• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Automotive Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bob Ross

So I went and test drove both the Mazda 3 and the Focus today. The interior on both are about equal it seems, the ride on the Focus was much more subdued and the cloth seats felt a little cheaper but softer. The Mazda was much tighter with the suspension and rigid seats. If I can get the ford with the interior upgrade for the right price I will probably go with that, if not then I'll probably go with the Mazda when it cones to base models.

So a while ago I was on the hunt for a particular set of Rays Volk TE37's. These were only available in the Japanese market and were limited edition run.

After months of searching Yahoo Japan auctions, I was coming up with sizes with offsets which were too high for the car I'm planning to run them on.

I FINALLY was able to find a pair in the size I wanted for the rear. After debating the purchase for a bit (it took months to find the rears, how long would it be to find the fronts!?) I decided to just go for it. The price was right for a brand new pair, and I was feeling lucky.

Well those arrived not to long ago, and I've been looking for a pair for the front. Well a set popped up on YAJ, and I JUST purchased it, so it looks like I got a full set in sizes I like with the option for spares.

I can't wait till they arrive :)

Everyone should just get a JDM Silvia and be done with it. No more questions about minivans or SUVs or Ford Focuses! Just get a Silvia!

*falls off cliff into bed*

You'll be happy to know that importing one is what I'm currently doing. I've been trying to find one I like through a local importer. I only found three so far (that meet my standards) at the Japanese auction houses (and private dealerships). One dealer wanted WAY more then it was actually worth, and the other I was the losing bidder (second highest price).

There's one I have lined up at the auction house that goes up for sale sometime next week.

N-Bomb

So a while ago I was on the hunt for a particular set of Rays Volk TE37's. These were only available in the Japanese market and were limited edition run.

After months of searching Yahoo Japan auctions, I was coming up with sizes with offsets which were too high for the car I'm planning to run them on.

I FINALLY was able to find a pair in the size I wanted for the rear. After debating the purchase for a bit (it took months to find the rears, how long would it be to find the fronts!?) I decided to just go for it. The price was right for a brand new pair, and I was feeling lucky.

Well those arrived not to long ago, and I've been looking for a pair for the front. Well a set popped up on YAJ, and I JUST purchased it, so it looks like I got a full set in sizes I like with the option for spares.

I can't wait till they arrive :)

You'll be happy to know that importing one is what I'm currently doing. I've been trying to find one I like through a local importer. I only found three so far (that meet my standards) at the Japanese auction houses (and private dealerships). One dealer wanted WAY more then it was actually worth, and the other I was the losing bidder (second highest price).

There's one I have lined up at the auction house that goes up for sale sometime next week.

Good luck! I've always wanted TE-37s, but price, and on this car, fitment.

Fun at my tuner's today - dude had brought his car there for some reason, and they were trying to figure out all afternoon what was wrong with it. They were replacing coil packs as I left. Wonky code readings.

Everyone should just get a JDM Silvia and be done with it. No more questions about minivans or SUVs or Ford Focuses! Just get a Silvia!

Too bad all the ricers have ruined every Silvia that exists in America, and we never got the fantastic S15. :(

Your car just looks like a silly grinning red blood cell :3

Lol, have you seen the facelifted 3rd gen models?

2012-mazda-mx-5-miata-se-velocity-red-photo-463358-s-1280x782.jpg

That's what I'd call a silly grinning red blood cell haha. Also, I know everybody hates that smiley face but I wish mine had a more pronounced smiley face.

Mine looks like an :0 instead of an :D and I much prefer the :D lol.

Too bad all the ricers have ruined every Silvia that exists in America, and we never got the fantastic S15. :(

Lol, have you seen the facelifted 3rd gen models?

That's what I'd call a silly grinning red blood cell haha. Also, I know everybody hates that smiley face but I wish mine had a more pronounced smiley face.

Yeah was talking about the latest one. Hope the next one won't look like the recent revamped 6's.

Looks like they have big puppy noses D:

huh... so was with my mom this weekend and she has a handicap pass thing, and we were going to some gathering at a local park and noticed that there was one of those bigass trailer BBQ grills taking up 2 handicap parking spaces. Chatted with the cop on duty and he said you can get a permit for that...

that's kinda... backwards? Why not use a parking space that isn't handicapped?

Rad Agast

because plastic.

You have the right to enjoy your new toy. Please try not to rice it up so much.

On another note. Since I'm past the 18k km on the BRZ, tyre ware is making it more fun to drive. Still on the Michelin Primes. Will rotate again after 1k or so. I'm sure I can ware them out before end of summer over here.

N-Bomb

lol, have you seen the facelifted 3rd gen models?

I think the smileyface may make any car better. Example:
N8f1tJl.jpg

Also in related news, some dude drew up some lines on one of those pics of the camo'd WRX @ the Ring, and it looks FANTASTIC.
jAYYxZy.jpg

Pfft please...I know there's a ton of dumb wanna be drift kids who have never seen the track driving around "drift missiles" but there's a TON of rad looking cars out there...

I think the smileyface may make any car better. Example:

I agree. I don't get why the auto press and most people really hate that smile. It's not like you can see the smiley face behind the wheel. -__-

Speaking of smiley faces, here's my bro's new Mazdaspeed3 and my 6+ year old Miata earlier in a mini photoshoot lol.

Pfft please...I know there's a ton of dumb wanna be drift kids who have never seen the track driving around "drift missiles" but there's a TON of rad looking cars out there...

Indeed. I wasn't necessarily saying that there's no good looking Silvia's out there, but the market for them is shrinking and the decent examples have been sold so all you'll find are ones that are beaten up to death or have a ton of issues that aren't worth dealing with.

So I went and test drove both the Mazda 3 and the Focus today. The interior on both are about equal it seems, the ride on the Focus was much more subdued and the cloth seats felt a little cheaper but softer. The Mazda was much tighter with the suspension and rigid seats. If I can get the ford with the interior upgrade for the right price I will probably go with that, if not then I'll probably go with the Mazda when it cones to base models.

I have a 2013 Focus and I think it's a great car, really comfortable ride, great fuel economy, lots of pep. I don't think it will do you wrong.

N-Bomb

I agree. I don't get why the auto press and most people really hate that smile. It's not like you can see the smiley face behind the wheel. -__-

Speaking of smiley faces, here's my bro's new Mazdaspeed3 and my 6+ year old Miata earlier in a mini photoshoot lol.

Dat red... I think we might have a winner.

You could always just get the updated bumper, or do you not care enough?

BTW, clean your camera's sensor, you've got some dust spots onnit. :)

Dat red... I think we might have a winner.

You could always just get the updated bumper, or do you not care enough?

BTW, clean your camera's sensor, you've got some dust spots onnit. :)

Lol, my and my bro have noticed more people looking at the MS3 since he got it. Dunno why, but maybe that bright red, naughty smile, and burbling exhaust has something to do with it.

Also, it's too expensive to change the bumper. :(

According to a post on Miata.net I'd have to change the:

fog lights, fog housings, fog brackets, side markers, grill, grill ring, towhook cover, bolt covers, headlamps, probably lower splash pan and maybe wheel well liners...

-http://forum.miata.net/vb/showthread.php?t=436330

The headlights themselves cost $600+ on one side... so I'd need around $2k+ to change the bumper. At that price point, I might as well drop a turbo or a supercharger in it.

And thanks for the heads up! I haven't used my DSLR in a month or so, and I just grabbed it on the way out today, I'll give it a good clean tomorrow. We might head out again and grab some more pics at another spot if we have time.

Enron

Banned
Also in related news, some dude drew up some lines on one of those pics of the camo'd WRX @ the Ring, and it looks FANTASTIC.
jAYYxZy.jpg

Look at it scowling. It hates its very existence.

Or perhaps it hates the 'ring.

Or perhaps it hates himself because he's on the 'ring.

Poor devil.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
jAYYxZy.jpg

I can't even. Is there a high res version?

edit: lol I misread! I though he actually draw that on the CAR somehow :D

Indeed. I wasn't necessarily saying that there's no good looking Silvia's out there, but the market for them is shrinking and the decent examples have been sold so all you'll find are ones that are beaten up to death or have a ton of issues that aren't worth dealing with.

So what made your bro decide on speed3 vs other powerful hatches like wrx or focus st or gti?

WRX: Shittiest interior he's have ever seen, and I agree. For almost $30k, that interior looks like it came out of the 90's... even a current gen Toyota Corolla has a better looking interior than a WRX.

GTI: Dat VW reliability, or lack thereof lol. Plus, 263hp/280ft-lb in the MS3 and 200hp/207ft-lb in the GTI. I think the winner there is clear.

Focus ST: Knowing that it's a Ford, and it's a first model year car, there's basically nothing to prove that it's at least reliable. Had the ST come out sooner, it might've been a difficult choice for him.

Biggest reason why he chose the MS3 is coz it's one of his dream cars, he's been wanting one for a year or two now. Then COBB Tuning has a shop about 20 mins away from his work, so it was a no brainer at that point. What really sold him though was it's raunchyness... it's just absolute madness and he thinks it's extremely fun that way.

N-Bomb

WRX: Shittiest interior he's have ever seen, and I agree. For almost $30k, that interior looks like it came out of the 90's...

Speaking as someone w/ a 90s Impreza - not even. Layout seems fine, but all that hard plastic, oi. And it was somehow worse in the STi than it was in the basic Impreza!

Or maybe that was the Sport-tech vs. the regular STi or WRX? I can't remember!

sgjackson

Hello car gaf, I need your help with something.

My dad and I are looking at C5 Corvettes for funsies, and I'm thinking about getting one to replace my current car as a daily driver. I currently drive a '07 VW Jetta with 39k miles, and I'd probably be looking at C5s in the 15-16k range, and would trade in/sell the Jetta to help fund it. This is an obvious upgrade in car awesomeness, but I need someone to tell me why this is stupid, because:
-The insurance quote for a C5 is about the same as what I'm paying for the Jetta.
-Gas mileage is ~20 (as best as I can tell - realistically, it's probably lower) versus the 28 or so I get with the Jetta. This gap is widened by needing to buy premium fuel, but I'm willing to make up the difference.
-Googling for common issues with C5s show me things I can easily check for when purchasing the car, or fix myself.
-I can count the number of times I've used my backseat on one hand, and what traveling I do is pretty light. The maximum I'd need to haul might be a suitcase and backpack.

I'm willing to sit on the Jetta until a particularly good deal presents itself, and I'm sticking with the Vette because I have a soft spot for them and Dad's probably willing to help make up some of the price difference between the Jetta and the Vette.

from my ride in one... ms3 is definitely not a car for napping in lol. that torque in my brain.

Yup. It's the only car where I actually want to wear a seatbelt in the backseat lol. Not that I don't or anything... ;)

Speaking as someone w/ a 90s Impreza - not even. Layout seems fine, but all that hard plastic, oi. And it was somehow worse in the STi than it was in the basic Impreza!

Or maybe that was the Sport-tech vs. the regular STi or WRX? I can't remember!

Layout is definitely fine, but as you said, the hard plastic was such a huge turnoff. It doesn't even matter to me if an econobox has an interior that was lifted from the 70's... as long as it was functional, I'd be fine with it. But shitty interior in a sub $30k car in the year 2013... that's definitely something for the books.

Hopefully that new WRX has a better interior than the current generation.

I honestly don't see that as stupid because all the reasons you posted seem very positive. If you can come up with a list of negative reasons, then I think it'll be easier to tell if it's stupid or not.

Otherwise, as someone who also daily drives an impractical car, I say go for it lol.

First time on here, wondering what color you guys prefer on your cars? My current car is red, and I dont think I'll ever switch out of that shade of red.

PSB8606.jpg

sgjackson

I honestly don't see that as stupid because all the reasons you posted seem very positive. If you can come up with a list of negative reasons, then I think it'll be easier to tell if it's stupid or not.

Otherwise, as someone who also daily drives an impractical car, I say go for it lol.

I'm literally scraping the bottom of the barrel for reasons at this point. Stuff like "My apartment complex has speedbumps and I might be too lazy to install the things that help with that."

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
I test drove a Focus ST yesterday, and realized I can't drive stick to save my life. I stalled the car a couple dozen times, and annoyed the salesman in the process.

It was like, "okay, let the clutch out... dammit, you didn't go gently enough, it stalled again!"

I'll wait for the 2015 MK7 Volkswagen GTI, then, and get it with the dual-clutch automatic.

ascii42

My dad and I are looking at C5 Corvettes for funsies, and I'm thinking about getting one to replace my current car as a daily driver. I currently drive a '07 VW Jetta with 39k miles, and I'd probably be looking at C5s in the 15-16k range, and would trade in/sell the Jetta to help fund it. This is an obvious upgrade in car awesomeness, but I need someone to tell me why this is stupid, because:
-The insurance quote for a C5 is about the same as what I'm paying for the Jetta.
-Gas mileage is ~20 (as best as I can tell - realistically, it's probably lower) versus the 28 or so I get with the Jetta. This gap is widened by needing to buy premium fuel, but I'm willing to make up the difference.
-Googling for common issues with C5s show me things I can easily check for when purchasing the car, or fix myself.
-I can count the number of times I've used my backseat on one hand, and what traveling I do is pretty light. The maximum I'd need to haul might be a suitcase and backpack.

I'm willing to sit on the Jetta until a particularly good deal presents itself, and I'm sticking with the Vette because I have a soft spot for them and Dad's probably willing to help make up some of the price difference between the Jetta and the Vette.

The only thing I can possibly think of is really just wondering how long C6s will take to reach that price range once the C7 comes out, but that could be a while.

N-Bomb

It looks like an Evo X!

I was thinking it looks more like the GC.

Subjective negative - they're a little round and pudgy-looking. Also not as 'sharp' a car as the C6+

sgjackson

Subjective negative - they're a little round and pudgy-looking. Also not as 'sharp' a car as the C6+

This is one of those cases where I aesthetically prefer the one I grew up reading about in car magazines and throwing into corners in Gran Turismo than the newer one.

How are vettes as daily drivers? Like will the suspension make you hate yourself on less than new roads?

Florida's pretty nice in this regard, but this is something to think about. I have a suspicion that the regular coupe is probably more tolerable than the Z06 here. I'll see what it feels like if I test drive one.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
2015-Mazda3-Leaked-Image-Front-and-Rear-Three-Quarters-623x438.jpg

The new Mazda 3 leaked.

The rear reminds me a lot of the Lexus CT200h. Not quite sure how I feel about that. I like that it has a slightly more subdued look. I always thought the Mazda 3 was a bit gaudy.

Looking at it more, I think it's the fact that it looks shorter is what appeals to me most.

Gouty

Bloodborne is shit
The wife and I bought a new car, our second WRX. And yes, the interior is shameful. The seats are fine but even the visors are plastic. The overall look is fine, its just they used such cheap materials to construct it. The stereo is also a step back from our 2005, despite the added blue tooth and ipod functionality. But whatever, after market will fix that.

As for the good...well its a new WRX. We absolutely love the looks of the car and the way it drives, its extremely responsive. They've also done some work on the exhaust note, for a four cylinder car its a treat for the ears on start up.

Overall we're both really happy and enjoying the hell out of driving it.

4hTjyWw.jpg

N-Bomb

The wife and I bought a new car, our second WRX. And yes, the interior is shameful. The seats are fine but even the visors are plastic. The overall look is fine, its just they used such cheap materials to construct it. The stereo is also a step back from our 2005, despite the added blue tooth and ipod functionality. But whatever, after market will fix that.

As for the good...well its a new WRX. We absolutely love the looks of the car and the way it drives, its extremely responsive. They've also done some work on the exhaust note, for a four cylinder car its a treat for the ears on start up.

Overall we're both really happy and enjoying the hell out of driving it.

4hTjyWw.jpg

Congrats. Yep, Subaru's 4 is possibly the best-sounding 4-cyl in production.

Acid08

Banned
How has Volkswagen been, reliability wise, over the past few years? I'm going to turn my 92 Civic Si, my current daily driver, into a project car so I'll need a new daily driver. I want to stick with a small hatchback and the Golf is on my short list. Only problem is VW was notorious for reliability issues years back and I'm not sure if it improved. My mom has an early 00's Jetta that was fucking terrible. Everything that could go wrong with it did go wrong.

Also any other suggestions for small, fast, fun hatches are welcome! I will be buying used. Thanks everyone!

its gonna be weird if the speed 3 looks like that. Too elegant for that much dumb hp/torque.

I disagree. If they can manage to hide the turbo bump from the hood, it'll be the best sleeper car in existence.

Just imagine, getting smoked by a boring looking sedan that sounds raunchy. I can dig that.

Congrats man!

Don't let us random internet users dissuade you from your car, especially a WRX. They're fantastic cars after all.

Anyway, so Mazda's USA FB posted this today:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10151422038440741

The World's Fastest...

Five challengers.

1/4 mile.

One winner. June 6, 2013 - see it here first on Facebook!

From what I can see, a Lotus, Lambo, Corvette, and a Porsche. Quick jump over to Miata.net and they point out that the image at 6 seconds is the gas lid of a current gen Miata, if that's correct, then that's 5 cars.

If Mazda managed to avoid all the spy photogs, and tested the car in their basement at Mazda USA HQ, then it's probably a Mazdaspeed version of the current gen Miata, or a Mazdaspeed6.

Otherwise, this is probably just another marketing gimmick. Something along the lines of the Miata having the fastest "top up to top down" test.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom