• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Automotive Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forsete

I have a Golf 6 with a DSG (double clutch automatic) gearbox. Lately i noticed that (window open, radio off) it makes some weird rattling noises when driving over uneven road parts or cobblestone pavement. It has now around 25.000 km and it did not do that before.
I went to the VW dealership and told them about it and i got an official response from VW saying:

Does that mean that every non rattling DSG is fauly? ;P

Seriously, as an engineer i am damn sure that this shouldnt be normal. I work as a design engineer for a truck manufacturing company and that answer by VW was the cause of lots of laughs in our design department. and as it turns out, a collegue of mine had the same problem (plus he needed a new clutch set after 20.000 km) which apparently VW does not want to fix or cannot fix. He sold the car shortly after.

By googling a little bit i found out that i am not the only person having these kind of problems. it seems that VW even recalled around half a million DSG's in China, Japan and Australia. But so far they claim to have no problems with them in Germany.

So long story short, if anyone plans on buying a VW, Audi, Seat or Skoda with a DSG gearbox be aware that you can end up having these kind of problems.

Is it the 6 or 7 speed?

I have a MY13 with the 7 speed and I can hear it in the lower gears (when it is shifting).

The rattle noise is a "feature" of all 7 speed gearboxes, all of them seem to have it (some say theirs dont make sounds, but I think its just a matter of knowing what to listen for).

The China recalls was not due to these rattles but because of the clutch packs having become worn out (or contaminated), and some software issue. Chinese DSGs are made in China and not 100% the same as the rest of the world.
VW changed some things in the european gearboxes in 2011, but did not remove the rattle feature. :p

Is it the 6 or 7 speed?

I have a MY13 with the 7 speed and I can hear it in the lower gears (when it is shifting).

The rattle noise is a "feature" of all 7 speed gearboxes, all of them seem to have it (some say theirs dont make sounds, but I think its just a matter of knowing what to listen for).

The China recalls was not due to these rattles but because of the clutch packs having become worn out (or contaminated), and some software issue. Chinese DSGs are made in China and not 100% the same as the rest of the world.
VW changed some things in the european gearboxes in 2011, but did not remove the rattle feature. :p

I have a 7 speed. Yes apparently in China etc they have a problem with the mechatronics box. and they claim its due to the hot weather, stop and go (one of the reasons you want one is to relax while in traffic, no clue why how they could miss that ;P) and bad air. but as far as i know the air in japan and australia is not as bad as china. to me it seems that they just come up with bullshit reasons.
oh and last week, in an article i read, some guy from VW claimed that the chinese version would be exactly the same as the european one. so who knows, maybe thats not true either.

i am just really pissed that they sell such a crappy gearbox to customers and you can be damn sure that i will never in my life buy a car again made by VW. its unbelievable that you pay 26.000€ and get a rattling gearbox.

Forsete

I have a 7 speed. Yes apparently in China etc they have a problem with the mechatronics box. and they claim its due to the hot weather, stop and go (one of the reasons you want one is to relax while in traffic, no clue why how they could miss that ;P) and bad air. but as far as i know the air in japan and australia is not as bad as china. to me it seems that they just come up with bullshit reasons.
oh and last week, in an article i read, some guy from VW claimed that the chinese version would be exactly the same as the european one. so who knows, maybe thats not true either.

i am just really pissed that they sell such a crappy gearbox to customers and you can be damn sure that i will never in my life buy a car again made by VW. its unbelievable that you pay 26.000€ and get a rattling gearbox.

Stop and go + people not knowing how to drive with these gearboxes (no creeping) has probably killed a few. I dont see how bad air has anything to do with it? Translation error? :)
From the evidence the people have seen contamination has been an issue with the clutches. Also they (LUK) changed the design of the packs themselves in 2011.
Mechatronic seems to be a more rare problem, but there was a plauge of issues way back in 2008 on the DSG6.

If you look at the recall data from China some EU imports were recalled as well, but only up to MY11 (when the changes were made in Europe). Chinese made cars were recelled all the way up to MY13 so for sure there is some sort of difference.

Apart from this issue I love the gearbox. Smooth and fast shifting, but sometimes I miss using the gearstick myself. But I would not be as successful at red light racing without my DSG. :p

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
It's confusing. Didn't Merc also scrap their plans of bringing over the A-Classs?

Do they think having a hatchback in the lineup is going to plebeianize their brands?

~~~

Unrelated:

Chris Harris plays around with convertible 911, V8 Vantage and F-Type:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ruFXKEIPTvA&feature=player_embedded

Oh shit, I realized I typoed in there, it's supposed to be the Audi e-tron.

As for Mercedes Benz, we're getting the CLA-Class sedan and an electric-powered B-Class hatch.

http://www.mbusa.com/mercedes/benz/innovation/future/model-B_Class_Electric_Drive
http://www.mbusa.com/mercedes/benz/innovation/future/model-2014_CLA

Stop and go + people not knowing how to drive with these gearboxes (no creeping) has probably killed a few. I dont see how bad air has anything to do with it? Translation error? :)
From the evidence the people have seen contamination has been an issue with the clutches. Also they (LUK) changed the design of the packs themselves in 2011.
Mechatronic seems to be a more rare problem, but there was a plauge of issues way back in 2008 on the DSG6.

If you look at the recall data from China some EU imports were recalled as well, but only up to MY11 (when the changes were made in Europe). Chinese made cars were recelled all the way up to MY13 so for sure there is some sort of difference.

Apart from this issue I love the gearbox. Smooth and fast shifting, but sometimes I miss using the gearstick myself. But I would not be as successful at red light racing without my DSG. :p

the difference in MY they recalled is very interesting. so there is a difference after all.

here is the article i read, its in german though.
Ursache ist wie in China und Japan eine Kombination aus feuchtwarmem Klima, schlechtem Stadtklima (Smog) und anhaltendem Stop-and-Go-Verkehr. Sie schädigt ein umgangssprachlich „Mechatronik“ genanntes Bauteil. Im Gegensatz zum DQ250 (6-Gang-DSG) und DQ500 (7-Gang-DSG bis zu 600 Newtonmeter) arbeitet das DQ200 mit Trockenkupplungen, die nicht durch ein Ölbad gekühlt werden.
...humidity, smog and stop and go...they say that would affect the mechatronic and that they replaced it during the recall. i read somewhere that escpecially sulfur in the air would affect it, but i cant find that article anymore.

but if you thinik about it. the mechatronic module is in a box attached to the side of the gearbox. how would smog affect that?

yeah the double clutch is a very nice thing if it works. for me what counts though is the longevity. even though they told me that the rattling isnt affecting it, i honestly cant believe that.

Some of my Volks TE37SL's arrived...

IMG_0263_zps3425183a.jpg

This pair is for the rear....

I have another 4 coming from Japan on the slow boat...

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
XXXXtreme tuning, stage 2:
bd6c471e9326250ea409be98b443761d.jpg

8eacf3f20adb61833cfc7df811809ce7.jpg

8b2cb966c1c8470cc8b5beec4aecfbd8.jpg

+3WHP guaranteed!

fa33aa8e14afd359a0016011b150f146.jpg

ca94b65ea6b7cffed0fa47b14da6a2e5.jpg

Contemplative Wash'n'Waxing session led to this:
(Machine wash, Ultimate Quik Detailer by Megs, followed by a quick round of Megs Ultimate Quik Wax):
54bf5d3c6904c004ba9ffd0afcf74fc3.jpg

41477dc40c76ca68fbbb2e3e2e5e7e42.jpg

5b397676b32432805eaad8d54300d1b2.jpg

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Mercedes-Benz CLA-Class.

2014-CLA-Class-FutureModels-Gallery-Exterior-05-full.jpg

It starts at $30K, so it shouldn't really top $40K for a loaded model with AWD and all the goodies.

There's going to be an AMG version, too, with more horsepower and a 0-60 time of 4.5 seconds.

2014-CLA-CLASS-CLA45-AMG-FUTUREMODELS-HEADER.jpg

I kinda want one.

I can definitely see people saying it looks too busy, but I like the styling.

The only thing I'm not a fan of is the touch(?)-screen inside:

It looks so tacked on. BMW, Audi and Mercedes are guilty of it now though. Don't know why they think breaking the inside lines like that is a good idea. I guess they're trying to keep them higher up without raising the rest of the dash.

kharma45

I can definitely see people saying it looks too busy, but I like the styling.

The only thing I'm not a fan of is the touch(?)-screen inside:

It looks so tacked on. BMW, Audi and Mercedes are guilty of it now though. Don't know why they think breaking the inside lines like that is a good idea. I guess they're trying to keep them higher up without raising the rest of the rest of the dash.

It's not a touchscreen, it's controlled with the Command wheel below the gear stick, and it's apparently not very good http://youtu.be/mkpqkopooTA?t=2m42s

Buttons

the rear seats are supposed to be useless for adults.

I haven't sat inside the CLA yet, but I've sat inside an A-class and test driven one. Nice car but the interiour feels cramped, almost feels like a whole car size smaller than its actual niche.
The 1-series BMW and especially the Audi A3 just feel more spacious. I am 6"2 and could sit comfortably in the back of both the Audi and BMW but the A-class felt almost like sitting in the back of my Mini haha.

I was not very impressed with the materials (considering its a Mercedes) used for the interiour either, the BMW was better and the Audi was miles ahead. The A3 does however have one of the nicest interiours I have ever had the pleasure of seeing and feeling.

I do however like the design cues of the A-class and CLA, interesting to see such a sporty direction from Mercedes.

I checked out the CLA a few weeks ago. the model they had there was priced at 45.000€.
Personally i think that the car looks really nice but its way overpriced for a bigger a-class version.
The backseats are useless for adults but they work for kids.
The trunk is bigger than you might think.
Some parts of the interior felt really cheap (hard plastic) when keeping in mind that it was worth 45k.
Oh and the hood only has a rod to keep it open. I mean common guys, you ask so much money and dont even include a gas spring?
The engine bay was also not sealed all the way around.

nayrac

So long story short, if anyone plans on buying a VW, Audi, Seat or Skoda with a DSG gearbox be aware that you can end up having these kind of problems.

My A3 is so bad I'm doing lemon law. Aside from making scary noises it just seems confused all the time. "You're slowing? That's cool..here let me put you in 2rd gear w/o rev matching so you get some vicious engine braking. Wait? You changed your mind and want to accelerate? I forget what gear I was in. How about I don't do anything for a second or so then decide to drop the clutch and melt the front tires?" Weirdly, if Audi "resets the values" the trans behaves for a few days. /shrug

Some of my Volks TE37SL's arrived...

IMG_0263_zps3425183a.jpg

This pair is for the rear....

I have another 4 coming from Japan on the slow boat...

First it was the Silvia, and now this?? Good lord, you sir are living the dream. I'd personally switch the Silvia with an FD RX-7, but those TE37's are my dream set of wheels. Consider me really jealous right now.

I'm also surprised at the import laws there. Has someone ever imported a car from Japan to Canada, fixing it up there to pass US emissions and importing it here to the US to avoid the 25 year import law that we have? Or does Canadia still fall under the same law?

I'd love to do something like this if possible. I need me an RX-7 Spirit R stat!

Also, Mazda's announcing the new Mazda 3 on the 26th.

http://mazdausa.com/MusaWeb/displayPage.action?pageParameter=m3preRelease

ameratsu

I'm also surprised at the import laws there. Has someone ever imported a car from Japan to Canada, fixing it up there to pass US emissions and importing it here to the US to avoid the 25 year import law that we have? Or does Canadia still fall under the same law?

You can import any car into Canada that's 15 years old by month of manufacture. As you mentioned, in the US it needs to be 25 years old. I'm not sure what you're trying to get at. If you're implying emissions is the sticking point for legality, that's not true.

You can import any car into Canada that's 15 years old by month of manufacture. As you mentioned, in the US it needs to be 25 years old. I'm not sure what you're trying to get at. If you're implying emissions is the sticking point for legality, that's not true.

Not at all, IIRC, emissions along with crash test ratings are the biggest factors that the US govt looks at in order to determine whether it can get registered or whatever in the country.

What I'm trying to get at is, do the US import laws also apply to Canada?

My scenario as an example, in hopefully plain English: My cousin in Canada buys an 1993 RX-7 either from Japan or in Canada, fixes it up to pass the US import laws whatever they are, then I buy it off him and import it here, to Texas.

Will a scenario like that work?

With that said, I honestly have no plans of importing one really soon. Maybe in a couple of years if a new RX never appears lol. But I'm just wondering if something like that can happen as there's lots of fantastic cars out there that are past 15 years old and waiting 10 more years to get them here in the US just sounds like a terrible idea.

ameratsu

Not at all, IIRC, emissions along with crash test ratings are the biggest factors that the US govt looks at in order to determine whether it can get registered or whatever in the country.

What I'm trying to get at is, do the US import laws also apply to Canada?

My scenario as an example, in hopefully plain English: My cousin in Canada buys an 1993 RX-7 either from Japan or in Canada, fixes it up to pass the US import laws whatever they are, then I buy it off him and import it here, to Texas.

Will a scenario like that work?

With that said, I honestly have no plans of importing one really soon. Maybe in a couple of years if a new RX never appears lol. But I'm just wondering if something like that can happen as there's lots of fantastic cars out there that are past 15 years old and waiting 10 more years to get them here in the US just sounds like a terrible idea.

No that will not work, because you do not understand the import laws as they stand.

The 15 year rule in Canada allows people to import any car 15 years old or older by date of manufacture. So if import a Skyline into Canada that's 15 years old, it's legal because there's a federal exemption for cars 15 years old and older stating they do not have to conform to normal vehicle requirements, as any car not imported under that exclusion would have to.Your hypothetical JDM RX-7 would never conform to normal vehicle importation requirements outside of the age-exemption already mentioned, so "fix[ing] it up to pass the US import laws" is impossible short of waiting until it's 25 years old. Crash tests and emissions are entirely irrelevant here.

Note that on the Canadian side of things, some provinces can set additional requirements, meaning that actually registering and insuring your JDM vehicle will be more difficult in some provinces than others. Quebec for example does not allow any new RHD vehicles to be registered in the province, existing ones were grandfathered in I believe.

There is a bit of nuance here, as there was a company in the US actually went through the process to have some Skylines (R33?) be legal to import after they had them crash tested, developed DOT headlights, etc. You can read about this in more detail here. I mention this just as an aside.

No that will not work, because you do not understand the import laws as they stand.

The 15 year law in Canada allows people to import cars that were never sold here originally. So if import a Skyline into Canada it's 15 years old, it's legal because there's a federal exclusion for cars 15 years old and older stating they do not have to conform to normal vehicle requirements, as any car not imported under that exclusion would have to.Your JDM RX-7 would never conform to normal vehicle importation requirements, so "fix[ing] it up to pass the US import laws" is impossible short of waiting until it's 25 years old.

Note that provinces can set additional requirements, meaning that actually registering and insuring your JDM vehicle will be more difficult in some provinces than others. Quebec for example does not allow any new RHD vehicles to be registered in the province, existing ones were grandfathered in I believe.

There is a bit of nuance here, as there was a company in the US actually went through the process to have some Skylines (R33?) be legal to import after they had them crash tested, developed DOT headlights, etc. You can read about this in more detail here. I mention this just as an aside.

Aww poop. That totally sucks.

I was hoping that there was some kind of loophole that people can use. It also sucks that the unimportant laws are loophole free meanwhile the laws that are very important have shittons of loopholes available. I guess that's just America for us lol.

I've also read about those Skylines. It's too bad, what they were doing was totally awesome but the company was sketchy at best.

Anyway, I guess I'll keep waiting lol.

Huh. Saw some teens drag race a s2000 and BMW sedan of some sorts across the street in the afternoon on a sunday in the wealthier burbs in atlanta area.

surprised the s2k was winning when it blew by. Not really my drag racing car of choice.

okay now my car has troubles starting. it needs something like 5-6 seconds until it starts.
but it always works immediately on the second try.
the battery is still fine and the outside temperature doesn't seem to matter. its in the shop for now and they will try to find the problem. luckily my warranty is still good until the 30th of June.

sighs

okay now my car has troubles starting. it needs something like 5-6 seconds until it starts.
the battery is still fine and the outside temperature doesn't seem to matter. its in the shop for now and they will try to find the problem. luckily my warranty is still good until the 30th of June.

sighs

Sounds like the crank sensor needs cleaning/changing if it starts every time on the second try.

sighs

Sounds like a leak somewhere in the fuel system, and it's easy to check if it's a pressure issue. Just turn the key to the on position but not the start position. This turns the fuel pump on. Let it sit for a few seconds and then try to start it. If it then fires right up your fuel system is losing pressure when sitting.

ruxtpin

Banned
Huh. Saw some teens drag race a s2000 and BMW sedan of some sorts across the street in the afternoon on a sunday in the wealthier burbs in atlanta area.

surprised the s2k was winning when it blew by. Not really my drag racing car of choice.

I was driving down 400 in my Z when some douchey guy in a GT-R drove by and revved his engine really loud. whoopee - The car that cost nearly 3x mine is faster ... what a surprise.

It does make you wonder if drag racing is even a 'cool thing' these days when your typical auto v6 camry can handle itself with most 'sports cars' these days on the straight line. Heck, I'm sure a honda odyssey with a decent set of tires can do respectable track times lol.

Luckily the era of kids trying to drag race you with their fresh hot scion tc seems to be over.

Wonder if the fr-s will be the new hot teen car to crash into trees while trying to drift.

ruxtpin

Banned
When I was in high-school my friends and I would drag race in the church parking lot. Just for the record, a stock 93 Dodge Caravan will lose to an early 2000-era Impala. And a 91 Corsica loses to just about everything.

It does make you wonder if drag racing is even a 'cool thing' these days when your typical auto v6 camry can handle itself with most 'sports cars' these days on the straight line. Heck, I'm sure a honda odyssey with a decent set of tires can do respectable track times lol.

Yeah. I was surprised to find out the new 328i I was looking at does 0-60 in like 5.6 or 5.8. As you said, not too long ago that would have been the territory of your dedicated sports car; now that sort-of 'go' is almost the standard.

Sounds like the crank sensor needs cleaning/changing if it starts every time on the second try.

they'll check that out tomorrow.

Sounds like a leak somewhere in the fuel system, and it's easy to check if it's a pressure issue. Just turn the key to the on position but not the start position. This turns the fuel pump on. Let it sit for a few seconds and then try to start it. If it then fires right up your fuel system is losing pressure when sitting.

tried that yesterday. letting it sit doesn't help. they also measured the pressure last time and said it was okay.

thanks for the help though!

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
It would be great not to be treated like a fucking criminal whenever I go to the dealer.

I'll do a write-up later.

sighs

How old is your battery?

reilo

wait what? Are we still talking about drag racing?
No, I'm talking about the "guilty until proven innocent" mindset that dealers have. My rear driver's side CV axle broke, and the dealer I bought my car and got an extended warranty from for situations exactly like this basically put all of the burden on me until they determine that it's not my fault and that I don't have to pay for it.

I'm paying for the rental, too. $35/day, $250 deposit.

I'm here to get my car fixed not to extort anyone.

No, I'm talking about the "guilty until proven innocent" mindset that dealers have. My rear driver's side CV axle broke, and the dealer I bought my car and got an extended warranty from for situations exactly like this basically put all of the burden on me until they determine that it's not my fault and that I don't have to pay for it.

I'm paying for the rental, too. $35/day, $250 deposit.

I'm here to get my car fixed not to extort anyone.

I fucking hate dealers. You have to stick to them to honor anything. They always ALWAYS want to pass the buck.

Mitsubishi is the worst about it.

reilo

I fucking hate dealers. You have to stick to them to honor anything. They always ALWAYS want to pass the buck.

I remember when my ex bought a Mazda3 with 14k miles on it and we took it on a roadtrip a couple of months later and on the way to the destination the car started shaking violently at moderate speed. Turns out, the bolts/lugs holding the rear driver's side just got loose or destroyed and what not and the wheel was coming off.

I got the car towed to the nearest Mazda dealer in town (200miles away from home) and called up the dealer we got the car from. They completely tried to pass the buck, even the service manager I was talkig to saying shit like "you know there could be some jackass going around loosening bolts blah blah blah" until I reminded him that the wheels' safety nut was the one that broke and the bolt holding it in place was destroyed. Eventually I raised enough hell for the dealer to cover everything. That was a really bad accident in the making but thankfully we were ok.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack

Nissan isn't much better. My Z has never once seen a Nissan dealer. The steering lock recall on 370Zs and GTRs are free now...every 2009-2011 car will have a lock that fails and will prevent the car from starting. This was a feature they later removed in 2012s.

Instead I crawled underneath the steering column removed the steering lock myself, went into the engine bay, took apart a bunch of shit on my own and pulled the fuse that controls it. I'd rather spend 1 hour of my own time, than going to a dealer for free.

Fuck service departments.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack

sighs

Fuel issue or possibly cam issue.

My mom's 2013 Volvo S60 does this when it sits for 6 hours and the weather gets cold. That's a classic fuel pump problem.

My wife's old A4 used to do this, and it was a camshaft issue.

reilo

So, here's my little rant.

First, the video evidence: https://www.facebook.com/video/embed?video_id=10100856234471658

I took it to a local shop (run by a guy I know) because at first I thought it was my wheels rubbing against the fender liner (I posted pics earlier). It turns out, that wasn't the case.

The shop mechanic gets it up on the lift, checks the driveshaft, etc, and then finally catches what the CV joint is doing as seen in the video above. Cost to diagnose by the local shop with super friendly service and timely diagnosis? $40. I instantly remember my friend's Speed6 also had the same joint break twice on his car.

At that point I thank the guy and tell him that I have an extended warranty and I'm gonna take it to a dealer because well shit, that's the whole point of the extended warranty to cover things like this.

I finally arrive at the dealer I bought the car and got the extended warranty from and basically tell the story exactly as I did above, even showing the video.

Their first reaction, and shitty attitude to this whole thing, is to first say "I can't go off another shop's diagnosis" even when the issue is obvious to a layman. And that's where the whole thing goes south. First, the service manager tells the spiel that they need to take a look at the car ($125) to confirm the diagnosis. I ask whether or not they can find out if this will be covered by my extended warranty before I even dive into this rabbit hole, because I obviously don't want to pay TRIPLE the amount to another shop to find out what I already knew. The service manager tells me that they can't tell me that until they send in a repair order to warranty company. Really? They can't tell me what's covered by a warranty that I purchased from them?

Eventually, I had to call the warranty company myself (because, again, the shop can't do it without a repair order) and ask what's covered. In short, the warranty will cover it if the dealer determines that the cause of failure was not my doing. At this point I realize that basically their whole mantra is "guilty until proven innocent" and to charge my up the ass before they even do any repair work.

To cover all of my bases, I ask the service manager if the warranty will also cover the cost of diagnosis. They, again, warn me that yes, the warranty will cover it if they determine I did not cause the failure.

At this point I'm already frustrated and just tell the dealer to proceed with diagnosing the car. I then ask about whether I can have a loaner car. They don't have any. I have to go to Enterprise and rent a vehicle. And guess what? The cheapest vehicle they have is $30/day (Yaris), with a $250 deductible/hold on my card and the cost is on me unless the warranty pays for the repairs at which point they'll also cover the rental. Enterprise will refund me any amount from the $250.

In short, what the fuck? Why is it the entire attitude to point the finger at the customer first (even when we know exactly what the issue is), and why is that an acceptable attitude? A $20,000+ (before interest!!) purchase should include better customer relationships than this. Assholes, all of them.

So, here's my little rant.

First, the video evidence: https://www.facebook.com/video/embed?video_id=10100856234471658

In short, what the fuck? Why is it the entire attitude to point the finger at the customer first (even when we know exactly what the issue is), and why is that an acceptable attitude? A $20,000+ (before interest!!) purchase should include better customer relationships than this. Assholes, all of them.

blows my mind that you actually need to pay them just to look at your car. i suppose you are living in the US? the only thing you can do is spread the word that that dealer sucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom