• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Automotive Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
are they? Can get a brz limited for about $27k including fees (before tax). 370z starts at about 30k, but you'd want some of the sports packages right?

2014 370Z starts at $28,500 now. Add sports package and you're just a tick below $31K based on CarsDirect. Nissan has a lot of flexibility in pricing of their cars. Use Truecar.com as well.

I thought BRZ pricing went up for the 2014 models.

Eh, by a few dollars. It was insignificant.

pretty sure they only added some kneepads and removed 1 badge or something. They aren't gonna sell 14 until later though.

wasn't a big fan of 370z when i test drove a friends. I forget, does it have any room behind the seats to store stuff?

AlphaSnake

pretty sure they only added some kneepads and removed 1 badge or something. They aren't gonna sell 14 until later though.

wasn't a big fan of 370z when i test drove a friends. I forget, does it have any room behind the seats to store stuff?

There are storage spaces, yes. And the entire trunk is accessible from behind the seat too, hatchback style. So you can just reach behind and grab what you need.

Viperbah

In terms of handling, about equal or a bit better than my Evo. In a straight line my Evo will eat the Z06... until I mod the Z a bit.

I have laid the groundwork for some Vette mods to start with... headers, exhaust, heavy duty clutch + aluminum flywheel, two piece brake rotors, leather Recaro Pole Positions, lightweight battery, lightweight stickier tires... all of that will cut 200-250 lbs off the car and add 50+ whp if I tune it. I love lightweight cars and a sub 3000 lb Z06 would feel crazy on street and the track.

But I do want to pick up my friend's Evo 9 in a couple months too. There is something about Evos that is immensely satisfying when driving them. I'd rank them Inn my top 5 driver's cars.

No point in getting headers for it until you go H/C. A good tune and CAI will give you around 30-40 rwhp. Headers miiight add another 10, but for the cost your better off doing something else.

The stock (full) exhaust is actually pretty good. There is no real benefit in changing the catback either unless you just want it to be louder.

Smokey

Had a meeting with BMW yesterday. On the way back the fiance and I decided to stop by the Porsche dealership. I've never been in a Porsche nor driven one. I expected to just get some information on the Cayman and be on our way. 10 minutes tops. Ended up staying for over a hour that involved 3 test drives. What an experience.

Salesman was very helpful. Filled us in on the background of Porsche and general information. After a lot of talking he said he'd pull around a 2014 Cayman S for us to test drive. After a brief time of him explaining what the buttons in the car do and this and that he stated the test drive and oh my god. Had a giant grin on my face the entire time. Dude was driving the hell out of the car. Demonstrated the cornering ability of the car by taking a turn at who knows how fast but a lot damn faster than I'm used or ever thought about doing. Demonstrated launch control and then slammed on the brakes to show the stopping power. Explained and demonstrated the differences between Normal, Sport, and Sport Plus mode. Dat auto spoiler at 75+mph. Hearing that engine behind your head as you are driving and shifting...it was incredible.

I got to test drive it afterwards. Went back to the dealership and they let my fiance and I take it out for a spin. She loved it. I loved it. I don't think there could have been a better first impression of a brand or car.

So I was pretty set on saving up for a M4, but after spending quite some time with the Cayman S yesterday...man that threw a wrench into that line of thinking.

So how do temporary tags on cars bought new at a dealer work? Can I continue driving the car till I get it registered?

I also guess I don't have to do a title transfer like I had to do when I bought my used car?

ascii42

So how do temporary tags on cars bought new at a dealer work? Can I continue driving the car till I get it registered?

I also guess I don't have to do a title transfer like I had to do when I bought my used car?

The tag is good until the date it says on it (usually a month after you bought the car). And yeah, no title transfer. If you pay cash, you'll get the title. If you get a loan, the bank will have the title until you pay off the loan.

The tag is good until the date it says on it (usually a month after you bought the car). And yeah, no title transfer. If you pay cash, you'll get the title. If you get a loan, the bank will have the title until you pay off the loan.

Ah, ok. That makes sense. I recall Ford being mentioned on the title when I bought my old car. (The seller had a letter clearing the lien as well).

I bought my car out of state so it will take time before the sales tax is forwarded to my local DMV. Just wanted to check if I can drive as normal on the dealer provided tags. Will now have to go sort out insurance.

AlphaSnake

Had a meeting with BMW yesterday. On the way back the fiance and I decided to stop by the Porsche dealership. I've never been in a Porsche nor driven one. I expected to just get some information on the Cayman and be on our way. 10 minutes tops. Ended up staying for over a hour that involved 3 test drives. What an experience.

Salesman was very helpful. Filled us in on the background of Porsche and general information. After a lot of talking he said he'd pull around a 2014 Cayman S for us to test drive. After a brief time of him explaining what the buttons in the car do and this and that he stated the test drive and oh my god. Had a giant grin on my face the entire time. Dude was driving the hell out of the car. Demonstrated the cornering ability of the car by taking a turn at who knows how fast but a lot damn faster than I'm used or ever thought about doing. Demonstrated launch control and then slammed on the brakes to show the stopping power. Explained and demonstrated the differences between Normal, Sport, and Sport Plus mode. Dat auto spoiler at 75+mph. Hearing that engine behind your head as you are driving and shifting...it was incredible.

I got to test drive it afterwards. Went back to the dealership and they let my fiance and I take it out for a spin. She loved it. I loved it. I don't think there could have been a better first impression of a brand or car.

So I was pretty set on saving up for a M4, but after spending quite some time with the Cayman S yesterday...man that threw a wrench into that line of thinking.

For the money of a Cayman S, get something that's faster, handles just as well, is faaar more unique, but looks 50x better.

2013_jaguar_f_type_overseas_11-0927.jpg

Hnnnnnnnnnngggggg

Smokey

For the money of a Cayman S, get something that's faster, handles just as well, is faaar more unique, but looks 50x better.

2013_jaguar_f_type_overseas_11-0927.jpg

Hnnnnnnnnnngggggg

Yeah I wanted to try that out afterwards. There is a Jag dealership right across the street. Will have to get out there some time and try it.

welp. thinking of going automatic for new car. traffic is just getting too shitty around here during work commute...

really curious how good automatics are in today's sporty cars. Probably better than my 4 speed auto prizm.

welp. thinking of going automatic for new car. traffic is just getting too shitty around here during work commute...

really curious how good automatics are in today's sporty cars. Probably better than my 4 speed auto prizm.

Embrace your glorious DCT future (until EV sport cars become popular). Even regular automatics are starting to edge out manuals in terms of performance. So unless your soul is filled with passion by rowing your own gears, you're not missing out on much else.

Embrace your glorious DCT future (until EV sport cars become popular). Even regular automatics are starting to edge out manuals in terms of performance. So unless your soul is filled with passion by rowing your own gears, you're not missing out on much else.

it was for a few months... than i got a job where i leave for work at 6:30 and get home at 7pm.

that passion... kinda died out. I might get a manual weekend car down the road, but i'm mostly looking for a daily driver that is still fun enough to squee on the mountains occasionally.

AlphaSnake

Top Gear Magazine heralds the F-Type as one of the top 50 best cars in the past 20 years.

Damn fucking right.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Wow they're making a coupe? Ok, interest piqued. What's the payment for this a month? $800-1000? Do they have a manual option?

About that... to start lol. The V8S Vert is about $100k easy. Coupe V6 and V6s could be had in the range... maybe.

They're bringing back a manual for it, too. They believe that a proper two-seater should come with a manual. Whether it will be in the V8S? That's up in the air, because of the insane amount of torque it has.

ascii42

About that... to start lol. The V8S Vert is about $100k easy. Coupe V6 and V6s could be had in the range... maybe.

They're bringing back a manual for it, too. They believe that a proper two-seater should come with a manual. Whether it will be in the V8S? That's up in the air, because of the insane amount of torque it has.

A manual should be doable even in the V8S. It's not like it's torqueyer than a Corvette ZR1.

No Love

Banned
No point in getting headers for it until you go H/C. A good tune and CAI will give you around 30-40 rwhp. Headers miiight add another 10, but for the cost your better off doing something else.

The stock (full) exhaust is actually pretty good. There is no real benefit in changing the catback either unless you just want it to be louder.

Yeah, I think the stock is exhaust, especially with Mild to Wild so you can control the loudness.

The main idea is to reduce weight as much as possible. a 2900~ lb Z06 would be pretty wild.

Nice, im probably gonna pick those up and respray the grill on my hood this weekend.

Did you throw on a JDM rear bumper? If so where did you pick yours up from?

No JDM bumper, but what you can do is get an OEM JDM 9 bumper from Mitsu... I guess for everything it's about $600. Then shave down your rear crash beam to fit in on.

Also, the OEM JDM 9 bumper comes painted in white from the factory. So you'll have to paint it too.

Why is Geico quoting me so much lower than others? Is it a case of get-what-you-pay-for or are they decent? Geico is asking me for $540 for 6 months. The next lowest is AAA at $760 for 6 months. (Bot for 100/300/100).

Oh, and that is with $1000 deductibles for collision and comprehensive for AAA. Geico is at $500 and $100. And I have a clean driving record, no tickets and have been with AAA for the last couple of years.

No Love

Banned
Why is Geico quoting me so much lower than others? Is it a case of get-what-you-pay-for or are they decent? Geico is asking me for $540 for 6 months. The next lowest is AAA at $760 for 6 months. (Bot for 100/300/100).

Oh, and that is with $1000 deductibles for collision and comprehensive for AAA. Geico is at $500 and $100. And I have a clean driving record, no tickets and have been with AAA for the last couple of years.

AAA is a fucking ripoff. Geico sucks.

l2ounD

I had a wreck last year that completely totaled my car. Wasnt my fault but dealing with the other guys insurance (geico) was more pleasant than dealing with my own. Plus they quickly handed me a check worth a few grand more than what I would get if I sold it on the market.

Plus Buffet owns it and thinks its a good choice.

AlphaSnake

I can't wait for the coupe, which should be a good 200-300lbs lighter.

And then the R-version?

Fuuuuuuu-----

I saw an XKR-S in French Racing Blue! I saw an XKR-S in French Racing Blue! I saw an XKR-S in French Racing Blue! I saw an XKR-S in French Racing Blue! I saw an XKR-S in French Racing Blue! I saw an XKR-S in French Racing Blue! I saw an XKR-S in French Racing Blue! I saw an XKR-S in French Racing Blue! I saw an XKR-S in French Racing Blue!

HOLY SHIT!

I see things like F458s, 360 Modenas, Lambos, R8s, Rolls', etc on the daily in this part of town in central Florida. But today was the first time I've seen an XKR-S on the prowl, French Racing Blue nonetheless - arguably the rarest color, for the rarest Jag you can buy today (along side the XFR-S). It's such a weird thing to see a car like this, like spotting a unicorn. The last time I was that excited to see a rare car was when I saw an E63 Wagon...because they're rarer than an SLS AMG by a margin of 10:1 (the rarest production Benz you can have, in fact).

Anyways, it sounded and looked absolutely fucking nuts.

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
What is the general consensus on Mobil 1 oil and filters. I've always used Honda oils/filters but since being banned from the dealership and then buying a Toyota I'm looking into Mobil 1. Supposedly their oils and filters are top notch. Recommend?

reilo

What is the general consensus on Mobil 1 oil and filters. I've always used Honda oils/filters but since being banned from the dealership and then buying a Toyota I'm looking into Mobil 1. Supposedly their oils and filters are top notch. Recommend?

bobistheoilguy.com -- look up the Used Oil Analysis (UOA) for your engine and go from there.

No Love

Banned
Evo is sold, picking up the check tomorrow. I'm ready for dat Z06... hopefully I can find a cyber gray one, if not, Jetstream Blue looks pretty good too.

Someone did suggest, however, that I get a Grand Sport instead and throw on a twin screw supercharger. I guess with just an E85 conversion, pulley, and mild boltons it's not hard to hit 700 whp/700 wtq on one of those setups. Damn that'd feel amazing. I think it has something like 500+ wtq at 2000 RPM too... god damn.

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
I hate the BITOG forums as I got perms banned for questioning their snake oil but I'll check it out. Thanks.

Edit- seems like Mobil 1 has some good oil based on the analysis'.

No JDM bumper, but what you can do is get an OEM JDM 9 bumper from Mitsu... I guess for everything it's about $600. Then shave down your rear crash beam to fit in on.

Also, the OEM JDM 9 bumper comes painted in white from the factory. So you'll have to paint it too.

Hmm so just call up the dealer and order it? I've got a good body shop around here as I cant paint for shit.

lol. Any company you would recommend in particular? I can request a quote from them.

Ive got erie insurance. Great prices and great customer service, only problem is the online payment system suuuuucks.

N-Bomb

Nothing wrong with a manual in traffic. I've done it for years, and I wouldn't trade the times out of traffic for... whatever an auto in traffic is, any day.

I think im gonna pickup some mudflaps for the evo.

Anyone try the rally armor ones?

NOF said it already. Pretty well-regarded. Thinking of a set myself, when I'm done my bodywork.

Top Gear Magazine heralds the F-Type as one of the top 50 best cars in the past 20 years.

Damn fucking right.

And the Miata, as well. And the Fiat Multipla. Not exactly the greatest list there. :\

Side: Goddam, I've been thinking of turbos again. And stroker kits. If I get a stroker kit, I'd probably want my engine blueprinted and balanced while it's apart. Ahhhh.

And now I've just been looking at dry sump systems, aaaaaaahhhhhhh. Why spend $40k on a Porsche when I can spend it on a Subaru? *dies*

AlphaSnake

And the Miata, as well. And the Fiat Multipla. Not exactly the greatest list there. :\

It's a list of diverse and versatile autos that cover a broad spectrum. Not a list of:

THE BEST CARS THAT WEIGH 2900LBS AND HAVE NO AIRBAGS!

N-Bomb

It's a list of diverse and versatile autos that cover a broad spectrum. Not a list of:

THE BEST CARS THAT WEIGH 2900LBS AND HAVE NO AIRBAGS!

"Top 50 Best Cars" so without any ranking, I believe it's just a collection of 50, you're saying the Jag is on par with the Fiat. Seems like a useless list, really. Maybe should've been "50 Cars We Like" (yes, the Impreza and Evo are also on the list, but point stands)

reilo

How is the Miata not one of the greatest 50 cars of the last 20 years?

"Top 50 Best Cars" so without any ranking, I believe it's just a collection of 50, you're saying the Jag is on par with the Fiat. Seems like a useless list, really. Maybe should've been "50 Cars We Like" (yes, the Impreza and Evo are also on the list, but point stands)

What a silly complaint and your narrow definition for "car" is hilarious. If Top Gear wanted to a 50 greatest list for a category of cars, I'm sure they would have. If they wanted to rank it, I'm sure they would have. But the point isn't "which single car is better than all?", but rather, "what collection of cars is best?"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom