• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Automotive Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

N-Bomb

google says yes... so it seems like 86 is faster than a corolla. A well deserved victory!

Wonder if they still make Corolla XRS's. Those had like 170hp.

It's still using the 1ZZ-FE?

The XRS used the same 2ZZ-GE as the Celica GTS and the... Elise? Maybe tuned slightly differently.

TylerD

I have been super impressed with the wet weather traction of my Conti Extremecontact DWS tires. Got hit with a deluge of a rain storm with quite a bit of water on the highway and was able to comfortably drive at the speed limit with minimal hydroplaning. May have been driving a little faster than absolutely safe but the road wasn't very crowded and the car + those tires are very confidence inspiring.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Uhm, you guys, holy shit:

MKO boss Michael Oberhauser explained that the 3.0 CS bodywork had to be modified to accommodate an E39 M5’s shortened floorpan and mechanicals.

Say what?

Oberhauser raised the hydraulic lift and showed me how the 1970s coupe body had been grafted onto the late 1990s M5 chassis to create the CS M5.

frankenclassic-1.jpg

frankenclassic-4.jpg

frankenclassic-5.jpg

http://www.bimmer-mag.com/issues/116/articles/frankenclassic#.UabOo2SgmmP

I have a headlight that is incredibly fogged up (looks like a cataract), does anyone have any advice on how to clean it without having to replace it with a new headlight?

Watevaman

I have a headlight that is incredibly fogged up (looks like a cataract), does anyone have any advice on how to clean it without having to replace it with a new headlight?

I've always used restoration kits you can pick up at Autozone. They work great for a fair amount of time depending on how much you park in the sun.

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid

I used to restore my headlight every couple of months, used UV protection products on it too. Spent $60 on all the products but I should've just gotten a new headlight like I did now.

The 3M kits are the best ones in my opinion. Might last a couple of months.

So this thing followed me home.

Not mine just yet, but I'll be having a full inspection done tomorrow morning and if everything checks out (minus a few things so I can negotiate the price down a bit) I'll pick it up. It's an '82 and it has a whale tail and whale tails are the best.

MisterNoisy

The $20 'headlight restoration' kits (Mother's makes a pretty nice one) work pretty well. It's easy if the hazing/damage is only on the outside of the assembly - you'll need to bake, fix and reglue if it's on both sides of the lens cover. If you want to prevent it from happening afterwards, the clear or light smoke vinyls from Headlight Armor work very well.

Not mine just yet, but I'll be having a full inspection done tomorrow morning and if everything checks out (minus a few things so I can negotiate the price down a bit) I'll pick it up. It's an '82 and it has a whale tail and whale tails are the best.

Gorgeous car - I envy you, sir. :)

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward

Oh my oh my oh my. Please get it so that I can live vicariously through you.

Rad Agast

How much are they asking for it? Congratulations in advance.

Wow, I'm totally jelly. There's a red 964 that parks at my work and I seriously stop and stare for a bit and enjoy the view haha. Too bad the owner seems douchey, the times I've seen him, dude often looks like he's in a bad mood.

Also, the Mazdaspeed3 is done. Went to the dealer today armed with a pre-approval from a BMW backed loan company, threw out the fireworks from the start, and 2 hours later, the monthly payment got reduced by more than $100 bucks than what the dealer originally wanted, and they still managed to get it financed through Mazda's financing service. So the waiting game definitely helped us out.

The coolest thing about it, imo, the MS3 literally has the same paint as my Miata. 27A, or velocity red mica. We put my 6-7 year old Miata next to my bro's 2013 MS3, and my paint still looks brand new haha.

Man, that's a nice car. I bet you looked like your avatar when you where driving that sweet thing home.

I love the 50's and 80's porches. 56' Porsche 356A in green with a tobacco interior or an 87 RUF Yellowbird. Either one of those beauties would be my dream Porsche.

sca2511

Sat in a ST last week, interior was better than I expected, has nice front seats. Just didn't like how the dash is sort of popping out and that there wasn't much rear leg room.

Also, looking at the BRZ more, I'm starting to like it, though I'd probably put red vinyl over the tails. I also really wish it was a lift back.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef

congrats! iconic car.

N-Bomb

The coolest thing about it, imo, the MS3 literally has the same paint as my Miata. 27A, or velocity red mica. We put my 6-7 year old Miata next to my bro's 2013 MS3, and my paint still looks brand new haha.

would you mind taking a pic of it outside in the sun? I'd like to see how that red looks, real world.

reilo

Nice!

It can also double up as a BBQ during the hot Texas months with that wing :)

would you mind taking a pic of it outside in the sun? I'd like to see how that red looks, real world.

Not sure if this is what you're looking for, but here's pics from last year of my Miata.

I have more pics, but imgur is down for some reason and I can't access my profile lol. But if you're talking about the MS3, I'll post some this weekend.

reilo

Speaking of Mazda's reds:

Mazda doesn't actually offer a huge array of colors for its midsizer (options are limited to versions of white, red, black, blue, gray and silver), and while the car's shape lends itself to making a stylish sedan regardless of hue, the deep red color looks classy, and allows the flowing Kodo-inspired design elements to shine. At least one rival automaker has privately expressed its bewilderment to us about this very paint – apparently it's so rich and complex that it's markedly more expensive than other shades. Even though Mazda is charging $300 extra for it, they still can't figure out how the company makes the numbers work.

618x239x05-2014-mazda6-lt-1369852914.jpg.pagespeed.ic.InmgksbkDj.jpg

negitoro7

Traded in a 2010 Civic Si a few days ago for a fully loaded GTI; my reasonably-priced attainable dream car! Love this car, it's by far the nicest one I've ever owned (or driven). Now rush-hour commutes can be less stressful with the DSG and heated leather seats :D

Bob Ross

Is the ford focus the way to go for new cars under 20k? the dealers are running great deals right now for like $3300 off so there are ones with leather interior and upgraded wheels and interior in 5 speed for $19,350 looking to start financing my first car and wondering if it is the way to go. looking for a hatchback with good mpg basically, and one that will be fun to drive.

reilo

Is the ford focus the way to go for new cars under 20k? the dealers are running great deals right now for like $3300 off so there are ones with leather interior and upgraded wheels and interior in 5 speed for $19,350 looking to start financing my first car and wondering if it is the way to go. looking for a hatchback with good mpg basically, and one that will be fun to drive.

Mazda3 with Skyactiv.

Bob Ross

Mazda3 with Skyactiv.

I was just looking at those, but I've driven them before and they're really stiff and for the same price I can get a focus with leather seats and the whole upgrade package for $1000 dues to the $3300 incentives at ford right now.

So I had that '82 911 SC inspected and it actually turned out pretty great. Agreed to a price with the owner--more than I wanted, less than he wanted so I'm satisfied--and I'll pick it up in a few days. Only pain is that my bank doesn't have any branches around here so I'm trying to think of a good way to make the deal secure so he can be confident in it. Anyone have experience with person to person deals without using straight cash?

reilo

I was just looking at those, but I've driven them before and they're really stiff and for the same price I can get a focus with leather seats and the whole upgrade package for $1000 dues to the $3300 incentives at ford right now.

You're nuts to go with the Focus, the interior is terrible. But $3300 is hard to pass up.

Bob Ross

I was going to go with another VW but resale is bad, and the mazda 3's feel a little cheep inside, but mechanically they're great, I feel like the ford is a solid middle ground especially with the upgrades I can get thrown in. I will go and test drive some cars tomorrow, maybe i I will swing by a mazda dealer.

reilo

I was going to go with another VW but resale is bad, and the mazda 3's feel a little cheep inside, but mechanically they're great, I feel like the ford is a solid middle ground especially with the upgrades I can get thrown in. I will go and test drive some cars tomorrow, maybe i I will swing by a mazda dealer.

Every Focus I have ever driven felt far worse inside. It wasn't even a contest. The new ones don't look any better. Mazda3 interior might even be best in class, but I haven't sat in all of the latest offerings recently.

Bob Ross

I will definitely check them both out, but if the interiors are the same as they were for 11 and 12 then they will feel rugged, but not comfy, seating wise, the rubbers and plastics are nice though.

reilo

I will definitely check them both out, but if the interiors are the same as they were for 11 and 12 then they will feel rugged, but not comfy, seating wise, the rubbers and plastics are nice though.

That's almost the point :p

reilo

But I deliver pizza so i need me some comfy seats!

If you want something softer, I guess look at the new Malibu? As a customer, I'd rather you have a car that drives better to deliver the pizza on time :p

Bob Ross

I am aiming for a hatch so I can take trips and such, I want a blend of practicality, fun, and reliability. The new golfs are boring and will lose value like crazy, subaru's are so boring now and the interior is terrible, and the Fit doesn't have enough punch to it. and pretty much anything will be faster than a jetta with 114 bph stock from 9 years ago.

reilo

I am aiming for a hatch so I can take trips and such, I want a blend of practicality, fun, and reliability. The new golfs are boring and will lose value like crazy, subaru's are so boring now and the interior is terrible, and the Fit doesn't have enough punch to it. and pretty much anything will be faster than a jetta with 114 bph stock from 9 years ago.

Do you have to buy a new car NOW? Because the new Mazda3 with the new design language will be out soon in the fall. That's a whole new platform so you might like it better.

Bob Ross

I don't have to get one now but I'd like to before the next $700+ repair bill will come. And i may wait for the 2014 models anyhow because then the 2013's will come down in price for everything. Are the Mazda's getting a face lift by chance?

reilo

I don't have to get one now but I'd like to before the next $700+ repair bill will come. And i may wait for the 2014 models anyhow because then the 2013's will come down in price for everything. Are the Mazda's getting a face lift by chance?

Yes, here's a mock-up, it will probably look similar:

2014-mazda-3-5-door-artists-rendering-photo-475722-s-1280x782.jpg

Spyshot:

2015-mazda-3-5-door-spy-photo-photo-501337-s-1280x782.jpg

Like I said, it's a new platform.

gah miatas are so adorable.

4th gen one better still be adorable, or what's the point!

Haha. That's the first time I've heard someone call the 3rd gen's adorable. That term usually applies to the NA lol.

But I agree. If the 4th gen fails to look at least this good, I'll probably keep my current Miata and turn it into track rat and get myself a the upcoming RX-7 or whatever future rotary Mazda is planning to sell on 2017.

We will see, I just don't know if I can get over how stiff they are, maybe that will be addressed with the new platform.

Fun fact, the Mazdaspeed3's suspension is much more comfortable than the standard Mazda3.

But if the Mazda6 is any indication, the next MZ3 should be pretty comfortable. Sat in one during my bro's test drive before getting the MS3, and while he loved how comfy the MZ6 was, that turbo boost got him weak on the knees, that's why he bought one lol.

N-Bomb

Everyone should just get a JDM Silvia and be done with it. No more questions about minivans or SUVs or Ford Focuses! Just get a Silvia!

*falls off cliff into bed*

Haha. That's the first time I've heard someone call the 3rd gen's adorable. That term usually applies to the NA lol.

But I agree. If the 4th gen fails to look at least this good, I'll probably keep my current Miata and turn it into track rat and get myself a the upcoming RX-7 or whatever future rotary Mazda is planning to sell on 2017.

Your car just looks like a silly grinning red blood cell :3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom