Only down side for me is the convertible top.

Dead Man

So, I'll take a chance that someone in here can help. I have a 1969 mustang I am refreshing (not full on restoring) and I'm trying to source panels for it. Now I know they are common as hell in the US, but in Australia they cost a fortune, about 50% more even after shipping from the US. So I want to get some fenders, quarter panels and door skins from the US, but I am a bit worried about buying them without seeing them, considering I will have little recourse if they are crap. Does anyone know any good sources for panels that would ship O/S? I've been looking qat this site since they seem to have almost everything I want, has anyone used them for anything? https://www.cal-mustang.com/index.aspx

congrats! I'd love to testdrive one, but Corvettes are quite rare in this part of the world.

Thanks and congrats on yours also. Seeing how much they tend to cost overseas,I can imagine the rare bit.

Nice vette! Congrats. Going to drive it much?

I'm not one for garage queens. My c5z has over 100kmiles including track days and many back road runs.

I plan to do a fair amount of track days per year this car and then sell it for a c7z in about 3-4 years. Unless someone else comes out with a better performing car around the same price at that time.

Arucardo

I get that it's meant to be a show car, but won't those transparent rims overheat the brake discs? Not seeing any holes on them for airflow and I doubt that just getting air from one side of the disc is enough to keep them cool under heavier braking.

Watevaman

I get that it's meant to be a show car, but won't those transparent rims overheat the brake discs? Not seeing any holes on them for airflow and I doubt that just getting air from one side of the disc is enough to keep them cool under heavier braking.

That's what I was thinking, but as you said, it's a show car. It won't be braking from anything above 30mph most likely. I'm not sure what the rims are made of, but I also see the heat warping them.

Seanbob11

I'm looking into upgrading the speakers/amp in my Mini. Does anyone have any knowledge of what brands to go for or avoid? I've been looking at these and was wondering if anyone has any experience with them or if I should go with another brand.

Bob Ross

After much debate and internal conflict, it is looking like I will be heading towards the Mazda 3 hatchback with the 6spd Man, has anyone heard of common problems with the Mazda 3 since it came out? I've heard some horror stories about the a/c but I think they may just be flukes.

AlphaSnake

Did you try the V6 also? Since I'm disappointed with the Alpha I've been eyeing this beauty for a while now. Only down side for me is the convertible top.

No, I don't really care too much for the V6S. It doesn't interest me since it isn't any faster than my Z now and I'm looking to upgrade, but I'm sure it's a fine motor and very quick.

The coupes are coming out in October, so no worries there. I'm hoping that by this time next year I'll get myself a V8S Coupe.

reilo

After much debate and internal conflict, it is looking like I will be heading towards the Mazda 3 hatchback with the 6spd Man, has anyone heard of common problems with the Mazda 3 since it came out? I've heard some horror stories about the a/c but I think they may just be flukes.

New Mazda3 is out this fall with a complete redesign. I'd wait if I were you.

But in general, Mazda3s are very reliable.

would the redesign speed3 come out at a similar time as 3?

Doubt it. The 2013 MS3's are technically the start of the 2.5 generation... assuming the redesigned MZ3 comes out spring 2014, then the redesigned MS3 wouldn't be released until 2015. Of course this is all assuming the redesign shares the same exact platform as the current gen. Otherwise, it could be more than a year as Mazdaspeed actually takes their sweet in developing their products.

Also, there's still no current gen Mazdaspeed Miata in sight. :(

N-Bomb

Curb-weight too high. Would not enjoy.

A lower curb weight makes any car better. To a point, of course. But any modern mass-market automobile minus 500lbs will be a better car. This is irrefutable.

The Tron Audi R8 the West Coast Customs did was pretty cool.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6yCUv2MtTQw

My friend's MS6 came with red wheel well lights, and I think it looked pretty cool, but he killed them at some point. Maybe I should Tron up my wheels after it's painted.

reilo

A lower curb weight makes any car better. To a point, of course. But any modern mass-market automobile minus 500lbs will be a better car. This is irrefutable.

It would be louder, less safe, and drive like a go-kart. Do you really want your daily driver to be that? Then you should buy an Ariel Atom.

N-Bomb

It would be louder, less safe, and drive like a go-kart. Do you really want your daily driver to be that? Then you should buy an Ariel Atom.

Why would it be any of those things? I didn't claim any specifics here.

I'd argue that cars were safe enough back before we had 35 airbags in them, anyway. And yeah, I wouldn't mind that as my dd. Boring cars are for carrying dead people.

AlphaSnake

Cars were NOT safe "enough".

There's no such thing as safe enough, dude. Come on. That's like saying bullet proof armor is safe enough.

This car right now with a massive V8 and a supercharger and a convertible and a motorized spoiler weighs 3600lbs - that's incredible today no matter how you dice it. Not to mention the build quality of this interior is simply unreal, I would not be the least bit surprised if this thing never once squeaks or rattles in its lifetime. Tap anything inside the interior and you will not hear one hollow panel anywhere, everything is just incredibly sturdy. It's quite shocking, really.

Once the coupes are out, you can bet your bottom dollar you'll see a 3300lb car, which puts it squarely in 370Z weight territory, and just a bit more than a 911S - though with 100HP more.

Cars were NOT safe "enough".

There's no such thing as safe enough, dude. Come on. That's like saying bullet proof armor is safe enough.

This car right now with a massive V8 and a supercharger and a convertible and a motorized spoiler weighs 3600lbs - that's incredible today no matter how you dice it. Not to mention the build quality of this interior is simply unreal, I would not be the least bit surprised if this thing never once squeaks or rattles in its lifetime. Tap anything inside the interior and you will not hear one hollow panel anywhere, everything is just incredibly sturdy. It's quite shocking, really.

Once the coupes are out, you can bet your bottom dollar you'll see a 3300lb car, which puts it squarely in 370Z weight territory, and just a bit more than a 911S - though with 100HP more.
What automobile are you talking about?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom