• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Automotive Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

No Love

Banned
God this headgasket on this disco sucks. I have to fucking take out the steering column to take out my Drivers side exhaust mani.

Also I need to put a new clutch in my Evo. Any recommendations?

I use an ACT XTSS for my Evo... has almost 90k miles on it and still not slipping, even at 470 whp/380 wtq. lol

No Love

Banned
Also, sad news: pretty much 90% sure I'll be selling my Evo in a week and a half to a close friend of mine. :\ He is going to take it down to 2800~ lbs and put like a 6466 on it and take it up to around 700 whp, so it'll be more of a drag car than a track car.

It's not like I want to, but I'm going to use the money to go even crazier with my investing. Probably gonna quit my job in 2-3 weeks too. At this point I make more in some weeks working the stock market than I do in a month at my job, lol. :/

I will definitely be buying another Evo sooner rather than later. My friend has a really clean, awesomely modded Evo 9 that I helped build/tune, so I'll probably get that from him in a few months.

Next up: C6 Z06 and maybe an E39 M5 to go along with it. I really love the E39 M5 and it'd make a great alternative 'comfortable' daily driver to go along with my Z06. Also, my GF is selling her Civic and buying her IS-F really soon so I'll get to daily that once in a while too when she feels like driving one of my manual transmission cars. :eek:

I hear the Comp Stage 2 is awesome. I'd go with that if it's cheaper.

Edit: I'm a member finally!

Congrats!

Next up: C6 Z06 and maybe an E39 M5 to go along with it. I really love the E39 M5 and it'd make a great alternative 'comfortable' daily driver to go along with my Z06. Also, my GF is selling her Civic and buying her IS-F really soon so I'll get to daily that once in a while too when she feels like driving one of my manual transmission cars. :eek:

I really want to get a Z06 in a couple of months. I am going to advise against the E39 M5. They look awesome but are such an insane maintenance nightmare.

No Love

Banned
Congrats!

I really want to get a Z06 in a couple of months. I am going to advise against the E39 M5. They look awesome but are such an insane maintenance nightmare.

You know I have been asking around and opinions are divided. Obviously some M fanboys say its no big deal, budget 2-3k/yr for maintenance, etc. Others say it sucks.

Can you give me some more info on what youve seen being the biggest downfalls and hidden costs? I know if the VANOS goes out its like 4k to fix. I am good friends with the guys at Castro Motorsports, they are IMO the best BMW shop in Socal and do amazing work. They did all of Frank Ocean's M3s for example. All 6 of them lol. One is an E30 with S54 supercharged. Total monster. So they could help me out with a lot of the stuff I might encounter. But... I dont really want a money pit. Then again, I can get an uber clean m5 for $16-17k with 50k miles.

If I skip over that I will just get the Z06 and save up for a GTR or CTS V 6 speed wagon.

You know I have been asking around and opinions are divided. Obviously some M fanboys say its no big deal, budget 2-3k/yr for maintenance, etc. Others say it sucks.

Can you give me some more info on what youve seen being the biggest downfalls and hidden costs? I know if the VANOS goes out its like 4k to fix. I am good friends with the guys at Castro Motorsports, they are IMO the best BMW shop in Socal and do amazing work. They did all of Frank Ocean's M3s for example. All 6 of them lol. One is an E30 with S54 supercharged. Total monster. So they could help me out with a lot of the stuff I might encounter. But... I dont really want a money pit. Then again, I can get an uber clean m5 for $16-17k with 50k miles.

If I skip over that I will just get the Z06 and save up for a GTR or CTS V 6 speed wagon.

Id consider myself a rather large M fanboy and ill tell you the cars are money pits. Yes the Vanos loves to go out with no prior warning, and last I checked there was no permanent upgrade to fix the problem. The S62 loves to eat oil, and its picky, it needs that Castrol TWS shit which is like 11dollars a quart, ive seen M5s with 50k miles eating quarts every thousand miles, not a huge cost, but it adds up. oh and the valves like to get carbon buildup, and they have weak rod bearings like the S54s do.

Suspension wise because the car is so heavy it eats through ball joints. My buddy has done his every 35-40k miles on his, and its not cheap since you cant replace just the balljoint and its something like 300 bucks per control arm.

Last did we did brakes on his car it ended up costing around 400 bucks in parts just to do the front.

Its just not worth the extra headache over the 540i/6.

coldfoot

Banned

The best thing to do with an E39 M5 is to drop an LS-x V8 in it. But in that case, don't waste your money on an M5, just get a 530i and do that.

coldfoot

Banned
Blasphemous.
I don't see why anyone would overpay for performance and get the Euro brand engines when the small block V8 is a monster. The only reason would be to get an amazing 8500-9000 rpm redline because it's so cool. Since the E39 M5 engine is neither, I wouldn't want it.

No Love

Banned
Id consider myself a rather large M fanboy and ill tell you the cars are money pits. Yes the Vanos loves to go out with no prior warning, and last I checked there was no permanent upgrade to fix the problem. The S62 loves to eat oil, and its picky, it needs that Castrol TWS shit which is like 11dollars a quart, ive seen M5s with 50k miles eating quarts every thousand miles, not a huge cost, but it adds up. oh and the valves like to get carbon buildup, and they have weak rod bearings like the S54s do.

Suspension wise because the car is so heavy it eats through ball joints. My buddy has done his every 35-40k miles on his, and its not cheap since you cant replace just the balljoint and its something like 300 bucks per control arm.

Last did we did brakes on his car it ended up costing around 400 bucks in parts just to do the front.

Its just not worth the extra headache over the 540i/6.

Damn... that's just nasty. I hate cars that always have something going wrong on them.

I guess I'll just get the Z06 and maybe a cheap 540i/6 that's in good condition, or just mod my E34. I love the E34, it just needs TLC.

The best thing to do with an E39 M5 is to drop an LS-x V8 in it. But in that case, don't waste your money on an M5, just get a 530i and do that.

I totally would but at that point of buying a clean 530i, swapping all the shit, I'd be at like 30k+ and might as well buy a nice '09 CTS-V for $40k.

Hello automotive-gaf, here is my 320i my first BMW. :)

In terms of performance, I won't be doing any mods probably for at least a year. First sets of mods will probably be the black kidney grilles, black rear spoiler, a window tint, and black wheels/tires.

How do you like it so far?

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
All BMWs are shitbins after 50K.

After I sold my 335i the guy who bought it from me had something go wrong with every month. Last week the water pump totally gave out, leaving the car inoperable at only 74K miles on it.

mooooose

I was driving on the service road, it was a green light, but the person in front of me just stopped short at the light because they heard an ambulance in the distance. It was hard to see him because it was down a hill. There was plenty of time and people were still going through but he stopped, forcing me to slam my brakes going 45mph. I stopped with good distance but the person behind me didn't. They slammed on their brakes but they rear ended me. I pulled over and they drove off without me getting their license plate or info or even car make. I looked at my bumper and there is no damage other than a little scraped paint. It's a 96 Geo Prizm.

It couldn't have been that bad because they slammed their brakes, it was a light jolt but I didn't move, and the car looks fine.

I'm a poor college student (when i say poor, i mean i can under no circumstance get another car or pay for the repairs) with terrible insurance so I can't deal right now. I'm freaking out. What are the possible things that could be wrong? Could my car just explode? I don't even want to take it to a mechanic because I don't want to have to fix what could be wrong.

Google searches are making me freak out but I just hope that isn't the norm (hidden damage).

Fuck.

No Love

Banned
I was driving on the service road, it was a green light, but the person in front of me just stopped short at the light because they heard an ambulance in the distance. It was hard to see him because it was down a hill. There was plenty of time and people were still going through but he stopped, forcing me to slam my brakes going 45mph. I stopped with good distance but the person behind me didn't. They slammed on their brakes but they rear ended me. I pulled over and they drove off without me getting their license plate or info or even car make. I looked at my bumper and there is no damage other than a little scraped paint. It's a 96 Geo Prizm.

It couldn't have been that bad because they slammed their brakes, it was a light jolt but I didn't move, and the car looks fine.

I'm a poor college student (when i say poor, i mean i can under no circumstance get another car or pay for the repairs) with terrible insurance so I can't deal right now. I'm freaking out. What are the possible things that could be wrong? Could my car just explode? I don't even want to take it to a mechanic because I don't want to have to fix what could be wrong.

Google searches are making me freak out but I just hope that isn't the norm (hidden damage).

Fuck.

Your car is absolutely fine. Your bumper would have to look like an elephant fucked it in order to have structural damage. And even then, the bumper can be thrashed with no real damage other than cosmetic.

If it was just scraped paint, buff it out and forget it.

mooooose

Your car is absolutely fine. Your bumper would have to look like an elephant fucked it in order to have structural damage. And even then, the bumper can be thrashed with no real damage other than cosmetic.

If it was just scraped paint, buff it out and forget it.

Thank you dude. Just trying to find some relief. The struggles of life.

No Love

Banned
All BMWs are shitbins after 50K.

After I sold my 335i the guy who bought it from me had something go wrong with every month. Last week the water pump totally gave out, leaving the car inoperable at only 74K miles on it.

E30, E34 and E36 are very reliable, well built cars. Hell the E34 I DD has 260k miles on it and runs great. Those motors are Honda reliable and so simple to work on. E46 E60 and beyond are where they jumped the shark. God forbid you own an early 2000s 7 series... jesusssss what a shitbox.

I wish BMWs were as reliable, fun, and spirited as they used to be. That being said, maybe the M4 can change my mind and I'll lease one. And the 1M is a car I'll consider collecting in the next year or two if the bug bites me.

E30, E34 and E36 are very reliable, well built cars. Hell the E34 I DD has 260k miles on it and runs great. Those motors are Honda reliable and so simple to work on. E46 E60 and beyond are where they jumped the shark. God forbid you own an early 2000s 7 series... jesusssss what a shitbox.

I wish BMWs were as reliable, fun, and spirited as they used to be. That being said, maybe the M4 can change my mind and I'll lease one. And the 1M is a car I'll consider collecting in the next year or two if the bug bites me.
Modern BMWs are garbage. The e92 m3 is an exception.

I had 300k miles on my e30 before I sold it and ive got 180k on my e36 right now.

N-Bomb

Modern BMWs are garbage. The e92 m3 is an exception.

I had 300k miles on my e30 before I sold it and ive got 180k on my e36 right now.

I never thought about it till now, but you guys might be right. I only ever see pre-2000ish BMWs and under-3-5-year-old bimmers on the road these days.

I saw an E89 Z4 for the first time in person the other day. The front end I could probably do better, but otherwise that's a handsome car.

coldfoot

Banned
I totally would but at that point of buying a clean 530i, swapping all the shit, I'd be at like 30k+ and might as well buy a nice '09 CTS-V for $40k.
Yeah only worth if you can get the 530i cheaply, maybe one with nice interior and exterior but a blown engine/tranny. Mate it with an LS2 from a crashed GTO, do most of the work yourself, and maybe then it would work out. Still a long shot though. I see the point about CTS-V but those are ugly as sin. I'd rather get a C63 AMG at that price.

No Love

Banned
Yeah only worth if you can get the 530i cheaply, maybe one with nice interior and exterior but a blown engine/tranny. Mate it with an LS2 from a crashed GTO, do most of the work yourself, and maybe then it would work out. Still a long shot though. I see the point about CTS-V but those are ugly as sin. I'd rather get a C63 AMG at that price.

Whaaaaat. The CTS-V is a mean, sexy beast. And with just a couple bolt-ons, E85, and a smaller pulley, you're at 650 whp/650 wtq.

I totally wouldn't mind daily driving a CTS-V with that level of power. Especially a 6MT wagon...

coldfoot

Banned
Whaaaaat. The CTS-V is a mean, sexy beast. And with just a couple bolt-ons, E85, and a smaller pulley, you're at 650 whp/650 wtq.

I totally wouldn't mind daily driving a CTS-V with that level of power. Especially a 6MT wagon...

You could have the nicest, smartest woman in the world who'd cater to your every fantasy, but if she's ugly it doesn't matter, you wouldn't be interested. There hasn't been a single acceptable looking Cadillac since the "Art and Science" bullshit started.

hobz360

Congrats! F30post is waiting for ya.

Yep, already a member!

How do you like it so far?

This being my first BMW, I'm lovin' every moment I get in and drive the car! I've driven my uncle's E90 before and there's definitely a huge difference in steering and suspension feel. The car, though, is really comfortable. It's also not bad that I'm getting 24mpg city driving and 28mpg HWY, I'm hoping I can get the HWY mpg up tp 36mpg like it's advertised.

Still in the break-in period, only have 450 miles n it, and I haven't gone above 4,500K (usually shift anywhere between 2-3.5K), and no 0-60 run/launching the car yet. I will do all those things after the 1,200 miles break-in period :)

Just changed my stock halogen DRL to iJDMtoy's LED DRL :D

9675213997_425581f762_c.jpg

9675213653_84ee5c3205_c.jpg

9678443084_1deeb483d5_c.jpg

9675212101_0516c1cd3c_c.jpg

9675210879_3a947f8577_c.jpg

No Love

Banned
You could have the nicest, smartest woman in the world who'd cater to your every fantasy, but if she's ugly it doesn't matter, you wouldn't be interested. There hasn't been a single acceptable looking Cadillac since the "Art and Science" bullshit started.

Watch this video and tell me you don't lust after a CTS-V:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpSXWOK01Zo

The car is just so menacing. Maybe not beautiful, but it is aggressive and mean looking.

ascii42

I thought the XLR-V was pretty nice looking, and there are plenty of people who like the 2nd gen CTS/CTS-V.

Cadillac has generally gone for "imposing" over "attractive", which is probably why their design doesn't scale down well. The ATS looks fine enough, I suppose, but it's the Escalade that wears Art and Science the best.

No Love

Banned
CTS-V look nice but I think id settle for a C6 Z06.

I want both! I keep trying to convince my GF to get a CTS-V instead of an IS-F but she loves the Lexus styling and reliability. :\

Honestly after I get my Z06, it will be a hard decision to choose between CTS-V and GTR... probably go for the GTR since it'd be easy to take that car and make it an insane monster. But I'd most likely want a 2009, but then no warranty + modding = eeeeeeee scary.

AlphaSnake

I couldn't live with the interior of a C6. I'd much rather the slower CTS-V with a few bolt ons.

No Love

Banned
I couldn't live with the interior of a C6. I'd much rather the slower CTS-V with a few bolt ons.

CTS-V can't handle like the Z06. Yes you can easily get 650-700 whp out of it just with a few boltons + E85, but it still weighs 1000+ lbs more. I can easily get 550-600 whp out of a Z06 just with bolt-ons and E85, and it weighs less than 3200 lbs...

Also, Z06 interior is really not that bad.
2008-chevrolet-corvette-z06-interior-photo-334653-s-1280x782.jpg

AlphaSnake

That's hard for me to even look at. I wanted an LS3 Corvette GS at one point, but after test driving a fully loaded one, it was the interior I knew I couldn't live with.

ascii42

Might as well be looking at C7s at this point anyway. I saw a rumor about a "Z07" with a twin-turbo V8, which doesn't make much sense to me, maybe they'd do that for the ZR1. I want to see what a 7L version of the new LT1 will result in.

No Love

Banned
That's hard for me to even look at. I wanted an LS3 Corvette GS at one point, but after test driving a fully loaded one, it was the interior I knew I couldn't live with.

Interior isn't a big deal to me. Remember, I drive an Evo. lol

And if I want something with a nice interior, I could just go buy a used Lexus LS460 or something. I'm really all about performance and fun factor. Maybe in the next couple years I can buy a Porsche 911 Turbo or something if I want fun factor, monster power and handling, and high end interior all rolled into one. Til then I'll drive around with hideous interiors. :D

Might as well be looking at C7s at this point anyway. I saw a rumor about a "Z07" with a twin-turbo V8, which doesn't make much sense to me, maybe they'd do that for the ZR1. I want to see what a 7L version of the new LT1 will result in.

I would wait for the C7 Z06 but it's over a year away. Plus the C6 Z06 is such a great deal and has such an amazing motor.

Ty4on

Are NSXes also kinda cheap in the US? Hard to compare prices here with out taxes (the Tesla Model S is cheaper than a base 520d and they sort of apply for used cars), but it isn't much more than an E39 M5.

No Love

Banned
Guys, guys.

I just had an irresistible urge to buy an NSX.

It might be time to sell off some cars.

Ok, contrary to what everyone is saying here, DO NOT BUY AN NSX. It's one of my favorite cars of all time, but here's what MANY people do not know:

This is what I've heard (cannot verify how accurate it is): When the earthquakes/tsunami hit Japan, Honda lost their cache of NSX spare parts so there are some parts that you will never be able to get replacements for.

Now, this is just what I've heard, I'd need to go and really dig up on it. I am guessing it's something Honda would not want to be known, either. Take it with a grain of salt.

Also, NSX's are slow for their cost. But they are great cars to drive. But then again, you can get an S2000 for a lot less and it does the same thing but better in some cases. Although the S2000 is gutless and has no torque like the NSX does. :)

No Love

Banned
Early like 91-93. I think those are the most pure years.

I have been tempted to get an s2000 before but the lack of torque kind of does it in for me.

97+ is the best. Gets better gearing, more horsepower + displacement, etc. The 97+ models are quite a bit quicker than the 91-96.

Guys, guys.

I just had an irresistible urge to buy an NSX.

It might be time to sell off some cars.

After all the BMW ownership, why the urge to buy an NSX? They have been maintaining value really well and the NA1's will just continue to climb up in price. So I guess now is a good time to find and buy one.

97+ is the best. Gets better gearing, more horsepower + displacement, etc. The 97+ models are quite a bit quicker than the 91-96.

...but the damn T-Tops.

I still can't justify $30k for a 20+ year old NA1 NSX with average of 120k miles... I know they are well built, especially the ones out of Snap Ring range or got them fixed, but still.

coldfoot

Banned
If you're not in love with the NSX styling, I can't see why they're 35k when you can find 08 Cayman S's with less than 30 miles on them for 35-38k.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
If you're not in love with the NSX styling, I can't see why they're 35k when you can find 08 Cayman S's with less than 30 miles on them for 35-38k.

You can find 5 year old Cayman's with less than 30 miles on them?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom