• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Automotive Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

N-Bomb

And btw, that wheel gap on the 435i M-Sport is fucking atrocious.

There's a solution to that which you may find satisfactory.
hellaflush%208%20venice%20beach%20front%205.21.11.jpg

Speaking of this anyone else here remember the 2002 Dodge Razor concept? Man I really wanted this car. Would have been a real screamer. $15k was the target price iirc. RWD and powered by the turbo SRT-4 engine.

Ah the MR2 Spyder... wait a second.

Took theC6Z for its first hard back road run.

Got 1.3g. Feels good man!

Need to lower the air pressure in the front. Also got the brake barnishing done by the end of the run so initial bite is very strong now.

TCRS

Banned
hmm yeah.. the 4 series is kind of disappointing. I was expecting something else, a fresher style. This doesn't look that appealing.

I FINALLY won a S15 at the Japanese car auctions...

Crappy auction pictures below...

sfront_zpsef7d6ee9.jpg

sback_zpscc9b1f6c.jpg

Better pictures are coming. The importer I had used sent me better pictures when they had inspected it prior to it going up for auction, but that's on another mac.

Full Spec R with Aero... A bit more Km's then I had originally wanted, but I'm researching some stroker kits. I'm planning my build, and a full engine rebuild is in the cards sooner then later.

Now it's on it's way to storage till it's road legal in Canada (Next February 2014). Ugh it's going to be a tough wait.

I FINALLY won a S15 at the Japanese car auctions...

Now it's on it's way to storage till it's road legal in Canada (Next February 2014). Ugh it's going to be a tough wait.

WOW. I'm totally jelly!! Congrats on the purchase man!

Also, why the wait? I thought Canada had relatively lax import laws compared to the US?

4 more years until FD RX-7's can be legally imported here in the US!
:(

Seen this posted on a M3 forum and I though you guys would hold their breath like I did.

WOW. I'm totally jelly!! Congrats on the purchase man!

Also, why the wait? I thought Canada had relatively lax import laws compared to the US?

4 more years until FD RX-7's can be legally imported here in the US!
:(

They had changed the import laws from 10 to 15 years. And the importation is based on the build date. So in my case, it's a March 99' build, so it's legal for road use next March 2014. Right now it's in storage in Japan. It's going to be put on the boat in December of this year.

Beautiful. Congrats, sir!

Thanks man! It's been a long 5 year wait, but I'm glad I went through with the purchase. My wife will be happy to get all these car parts out of the house that I've been collecting over the years.

N-Bomb

Thanks man! It's been a long 5 year wait, but I'm glad I went through with the purchase. My wife will be happy to get all these car parts out of the house that I've been collecting over the years.

Yeah man, I know how it is. I have a pile of stuff in the basement too, but I'm still waiting on new doors, rear bumper, front seats, and maybe new trunklid.

8xRPzEQl.jpg

jyoung188

My wife and I are going to sell her 2003 Pontiac Grand Prix and are thinking about test driving some used Mini Coopers, preferably an S non convertible. Any gaffers have minis? How do you like them? Reliability? Cost for repairs? I've read they can be pricy to fix since they're made by BMW. We can't wait to get rid if this piece of shit Pontiac, its been nothing but a headache, am I in for more with a mini?

Yeah it's wiring adapter I'm stuck on. I've got a 2005 Mini Cooper and which I know would need this wiring harness. It's the other end of that that I don't think will fit into the end of my headunit. So I'm not sure if I need this.

Any ideas?

Edit: Found it! Thanks anyway.

How do you like your mini seanbob?

The Rambo Lambo is still there at the gas station. The prices are always jacked up at that gas station... maybe the owner made enough to buy something special for himself?

Buttons

My wife and I are going to sell her 2003 Pontiac Grand Prix and are thinking about test driving some used Mini Coopers, preferably an S non convertible. Any gaffers have minis? How do you like them? Reliability? Cost for repairs? I've read they can be pricy to fix since they're made by BMW. We can't wait to get rid if this piece of shit Pontiac, its been nothing but a headache, am I in for more with a mini?

I drive a 2007 Mini and love it, no problems so far. One of the major issues with Minis is the tension chain, but that only applies to the Cooper S and John Cooper Works, normal Cooper is fine.

As for repairs I can't say. I live in Germany though and as such I am used to BMW repair prices etc.

But going from personal experience my Mini has been very reliable and it's so much fun to drive.

If you are interested in Minis, check out the NAM forums:
http://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/index.php

They should be able to answer all questions on the forum. :)

Might as well post a pic of my car I took last week. :)

miniafteruni327xdc.jpg

miniafteruni135a48.jpg

Just read through a few threads on NAM forums and remember that on motoring forums you usually hear more about faults since the people who have no problems with their cars usually don't post. And as with any car, test drive it. Go to a dealer and take one for a spin, you won't regret it. ;)

I was wondering about where you guys stand on Chris Bangle's BMW designs? I was re-watching the Top Gear episode where they essentially shit all over the 5 and 7 series and it made me curious.

I love his 3er and 5er, and I think the Z4 is cool--for a convertible--but absolutely hate the bangle butt 7.

Also, what happened to N-Bomb? :(

Also also, here's a random picture from my phone:

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
My neighbor in Florida has the new Mazda6. In a dark grey.

Fuck it looks AWESOME! I want a Speed6 version now.

Buttons

I was wondering about where you guys stand on Chris Bangle's BMW designs? I was re-watching the Top Gear episode where they essentially shit all over the 5 and 7 series and it made me curious.

I love his 3er and 5er, and I think the Z4 is cool--for a convertible--but absolutely hate the bangle butt 7.

Also, what happened to N-Bomb? :(

Also also, here's a random picture from my phone:

I actually like most of his designs but then again I am a BMW fan anyway. The 7-series "butt" is unfortunate, but the same design idea looks better on the 6-series. The 5-series and Z4 actually look pretty nice. :)

My neighbor in Florida has the new Mazda6. In a dark grey.

Fuck it looks AWESOME! I want a Speed6 version now.

Yeah, a friend of mine got one a couple of months ago. It's an outstanding looking car and deserves to dominate the class for the next few years (so long as the powertrain is as good as the exterior).

Here's a stylish pic of his car! One of their blues with a sand interior, just gorgeous.

The funny thing is that he's never been a car guy in any way, but now he's all about this thing. Mazda is good about creating enthusiasm, I guess.

I don't think I could ever buy a FWD car.

I think im gonna go test drive a 2014 Mustang and see if the last retro version is worth adding to the collection before ford goes and fucks it all up.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
I've been having a hard-on for white cars recently. Not sure why. When they're clean, they look so good.

Both the Audi Quattro and Jaguar CX-16 concepts were shown off in white, so maybe that's why.

I drive a 2007 Mini and love it, no problems so far. One of the major issues with Minis is the tension chain, but that only applies to the Cooper S and John Cooper Works, normal Cooper is fine.

As for repairs I can't say. I live in Germany though and as such I am used to BMW repair prices etc.

But going from personal experience my Mini has been very reliable and it's so much fun to drive.

If you are interested in Minis, check out the NAM forums:
http://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/index.php

They should be able to answer all questions on the forum. :)

Might as well post a pic of my car I took last week. :)

miniafteruni327xdc.jpg

miniafteruni135a48.jpg

Just read through a few threads on NAM forums and remember that on motoring forums you usually hear more about faults since the people who have no problems with their cars usually don't post. And as with any car, test drive it. Go to a dealer and take one for a spin, you won't regret it. ;)

My sister has one and the only problem she has had were the door seals. Car is only 4 years old and they lost their sealing capability, car would collect water in the footwells on a rainy day.

Also stay well away from model years before early 2005. 5-speed manuals, think the 1.4L (maybe lower spec engines also) because they use a real old gearbox design. They essentially made a 4-speed in to a 5-speed and it was not durable at all. It was like a Rover/Citroen/Peugeot bastardisation. The 6-speed Getrag box is MUCH better.

Anyway, more importantly... :p

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ruFXKEIPTvA

ruxtpin

Banned
Looking at something new for a daily driver after I move in a month or so. Something with good gas mileage, but still fun to drive. Current DD is a 2006 Corolla. Thinking my max price would be 20k. Something with 4 doors would be preferable as well. Thought about the Civic Si sedan, or perhaps one of the Mazda's.

I'm actually curious to see how the new Corolla's drive, but does anyone else have any recommendations?

Edit: I'm also looking for something that has quieter/smoother ride than the Corolla I have now.

Looking at something new for a daily driver after I move in a month or so. Something with good gas mileage, but still fun to drive. Current DD is a 2006 Corolla. Thinking my max price would be 20k. Something with 4 doors would be preferable as well. Thought about the Civic Si sedan, or perhaps one of the Mazda's.

I'm actually curious to see how the new Corolla's drive, but does anyone else have any recommendations?

Edit: I'm also looking for something that has quieter/smoother ride than the Corolla I have now.

Are you talking new or used 1-2 years? Not going to get a whole lot of fun but also quiet rides for 20k. Maybe a Chevy Cruze? Well... that really wouldn't be fun, but you can get a pretty nice interior with it.

ruxtpin

Banned
Are you talking new or used 1-2 years? Not going to get a whole lot of fun but also quiet rides for 20k. Maybe a Chevy Cruze? Well... that really wouldn't be fun, but you can get a pretty nice interior with it.

Preferably new, but I'd be willing to look at used. I understand I'm not going to be getting luxury quiet, but I feel like my current Corolla is pretty loud at speed on the highway.

AlphaSnake

I've been having a hard-on for white cars recently. Not sure why. When they're clean, they look so good.

Both the Audi Quattro and Jaguar CX-16 concepts were shown off in white, so maybe that's why.

White shows every curve and crease a car has.

It's similar to a girl wearing a tight white dress...you can see dem curves better than any color.

datass.gif

AlphaSnake

Audi to decrease in quality even further, confirmed.

Somehow, I doubt it. Their reliability has been shit on a lot of their current cars too. My dad's 2012 Audi A6 3.0T decided it'd be cool if the radiator/coolant pump would stop working and let the car overheat.

Turns out this is an issue on every 3.0T and 2.0T motor...down to VW GTIs.

Somehow, I doubt it. Their reliability has been shit on a lot of their current cars too. My dad's 2012 Audi A6 3.0T decided it'd be cool if the radiator/coolant pump would stop working and let the car overheat.

Yup. Try putting a timing belt on one of those 3.0T motors.
No timing marks.

Forsete

Birdshit, birdshit everywhere!

Hey I heard a funny car joke.

What is the difference between a BMW and a snail?
The BMW has the slime on the inside
:D

Dont hurt me, my bro has a BMW. :p

kharma45

Thankfully our 2.0 TDI A6 has been bullet proof so far, had it around a year now. Although in saying that something is bound to go wrong now. Still, had the previous generation 2.0 TDI before it and it was fine too. There was a rattle at one stage and the battery didn't like the cold but bar that it was a solid car.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Speaking of Audi, the new A3 is giving me a sad. The only hatchback variant the US is getting is the e-train plug in hybrid version, and the gas only versions are sedans only.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Apparently I'm herrafrush and didn't even realize it:

Passenger side:

yBe98FH.jpg

Driver side:

SFla3Zw.jpg

Started hearing my rears rubbing something fierce during even moderate 1st to 2nd gear drives. That's the reason why :|

Getting it fixed first thing Monday.

Speaking of Audi, the new A3 is giving me a sad. The only hatchback variant the US is getting is the e-train plug in hybrid version, and the gas only versions are sedans only.

It's confusing. Didn't Merc also scrap their plans of bringing over the A-Class?

Do they think having a hatchback in the lineup is going to plebeianize their brands?

~~~

Unrelated:

Chris Harris plays around with convertible 911, V8 Vantage and F-Type:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ruFXKEIPTvA&feature=player_embedded

ruxtpin

Banned
So instead of taking the cheaper route... I went out and test drove an Audi A4 (FF variant) and a BMW 328i...

Now I don't know what to do - I felt like the Audi was a bit cleaner looking inside, but I love the styling of the BMW. I felt both were pretty close when it came to cabin noise and ride smoothness.

TylerD

DIY'd my fuel filter 3 months ago and it just now started leaking. Just realized that I used wrong spec of fuel line. Needed to use high pressure fuel injection line.

Derp.

I have a Golf 6 with a DSG (double clutch automatic) gearbox. Lately i noticed that (window open, radio off) it makes some weird rattling noises when driving over uneven road parts or cobblestone pavement. It has now around 25.000 km and it did not do that before.
I went to the VW dealership and told them about it and i got an official response from VW saying:
Rattling noises, when driving over uneven roads, are normal and current state of the technology

Does that mean that every non rattling DSG is fauly? ;P

Seriously, as an engineer i am damn sure that this shouldnt be normal. I work as a design engineer for a truck manufacturing company and that answer by VW was the cause of lots of laughs in our design department. and as it turns out, a collegue of mine had the same problem (plus he needed a new clutch set after 20.000 km) which apparently VW does not want to fix or cannot fix. He sold the car shortly after.

By googling a little bit i found out that i am not the only person having these kind of problems. it seems that VW even recalled around half a million DSG's in China, Japan and Australia. But so far they claim to have no problems with them in Germany.

So long story short, if anyone plans on buying a VW, Audi, Seat or Skoda with a DSG gearbox be aware that you can end up having these kind of problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom