• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Automotive Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
blows my mind that you actually need to pay them just to look at your car. i suppose you are living in the US? the only thing you can do is spread the word that that dealer sucks.

Yeah... It's really shop-to-shop and dealer-to-dealer. I've been to shops before that waive the diagnosis fee if you choose to do the repairs with them.

I already told them what the issue is, I have video evidence of it. Even then, all it will take is to put the car on a lift, rotate the driver's side rear wheel, and they'll see that the CV axle is fucked in six different directions. It would never ever take them more than 10 minutes to diagnosis it. That's what $125 gets you.

The reason it cost me $40 at the private shop? Their policy is a 30-minute minimum charge, which is reasonable. It took about 15-20 minutes with driving and identifying where the noise was coming from initially, so $40 felt super reasonable.

$125? Fuck you. I told you what's wrong.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Did they charge you for taking a shit in their bathroom?

If not, I would have.

Except, I'd have aimed for the sink.

reilo

To summarize in a "good news, bad news, shitty news, fuck yo couch news":

Good news: Rear axle will get replaced under warranty - $767.

Bad news: Parts aren't in until Monday, which means I can't/shouldn't drive the car until then, which means I don't have a drivable car for a whole week. Why don't I have a car available? Well...

Shitty news: I had to pay for today's rental because the car wasn't "under repair", and it wasn't under repair because the parts aren't here yet and they won't cover a rental until parts are in hand at the dealer. So I am without a car for a whole fucking week unless I want to pay out of pocket for a rental. Which is, of course, $25-30/day for a shitbox. Do the math.

Fuck yo couch news: Front axle splines at the hub need to be replaced, cleaned, and lubricated. They are a $17 part. The cost of labor? $375. Since it's technically "maintenance" (eventhough they are replacing a failed part), the warranty will not cover it. They would had the whole axle blown? WTF. I had to pay $110 for the diagnosis alone.

Yikes.

Obviously YMMV on dealerships especially with service... but it's a little surprising to see shit like this still going on when it's a guaranteed payday for the dealership. A lot of my friends who work in the service dept of a dealership say that shit like this doesn't happen anymore, especially when the car already has an extended warranty to go on with. It's a guaranteed payday, and the only negative that usually happens is if the work was shoddy as hell and the repercussions for shit repairs is pretty huge as the dealership can face penalties from the car companies and the insurer.

I think you mentioned that this was in your Speed6 or was that your friends? Either way, if it is a Speed6 and this is a Mazda dealership, call corporate. There's no guarantee that they're gonna be able to get shit done, but they do have eyes and ears everywhere. Something as ridiculous as this could potentially raise a red flag in corporate and who knows what could happen. I've mostly heard good news in regards to Mazda's customer service so give it a shot.

reilo

Yikes.

Obviously YMMV on dealerships especially with service... but it's a little surprising to see shit like this still going on when it's a guaranteed payday for the dealership. A lot of my friends who work in the service dept of a dealership say that shit like this doesn't happen anymore, especially when the car already has an extended warranty to go on with. It's a guaranteed payday, and the only negative that usually happens is if the work was shoddy as hell and the repercussions for shit repairs is pretty huge as the dealership can face penalties from the car companies and the insurer.

I think you mentioned that this was in your Speed6 or was that your friends? Either way, if it is a Speed6 and this is a Mazda dealership, call corporate. There's no guarantee that they're gonna be able to get shit done, but they do have eyes and ears everywhere. Something as ridiculous as this could potentially raise a red flag in corporate and who knows what could happen. I've mostly heard good news in regards to Mazda's customer service so give it a shot.

It's my Speed6, but my friend had his rear CV joint break twice, too. That part is being covered ($767), thankfully.

What is not, however, is the front axle splines at the hub. Eventhough those are failing parts, they are technically considered doing "maintenance" -- which makes no fucking sense. Like I mentioned above, if the front axles had broken like the rear ones, then the warranty would cover it.

If a part breaks under the drivetrain (that's still considered the drivetrain, RIGHT?), and I have an extended warranty that covers shit that breaks in the drivetrain, then that should be covered. Period.

I'll call NA Mazda tomorrow and see what they say. I talked to my local mechanic, and they were confused as to why the dealer wasn't just replacing the whole damn axle.

What really pisses me off is that they didn't have a fleet loaner to give me while my car was being inspected and that my only other options were to a) wait 4-5 hours and come back or b) get a rental from Enterprise and pay out of pocket. They refused to pay for the rental, eventhough it ended up being an issue fixable under warranty.

reilo

Shot an email over to Mazda corporate. Hopefully they give me a call soon.

Does anyone else feel that BMWs are getting uglier with a way overloaded design? Look at the new X5:

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/06/24/2014-bmw-x5-price-increase-53725/

The new 4 series doesn't look that great either, the 1 series was already sort of weird. The 6 series is plain ugly. The 5 series and 7 series are still beautiful but who knows what the new models will look like...

I don't think any car in the current line-up is offensively ugly, but I also never really thought their SUVs looked all that great either.

It's clear that their new design language is emulating the i8 with that connected grille though:

2014-bmw-i8-coupe.jpg

BMW-3-Series_Touring_2013_800x600_wallpaper_01.jpg

2014-bmw-x5-10.jpg

I expect that grille design to be applied to every new generation model going forward.

TylerD

My car is no longer pissing fuel everywhere. Got the right high pressure fuel injection line and a pair of cheap but effective hose cutters from Harbor Freight and took care of it this morning. Those hoses that were on there were not long for this world. 2 times to mess with the fuel filter and 2 times not getting any fuel on me. That is winning in my book.

I went for a nice long drive and came back home then ordered a Porter Cable 7424XP dual action buffer, Megs M105, M205 and a variety of Chemical Guys hex-logic pads.

My next cosmetic projects are repairing some light rash on my passenger side wheels and maybe blacking out my lower bumper grill. Not sure about it yet. I think the faded grey actually looks pretty good against the Mystic Blue. It certainly stands out more than if it was black.

Opinions?

edit: Reading all the above about your dealer experience Reilo just reinforces my opinion that the only way I will be taking my car to a dealer is to get an oil change done and have them do the full inspection to let me know what they see as maintenance items / potential problems. Doing that once a year and then taking care of shit on my own or at an indie shop is going to save me a ton. So far, I have spent $45 outside of my DIYing at a shop and had it 10 months now.

Having an extended warranty and having to go through that shit is ridiculous.

N-Bomb

Also, what happened to N-Bomb? :(

A mod with a fragile ego and a Napoleon complex banned me for an innocuous post in gaming. It would be nice if there were rules posted somewhere.

Basically the equivalent of cop stopping you, breaking your tail light, citing you for it.

I'd totally be down for that comeback:

It doesn't look horrid, but it really reminds me too much of a mix between the Z4 and the Fisker Karma. Maybe a bit of FF.

the new rx is just like half-life 3 rumors. I'll believe it when I see it,

I have been believing it for almost a decade! :\

XXXXtreme tuning, stage 2:
54bf5d3c6904c004ba9ffd0afcf74fc3.jpg

Damn you. I will not have any fun pics to post until later this year. :(

However! These are coming in the mail within a week or two to add to the partsbox:

boost_solenoid_600_2sq.jpg

gallery_138.png

:D

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
I think I've been bitten hard by the German car bug. Now I want a BMW 2-series coupe.

001-bmw-2-series-spy-shots628opt.png

Unlike the Mercedes CLA, this one is offered in RWD with a stick shift. Should be available to order in the fall, with deliveries starting in spring 2014.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Yeah, I posted the 2-series leak a few weeks ago, it's easily the best looking car in BMW's lineup.

It's probably made to be an actual BMW, as well.

TylerD

mazda will present the new mazda 3 today.

some pictures already leaked. looks good!

http://www.autonews.ru/automarket_news/news/1760746/

You go Mazda! That Kodo design language is producing great looking products.

----

Check out Petrolicious on YouTube if you haven't: Great cars with interesting stories. June is Bavarian month and has been very good.

BMW E30 M3, No Substitutes: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jja-Y5023tk

This week, the story of Jack and his BMW Isetta 300. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70ufaopHIVI

huh, parked next to a brz. I knew they were small, but didn't realize they would be shorter in length than my prizm lol.

They sure look nice. Think it was the same blue as OnkelC's 86.

Smokey

So a fully loaded 4 series now cost close to $70,000. Da fuq. Is BMW trying to move the 4 series up in class or something. The M4 is going to easily be in the 85+ range judging by this. Trash. Oh well.

Got new rear pilot super sports yesterday. Burned through the first pair pretty quickly lol. Fronts are still good as new though. Dat feeling of new tires and an alignment is great.

TCRS

Banned
The interior of the Mazda3 looks better than the Mazda6 interior. The 6 interior looks kind of cheap for its class.

Man...It really sucks being so tall. I am 6.5 and have problems fitting in most cars that I would love to own. I have been driving VW GTIs for a while since they are great for tall people but I was considering moving to a BRZ after reading it was great for tall people.

Well my roomate bought one last week and I was excited to sit in it and give it a run. Nope...not gonna happen. I can't even get my legs in without them being planted against the dash. Yet another car I pined over thrown out the window.

Any other giant car lovers here? What do you find comfortable to drive?

LLShC.gif

N-Bomb

Man...It really sucks being so tall. I am 6.5 and have problems fitting in most cars that I would love to own. I have been driving VW GTIs for a while since they are great for tall people but I was considering moving to a BRZ after reading it was great for tall people.

Well my roomate bought one last week and I was excited to sit in it and give it a run. Nope...not gonna happen. I can't even get my legs in without them being planted against the dash. Yet another car I pined over thrown out the window.

LLShC.gif

Get aftermarket seat rails so that they can go back farther! I'm thinking of going that way myself.

Get aftermarket seat rails so that they can go back farther! I'm thinking of going that way myself.

Guess that is a option. Although my roommate isn't tall and his set is almost all the way against the "back seats". Still have no idea why they included them in that car.

lol I find the focus to be a bit more manly :)

Whats a titanium? Is that just a trim?

Yeah, it completely changes the interior. Leather, touchscreen (with rearview camera), navigation, 10 speaker audio system with a subwoofer, sunroof, dual zone climate control, automatic parallel parking, ambient lighting, etc. I spoiled myself this time since I just got a new job :)

It is a lease, and I was able to get them way down on the price, or I would have never got it.

AZsyO0V.jpg

reilo

Congrats on the purchases!

Not to be deemed negative (lol), but the interior of that Focus is ghastly.

Yeah, it completely changes the interior. Leather, touchscreen (with rearview camera), navigation, 10 speaker audio system with a subwoofer, sunroof, dual zone climate control, automatic parallel parking, ambient lighting, etc. I spoiled myself this time since I just got a new job :)

It is a lease, and I was able to get them way down on the price, or I would have never got it.

AZsyO0V.jpg

weird, quite rare to see loaded out cars with manual option, usually only poor trim. This america?

weird, quite rare to see loaded out cars with manual option, usually only poor trim. This america?

Well, actually, that isn't my exact car, I pulled a picture off the internet. I didn't even notice the manual!

I have an automatic. Funnily enough, they just brought back the manual option because so many people complained about it!

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef

LLShC.gif
I'm 1,88 meters and fat, GT 86 fits fine.

Congrats on the purchases!

Not to be deemed negative (lol), but the interior of that Focus is ghastly.

Hey now! It may not be classy, but I love the techie feel, and it looks super sharp with the ambient lighting at night.

That Fiat 500 looks amazing, more photos please! :D

I will have to take a couple more tonight. I can't believe I don't have one of the rear. He loves it, and I absolutely love it too. It has a super comfortable ride, which is incredible for the size of the car.

Buttons

Hey now! It may not be classy, but I love the techie feel, and it looks super sharp with the ambient lighting at night.

I will have to take a couple more tonight. I can't believe I don't have one of the rear. He loves it, and I absolutely love it too. It has a super comfortable ride, which is incredible for the size of the car.

I test drove a few of those but went for a Mini instead but I love those cars. :D And the size is quite normal for us in Europe but I can imagine that people in the US think it's tiny haha.

I test drove a few of those but went for a Mini instead but I love those cars. :D And the size is quite normal for us in Europe but I can imagine that people in the US think it's tiny haha.

Ah, that makes sense! Everyone we keep talking to says, "Wow, what a tiny car!" Someone even called it a clown car, haha! He keeps hearing mostly good things though. He has wanted one for years, so I am so happy that he was able to finally get one.

One final Focus photo (still not of mine, but it looks identical) and I won't clutter the page up anymore haha! I think the interior looks better with this lighting and angle.

yg1NtRz.jpg

TCRS

Banned
Well it does have weird angles, but it's not as bad the Mk1 interior. The second model had a normal interior. I still like the Focus though, I love how it drives. I love driving Fords.

Ah, that makes sense! Everyone we keep talking to says, "Wow, what a tiny car!" Someone even called it a clown car, haha! He keeps hearing mostly good things though. He has wanted one for years, so I am so happy that he was able to finally get one.

One final Focus photo (still not of mine, but it looks identical) and I won't clutter the page up anymore haha! I think the interior looks better with this lighting and angle.

yg1NtRz.jpg

Those Titanium interiors are pretty impressive for sub-luxury (is that a word?) cars. When I was test driving crossover SUV's I checked out a 2013 Escape Titanium. Quite a cockpit. My wife and I went from that to the Honda CR-V, and she was pulling for the Escape because "there's so much more stuff in the dash!"

The leather in the Titanium was much nicer than I expected too, and a hell of a lot nicer than the bunched leather in the Honda EX-L.

I did end up going with the Honda, but all that flash almost hooked me. That top trim is not cheap though. I was looking at like $33k for the Escape vs. $27k for the CR-V EX-L. It also came with that 2.0L "EcoBoost" (turbo) 4 cyl.

ruxtpin

Banned
Just got this yesterday. So damn excited. My son calls it the zoom zoom.

You bastard ;)

Is that a 13? I don't keep up with car specs too much, but I've heard the price on the GT-R has gone up a bit since it was introduced in the states. What is Nissan doing to the car to justify the price increase?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom