• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Automotive Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

N-Bomb

Man, huge front mount intercoolers just look gaudy to me :\

(I've also had the urge to get an NSX occasionally. But I've also had an urge to buy a Ferrari. So.)

Smokey

All BMWs are shitbins after 50K.

After I sold my 335i the guy who bought it from me had something go wrong with every month. Last week the water pump totally gave out, leaving the car inoperable at only 74K miles on it.

Lies! 70k on my 335 and we rollin just fine! All them damn NY potholes did you in

i did have the water pump issue too, but that was a while ago. Other than that nothing besides tires (shitty runflats) and standard maintenance

No Love

Banned
Girlfriend and I are going to look at a super mint 2009 IS-F tomorrow. Dude babied the car... the whole front end is custom clear bra'd! Looks brand new.

He's only selling it to get a Porsche 911 GT3. Baller!

grendelrt

Lies! 70k on my 335 and we rollin just fine! All them damn NY potholes did you in

i did have the water pump issue too, but that was a while ago. Other than that nothing besides tires (shitty runflats) and standard maintenance

My e92 M3 has 63K on it, not issues in the 3 years I have owned it, only fluid changes so far (oil, diff, brake).

Early like 91-93. I think those are the most pure years.

I have been tempted to get an s2000 before but the lack of torque kind of does it in for me.

Yeah, from what I understand... the earlier models are the most "raw" and less bloated. I've only been on the track (passenger) in a 98, so I can't comment on how much "lighter" it is.

As for the S2K, give it a chance. yeah you kinda have to wind it out a bit more then other more peaky cars, but they handle amazingly. Sooooo crisp, when I've driven my friends (though there's various suspension mods).

Man, huge front mount intercoolers just look gaudy to me :\

WUT?!

lem0n

Ok, contrary to what everyone is saying here, DO NOT BUY AN NSX. It's one of my favorite cars of all time, but here's what MANY people do not know:

This is what I've heard (cannot verify how accurate it is): When the earthquakes/tsunami hit Japan, Honda lost their cache of NSX spare parts so there are some parts that you will never be able to get replacements for.

Now, this is just what I've heard, I'd need to go and really dig up on it. I am guessing it's something Honda would not want to be known, either. Take it with a grain of salt.

Also, NSX's are slow for their cost. But they are great cars to drive. But then again, you can get an S2000 for a lot less and it does the same thing but better in some cases. Although the S2000 is gutless and has no torque like the NSX does. :)

I'm sorry, but lol. The S2k is great and all but the NSX is in a totally different league. Just because they're down on TQ doesn't mean it can't keep up with the big boys, they use their power better than most other cars, because of their ability to carry speed everywhere else. No waiting on turbos, no weight to lug around.

Also, now is the time to get an NSX. There will be enough parts around to keep them going for a while. There's still parts to keep much rarer stuff going, so keeping that V6 going shouldn't be too difficult.

No Love

Banned
I'm sorry, but lol. The S2k is great and all but the NSX is in a totally different league. Just because they're down on TQ doesn't mean it can't keep up with the big boys, they use their power better than most other cars, because of their ability to carry speed everywhere else. No waiting on turbos, no weight to lug around.

Also, now is the time to get an NSX. There will be enough parts around to keep them going for a while. There's still parts to keep much rarer stuff going, so keeping that V6 going shouldn't be too difficult.

Um no, it's really not. I've driven both extensively, have you? The performance between tbe two is very similar. It's easier to make the S2000 run better times on track too.

And no, the NSX does not keep up with the big boys, not anymore. Z06, Evo, M3, etc all run much much faster on track. The only exception is the FXX NSX but thats not really an NSX anymore, not in the traditional sense anyways.

Ok, just picked up a new bumper for my Impreza,(was a really good price but its kind of rough) its white and my car is red/maroon (wanting to be Sedona Red Pearl) but the paint on the car sucks, the clear coat is peeling bad.

So if I plan to repaint the car down the line should I bother spending the money paintmatching the bumper when the rest of the paint is shit?

or should I put it on white, or just leave the bumper off until I have all the pieces I need?
shooting for this look, minus the rear spoiler, wheels, side mirros and hood.
vqve.jpg

Its odd when you have in mind EXACTLY what you want for your car then you find someone who has already almost exactly done that.

I feel like I am just collecting a shit load of parts for my car and putting them in the closet until I have everything before putting it on, I still need a couple more parts for the WRX Drivetrain to go in.

I may just end up painting the whole car white or another color.

No Love

Banned
Ok, just picked up a new bumper for my Impreza,(was a really good price but its kind of rough) its white and my car is red/maroon (wanting to be Sedona Red Pearl) but the paint on the car sucks, the clear coat is peeling bad.

So if I plan to repaint the car down the line should I bother spending the money paintmatching the bumper when the rest of the paint is shit?

or should I put it on white, or just leave the bumper off until I have all the pieces I need?
shooting for this look, minus the rear spoiler, wheels, side mirros and hood.
vqve.jpg

Its odd when you have in mind EXACTLY what you want for your car then you find someone who has already almost exactly done that.

I feel like I am just collecting a shit load of parts for my car and putting them in the closet until I have everything before putting it on, I still need a couple more parts for the WRX Drivetrain to go in.

Save your money, don't color match it.

Also, open up those head lights and plastidip them black. I opened up my Evo 8 headlights, plastidipped the inside black, and retrofitted TSX projectors into it (RS so it doesn't have HID's from the factory, only halogens). Made a BIG difference in looks.

stock vs stock, I guarantee I can out do a NSX in corner speed in my Z06. The car has been left behind for a while now.

No Love

Banned
stock vs stock, I guarantee I can out do a NSX in corner speed in my Z06. The car has been left behind for a while now.

Z06 will obliterate an NSX on any track, guaranteed. NSX will actually probably get lapped by a Z06 if the race goes on long enough, equal driver vs equal driver.

Hell, NSX can't even keep up with the older C5 Z06. Check this out:

http://www.z06vette.com/forums/f4/road-track-z06-vs-nsx-vs-911-carrera-9929/

NSX 1:59.10 $91k 290/224 BHP/torque
911 1:58.10 $78k 320/273
Z06 1:56.98 $50k 405/400

The C5 Z06 leaves the NSX far behind, and the C6 Z06 is much much faster than the C5 Z06.

Ready for 2012 C6 Z06 time? Driven by Randy Probst (time is in Road & Track, see here: http://www.z06vette.com/forums/f62/z06-vs-zr1-around-laguna-seca-125679/)

C6 Z06 2012: 1:34.4

Yeah... NSX is almost half a minute slower. That's Moon to Earth distance in lap times. lol

The C6 Z06 would lap the NSX in a couple of laps. Insane.

Do it right the first time. Do everything at once when you have everything you want.

No Love

Banned
Yea I think I am going to wait.

In other things, what do you guys think of things sticking out of the hood?

A blower sticking out of the good of an import just screams pull me over and mess with me. Plus, putting a blower on a Subaru is just dumb. Turbo is a much better option.

No Love

Banned
The whole point of a hood is to cover stuff. At this point, might as well just ditch the hood and save that 40 lbs to put into subs.

Well also the hood is a big part of aerodynamics. Have the hood off and uncovered and the aerodynamics go to shit. Its just pointless no matter what unless you make a big 'cowl' style hood like a musclecar.
87cowlhoodfg.jpg

Bizarre for sure.

A blower sticking out of the good of an import just screams pull me over and mess with me. Plus, putting a blower on a Subaru is just dumb. Turbo is a much better option.

Now, while I agree with the first statement, I cant with the second, my plan is to run a supercharger on mine initially, the combination of the sound of a flat engine and the SC whine is just too great, plus you cant beat instant boost.

click the picture.

No Love

Banned
Now, while I agree with the first statement, I cant with the second, my plan is to run a supercharger on mine initially, the combination of the sound of a flat engine and the SC whine is just too great, plus you cant beat instant boost.

click the picture.

Depends on the SC. A centrifugal only makes power by RPM, and roots/twinscrew make great low end torque but are still limited in overall powerband. You can get instant response out of a turbo too depending on displacement. On a stroked Evo for example you can get spool at 2000-2500 rpm... overall powerband with a turbo and small engine will always be better than a roots blower and small engine if you choose the right turbo.

Believe me, I used to be an SC guy and antiturbo guy, but after experimenting with turbos I have realized how superior they truly are. On a 2.0 a roots/twinscrew blower can be great for low end response but midrange and top end will never match a turbo on that small of a motor. And remember that low end response means nothing in the face of proper gearing.

Just IMO of course. I remember an S2000 that had a badass roots blower on it... on 12 psi it was making 250 wtq at 2500RPM which is insane for a 2.0. That being said, an Evo 9 or X can spool a turbo and make that kind of torque at that RPM too.

Depends on the SC. A centrifugal only makes power by RPM, and roots/twinscrew make great low end torque but are still limited in overall powerband. You can get instant response out of a turbo too depending on displacement. On a stroked Evo for example you can get spool at 2000-2500 rpm... overall powerband with a turbo and small engine will always be better than a roots blower and small engine if you choose the right turbo.

Believe me, I used to be an SC guy and antiturbo guy, but after experimenting with turbos I have realized how superior they truly are. On a 2.0 a roots/twinscrew blower can be great for low end response but midrange and top end will never match a turbo on that small of a motor. And remember that low end response means nothing in the face of proper gearing.

Just IMO of course. I remember an S2000 that had a badass roots blower on it... on 12 psi it was making 250 wtq at 2500RPM which is insane for a 2.0. That being said, an Evo 9 or X can spool a turbo and make that kind of torque at that RPM too.

I am not anti turbo, my last car was an MR2 Turbo, loved that car absolutely.

Its just my plan is for a flat 6 in my impreza with a M62 and I am looking for a great balance between engine and forced induction.

That and there is a big upside to just being able to unbolt a supercharger rather than the exhaust system for a smog.

No Love

Banned

Its just my plan is for a flat 6 in my impreza with a M62 and I am looking for a great balance between engine and forced induction.

That and there is a big upside to just being able to unbolt a supercharger rather than the exhaust system for a smog.

You're in CA too, right? I can get you 'special' smogs, don't even have to take it into the shop. :) My friend owns a smog shop if you want to get things done quickly and hassle free.

GF was testing out her new camera, here's a pic of my Evo. Check out my beat to shit front lip LOL. That bumper has gone through hell and back.

Tpp9itH.jpg

MooSeePoo

Neo Member
So some more pics of the new Jaguar SUV "Concept" have been released. Not really sure about it to be honest, at the front it looks sex, but the side-view just looks like any other SUV out there (save from the "chopped off" front end. I think that this "concept" is pretty much a final version apart from the interior.

Link

I just love the look of the NSX.

1992_honda_nsx-pic-4698451617008115348.jpeg

:swoon:

I have more fun on tracks beating the shit out of older cheaper cars.

Bah im having trouble finding a picture of my 700 dollar E30 that I raced for a couple of years.

N-Bomb

Man, that's gonna make the thing even more understeery, are you sure about this?

I don't even like seeing my hood, something sticking out like that would enrage me every time I drove, I think.

GF was testing out her new camera, here's a pic of my Evo. Check out my beat to shit front lip LOL. That bumper has gone through hell and back.

Tpp9itH.jpg

Very nice! Makes me antsy to finish up my plans for mine! Need to edit the front bumper. Don't want to go w/ the usual Ver 6 JDM bumper, or 22B replica like everyone else does. :\

TheOMan

Tagged as I see fit
So some more pics of the new Jaguar SUV "Concept" have been released. Not really sure about it to be honest, at the front it looks sex, but the side-view just looks like any other SUV out there (save from the "chopped off" front end. I think that this "concept" is pretty much a final version apart from the interior.

Link

Link doesn't seem to work.

EekTheKat

Two weeks in, and I've already scratched the hell out of my front lip of the GTR :/ LOL Though from the looks of it, the film in the front lip of the car caught most of the damage.

I can't see the scratches from the front, but it kills me a little when I hear that crunch noise when pulling out of a entrance/exit ramp.

Had a Clear Bra installed recently too, but there's some problems with the install on one side (bubbling, edge tearing). Installer promised to take a look at it after a week to let the material cure.

Currently looking into a skid plate, though it looks like some people have less intrusive solution through the use of padding and double sided tape(?) or something like that. One local shop will get back to me after they look up the subject a bit more.

My options seem to be :

A padding solution, shouldn't be visible since it's on the bottom of the car.
The Stillen Skid Plate : 30 minute install job, but might require punching holes to mount the thing.
Just live with the scratches, repaint/repair it after a few years.

Most seem to recommend a Stillen aftermarket part that's designed specifically for this, but from what I understand, it would require punching holes in the front lip of the car to mount it properly with self-tapping screws. Some people seem to think I'm insane and should just live with it, but most owners of cars with a low front lip seem to be for it.

Other than that, the car has been growling along. I've been keeping her under 3000rpm so far (only came close to 3000 once ), current plan is to follow the break in procedure, then properly enjoy the thing after the first scheduled service.

EekTheKat

just raise your gtr a feet. lowering cars is overrated!

Funny enough, I think there's actually an aftermarket kit that allows something like this, a variable height adjustment system. There's a discussion on another board about it.

Current plan is to keep stock as much as possible however, since I actually like the look and handling of the car as is.

No Love

Banned
Two weeks in, and I've already scratched the hell out of my front lip of the GTR :/ LOL Though from the looks of it, the film in the front lip of the car caught most of the damage.

I can't see the scratches from the front, but it kills me a little when I hear that crunch noise when pulling out of a entrance/exit ramp.

Had a Clear Bra installed recently too, but there's some problems with the install on one side (bubbling, edge tearing). Installer promised to take a look at it after a week to let the material cure.

Currently looking into a skid plate, though it looks like some people have less intrusive solution through the use of padding and double sided tape(?) or something like that. One local shop will get back to me after they look up the subject a bit more.

My options seem to be :

A padding solution, shouldn't be visible since it's on the bottom of the car.
The Stillen Skid Plate : 30 minute install job, but might require punching holes to mount the thing.
Just live with the scratches, repaint/repair it after a few years.

Most seem to recommend a Stillen aftermarket part that's designed specifically for this, but from what I understand, it would require punching holes in the front lip of the car to mount it properly with self-tapping screws. Some people seem to think I'm insane and should just live with it, but most owners of cars with a low front lip seem to be for it.

Other than that, the car has been growling along. I've been keeping her under 3000rpm so far (only came close to 3000 once ), current plan is to follow the break in procedure, then properly enjoy the thing after the first scheduled service.

You need to learn how to drive a lowered car. Take driveways/dips at an angle, not head-on. This is pretty much a user error thing.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Z06 will obliterate an NSX on any track, guaranteed. NSX will actually probably get lapped by a Z06 if the race goes on long enough, equal driver vs equal driver.

Hell, NSX can't even keep up with the older C5 Z06. Check this out:

http://www.z06vette.com/forums/f4/road-track-z06-vs-nsx-vs-911-carrera-9929/

NSX 1:59.10 $91k 290/224 BHP/torque
911 1:58.10 $78k 320/273
Z06 1:56.98 $50k 405/400

The C5 Z06 leaves the NSX far behind, and the C6 Z06 is much much faster than the C5 Z06.

Ready for 2012 C6 Z06 time? Driven by Randy Probst (time is in Road & Track, see here: http://www.z06vette.com/forums/f62/z06-vs-zr1-around-laguna-seca-125679/)

C6 Z06 2012: 1:34.4

Yeah... NSX is almost half a minute slower. That's Moon to Earth distance in lap times. lol

The C6 Z06 would lap the NSX in a couple of laps. Insane.

False, the NSX, old Skylines and Ferrari Testarossas are all powered by magic and memories. So whatever the fastest available car is today, it is still, for some reason, slower than an NSX or a Testarossa.

EekTheKat

You need to learn how to drive a lowered car. Take driveways/dips at an angle, not head-on. This is pretty much a user error thing.

Up until one certain ramp in an area I've never been before at night, I have been pretty careful :p had no problems getting around my usual spots over some of the usual speed bumps and entrance ramps. ( taking things at an angle slowly )

I did misjudged one ramp and heard that crunch noise one unfortunate night. But still, it seems relatively minor at the moment, actual paint seems okay but the film seems scraped up badly. I suppose I can actually live with that over some of the more outlandish solutions out there.

Might just take it down to a detailing shop at one point and consider it a lesson learned.

No Love

Banned
Is an OptiCoat worth it (especially on a new car)?

Yes! My girlfriend and I looked at an ISF on Saturday. Whole front end was clear bra'd. OMFG the paint underneath looked AMAZING. Car looked like it just rolled out of the factory.

Totally worth it if it's an expensive car. And we'll be picking that car up this week. Always wanted to hoon in a Lexus. lol

Up until one certain ramp in an area I've never been before at night, I have been pretty careful :p had no problems getting around my usual spots over some of the usual speed bumps and entrance ramps. ( taking things at an angle slowly )

I did misjudged one ramp and heard that crunch noise one unfortunate night. But still, it seems relatively minor at the moment, actual paint seems okay but the film seems scraped up badly. I suppose I can actually live with that over some of the more outlandish solutions out there.

Might just take it down to a detailing shop at one point and consider it a lesson learned.

It's one of those things you get used to. You'll quickly be able to tell if you can 'make it' or not. Just be glad it's a lip, should be cheap to fix/replace.

Man, that's gonna make the thing even more understeery, are you sure about this?

I don't even like seeing my hood, something sticking out like that would enrage me every time I drove, I think.

Very nice! Makes me antsy to finish up my plans for mine! Need to edit the front bumper. Don't want to go w/ the usual Ver 6 JDM bumper, or 22B replica like everyone else does. :\

Yea I am pretty sure on the EG33 swap, I may not add any forced induction down the line, but I am not sure if 230HP would be enough IDK

and I dont plan on it being like the picture I had posted earlier.
More like this
main.php

or this
imgp1125.jpg

but I would love to make a custom intake with electric power steering and do something like this:
sptsc.jpg

but I will work with suspension components to dial out understeer.

and as far as a bumper, I feel the same way, so thats why I chose the newer L bumper with a good lip and grille,

You're in CA too, right? I can get you 'special' smogs, don't even have to take it into the shop. :) My friend owns a smog shop if you want to get things done quickly and hassle free.

Tpp9itH.jpg
Yea I would love to be able to find a place like that, I hear the going rate is $300 - $500?

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack

Link

It looks beautiful to me. It reminds me of the 1st gen Infiniti FX. Clean and simple.

The profile view of crossover of that size is almost impossible to make any different than that, imo. Jaguar has a very curvaceous design language. Looking at similar cars, the Cayenne, Audi Q5 and Infiniti FX exhibit very similar qualities. Ultimately, it's the signature front and rear ends of the car that speak to me. The front is an XF, the rear is an F-Type.

The overall result is perfection. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom