• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Automotive Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

No Love

Banned
Spoke to State Farm earlier and they informed me that I would have to pay the deductible and if they collect money from the shop I have the possibility of getting the deductible reimbursed. Ugh

Do it. Ask for a check for brand new OEM wheels. They probably cost like $800-1000 EACH from the dealer. Then, take your check, go buy some used wheels for cheap, and pocket the rest.

Laugh at the shop as they get pwned.

Ty4on

TY for input!

This is actually for my old man. I just blew all my money on 5 acres, a 120' round pen, 3 pastures, and a truck. And I don't even ride horses. The things we do for love.

They want an SUV as it's primarily for commuting from western Washington to their condo in Hailey, ID (Sun Valley). Some pretty nasty passes in the winter, and there needs to be enough room for lots of stuff as well as their dog.

Having it fun to drive is the bonus.

I've never driven a car with more than like 130hp, so I have no idea what either drive like...

The only non SUV that could fit would be the Mercedes E350 Wagon with standard 4WD. The Range Rover Sport has a really big boot though with the second row up and it look a lot more expensive inside out. Shame about their head unit looking five years old (have no idea why no other reviewer shows it, but I'm pretty certain the RRS didn't change much).

I always spout out European sensibility when it comes to cars, but when I look at cars I want they're always coupes/sedans with no space in the back and poor gas (not diesel) mileage so I do sort of understand you. I could get a sensible hatchback, but I'd much rather save and get something that just feels a bit special.

N-Bomb

Switch to E85. Best move you can make if it's available near you. You're using the JDM 2.0 motor, right? Much better motor than the 2.5. E85 will give you a HUGE boost in low/mid-range torque and even FASTER spool. I spool up about 200-300~ RPM faster on E85 than I do on 91. You will need bigger injectors + Walbro 255 for E85 usage.

It's so, so worth it. Even off-boost you make more torque and it feels peppier on E85. Who is your tuner right now, and how are you tuning? Cobb Accessport?

I would do 93/94, but not E85 - mostly because I have no idea where to get it. Even 93 is not common, but I can keep a bottle of octane boost for emergencies.

Yup, 2.0 twinscroll. I've only got the 'stock' Ecutek tune my shop gave me after the swap. The place I'm going to take it to does OpenECU (I think that was it?) and Ecutek. I don't want to screw with the ECU and maps myself at this point. Wish I had a lift so I could do more wrenching myself, but I'm limited to somewhat simple things atm.

Switch to E85. Best move you can make if it's available near you. You're using the JDM 2.0 motor, right? Much better motor than the 2.5. E85 will give you a HUGE boost in low/mid-range torque and even FASTER spool. I spool up about 200-300~ RPM faster on E85 than I do on 91. You will need bigger injectors + Walbro 255 for E85 usage.

It's so, so worth it. Even off-boost you make more torque and it feels peppier on E85. Who is your tuner right now, and how are you tuning? Cobb Accessport?

white kind of mileage do you get going E83?

No Love

Banned
I would do 93/94, but not E85 - mostly because I have no idea where to get it. Even 93 is not common, but I can keep a bottle of octane boost for emergencies.

Yup, 2.0 twinscroll. I've only got the 'stock' Ecutek tune my shop gave me after the swap. The place I'm going to take it to does OpenECU (I think that was it?) and Ecutek. I don't want to screw with the ECU and maps myself at this point. Wish I had a lift so I could do more wrenching myself, but I'm limited to somewhat simple things atm.

OpenECU > ECUtek as far as I know. That stock, over the shelf tune is junky, you'll be a lot happier using a custom one. See if you can find a station with E85 nearby. If there is one, your dreams will come true. 93/94 is far superior to 91, so if you can stay on that, it's what I'd recommend, it makes a big difference.

Luckily these cars are easy to work on so you don't need a lift, but I hear you. Having a lift at home would make many things 10-20x easier. I'd like a lift in my garage one day when I buy a house.

white kind of mileage do you get going E83?

About a 25-30% reduction versus pump gas. I average 15-19 mpg combined on E85, and 20-24 mpg combined on 91. E85 is about $3.30 a gallon... and apparently 91 has dropped a shit-ton, because I just searched online and it's only $3.80 a gallon where I live? Jeez. That might force E85 down to the $2.80-3.00/gallon range. :)

Edit: Looks like E85 is down to $3.05/gallon in San Diego. Let me go to the E85 station in Torrance and see how much it is. Whoo hoo!

Also, it's totally worth it. I make 100+ whp more on E85 than I do on 91!

So my 500 dollar Disco 2 has popped a headgasket.

At least its OHV and should be easy as shit to do.

I still love Land/Range Rovers. I don't care about the terrible mileage and reliability.

Also im up to 7 cars, I really need to sell something.

No Love

Banned
Ok so... as of the last revision of my tune, I'm at about 470-480 whp. Turbo is totally maxed out with my current setup, would need bigger cams/upgraded manifolds/etc to push it over 500. :( Going from 32-33 psi up to 35-37 psi only gives like 10~ whp gains, so 32-33 range appears to be the sweet spot. The turbo just spools way too fast and makes too much torque, so the low end and midrange have to be detuned.

If I had a built block (I'm keeping it below 400 wtq to keep it safe), It'd probably run out to about 460-500 wheel torque if left unchecked.

Once it's tweaked a bit more and finalized, I'll post a graph and in-car video of how it pulls from a 10 mph roll up to 100-120 mph. From 20 mph up to 100 mph takes like... 5-6 seconds. Pretty insane. And 0-60 in under 3 seconds feels insane. I'd think this car would be trapping about 128-130 mph in the 1/4 mile with this level of power, gearing, and weighing at 3000 lbs.

mkenyon

Banned
I've never driven a car with more than like 130hp, so I have no idea what either drive like...

The only non SUV that could fit would be the Mercedes E350 Wagon with standard 4WD. The Range Rover Sport has a really big boot though with the second row up and it look a lot more expensive inside out. Shame about their head unit looking five years old (have no idea why no other reviewer shows it, but I'm pretty certain the RRS didn't change much).

I always spout out European sensibility when it comes to cars, but when I look at cars I want they're always coupes/sedans with no space in the back and poor gas (not diesel) mileage so I do sort of understand you. I could get a sensible hatchback, but I'd much rather save and get something that just feels a bit special.
I'm the same way.

I really dislike Trucks/SUVs. My daily driver is a Forrester, and that's about as big as I'd go personally. My end goal of "I've arrived, this is my car" would probably be a 3 Series Wagon.

21580098.jpg

Something about it.

No Love

Banned
EVO has done a bit of a comparison between the 991 GT3, mp4-12c and GTR. The GT3 is truly impressive.

As expected. Porsche is always on top of their game. Except for the 996, that thing was just hideous... still performed well though.

Oh yeah, reminds me of this Porsche uber-douche I encountered in traffic everyday. Dude was probably like 30, driving a 996 Porsche with HIDEOUS beige paint and a dark brownish soft top (yup, it was a base model vert.) What an ugly POS, and what a dumbass driver. Constantly switching lanes with no turn signals ever used, tailgating like a jackass, just being a pathetic douche in a Porsche.

Oh how I wanted to brakecheck him into infinity.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Florida-GAF: If you're looking for a new car and want the absolute rockbottom price without a haggle, contact my buddy. He just started an Auto Leasing and Financing company.

He will absolutely get you the best rates humanly possible from a dealership, especially on leases where you will not be required to put a penny down and still get an incredible deal. He's partnered with a lot of dealers in Florida and negotiates the deals for you. Feel free to PM me and I'll send over the info.

TylerD

New gig, or relocation?

Congrats either way! I'm about to accept a new job in downtown OKC myself.

New gig. TylerD is becoming a network engineer. I'll be shadowing the guy that is transitioning into a customer management role and will get to learn what I need to on the fly.

AND a 35% salary bump :D

Smokey

New gig. TylerD is becoming a network engineer. I'll be shadowing the guy that is transitioning into a customer management role and will get to learn what I need to on the fly.

Network engineering is hot right now. Being in IT myself , I've thought about going for it but I'm pretty content with what I'm doing now. That's a niceee raise though.

No Love

Banned

Good job mang. I too am in IT and network engineers do make good money. You'll be one happy little fucker. It's too bad it's Texas instead of CA, we could've been neighbor-bros!

TylerD

I might look at early 2000's Proteges as a DD. That, and a bicycle. There is something very liberating about driving a car you don't really care about as I was with my roommate's Protege when mine was getting the body work done. Just park wherever the fuck you want. Feels good man.

Malvolio

Need some advice. Quickly scanned the thread and didn't see any discussion recently, but I bought a new car this week and I want to get a good wax job on it. Not looking to break the bank as it's not an expensive car, but I am willing to do the work myself. Any recommendations on a decent wax?

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Need some advice. Quickly scanned the thread and didn't see any discussion recently, but I bought a new car this week and I want to get a good wax job on it. Not looking to break the bank as it's not an expensive car, but I am willing to do the work myself. Any recommendations on a decent wax?

Don't wax a brand new car.

No Love

Banned
Awesome, extremely fast. Good job! What car do you own out of interest?

Evo 8. Debating on whether to keep it as is and finish it as a time attack car or say fuck it, drop in a built stroker motor with more mods and a bigger turbo like an FP Black and go for 700 whp 600 wtq and make it one of those drag Evos to kill modded GTRs and E85 ZR1's LOL. Wish I had two Evos so I could build them each two different ways.

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
What an amazing drive.

Drive from Sudbury to Manitoulin. Nice and winding roads. Had to pull some safety avoidance techs to miss 5 racoons, 2 skunks and a deer. Can't wait to get a FRS or Mazda 3. Really surprised how much my Vitz oversteered in such incidents. Can't believe that I really do need to get that rear TRD Sway Bar.

Lol. Yes I drive a Yaris and I love it.

CANNOT WAIT FOR A Mazda 3.

Malvolio

i heard it. something about the paint curing? i waited a year before i did mine.

My car is a 2013. I figure it's been on the lot for almost a year. Might just do it anyway. Not sure I can handle driving it though a Chicago winter without getting something over that paint.

What an amazing drive.

Drive from Sudbury to Manitoulin. Nice and winding roads. Had to pull some safety avoidance techs to miss 5 racoons, 2 skunks and a deer. Can't wait to get a FRS or Mazda 3. Really surprised how much my Vitz oversteered in such incidents. Can't believe that I really do need to get that rear TRD Sway Bar.

Lol. Yes I drive a Yaris and I love it.

CANNOT WAIT FOR A Mazda 3.

choosing between fr-s and 3?

o_O

really different beasts.

Word has it that a certain mag tested the new 911 against the new C7 at Laguna Seca with a professional racing driver at the helm. The 911 got destroyed. Article should be out in a month or so.

No Love

Banned
Word has it that a certain mag tested the new 911 against the new C7 at Laguna Seca with a professional racing driver at the helm. The 911 got destroyed. Article should be out in a month or so.

Not surprised at all. C7 is going to be making a lot of cars 2-4x the price cry.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Sooo...Novus plastic polish. The stuff is a miracle worker.

The instrument cluster plastic in my 5 series was clouded in spots as a result of cleaner mis-use by a previous owner. I received the Novus polish and use polish 1 & 2. The result? The plastic looks brand new. I cannot believe how good of a job it did. It was the one little thing about the car that annoyed me and it has been eliminated.

OK, well, that's one of two things. The car is black and, man, I've never applied wax myself but the car could use it. Any suggestions for a first time attempt?

El_Chino

So they made the 458 uglier at the cost of more power and better aerodynamics.

The 458 Speciale

605 bhp

200 lbs. lighter.

0-60 MPH in 3 sec.

542229_10151825741851970_872586395_n.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom