• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Automotive Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
So when buying a new car whats the max number of miles it should have?

Obviously it may have a few at most if they drive it around the lot to park it, but at what point should I be concerned?

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack

unless you seeing big price cuts.

Umm no.

So if it has more should I ask them for $$ off?

No. If it has over 50, that's a fair amount of mileage on a new car, sure...but it's not uncommon. Cars go for test drives, they'll get some bit of mileage before sold. You can ask the dealer to give you one with the lowest possible mileage, but it may not suit your color, options, etc.

My Jaguar had 6 miles on it. My 370Z had 21.

N-Bomb

Not much of a sports guy are you?

I play, not much into watching.

NBA-Agers have a bunch of similar floating head avatars. Both of our avatars are players from the OKC Thunder.

Ahh, I see!

unless you seeing big price cuts.

Always custom order from the factory. Don't take anyone else's sloppy seconds!

Actually, on a serious note - my dad wants to replace his CRV. I'm trying to think of some stuff to reccomend to him. He's already looked at a Ford Transit Connect, has looked at a Sprinter in the past. I feel like he might've looked at a VW Tiguan due to a VW biz card in there. Can anyone recommend anything else similar to those? I think Nissan has some new vannish thing, and Dodge might be coming out with a new one? No minivans! No full-size SUVs!

Halvie

Banned
2014-Lexus-GX-Facelift-1%252524%25255B2%25255D.jpg

Do they honestly think that looks good...

and

attachment.php

So ebay taillights, lame quad tailpipes, and barf front bumper. Swell job vw.

Not sure if this is really the right thread to ask in since it seems geared way more toward high end cars, but I guess it's as good as any to ask in.

So I've had extremely bad luck with cars the past year that I've been driving. I'm sure this will make all of you cringe with how bad the decisions probably were, so I'll keep it short.

First car was a 2000 Sebring that I for some reason let my dad convince me to get. The car itself was $3000, and when all was said and done about $2000 more was put into that car, before the engine blew out and almost caused me to die. The "warranty" wouldn't cover the engine because the mechanic we took it to lied, so it was literally $5000 down the drain, and a near death experience on top of it. I got maybe 800 miles out of this car.

Second car was a 97 Sunfire my dad got off one of his friends for $600. $600 on brakes here, $500 on tires there, random parts to stop various issues later, and finally over $500 into "tuning" the car, it ran really well and I started to really like it all things considered. Then I crashed it. Destroyed one of the headlights and system for it, the front is pushed in too far for the hood to latch in, and the passenger side door doesn't open all the way. It's still semi-driveable, but going faster than 30 makes the hood fly up, and I'd rather not drive it at night with 1 mostly fogged up headlight.

Since then, I've been driving my dad's 94 Civic and a beat up Crown Vic that have a combined 400,000 miles on them. Both break down pretty frequently, and I just want to be done with the poverty level car issues.

SO ON TO THE MAIN POINT OF THE POST

I'm looking at getting a car for myself, that I pick out, that I buy completely with my own money. I'm mainly looking at 4 door midsize sedans like a typical boring person, but I really don't know where to look specifically. I've looked at obvious answers like the Accord/Camry/Altima, but I'm struggling to really figure out which one's supposed to be "better", or which one I can find at a better value. I also wound up driving a 2013 Sonata around December and completely fell in love, but that was in comparison to a 2000 Sebring and 97 Sunfire, and I have no clue what that means in relation to earlier models (I'm not looking into anything that new, as I don't have the money). And from what I can tell from reading various pages in here, the Mazda 6 seems like a relatively favored pick, or at least I feel like it gets mentioned more than the other cars in that kind of class.

I'm probably going to wind up financing through a dealer regardless of what I wind up going with. My main issue more or less comes down to what years and models I should be looking at. I don't know if this is entirely too small of an up front payment to be making, but I want to be looking at around $3000 up front and roughly 10 grand final cost when everything's said and done. From what I'm able to find, this puts me relatively in the 2006-2010 range for years for most of what I've looked at, depending on various factors of course. $10,000's not any kind of cap or anything, just an ideal number I guess.

So, ultimately my question would be what make/model/year combos should I be looking at specifically. Reasons would be nice, but any direction at this point feels like it would help me. I'm still a while off from having the money to seriously make a decision, probably 2-3 months, but I want to get my thoughts in order ahead of time.

EekTheKat

First post in auto-gaf, and oh god do I feel foolish.

Drove 50 miles to pick up a GTR today, was super happy to get it home in one piece. I tried programming the homelink remote and it didn't respond.

Googled it, and it apparently has to do with a transport fuse that the dealer did not install. Homelink doesn't work, car doesn't remember certain settings.

Ringed up the dealer and was told the service department won't open until Monday. I can imagine their boss wasn't too happy about it. lol CSR rep mentioned they might flatbed the entire car back or send someone up here to look at it.

Called back the dealer a moment ago and they have no idea what's going on, but promised a tech would call me on Monday.

Now given this is day 0 of a new car, and I'm not very familiar with cars under the hood, I'm highly reluctant to play with anything fuse related. But from thumbing around various threads it seems like an easy fix.

Outside of that, Godzilla is everything I thought it would be. I had to resist just flooring it on the way home.

Anybody have any ideas on what else to look for? I don't want more unexpected problems to pop up, but have no idea what else to look for. The integrated console seems to work fine, and it can pair/remember my phone.

I think I should be more pissed, but I'm laughing at how absurd this is.

TylerD

I am in Lubbock this weekend and already had success in finding an apartment. Decided to go without house + garage to save some additional money to throw at student loans and a down payment for a place of my own. Another thing that will save me money is the fact that my commute is less than a quarter mile and pretty much everything I need day to day (gym, grocery, etc) within a mile and a half. Bicycle get!

Would have liked a garage but I will have assigned covered parking, a 950sq ft 2nd floor corner unit with my own staircase over looking the pool and sun deck on the lake, enough space in an extra walk in closet for all my car stuff/tools, gas fireplace and stove, washer and dryer, etc, etc... all for $790\month.

I'll need to make a car friend or ask coworkers to let me work on my car at their house but other than that, I am pumped and move in Sep 7th.

edit: aww, i'm below a new GT-R post... Congrats on your new monster!

edit again: AND welcome to autoGAF

EekTheKat

LOL thanks! Congrats on your new place, sounds like a pretty good deal and close to what you were looking for.

Good luck on the 7th, hopefully it'll go exactly as planned.

TylerD

LOL thanks! Congrats on your new place, sounds like a pretty good deal and close to what you were looking for.

Good luck on the 7th, hopefully it'll go exactly as planned.

Thanks, I appreciate it. I was stressing out a bit because I got my offer on Wednesday with a start date of Sep 9th but I am extremely pleased.

Do you have a track edition, black, or premium? We will need pics of course. :D

No Love

Banned
I am in Lubbock this weekend and already had success in finding an apartment. Decided to go without house + garage to save some additional money to throw at student loans and a down payment for a place of my own. Another thing that will save me money is the fact that my commute is less than a quarter mile and pretty much everything I need day to day (gym, grocery, etc) within a mile and a half. Bicycle get!

Would have liked a garage but I will have assigned covered parking, a 950sq ft 2nd floor corner unit with my own staircase over looking the pool and sun deck on the lake, enough space in an extra walk in closet for all my car stuff/tools, gas fireplace and stove, washer and dryer, etc, etc... all for $790\month.

I'll need to make a car friend or ask coworkers to let me work on my car at their house but other than that, I am pumped and move in Sep 7th.

Aw yeah, congrats man! Wish we had that kind of housing pricing over here in CA, hah.

If I ever visit Texas, I will be sure to stop by. I'd be scared as hell to visit though, probably get shot 'cause if I don't shave I get mistaken for a terrorist, fml.

TylerD

Aw yeah, congrats man! Wish we had that kind of housing pricing over here in CA, hah.

If I ever visit Texas, I will be sure to stop by. I'd be scared as hell to visit though, probably get shot 'cause if I don't shave I get mistaken for a terrorist, fml.

What about Hispanic? If you can pass as Hispanic you would be A-OK in Lubbock.

The lease assistant that worked with me was Hispanic\Caucasian mix and fucking cute as hell. Name is Paisley (wearing a little black sun dress with A+ cleavage and great curves in general, with black rimmed glasses, and colorful shoes)... got to love that. Definitely going to find out if she is single after I move in...

Back to autoGAF: Going to get my tint redone in the next week or so at legal limit for Texas (25%) and ceramic for heat reflection. Any recommendations for brands?

No Love

Banned

The lease assistant that worked with me was Hispanic\Caucasian mix and fucking cute as hell. Name is Paisley (wearing a little black sun dress with A+ cleavage and great curves in general, with black rimmed glasses, and colorful shoes)... got to love that. Definitely going to find out if she is single after I move in...

Back to autoGAF: Going to get my tint redone in the next week or so at legal limit for Texas (25%) and ceramic for heat reflection. Any recommendations for brands?

Go 10-15%. 25% is light as hell. Cant recommend a brand but ceramic is definitely worth it.

I can definitely pass for white/Hispanic mix.

And go get dat ass, son!

AlphaSnake

A+ as in...busty? Or A+ as in her cup size was just slightly larger than an A?

This is for research purposes. LOL

Congrats!

TylerD

A+ as in...busty? Or A+ as in her cup size was just slightly larger than an A?

This is for research purposes. LOL

Congrats!

Busty and natural, for sure. She is probably around 5'5'' - 5'6''. Did I mention that my apartment is very close to the lease office? It was only one of 2 units available. The other being an efficiency. (Must be fate) I'll have to show my offer letter as proof of employment when I move in so she will see i'm making that cheddar. Salary boost has come with a nice confidence boost as well!

Kenka

AutoGAF, I am really struggling with a car choice. The reason : I want to get a 1.6 TDi Bluemotion VW Golf which returns 88mpg (or consumes 3.2L/100km of diesel for the mainland Europeans). I have got the choice to either buy a limousine Golf now or wait until God knows when to get me my favourite model, the break:

What's GAF advice ?
  • Should I get the limousine now ?
  • Wait for the break ?
  • Or go for a less efficient break in VW portofolio ?
  • Would advise me to buy a limousine and then exchange it at the garage with a break ?

I really want the most efficient version of the Golf. But the wait might be long.

Okay, sorry for all the questions but you guys seem to know best.

This weekend I went to go look at a Camaro I'm planning on buying within a week or two. The little lever that you release to put the roof down didn't seem to get flush when I tried to put the roof back up.

Here is a video of the lever I'm talking about:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TNhInk4t7Ns&t=1m5s

We took the car back to the dealer(it was in their bigger off-site storage lot) and the salesman is going to have someone look at it.

Depending on whats wrong, should I be asking them to bring the price down a bit or something?

Umm no.

No. If it has over 50, that's a fair amount of mileage on a new car, sure...but it's not uncommon. Cars go for test drives, they'll get some bit of mileage before sold. You can ask the dealer to give you one with the lowest possible mileage, but it may not suit your color, options, etc.

My Jaguar had 6 miles on it. My 370Z had 21.

The Camaro I'm looking at has ~90 miles on it. It was a dealer trade, but the dealer was only ~25 miles away.

EekTheKat

Awesome congratulations and welcome to the club. Another request for photos ;)

LOL sorry guys, the (what I assume) is a fuse problem sort of massively defused my enthusiasm about this thing. Now I'm reluctant to enjoy it until it's addressed.

I think I may have sent the dealer in a panic when I called them back to complain about certain things in the car not working within hours of getting it home LOL. I'm promised a callback by their GTR tech on monday, but I'm planning to certainly push them on this until they address it.

Interesting thing though, none of them knows of this problem. I suspect even their tech may not be aware of it if he allowed the car to be shipped out like this.

It's a simple 5 minute fix according to GTRlife (pop open the fusebox, find missing/broken fuse/replace), but being new to the actual car I'm a bit reluctant to do it myself. From what I understand it's not only the HomeLink system that's down at the moment too.

Mine is a 2014 Premium - in black. Interior is black leather as well Wasn't interested in what the Black Edition or the Track Pack offered, since this is going to be my daily driver (stop me now if that's a bad idea).

Freeway driving/traffic is an interesting experience now, it's a lot more ...competitive... than mere commuting now especially if I draw the attention of certain car owners.

Some things I didn't know about the GTR :

It's a short, but wide car. There's a button toggle to fold both mirrors though which is quite nice.
Trunk is quite large, surprisingly so for a car like this.

Car has a weather warning function, though I suspect it's a side effect of the sirius radio.

Bluetooth streaming audio is quite nice, quality surprisingly decent.

I can't fit in the back seat comfortably. I'd hit my head on the back window if I tried to squeeze in there.

Haven't launched it yet, trying to figure out how to do so without drawing attention of the law around here.

Excuse this last pic - had to edit it because orientation was coming up all funky on imgur. Hopefully it comes up correct now. :

[edit]Removed temporarily so my neighbors don't get involved :p

beast786

LOL sorry guys, the (what I assume) is a fuse problem sort of massively defused my enthusiasm about this thing. Now I'm reluctant to enjoy it until it's addressed.

I think I may have sent the dealer in a panic when I called them back to complain about certain things in the car not working within hours of getting it home LOL. I'm promised a callback by their GTR tech on monday, but I'm planning to certainly push them on this until they address it.

Interesting thing though, none of them knows of this problem. I suspect even their tech may not be aware of it if he allowed the car to be shipped out like this.

It's a simple 5 minute fix according to GTRlife (pop open the fusebox, find missing/broken fuse/replace), but being new to the actual car I'm a bit reluctant to do it myself. From what I understand it's not only the HomeLink system that's down at the moment too.

Mine is a 2014 Premium - in black. Interior is black leather as well Wasn't interested in what the Black Edition or the Track Pack offered, since this is going to be my daily driver (stop me now if that's a bad idea).

Freeway driving/traffic is an interesting experience now, it's a lot more ...competitive... than mere commuting now especially if I draw the attention of certain car owners.

It's a short, but wide car. There's a button toggle to fold both mirrors though which is quite nice.

Car has a weather warning function, though I suspect it's a side effect of the sirius radio.

I can't fit in the back seat comfortably. I'd hit my head on the back window if I tried to squeeze in there.

Haven't launched it yet, trying to figure out how to do so without drawing attention of the law around here.

Excuse this last pic - had to edit it because orientation was coming up all funky on imgur. Hopefully it comes up correct now. :

first congrats. had mine couple of months ago in metallic and same year and model.

You need to break the car in before launch. I would wait about 1K miles
in the manual you have miles and how to break it in including suspension /transmission/clutch etc
keep the RPM low at least first 500 mile below 4K is recommended by the manufacture
you will have a 1K free tune up for alignment for drive train and others
Also, make sure you tight your fuel cap and close the door after tightly. has sensor that give engine malfunction sign. Will make you go crazy to diagnose it.. Lol

I love it,it's a stiff ride in the start but once its broken down it feels awesome. I am in love, especially during summer. it's also my DD driving car.

Again congrats

AlphaSnake

EekTheCat: Where the hell do you live? LOL Your neighbor across the street is balling out harder than you. Hahaha

hwalker84

Jesus a 2014... and I thought I made a good living. LOL!

I put in premium fuel in my car by mistake yesterday. (Usually use 87. A '98 ZX2). The engine seems to perform better. Is there supposed to be a noticeable improvement on such an old car or is it just a placebo?

Just picked up something Mid Engined, Dry Sump, Supercharged and AWD

anyone care to guess what it could be?

R8?

(Or is that not supercharged).

kharma45

AutoGAF, I am really struggling with a car choice. The reason : I want to get a 1.6 TDi Bluemotion VW Golf which returns 88mpg (or consumes 3.2L/100km of diesel for the mainland Europeans). I have got the choice to either buy a limousine Golf now or wait until God knows when to get me my favourite model, the break:

What's GAF advice ?
  • Should I get the limousine now ?
  • Wait for the break ?
  • Or go for a less efficient break in VW portofolio ?
  • Would advise me to buy a limousine and then exchange it at the garage with a break ?

I really want the most efficient version of the Golf. But the wait might be long.

Is there a Skoda Octavia estate with the same engine where you are yet? Would be the same basic car but bigger and cheaper.

EekTheKat

EekTheCat: Where the hell do you live? LOL Your neighbor across the street is balling out harder than you. Hahaha

Yeah my neighbors are a lot more into euro cars than I am :p I'm still definitely in the minor leagues compared to them though. Won't say much more than that :)

I debated posting that pic for a while, but it was legitimately the first pic I took of the car. I had a feeling you guys would pick up on the background :p

But back to the reason I posted :p the car is partially crippled right now due to what I think is a missing fuse - the car is displaying similar symptoms to some of the other owners with the fuse problem. I wanted to get some insight (since I remember beast786 also had one on here) and maybe share in a not so brilliant moment that utterly crushed my enthusiasm for the thing.

I should probably be more angry about it but I'm still kind of laughing at how absurd it is. The car still drives, just that some of the electrics don't seem to be functioning properly, possibly due to a <$0.10 fuse. But that little oversight has me worried that I may be overlooking some other possible issues with the car however.

You need to break the car in before launch. I would wait about 1K miles
in the manual you have miles and how to break it in including suspension /transmission/clutch etc
keep the RPM low at least first 500 mile below 4K is recommended by the manufacture
you will have a 1K free tune up for alignment for drive train and others
Also, make sure you tight your fuel cap and close the door after tightly. has sensor that give engine malfunction sign. Will make you go crazy to diagnose it.. Lol

Thanks! And yeah I've been pretty light on the throttle so far, it's interesting how the dealer never mentioned a proper break in even when I asked him about it.

They've also taken the time to say quite a lot of opposite of what owners have been saying about their cars, which I found a bit odd. But the sight of them frantically flipping through a manual to look for an answer to a question I asked should have told me everything.

I've actually bumped into the gas door problem in another Nissan before, it sounds like it's the same case here (where after tightening it you'll have to drive it for a few miles for the light to deactivate) and a very active tire pressure sensor that went off quite a few times.

Grats on Godzilla, Eek, and whatever other car related purchases I missed in the last week.

In other commentary, Auto Show season is right around the corner :D

hwalker84

Guys I'm in the mood to try something new. One of my cars (my baby) is a 2009 Challenger R/T with 25,000 miles on it (bought brand new). The refresh slipped till next year and I'm thinking of getting a new car between now and the refresh. I'm looking at a BRZ Limited. Gaf am I crazy? I was thinking after trade in and throwing some money down my payment would be less than $150. I also haven't had a car payment since Jan 2011.

edit: and I want to get some time on a manual. Never owned one.

Guys I'm in the mood to try something new. One of my cars (my baby) is a 2009 Challenger R/T with 25,000 miles on it (bought brand new). The refresh slipped till next year and I'm thinking of getting a new car between now and the refresh. I'm looking at a BRZ Limited. Gaf am I crazy? I was thinking after trade in and throwing some money down my payment would be less than $150. I also haven't had a car payment since Jan 2011.

edit: and I want to get some time on a manual. Never owned one.

For around that money, new and from a dealership, I'm 95% sure I'd go with a 370z now that they dropped the price.

Honestly though, if you're waiting for the Challenger refresh, why don't you just hold off? Not having car payments is nice (part of that club), and it won't be much longer at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom