• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Automotive Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

beast786

You bastard ;)

Is that a 13? I don't keep up with car specs too much, but I've heard the price on the GT-R has gone up a bit since it was introduced in the states. What is Nissan doing to the car to justify the price increase?

its 2014.

The premium is just over 100k

Its a beast. Absolutely love the handling.

ruxtpin

Banned
its 2014.

The premium is just over 100k

Its a beast. Absolutely love the handling.

Do you foresee any track days? I remember watching TG and they were talking about the Japanese GT-R - the GPS knew when you we're at a track and all the limiters would get disabled. I thought that was neat.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Man...It really sucks being so tall. I am 6.5 and have problems fitting in most cars that I would love to own. I have been driving VW GTIs for a while since they are great for tall people but I was considering moving to a BRZ after reading it was great for tall people.

Well my roomate bought one last week and I was excited to sit in it and give it a run. Nope...not gonna happen. I can't even get my legs in without them being planted against the dash. Yet another car I pined over thrown out the window.

Any other giant car lovers here? What do you find comfortable to drive?

LLShC.gif

My buddy is 6'5 and drove his 350Z with extreme comfort. You can try a 350Z or 370Z. I'm just a hair over 6'0 with long legs, and I've got tons of headroom and leg room to give in my 370Z.

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
I finally said enough is enough with my 2004 Civic. A few weeks back the tranny started slipping at 98,000km and last week the ignition lock cylinder failed. That's about $1000 for the cylinder (lowest new price installed) and $2000 for a rebuilt transmission service. I said fuck it and traded the poor girl in. Oh and the right front hub is beginning to go as of 3 days ago.

I ended up getting a 2008 Toyota Yaris LE 4 door hatchback with all power options and 37,000km. Blasphemy! Yes it is a tiny, underpowered appliance but it's fun to throw into corners and pretty versatile for our needs. Since the gf got a 2005 Echo last year I've been wanting a tiny hatch. Good riddance to Honda and their "reliability" claims.

After trade in and warranty the Yaris was $8000. Note that cars are fucking expensive up in the great white north. Yes I could have driven down south but who knows if the Shitvic could take it.

Blah.

Btw NEVER GET POLYURETHANE BUSHINGS!

Edit- It was between the Yaris and a 2005 Legacy GT Wagon. The Subbie was in rough shape. Would have needed a new paint job at least. The wheels were scrapped to shit too:( one day...

Those are going to look fantastic on your s15. Too bad you won't have in your hands for another year.

I'm counting down the days!

I was looking at those for my 370. Need to wait a bit, but those are some great looking wheels.

Yeah TE37's have been a personal fav of mine for a while. It's nice that I'm finally able to splash cash and purchase some. I was hunting down this specific colour since it was only available in Japan, so it took me a while to build a full set in the sizes I wanted (it's been discontinued).

First it was the Silvia, and now this?? Good lord, you sir are living the dream. I'd personally switch the Silvia with an FD RX-7, but those TE37's are my dream set of wheels. Consider me really jealous right now.

Yeah I was going back and forth with buying a GTR or this. I decided to buy this and spend the difference on a new family SUV. The nice thing is that I can still spend some money since it was $25K cheaper then a GTR34.

Great wheels man. I dropped $5,500 on my wheels/tires last April. :lol

My man ! *respek knuckles*

Aww poop. That totally sucks.

I was hoping that there was some kind of loophole that people can use. It also sucks that the unimportant laws are loophole free meanwhile the laws that are very important have shittons of loopholes available. I guess that's just America for us lol.

I've also read about those Skylines. It's too bad, what they were doing was totally awesome but the company was sketchy at best.

Anyway, I guess I'll keep waiting lol.

Yeah it's already been mentioned but the CPB/NHTSA is quite clear that the importation documentation of the car, must show that the vehicle was imported no sooner than the month it meets the requirements for the 25 year rule.

I know you can get any car now (Grey Import) but you run the risk of having ICE knocking on your door, and confiscating it with no warning. It would be state titled but not federally legal.

I personally know a few people (Living in America) who own JZX100's, GTR's, Silva's, Earlier Evo's and Honda Type R's who have rolled the dice, and haven't run into any problems so far.

CA guys are screwed anyways because of emissions.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Wait...

We also appreciate the sound engineering that went into the new 3. Despite boasting a wheelbase that's longer than the car it replaces, we're pleased to see that Mazda has kept its exterior size in check – it's actually shorter overall than the last-gen model – while also reducing weight by about 200 pounds. That's bound to be good for the new 3's dynamic properties.

Holy shit.

That would put the 5-door GT model within 100lbs of BRZ weight. Wtf.

How not to promote a 16 year old car and ask $12,000 for it:

http://salem.craigslist.org/cto/3897755845.html

Eh, I don't know what the drift scene is like but I've seen that race-prepped cars tend to hold value close to what it costs to build one up from stock since your only other option is to... build one up from stock.

If it's just a non-spec 240sx with lots of power that doesn't make a lot of sense, though. Oh and no roll cage, boo. What's the point of gutting an interior if you're not going to get a roll cage in it?

I haven't had any time to go and drive my evo or my m3 lately.

Seriously considering selling the evo, it deserves to be driven not just left in a garage.

Wait...

Holy shit.

That would put the 5-door GT model within 100lbs of BRZ weight. Wtf.

lol can't imagine someone debating between a 86 and a 3 though.

maybe speed3 for a fun car... but still, a turbo hot hatch vs rear wheel sideways driving coupe.

mpg must be a beast on the 3 though.

I haven't had any time to go and drive my evo or my m3 lately.

Seriously considering selling the evo, it deserves to be driven not just left in a garage.

That's kind of how I feel about my motorcycle right now. Since I bought the 911 a few weeks back I haven't taken the bike out once (it doesn't help that it's stuffed in the back of the garage). I'm also thinking about selling the Volvo and getting a truck (blech) so I can tow my cars around if need be, it can tow the bike on a trailer just fine but a car would be pushing it.

Edit: Too many vehicles as toys! #firstworldproblems

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
lol can't imagine someone debating between a 86 and a 3 though.

maybe speed3 for a fun car... but still, a turbo hot hatch vs rear wheel sideways driving coupe.

mpg must be a beast on the 3 though.

The current SkyActiv Mazda3 already gets close to 40MPG on gasoline alone, so yea...

ruxtpin

Banned
Had to the take my 370Z to have the dealership look at some trunk rattling issues. I tried to see if I could determine/fix the problem, but no dice.

I was given a Sentra as a rental car. Damn it this thing is a snooze fest.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Had to the take my 370Z to have the dealership look at some trunk rattling issues. I tried to see if I could determine/fix the problem, but no dice.

This is a 5 minute fix dude...you just have to unclip the panel that covers the hatch lock, and adjust the latch by tightening two bolts.

TCRS

Banned

my favourite car in Forza 2. Drove like shit but was fun.

ruxtpin

Banned
This is a 5 minute fix dude...you just have to unclip the panel that covers the hatch lock, and adjust the latch by tightening two bolts.

I'm pretty sure this isn't that issue. The one you're talking about I saw on the 370Z forums. This is a higher pitched rattling that sounds like it's coming from the hatch joint, underneath those plastic panels. While driving I can reach back and tap the plastic panel (that's closest to the roof) and the rattling amplifies, leading me to believe that whatever it rattling is coming from that area.

Karish

I got a Veloster this weekend. Upgrading from a 2001 Malibu. I had no idea how someone could love a car before, because I only had shit cars, but I'm beginning to get it...

1011055_10102735228961053_1936114117_n.jpg

So friend bought a s2k 60k miles for 20k and i road around with him.

This car is fucking fantastic wtf.

Love the digital speedo lol. Man, whats up with honda these days (and no I don't want a hybrid nsx, and will probably never be able to afford one anyways :p)

That vtec.

Just got this yesterday. So damn excited. My son calls it the zoom zoom.

Damn. That's awesome! Congrats man.

One of my dream cars right there.

I know you can get any car now (Grey Import) but you run the risk of having ICE knocking on your door, and confiscating it with no warning. It would be state titled but not federally legal.

I personally know a few people (Living in America) who own JZX100's, GTR's, Silva's, Earlier Evo's and Honda Type R's who have rolled the dice, and haven't run into any problems so far.

CA guys are screwed anyways because of emissions.

Yeah, I've seen an RHD EK Civic Type R here last year. I'm guessing it's street legal coz it was on the road. I don't think people really care here about importing cars or grey imports as it's too much of a hassle.

new mazda3 in white

Wow. That is beautiful. I didn't necessarily like the red color, but in white? Wow. That looks really good.

Man, whats up with honda these days

Dead on the inside.

Speaking of the S2K... I've been trying to find out why it stopped selling and why Honda killed it.

Here's Mazda who, during the economic crash in 2008, was bleeding cash from the inside. Ford sold them, and they were basically left to die and rot. But despite all that, they still sold and are still selling the Miata up to this day. And they've magnificently recovered to the point that they're actually making bank these days. Then we've got the Korean car companies as well, they're doing fantastic considering their shoddy history.

But here's Honda, who during the economic crash, still could swim in their piles of cash. They started off by killing the NSX and from there it went downhill by slowly neutering their lineup and then killing off the S2K. Now only the Civic Si can claim to be part of Honda's legendary racing history, but even that car is just a shell of what the past Si's were.

What happened? Was it Honda's chase to be the new king of beige, aka Toyota? During those years, it was basically split between Toyota and Honda as the most profitable car company in the world. Now Toyota's on the upside with the GT86/FR-S/BRZ yet Honda is still sitting on it's ass calling their engines "Earth Dreams" or some bullshit that doesn't even make any sense.

TL;DR: I want the old Honda back. :(

TylerD

EVERYTHING IS GREAT AND EVERYONE IS HAPPY

That is fine, but why piss in the Cornflakes of a new auto-gaf poster that is clearly excited about thier new purchase?

Anyway, Mazda absolutely needs to sell a ton of 3s, 6s, and CX-5s. They were considered to be really struggling and the future of the brand hinges on those seemingly great vehicles. People just need to buy them.

beast786

10,000% jelly. Congrats! BTW, you need to correct your son and tell him to say "Shift_<word>"

Congrats on the new GTR. Welcome to "the club". :)

Congrats on the GTR!

Thank you all. Zlong time coming.

Congrats fellow R35 owner!!

gun metal is such an awesome color, I was so close in getting gun metal, but I had history with white cars so I settled for white.

Yea, was really looking at white, especially with option red inside looks amazing. But, keeping it clean would be impossible for lazy ass like me ;p

Yeah, I've seen an RHD EK Civic Type R here last year. I'm guessing it's street legal coz it was on the road. I don't think people really care here about importing cars or grey imports as it's too much of a hassle.

Wow. That is beautiful. I didn't necessarily like the red color, but in white? Wow. That looks really good.

Dead on the inside.

Speaking of the S2K... I've been trying to find out why it stopped selling and why Honda killed it.

Here's Mazda who, during the economic crash in 2008, was bleeding cash from the inside. Ford sold them, and they were basically left to die and rot. But despite all that, they still sold and are still selling the Miata up to this day. And they've magnificently recovered to the point that they're actually making bank these days. Then we've got the Korean car companies as well, they're doing fantastic considering their shoddy history.

But here's Honda, who during the economic crash, still could swim in their piles of cash. They started off by killing the NSX and from there it went downhill by slowly neutering their lineup and then killing off the S2K. Now only the Civic Si can claim to be part of Honda's legendary racing history, but even that car is just a shell of what the past Si's were.

What happened? Was it Honda's chase to be the new king of beige, aka Toyota? During those years, it was basically split between Toyota and Honda as the most profitable car company in the world. Now Toyota's on the upside with the GT86/FR-S/BRZ yet Honda is still sitting on it's ass calling their engines "Earth Dreams" or some bullshit that doesn't even make any sense.

TL;DR: I want the old Honda back. :(

Well miata is like 10k cheaper and actually sold well unlike s2k :)

So I figured this would be the best place to talk about this without starting a new thread...

Tomorrow I plan on going to a Chevy and Ford dealer to test drive a Camaro and Mustang. My question: what exactly do I say when I want to test drive these? I'm sure they are going to try to force me to buy something. I'm not looking to buy for another few weeks. Should I just be honest with them and tell them I'm only here to see if I like the Camaro or Mustang better?

Also, how easy is it to 'build' your car, the way they have it on the sites? Do dealerships allow this or is it just whatever is on the lot?

If it isn't clear, this is my first time looking at cars alone lol.

So I figured this would be the best place to talk about this without starting a new thread...

Tomorrow I plan on going to a Chevy and Ford dealer to test drive a Camaro and Mustang. My question: what exactly do I say when I want to test drive these? I'm sure they are going to try to force me to buy something. I'm not looking to buy for another few weeks. Should I just be honest with them and tell them I'm only here to see if I like the Camaro or Mustang better?

Also, how easy is it to 'build' your car, the way they have it on the sites? Do dealerships allow this or is it just whatever is on the lot?

If it isn't clear, this is my first time looking at cars alone lol.
Be honest, but look super interested. be patient, let the dealer dude go through all his sales talk.

From experience, it is quite hard to get test drives for sporty cars unless you out to buy, so if you look like a young guy... wear a collar shirt or something to look serious wouldn't hurt.

Dealerships allow building up a car and ordering. Usually they look around the area to see if there is a match, then they 'trade' with that dealership. Otherwise it's an order from the factory which can take a few months.

ruxtpin

Banned
Be honest, but look super interested. be patient, let the dealer dude go through all his sales talk.

From experience, it is quite hard to get test drives for sporty cars unless you out to buy, so if you look like a young guy... wear a collar shirt or something to look serious wouldn't hurt.

Dealerships allow building up a car and ordering. Usually they look around the area to see if there is a match, then they 'trade' with that dealership. Otherwise it's an order from the factory which can take a few months.

Puhlease. I go the Bimmer dealership in my shorts and low-cut Chuck Taylor's, v-neck T with a little bit of chest hair showing... "I wanna' test drive!" =P

Puhlease. I go the Bimmer dealership in my shorts and low-cut Chuck Taylor's, v-neck T with a little bit of chest hair showing... "I wanna' test drive!" =P

I don't see why they wouldn't let you test drive that with that outfit. I mean it's the perfect outfit for asshats and we know BMW owners are asshats, so I don't see why they'd stop you from test driving.

No offense Bimmer owners, I'm obviously joking btw.
:p

Anyway, just got out of Discount Tire and replaced my Yoko S-Drives with another set of S-Drives. Excuse the Instagram pic but this is the difference between the old and the new:

I'm gonna break it in for 1k miles, but the difference is pretty surprising. Remember how I complained in the past that my suspension shitty as hell? I think I'm blaming the tires on that one. I passed the usual shitty roads that's on my way to my house and the ride feels much more softer. I'm gonna be able to test them out again later today on the way to work, so hopefully that wasn't just a placebo effect haha.

Also, I'm surprised Discount Tire price matched Tire Rack's prices. They were $125 at DT but $112 at TR. So overall I'm pretty happy about it.

Edit: Somebody made a rendering of what the next gen Mazdaspeed3 could look like.

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/06/28/next-mazdaspeed3-could-look-this-good/

Oh my.

Cue the frytakemymoney.jpg.

minx

Man...It really sucks being so tall. I am 6.5 and have problems fitting in most cars that I would love to own. I have been driving VW GTIs for a while since they are great for tall people but I was considering moving to a BRZ after reading it was great for tall people.

Well my roomate bought one last week and I was excited to sit in it and give it a run. Nope...not gonna happen. I can't even get my legs in without them being planted against the dash. Yet another car I pined over thrown out the window.

Any other giant car lovers here? What do you find comfortable to drive?

LLShC.gif

Most comfortable? Jeep Grand Cherokee. Didn't fit in a BRZ at all. Same with 350Z that someone else recommended. Mustang isn't bad since there is no moonroof. That's the key for me. Vehicles with these huge panoramic sunroofs eat up so much headroom.

mr2t

Banned
I'm dying for Subaru to make a turbo BRZ. I test drove the fr-s but still much prefer my mr2. May just end up modding my 335i.

ruxtpin

Banned
Anyone here have a VW GTI? Any thoughts on having one as a daily driver? From a comfortability, reliability, and cost of ownership standpoint? Seems that the 2014 is getting a HP boost. I test drove one earlier today. I really liked the seats, but it didn't seem like the quietest ride. If I wanted the 14 model, I'd have to wait a bit tho.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Anyone here have a VW GTI? Any thoughts on having one as a daily driver? From a comfortability, reliability, and cost of ownership standpoint? Seems that the 2014 is getting a HP boost. I test drove one earlier today. I really liked the seats, but it didn't seem like the quietest ride. If I wanted the 14 model, I'd have to wait a bit tho.

Chris Harris seems to like the MK7 GTI. The US-spec model will have 210 horsepower and about 250 torques, and we're getting the performance package with 10 extra horsepower, bigger brakes, and a limited-slip differential.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom