• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Automotive Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

hwalker84

For around that money, new and from a dealership, I'm 95% sure I'd go with a 370z now that they dropped the price.

Honestly though, if you're waiting for the Challenger refresh, why don't you just hold off? Not having car payments is nice (part of that club), and it won't be much longer at this point.

Cause I'm crazy and I know you're correct. Just have the itch. Probably will wait though.

mkenyon

Banned
Cause I'm crazy and I know you're correct. Just have the itch. Probably will wait though.
I think the BRZ would feel really underpowered to you probably. Having something that small and light might be really rad in terms of perspective though.

I'd imagine they'll hold their value fairly well, almost all Subies do.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Guys I'm in the mood to try something new. One of my cars (my baby) is a 2009 Challenger R/T with 25,000 miles on it (bought brand new). The refresh slipped till next year and I'm thinking of getting a new car between now and the refresh. I'm looking at a BRZ Limited. Gaf am I crazy? I was thinking after trade in and throwing some money down my payment would be less than $150. I also haven't had a car payment since Jan 2011.

edit: and I want to get some time on a manual. Never owned one.

There will be no refresh for the Challenger. The refresh was last year and that's it. 2013 may also be the last year of production for the car and there will be no new Challenger model. The next car is said to be called a Cuda and will be significantly smaller and lighter.

hwalker84

There will be no refresh for the Challenger. The refresh was last year and that's it. 2013 may also be the last year of production for the car and there will be no new Challenger model. The next car is said to be called a Cuda and will be significantly smaller and lighter.

Not true. Super old rumors bro. Cuda is making a comeback and the Challenger will be truly refreshed next year. 6.2L Hellcat for the beyond srt8 model.

Halvie

Banned
Guys I'm in the mood to try something new. One of my cars (my baby) is a 2009 Challenger R/T with 25,000 miles on it (bought brand new). The refresh slipped till next year and I'm thinking of getting a new car between now and the refresh. I'm looking at a BRZ Limited. Gaf am I crazy? I was thinking after trade in and throwing some money down my payment would be less than $150. I also haven't had a car payment since Jan 2011.

Refresh or barracuda? Interested to see how that turns out, but heard it got pushed back another couple years and don't want to wait that long.

hwalker84

Refresh or barracuda? Interested to see how that turns out, but heard it got pushed back another couple years and don't want to wait that long.

Yeah I could see myself going Cuda if it looks sick. Challenger refresh was supposed to be this year but they're behind. I'm not going to drop srt8 cash and my car looks exactly the same.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Not true. Super old rumors bro. Cuda is making a comeback and the Challenger will be truly refreshed next year. 6.2L Hellcat for the beyond srt8 model.

As of May 2013, it's still the most recent word from sources:

http://www.caranddriver.com/feature...5-cars-worth-waiting-for-20142017-future-cars

2014s are hitting dealers now, but quantities are low AFAIK. It's just a liquidation at this point. I'd love to see a source that says the Challenger will live on, though. I've considered a 392 due the sheer lunacy of the thing.

hwalker84

As of May 2013, it's still the most recent word from sources:

http://www.caranddriver.com/feature...5-cars-worth-waiting-for-20142017-future-cars

2014s are hitting dealers now, but quantities are low AFAIK. It's just a liquidation at this point. I'd love to see a source that says the Challenger will live on, though. I've considered a 392 due the sheer lunacy of the thing.

From available info and industry insiders
*** PRELIMINARY AND SPECULATIVE INFORMATION - SUBJECT TO CHANGE ****

Exclusive information for ChallengerTalk.com
Compiled by ResumeSpeed
Last updated: June 10, 2013

World Premiere: Late March, 2014 Springfest (Irvine, CA) / Wednesday April 16, 2014 - NY Auto Show

2015 order banks open: June 4, 2014

Last day of production for 2014 LC models: July 2014

2015 sales Launch: September 1, 2014

------------------------------------------

2015 Models:

SXT, R/T, SRT Core / SRT / SRT "Hellcat"

2015 Engines:

3.6L Pentastar V6 (SXT/SXT Plus)

5.7L VVT Hemi (R/T manual trans)
5.7L VVT Hemi MDS (R/T automatic trans)

6.4L Hemi MDS (SRT automatic trans)
6.4L Hemi w/o MDS (SRT manual trans)

6.2L Hemi MDS Supercharged (SRT "Hellcat" auto trans)
6.2L Hemi w/o MDS Supercharged (SRT "Hellcat" manual trans)

2015 Transmissions:

8-sp auto w/AutoStick (all models)
6-sp TREMEC manual (R/T and SRT)

2015 What's New:

New: "LA" series, major refresh
New: All-new interior
New: 6.2L Supercharged engine (SRT)
New: 8-spd transmissions
New: Refreshed front and rear fascias
New: Halo headlamps
New: LED split taillamps
New: 2nd generation 8.4" radios
New: Customizable color TFT instrument cluster display
New: "ecall" - one-touch 911 access, Roadside Assistance Services & crash notification
New: Advanced Performance Pages screens (SRT only)
New: Remote lock/unlock doors, start vehicle, flash lights from any distance via the web or a smartphone app
New: 3rd generation flexible Uconnect radio platform with voice recognition technology for handsfree mobile phone, music, texting and navigation operation
New: ParkView rear backup camera
New: HD Radio
New: New electrical architecture system

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
Is toyota ever going to bring back the supra. and where is the new subaru wrx production model hiding.

I'm looking to get a sports car for my next ride, and my budget is around 40k

I was under the impression that the new Barracuda was replacing the Challenger, which is what I meant when I mentioned refresh earlier. Marchionne still doesn't seem horribly interested in Dodge which is why I was kinda doubting two RWD sport coupes, even if they do fit different slots, unless it's part of their plan to separate SRT even further from Dodge and make it a full (luxury?) performance marque.

Is toyota ever going to bring back the supra. and where is the new subaru wrx production model hiding.

I'm looking to get a sports car for my next ride, and my budget is around 40k

The new WRX is due to show up during the upcoming auto show season I believe. News just hit today that they seem to be dropping the 5-door sportback though.

Is it this beauty?
800px-1997_Previa_SC_AWD.jpg
yup!
uwou.jpg

these are amazing minivans that handle like a car.

Ty4on

I think the BRZ would feel really underpowered to you probably. Having something that small and light might be really rad in terms of perspective though.

I'd imagine they'll hold their value fairly well, almost all Subies do.
Drive a 80hp pickup, now it's a rocket ship.
yup!
uwou.jpg

these are amazing minivans that handle like a car.
Maybe because the first car I got to drive and got accustomed to was a minivan, but I really don't see why so many hate them. The shape makes sense, they're kind on fuel, comfortable and easy to drive.
How many here trust the long life service intervals of 30 000 km?

That's long? The Cadillac Seville in the late 90s had a service interval of 160 000 km :p

No Love

Banned
Yeah my neighbors are a lot more into euro cars than I am :p I'm still definitely in the minor leagues compared to them though. Won't say much more than that :)

I debated posting that pic for a while, but it was legitimately the first pic I took of the car. I had a feeling you guys would pick up on the background :p

But back to the reason I posted :p the car is partially crippled right now due to what I think is a missing fuse - the car is displaying similar symptoms to some of the other owners with the fuse problem. I wanted to get some insight (since I remember beast786 also had one on here) and maybe share in a not so brilliant moment that utterly crushed my enthusiasm for the thing.

I should probably be more angry about it but I'm still kind of laughing at how absurd it is. The car still drives, just that some of the electrics don't seem to be functioning properly, possibly due to a <$0.10 fuse. But that little oversight has me worried that I may be overlooking some other possible issues with the car however.

Thanks! And yeah I've been pretty light on the throttle so far, it's interesting how the dealer never mentioned a proper break in even when I asked him about it.

They've also taken the time to say quite a lot of opposite of what owners have been saying about their cars, which I found a bit odd. But the sight of them frantically flipping through a manual to look for an answer to a question I asked should have told me everything.

I've actually bumped into the gas door problem in another Nissan before, it sounds like it's the same case here (where after tightening it you'll have to drive it for a few miles for the light to deactivate) and a very active tire pressure sensor that went off quite a few times.

Congrats on the GT-R. I want to pick one up too in a year or two to go along with my Z06. Z06 and GTR right now are my two most desired cars.

well if you want a good first mt. you can't go wrong with 86 or miata. some of the best shifter and clutch.

Forsete

That's long? The Cadillac Seville in the late 90s had a service interval of 160 000 km :p

And what did the oil look like after each service? :p

I am going in on my own accord soon, and I will ask them to change from long life to 15 000 km service intervals.

Ty4on

And what did the oil look like after each service? :p

I am going in on my own accord soon, and I will ask them to change from long life to 15 000 km service intervals.

That was the main service while oil was controlled by the computer. Could differ from cars to cars, but I think the standard system is log how much fuel is used and warn about changing oil when like 2500l fuel has been used. IIRC that's what BMW does and it makes sense it would be similar.

The service intervals recommended by the manufacturer are usually quite conservative so I would not worry about them unless there's something wrong with them. I know of a BMW autobox (on the E39) which was sealed for life with regards to oil change, but it still required an oil change and would usually break before 160 000km if you didn't. Beemers (from the 90s) also had bad cooling systems and vanos liked to fail resulting in rough idle or lack of power.
Stealth BMW post? I read way too much about the E39 when i fell in love with it :p

Forsete

That was the main service while oil was controlled by the computer. Could differ from cars to cars, but I think the standard system is log how much fuel is used and warn about changing oil when like 2500l fuel has been used. IIRC that's what BMW does and it makes sense it would be similar.

The service intervals recommended by the manufacturer are usually quite conservative so I would not worry about them unless there's something wrong with them. I know of a BMW autobox (on the E39) which was sealed for life with regards to oil change, but it still required an oil change and would usually break before 160 000km if you didn't. Beemers (from the 90s) also had bad cooling systems and vanos liked to fail resulting in rough idle or lack of power.
Stealth BMW post? I read way too much about the E39 when i fell in love with it :p

Long life might work in some countries.. But not mine which has winter 6+ months of the year. :p

I am also starting to see on forums people recommending car buyers to avoid "long life serviced cars".. And I have talked to mechanics which say long life service intervals is horrible for the engine.

It is true that the computer tells you when your service is due. My friend who has a Skoda changed his oil at 10 000 km, without resetting the ECU.. 2 000 km after his own oil change the computer said it wanted to be serviced. :p So he got 2 000 km out of his brand new oil.

I don't believe that for a second :eek:

You'll need to lower it and chuck out the extra seats. Get it retuned!

Yea the internals are actually pretty strong
http://lextreme.com/toyovans.com/previa_rods.html
Previa rods on top.
7ern.jpg

So theoretically, I should be able to turn up the boost quite a bit, but no one seems to fork out the money for it, need a custom pully for the SC14 supercharger.

its really just a 22RE engine reworked with DOHC and turned on its side, like a boxer engine.

No Love

Banned
Yea the internals are actually pretty strong
http://lextreme.com/toyovans.com/previa_rods.html
Previa rods on top.
7ern.jpg

So theoretically, I should be able to turn up the boost quite a bit, but no one seems to fork out the money for it, need a custom pully for the SC14 supercharger.

its really just a 22RE engine reworked with DOHC and turned on its side, like a boxer engine.

Put it on E85. Also, you might be better off putting on a different, upgraded supercharger.

Put it on E85. Also, you might be better off putting on a different, upgraded supercharger.

lol I am not looking at making it into a supercar really, just going to make it easier to pick up parts and stuff from the yard, as well as tow a track car later on down the road

overall before I add too much boost (its set to 5PSi now) I am going to need to find a stronger head gasket for it, as thats the only real weakness I can find for the engine, the transmission is even the same one in the LS400, so the auto can take some abuse, and I believe the manual is a cable driven W56 or W58

and as far as E85, I may consider it an option later on, but the 22 - 25MPG highway it gets now is low as it is, wouldnt want to take it lower.

I have thought about a CNG setup for it though.

No Love

Banned
lol I am not looking at making it into a supercar really, just going to make it easier to pick up parts and stuff from the yard, as well as tow a track car later on down the road

overall before I add too much boost (its set to 5PSi now) I am going to need to find a stronger head gasket for it, as thats the only real weakness I can find for the engine, the transmission is even the same one in the LS400, so the auto can take some abuse, and I believe the manual is a cable driven W56 or W58

and as far as E85, I may consider it an option later on, but the 22 - 25MPG highway it gets now is low as it is, wouldnt want to take it lower.

I have thought about a CNG setup for it though.

I don't think CNG will work, nor would it have any benefit.

As for E85, all it takes is a Walbro 255 fuel pump, upgraded injectors, and a tune. E85 is also usually $1/gallon less than 91/93, so not only does it make additional power, but costs about the same to drive on in terms of $ per mile driven.

Also, E85 makes gobs and gobs of torque. If I didn't limit the torque, my Evo would easily make 450-500 wtq (wish I had a built block so I could run that much torque... feels mindblowing). That's on a 2.0L engine. It really is a huge difference to drive on E85 vs pump gas. Everything about the engine feels smoother and healthier. I'd say on one of those Previas, just doing a pulley for 10-15 psi and E85 conversion alone (E85 will allow you to run much higher boost) would pick up more power than anything else you can do to it, probably 30-50 whp and 30+ wtq. I'm guessing injectors for those motors are dirt cheap too.

I don't think CNG will work, nor would it have any benefit.

As for E85, all it takes is a Walbro 255 fuel pump, upgraded injectors, and a tune. E85 is also usually $1/gallon less than 91/93, so not only does it make additional power, but costs about the same to drive on in terms of $ per mile driven.

Also, E85 makes gobs and gobs of torque. If I didn't limit the torque, my Evo would easily make 450-500 wtq. That's on a 2.0L engine. It really is a huge difference to drive on E85 vs pump gas. Everything about the engine feels smoother and healthier. I'd say on one of those Previas, just doing a pulley for 10-15 psi and E85 conversion alone (E85 will allow you to run much higher boost) would pick up more power than anything else you can do to it, probably 30-50 whp and 30+ wtq. I'm guessing injectors for those motors are dirt cheap too.
Yea, of the few stations around me its about 70 cents cheaper at best. and what kind of drops in mileage would I expect?

What I would really like to do is get the turbo diesel engine that these things have in japan and the UK and get 35 - 40MPG and see about boosting the power of one of those, but dumbass CA smog laws...

No Love

Banned
Yea, of the few stations around me its about 70 cents cheaper at best. and what kind of drops in mileage would I expect?

What I would really like to do is get the turbo diesel engine that these things have in japan and the UK and get 35 - 40MPG and see about boosting the power of one of those, but dumbass CA smog laws...

About 25-30% loss.

Yeah Europe gets awesome turbo diesel shit from Toyota. I would love to have an FJ Cruiser with turbo diesel... fml.

And yep, we get fucked here in CA for no good reason. Hence why I have illegal engine modification tickets, despite my car running cleaner than it did from the factory and using less gasoline than a Prius, while people with motorcycles, classic cars, and freight trucks pollute 10x more than I do and nobody gives a shit.

Speaking of the subject, Autogaf: when the world has almost completely moved to pure Electric or whatever else, what do you think is going to happen to us?

think gas would get more expensive or cheaper?

Ty4on

Long life might work in some countries.. But not mine which has winter 6+ months of the year. :p

I am also starting to see on forums people recommending car buyers to avoid "long life serviced cars".. And I have talked to mechanics which say long life service intervals is horrible for the engine.

It is true that the computer tells you when your service is due. My friend who has a Skoda changed his oil at 10 000 km, without resetting the ECU.. 2 000 km after his own oil change the computer said it wanted to be serviced. :p So he got 2 000 km out of his brand new oil.

I'd just change it for the regular interval. Filters have got be changed too.

That poor Skoda has no idea what condition his oil is actually in, it's just a fancy alarm clock for it :p
Speaking of the subject, Autogaf: when the world has almost completely moved to pure Electric or whatever else, what do you think is going to happen to us?

think gas would get more expensive or cheaper?
The world is moving so slowly and we still seem to find more oil so I think it would be more gradual. There'd need to be a decent chemical battery replacement unless changing batteries/powercharging kicks off. I also have a feeling it'll instead move more towards methanol and biodiesel as oil prices rise as they got great range and are renewable, but I'd personally kill for more electric cars. Electric busses would be much more comfortable and for a work car an electric would respond in an instance with max torque, never have a bad clutch and never require an oil change. They still suck in some areas, but it's not like regular cars aren't also heavy and sound bad. I'd never own one ATM, but I'd happily drive one if you understand.

Looked at the Tesla because up here it doesn't cost much more than a well equipped VW (emission taxes) and got my parents kind of interested because it (barely) has enough charge to drive the five hours up to me.

Zoolader

It's too bad e85 isn't available in Tampa yet. The closest station that I know of is 50 miles away from me. I was once considering buying a 55 gallon steel barrel and a cheapo pickup truck just to have the fuel, glad I talked myself out of that.

Kenka

Is there a Skoda Octavia estate with the same engine where you are yet? Would be the same basic car but bigger and cheaper.
Yes there is a possibility. But the engine in there is the same as the current model of the Golf MkVII Estate; that means, it consumes 0.6L/100km more than the Bluemotion one.

But I do agree it has a big appeal:

P0515440.JPG

No Love

Banned
It's too bad e85 isn't available in Tampa yet. The closest station that I know of is 50 miles away from me. I was once considering buying a 55 gallon steel barrel and a cheapo pickup truck just to have the fuel, glad I talked myself out of that.

Damn that sucks... 50 miles away is too far. If it's race only fuel, it'd work, but for DD it'd be annoying driving that far and back just to get a 55 gallon worth.

But it really is race gas for the street. E85 works at about the same level as 114-115 octane fuel in forced induction cars. It is amazing.

Yeah it's too bad, it was a great utility-meets-performance car.

Supposedly the sedan variant sells 2:1.

Also, go fill up sometime today AutoGAF, that Syria mess is bound to hike prices in the coming days.

is there any negatives of 5 doors? does it add much weight? Who wouldn't want more storage for... i think the same price?

is there any negatives of 5 doors? does it add much weight? Who wouldn't want more storage for... i think the same price?

I think the weight difference is minimal, but someone correct me if I'm wrong, the STi 5-door is a bit more expensive, but yeah, I can't wrap my head around it either.

My only guess is that the new gen model (concept) is a lot curvier and doesn't translate as easily to a hatchback variant.

N-Bomb

I think the weight difference is minimal, but someone correct me if I'm wrong, the STi 5-door is a bit more expensive, but yeah, I can't wrap my head around it either.

My only guess is that the new gen model (concept) is a lot curvier and doesn't translate as easily to a hatchback variant.

I think it comes down to just saving costs. One body style is cheaper to tool for, more use of economy of scale.

That said, if the next Z is really going to lose 400 lbs, and if they can manage to not fugly it up, that might be a good option for the performance-minded! See, the existence of the Toyobaru is already paying dividends elsewhere! Competition! We might see a funkar renaissance before the decade is up!

kharma45

Yes there is a possibility. But the engine in there is the same as the current model of the Golf MkVII Estate; that means, it consumes 0.6L/100km more than the Bluemotion one.

But I do agree it has a big appeal:

P0515440.JPG

I had presumed Skoda would've had their Greenline versions out already to compete with the Bluemotion, but we don't have it here in the UK either for whatever reason.

No Love

Banned
Gonna start using my mom's E34 525i 5-speed today as a DD and let the Evo sit at home. Evo has no AC and it sucks in SoCal heat. E34 is such a nice cruiser, rides so smooth and tons of low end torque. Gotta recharge the AC system though, but no big deal. Might pick up some 16" Style 5's for it since a fresh set is $150 and put new tires on it.

God I love old BMW's, they are such great cars. Wish BMW was still that way.

Gonna start using my mom's E34 525i 5-speed today as a DD and let the Evo sit at home. Evo has no AC and it sucks in SoCal heat. E34 is such a nice cruiser, rides so smooth and tons of low end torque. Gotta recharge the AC system though, but no big deal. Might pick up some 16" Style 5's for it since a fresh set is $150 and put new tires on it.

God I love old BMW's, they are such great cars. Wish BMW was still that way.

I'm too much of a wimp to delete the AC from any of my project cars (over the years). Even though it's not my daily, it HAS to have nice ice cold AC.

I have friends who have deleted their AC, drive gutted cars on the street, and I wonder how they do it...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom