• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Automotive Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

No Love

Banned
I'm too much of a wimp to delete the AC from any of my project cars (over the years). Even though it's not my daily, it HAS to have nice ice cold AC.

I have friends who have deleted their AC, drive gutted cars on the street, and I wonder how they do it...

It fucking sucks. Previous owner of my car did it but gave me all the parts except for condenser + condenser fan. I just need to get those two things, hook everything up, and charge the system. Don't have the time though...

And driving a gutted car is so pointless and noisy. It just screams 'I'm a tryhard, look at me!' Gut your car when you go to the track and put it all back, jeez. Removing seats is easy, but why bother taking off door panels etc? It's just fucking annoying, like driving a tin can around. I know this other Evo owner... dude is 35 years old, drives his gutted Evo with racing harnesses on his seats (lol), lies about how much power his car has, lives at home with his mom, and goes to car meets to hang out with 20-25 year olds while trying to pick up on 20 year old girls. What a loser.

Best part is... dude does all this, and drives on no-name brand cheap-ass tires and the car handles like absolute poo, no grip at all. Do all this bullshit to your car and put on swap meet tires... what a ricer. :|

N-Bomb

It fucking sucks. Previous owner of my car did it but gave me all the parts except for condenser + condenser fan. I just need to get those two things, hook everything up, and charge the system. Don't have the time though...

And driving a gutted car is so pointless and noisy. It just screams 'I'm a tryhard, look at me!' Gut your car when you go to the track and put it all back, jeez. Removing seats is easy, but why bother taking off door panels etc? It's just fucking annoying, like driving a tin can around. I know this other Evo owner... dude is 35 years old, drives his gutted Evo with racing harnesses on his seats (lol), lies about how much power his car has, lives at home with his mom, and goes to car meets to hang out with 20-25 year olds while trying to pick up on 20 year old girls. What a loser.

Best part is... dude does all this, and drives on no-name brand cheap-ass tires and the car handles like absolute poo, no grip at all. Do all this bullshit to your car and put on swap meet tires... what a ricer. :|

Does he GET any of those girls? That's the true test!

I considered deleting the AC, but come on... it gets goddam humid up here. I don't want to show up to meetings or work with pit stains.

That said, I'm not going to pack on the pounds just to make it cushier - although I need to put some work into sound deadening. I'll offset that with lightening mods that won't affect day to day operation or make me need to Dukes of Hazzard into the windows.

No Love

Banned
Does he GET any of those girls? That's the true test!

I considered deleting the AC, but come on... it gets goddam humid up here. I don't want to show up to meetings or work with pit stains.

That said, I'm not going to pack on the pounds just to make it cushier - although I need to put some work into sound deadening. I'll offset that with lightening mods that won't affect day to day operation or make me need to Dukes of Hazzard into the windows.

Nope, lol, girls friendzone him faster than Charlie Brown.

Also, god damn... getting onto the freeway on a big onramp, I just beat a 600cc motorcycle to 100 mph. Pulled a car or two on him at least. He was shocked as hell. He did NOT expect that.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
this-is-beautiful.gif

Please be one of the GT6 Vision models. Please. Please please please.

I'm confused. Is this a personal artists' rendering...or is this commissioned by Aston Martin? I haven't been able to figure it out, especially since the guy is from Azerbaijan.

I'm confused. Is this a personal artists' rendering...or is this commissioned by Aston Martin? I haven't been able to figure it out, especially since the guy is from Azerbaijan.

Ah, damn it. Doesn't look like he has any official ties to AM. According to his website's resume he did/does work for Lamborghini though.

I made damn sure that my next project car had AC and a fully functioning interior. If I wanted a track car, I'd build a full on track car (and trailer it there for some fun).

I'm looking to keep all the comforts I love, while making it quick and handle well.

AlphaSnake

I don't see Camaro at all.

It looks like the Audi Quattro concept more than anything.

ascii42

Looking at the other pictures, I think it's really just the angle of the main picture for the article. I guess it's mostly in the shape of the "hips" and the flatish front end.

Amusingly, one of the autoblog comments said they saw Camaro in the interior, which I don't see.

N-Bomb

I don't see Quattro. I see some Camaro in the flat slabness of the profile, some Mustang in the stance and front end, and some weird Cadillac shit going on with the rear end.

I wouldn't call it stunning, although it's not ugly either. Will have to see something closer to production.

lem0n

After a year or so of lurking, I'm finally able to post.

I'm a huge gearhead and daily an E30. My favorite cars include the Morgan Aeromax, Isdera Commendatore 112i, and the new McLaren P1.

That's all for now, I'll jump in a conversation when I am not half asleep.

After researching coilovers for a while, I finally decided to splurge and buy a set from HKS. I found a mint set on Up Garage (Japan) and I scooped them up, and saved about $700 in the process...

N-Bomb

After researching coilovers for a while, I finally decided to splurge and buy a set from HKS. I found a mint set on Up Garage (Japan) and I scooped them up, and saved about $700 in the process...

Aren't those really gonna affect your ride? I'm not convinced they're really useful unless you're doing crazy things w/ wheel widths or tracking a car.

In other news, I'm really kind of fancying the Red Tails Mustang that came out earlier this year. I kind of want to get my car done up like that. Am I really weird for thinking it looks pretty cool?

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Aren't those really gonna affect your ride? I'm not convinced they're really useful unless you're doing crazy things w/ wheel widths or tracking a car.

In other news, I'm really kind of fancying the Red Tails Mustang that came out earlier this year. I kind of want to get my car done up like that. Am I really weird for thinking it looks pretty cool?

Yes because the car weighs over 3000lbs.

Really? I've always changed the suspension in my project cars. And I found it always made a difference (track or normal driving). That being said, I've already bought other suspension arms bits as well.

Chamai

Banned
EekTheKat, congrats on the GTR

Question to GAF, anyone have any experience with the cadillac CTS-V? I am considering the next gen CTS-V for my next family car. I just want to know how realiable they are compared to other high powered cars like AMG's and M's.I am not liking all the new fancy electronics on the new german cars. there are way many things going on while i am driving. i just want something simple, raw, powerful. i test drove the 5 series the other day, and i can hear the car constantly adjust itself. went to try out the new e 350 wagon and the interior feels kinda cheap. for the same price of a e350 wagon, i could get a CTS-V, that is why i am considering to buy this car.

on the side note, got new tires for my cls and a few mods coming for my frs. wife is not happy about the frs mods.

No Love

Banned

Shoulda bought KW's, Bilsteins, Konis etc. HKS coilovers are not really that great. Sell them for a profit if you can.

N-Bomb

Yes because the car weighs over 3000lbs.

Don't even know what you're getting at here, but don't be dumb.

Really? I've always changed the suspension in my project cars. And I found it always made a difference (track or normal driving). That being said, I've already bought other suspension arms bits as well.

Well I mean... what do coilovers really get you over a set of good adjustable shocks? I think you can go lower with them, and I know some Scooby people will put them on so they can clear extra wide wheels, but I've not heard them actually benefiting a road car's ride and if you're not tracking it, what are you really doing that you need to pull 1G+ on an offramp or whatever? :\

I'm not trying to bitch at you, just trying to understand the goals here, since in my experience it's kind of counterproductive...

Edit: Yeah, I can see doing it for track, but again you'd have a different setup there than for street, and personally, I'd be annoyed to have to change things up all the time...

No Love

Banned
Don't even know what you're getting at here, but don't be dumb.

Well I mean... what do coilovers really get you over a set of good adjustable shocks? I think you can go lower with them, and I know some Scooby people will put them on so they can clear extra wide wheels, but I've not heard them actually benefiting a road car's ride and if you're not tracking it, what are you really doing that you need to pull 1G+ on an offramp or whatever? :\

I'm not trying to bitch at you, just trying to understand the goals here, since in my experience it's kind of counterproductive...

Edit: Yeah, I can see doing it for track, but again you'd have a different setup there than for street, and personally, I'd be annoyed to have to change things up all the time...

The problem with suspension like HKS is that 1. they use cheap Chinese-made dampers and 2. spring rates suck. In addition the 'adjustments' done to the dampers are so way off in their precision that trying to adjust bump/rebound is a hassle, not to mention ineffective.

Japanese coilovers are usually made in China/Taiwan, and the dampening is poor, especially when you consider the fact that they're very oversprung. Combine poorly designed dampers with super stiff springs and you get crappy ride quality and bad handling.

I've found in my testing and research that European made suspension is superior 99% of the time. Bilstein, KW, Koni, Moton, Ohlins, JRZ etc make the best aftermarket suspensions, period. Penske is the best U.S. originated suspension maker, competing with Moton and JRZ for the high end market.

I usually suggest Bilsteins or Konis shocks with high quality, well engineered springs like Swifts that have spring rates appropriate for the specific chassis for budget minded setups. They almost always outperform OEM, ride much smoother, and are very reliable.

After a year or so of lurking, I'm finally able to post.

I'm a huge gearhead and daily an E30. My favorite cars include the Morgan Aeromax, Isdera Commendatore 112i, and the new McLaren P1.

That's all for now, I'll jump in a conversation when I am not half asleep.

Welcome to our very tiny corner of GAF.

I love the E30, and I'm not a big fan of very many older cars.

N-Bomb

I usually suggest Bilsteins or Konis shocks with high quality, well engineered springs like Swifts that have spring rates appropriate for the specific chassis for budget minded setups. They almost always outperform OEM, ride much smoother, and are very reliable.

Yeah, I'm definitely eyeing a set of Koni yellows when they go on sale next year. Not sure what I'll do for springs, but I won't want to lower. I assume they'll work with stock springs, anyway...

No Love

Banned
Yeah, I'm definitely eyeing a set of Koni yellows when they go on sale next year. Not sure what I'll do for springs, but I won't want to lower. I assume they'll work with stock springs, anyway...

They work great with stock springs, much better than the stock shocks ever did.

I have been looking at some Eibach springs (pro kit) for my GC Impreza (tire rack has them for $225), as well as some KYB AGX shocks, seems like they would be a good combination.
I also have to go in there and replace a bunch of bushings, maybe splurge on an sway bars or Aluminum Control arms. something really isnt riding right and I have been ignoring it for too long.

anyone got any suggestions?

Oh it's not a problem. This car is not my daily so I can set it up for track duty, get an alignment, and away I go. Is driving a lowered more track spec car on the roads a bit harsh? Somewhat depending on the damper settings. It won't rattle your fillings out, but you'll feel those dips in the road.

I still need to pick up a new aftermarket rear lower control arms, but I've already purchased aftermarket tension, traction, toe rods. I also bought a new rear upper control arms to dial in the camber.

I just like dialing in the suspension geometry...

The problem with suspension like HKS is that 1. they use cheap Chinese-made dampers and 2. spring rates suck. In addition the 'adjustments' done to the dampers are so way off in their precision that trying to adjust bump/rebound is a hassle, not to mention ineffective.

Japanese coilovers are usually made in China/Taiwan, and the dampening is poor, especially when you consider the fact that they're very oversprung. Combine poorly designed dampers with super stiff springs and you get crappy ride quality and bad handling.

I've found in my testing and research that European made suspension is superior 99% of the time. Bilstein, KW, Koni, Moton, Ohlins, JRZ etc make the best aftermarket suspensions, period. Penske is the best U.S. originated suspension maker, competing with Moton and JRZ for the high end market.

Yes, there's Japanese companies that also have factories in Taiwan. I can name off a few off the top of my head. That being said, these are not their entry level coilovers (like their hypermax series), and they are still manufactured IN Japan. I'm not buying entry level coilovers like Stance, BC, Megan, or whatever cheap stuff is out there. You can't bunch them ALL under one umbrella. Companies are catering to a cheaper crowd these days, that want to slam their cars using one way coilovers on the cheap (see $1000 or less). That being said, there's still a lot of Japanese companies who manufacture in house in Japan.

I'm not that big into Evo/STI (I like them, but I never owned one, though I have friends who do). I can only speak on the S-chassis as that's what I've been into for a while now.

As for the spring rates, If I don't find the springs stiff enough, I can always switch them out for some Swifts. 9/7 or 10/8 seems to be the norm for S15's till you get to more hardcore track only cars. I wouldn't go higher anytime soon and I'd have to revalve the dampeners for higher spring rates.

Reading various reviews (some including shock dynos of various banded models), and getting ride alongs on the track, I narrowed my choices to a few, and ended up with the HKS model. It was always on my short list, but I spent a mint buying TE37's. I didn't want to dish out $2500 after spending so much on buying 6 TE37's. I ended up finding a open box demo online by chance (I need to stay off of YAJ and Up Garage). Even after shipping from Japan, I saved over $500.

The brands you've mentioned are popular with the AWD folk. Some are way beyond what I'd need (Like Moton, Ohlins or JRZ).

Its rather nice to have an actual discussion ^_^

Fast lap at ThunderHill (northern California) from yesterday. Shitty day for traffic. That's the cleanest lap I had all day. Best sector times would give me a 1:57.20. Will be back out at the end of the month but with used tires. With a clean track, I'm sure I can still get some high 58's though. We'll see. Car is a stock 2011 Z06.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DX-8P-JYSEo

N-Bomb

They work great with stock springs, much better than the stock shocks ever did.

Oh it's not a problem. This car is not my daily so I can set it up for track duty, get an alignment, and away I go. Is driving a lowered more track spec car on the roads a bit harsh? Somewhat depending on the damper settings. It won't rattle your fillings out, but you'll feel those dips in the road.

I still need to pick up a new aftermarket rear lower control arms, but I've already purchased aftermarket tension, traction, toe rods. I also bought a new rear upper control arms to dial in the camber.

I just like dialing in the suspension geometry...

As for the spring rates, If I don't find the springs stiff enough, I can always switch them out for some Swifts. 9/7 or 10/8 seems to be the norm for S15's till you get to more hardcore track only cars. I wouldn't go higher anytime soon and I'd have to revalve the dampeners for higher spring rates.

Reading various reviews (some including shock dynos of various banded models), and getting ride alongs on the track, I narrowed my choices to a few, and ended up with the HKS model. It was always on my short list, but I spent a mint buying TE37's. I didn't want to dish out $2500 after spending so much on buying 6 TE37's. I ended up finding a open box demo online by chance (I need to stay off of YAJ and Up Garage). Even after shipping from Japan, I saved over $500.

The brands you've mentioned are popular with the AWD folk. Some are way beyond what I'd need (Like Moton, Ohlins or JRZ).

Its rather nice to have an actual discussion ^_^

My plans right now are power, paint, interior in that order. Next year going for suspension and I'm probably done for a while.

The goal for my suspension is to dial out some of the understeer that these things have. Part of that is reducing some of the weight up front to shift the distribution rearward, and probably doing a skinnier sway bar up front to give that end more grip. And the Konis to just get out some stock-slop. Might look into some other misc parts of the suspension, but I really don't want to go with harder bushings or anything that's gonna make it noisier or less pleasant inside.

@Mattlikewhoa - you're not talking about your S15, right? What is all this going on?

TylerD

Fast lap at ThunderHill (northern California) from yesterday. Shitty day for traffic. That's the cleanest lap I had all day. Best sector times would give me a 1:57.20. Will be back out at the end of the month but with used tires. With a clean track, I'm sure I can still get some high 58's though. We'll see. Car is a stock 2011 Z06.

So, your car is fast... NLFFWD (Noloveforfailwheeldrive) you need to get one of those!

edit: Any Autogaf opinions on Seafoam? I have a bottle and am going to be changing my Lubro Moly oil in the next hundred miles. If I don't use the Seafoam, I will be doing BG fuel system treatment.

AlphaSnake

Great run.

Was that an R34 at the end of the lap? :)

TylerD

Not sure but it was lap traffic that ruined those 2 corners and the exit onto the front straight...

I rode with a coworker recently with a C6 and upgraded cams. Has a real nice lope and what seemed like worlds of power. Couldn't imagine a Z06.

Going to have to pick up a ESS stage 2 supercharger and LSD.

cube444

As for coils, first thing I did suspension wise was add KW V3s to my car. I had ordered the V2s but they messed up my order and instead gave me V3s at the same price. Totally transformed the car. After that came the M3 bits, camber plates, toe arms, strut brace kit, etc.

Fuck I'd say easily $6000-7000 on the suspension alone.

I'm done until next spring. LSD.

hobz360

Hello automotive-gaf, here is my 320i my first BMW. :)

9640905948_5a828bd9b5_c.jpg

9637668161_7ca54e0a94_c.jpg

9640902566_6bba136e0a_c.jpg

9640900578_0692a6f3a7_c.jpg

9637663239_0e95bdf69e_c.jpg

9640895506_2139d1ed1a_c.jpg

9637655703_35b44e9d83_c.jpg

9640888464_91ddf5beb0_c.jpg

9640890214_abe9f99c68_c.jpg

9637650319_8ac75d9f4a_c.jpg

9637648841_e71e9770e1_c.jpg

In terms of performance, I won't be doing any mods probably for at least a year. First sets of mods will probably be the black kidney grilles, black rear spoiler, a window tint, and black wheels/tires.

TylerD

Hello automotive-gaf, here is my 320i my first BMW. :)

In terms of performance, I won't be doing any mods probably for at least a year. First sets of mods will probably be the black kidney grilles, black rear spoiler, a window tint, and black wheels/tires.

Very nice. What are the options on that one? Pretty sure that you just have a detuned 328 engine so there are probably going to be some nice options to boost power on that thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom