• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Automotive Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Watevaman

I want to use a non-electric, manual tire pump for a truck, what do I buy? Can I use a mountain bike pump?

Is there a reason you don't want to get a charge up one? It will take many pumps to inflate a vehicle tire with a hand pump.

But to answer your question, yes you can use a hand pump.

manual would be slower. Do you want to go slower?

?

not entirely sure what that gotta do with anything...

hmmm... looking back, i assume GT-R also does have the tiptonic thingy majig with the shifter in manual mode right?

Wonder why everyone uses those in fast furious movies over paddle shifters... maybe it just doesn't look quite as dramatic.

Nander

Another thing I noticed on the motor show is that almost every car has a chunky steering wheel now. Even the small Clio had a thick steering wheel. The only exception was the VW Polo.

That's because there is an airbag inside the steering wheel.

N-Bomb

?

not entirely sure what that gotta do with anything...

hmmm... looking back, i assume GT-R also does have the tiptonic thingy majig with the shifter in manual mode right?

Wonder why everyone uses those in fast furious movies over paddle shifters... maybe it just doesn't look quite as dramatic.

Paddle shifters originated in F1, and that's really where they should have stayed.

Ty4on

Just a way to wrangle more money out of people for expensive repairs.

Buttons are expensive to repair now? :p

Paddle shifters cost literally nothing to add to an auto/SMG/DSG and you can shift without taking your hands off the wheel. Not a huge gain, but I don't see why it'd be a loss.

Paddle shifters cost literally nothing to add to an auto/SMG/DSG and you can shift without taking your hands off the wheel. Not a huge gain, but I don't see why it'd be a loss.

Have you looked at how they work compared to a traditional manual or automatic gearbox?

The Porsche setup costs something around 20k to replace on a 911.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Didn't quite a few of these catch fire after getting submerged during hurricane Sandy?

320 cars were simply destroyed at the delivery port during the hurricane. It effectively ruined the entire company and caused their demise. The demand for the cars was pretty high. But a $32M loss for a company that had a DOE loan of $250M to pay off was a crippling blow.

There's quite a few of them in my area, surprisingly. But Tesla's reign supreme. I think it's a shame, but I'm hopeful they will soon be scooped up and relaunched.

The automatics in the Charger and the Challenger definitely have "auto-stick" I believe they call it.

I might needa rewatch fast 5 or w/e again, i swear you see some clutch action too lol.

i'm pretty sure even corollas have those these tiptonic thingies days. do people actually use them irl?

No Love

Banned
I might needa rewatch fast 5 or w/e again, i swear you see some clutch action too lol.

i'm pretty sure even corollas have those these tiptonic thingies days. do people actually use them irl?

Tiptronic automatic is not the same as a dual-clutch or higher end automatic, ala Porsche PDK, BMW's M-DCT, Lexus IS-F 8 speed, etc...

Tiptronic in an automatic is just an automatic transmission which lets you change the gear logic to upshift or downshift.

ascii42

Since the dawn of automatics, they've had ways to keep them in lower gears. I imagine manumatic paddle shifters are most used for the same reason as before (usually to keep the car in a lower gear when going down a steep hill, or something, or to start the car in second if there's snow). My Malibu has "TapShift" as Chevy likes to call it. I've used it, but really only to try it out. I don't live in an area with steep hills or snow so I've never used the low range gears in my Olds or my Riviera, either.

Ty4on

Have you looked at how they work compared to a traditional manual or automatic gearbox?

The Porsche setup costs something around 20k to replace on a 911.

Use a different word than paddle shifters so I know what you're talking about. Tons of regular automatics out there with paddles.

I hate calling an automated manual or double clutch an automatic. It's a manual controlled by a computer and not a gearbox working in a completely different way like a regular automatic.
Since the dawn of automatics, they've had ways to keep them in lower gears. I imagine manumatic paddle shifters are most used for the same reason as before (usually to keep the car in a lower gear when going down a steep hill, or something, or to start the car in second if there's snow). My Malibu has "TapShift" as Chevy likes to call it. I've used it, but really only to try it out. I don't live in an area with steep hills or snow so I've never used the low range gears in my Olds or my Riviera, either.

I think in some of the early 2 speed automatics drive engaged the second gear while low engaged the first gear because you'd make a much better acceleration starting in low. Really fascinating how they used a complex system of oil pressure to change gears.

Ty4on

Do modern cars even have 1st/2nd gear in the autos? Most i've seen just have D as the bottomest one on the shifter.

You put it in manual shift and select first or second.
Super cheap cars may only have D or D and L, but the cars that used to have all the gears lined up now only have a shift gate.
beastpower-alpina-e34-sk1-p.jpg
$(KGrHqZHJDQE7y9+vCcpBPGU!zddh!~~60_35.JPG

ascii42

I think in some of the early 2 speed automatics drive engaged the second gear while low engaged the first gear because you'd make a much better acceleration starting in low. Really fascinating how they used a complex system of oil pressure to change gears.

Chevy's PowerGlide and Buick's Dynaflow did that. Ford's early automatics may have, but I'm not sure. Just used the torque converter to help assist acceleration while in drive. Not the most efficient thing ever, but it worked.

AlphaSnake

People...

Tiptronic = VW/Porsche/Audi automatic transmissions. It is NOT a general term for shifting an automatic manually.

Paddle shifters (not shifty thingies, or tiptonic thinga majigs, or whatever the fuck) are also perfectly fine, and perfectly fun. And yes, on more powerful cars, they are used. I use it on my Jaguar frequently to make a pass or to drive spiritedly through some twists.

People...

Tiptronic = VW/Porsche/Audi automatic transmissions. It is NOT a general term for shifting an automatic manually.

Paddle shifters (not shifty thingies, or tiptonic thinga majigs, or whatever the fuck) are also perfectly fine, and perfectly fun. And yes, on more powerful cars, they are used. I use it on my Jaguar frequently to make a pass or to drive spiritedly through some twists.

When the car is designed around them they're not so bad, but I've driven some where the automatic transmission is so apathetic to the inputs from the paddle shifters that it's more frustrating using them than not.

Hell, even in some powerful luxury cars I've driven with them I'd rather just keep it in automatic. That moment of lag between hitting the button and the transmission realizing it should be doing something is bothersome.

PS - Long story short, manual shift for lyfe

ascii42

People...

True. Tiptronic just happened to be the first, so it sort of became genericized, like Kleenex, Coke, Xerox...

I think "manumatic" is the accepted general term.

AlphaSnake

When the car is designed around them they're not so bad, but I've driven some where the automatic transmission is so apathetic to the inputs from the paddle shifters that it's more frustrating using them than not.

Hell, even in some powerful luxury cars I've driven with them I'd rather just keep it in automatic. That moment of lag between hitting the button and the transmission realizing it should be doing something is bothersome.

PS - Long story short, manual shift for lyfe

This isn't true anymore. I love manuals as much as the next guy...hell, I'm probably keeping my Z when my F-Type V8S Coupe arrives next year. But ZF has been producing some of the best conventional automatics money can buy.

The ZF 6-speed gearboxes in my old 335i and in my Jaguar were absolutely sensational. The ZF 8-speed units supplied to 2013+ Jaguars (F-Types, especially), BMWs (any with the sport transmission upgrade), and Audis (A6s, A7s and A8s with sport packs) are being compared to dual clutches. That kind of praise is superb and shows how far conventional autos have come in the past 3 years.

This isn't true anymore. I love manuals as much as the next guy...hell, I'm probably keeping my Z when my F-Type V8S Coupe arrives next year. But ZF has been producing some of the best conventional automatics money can buy.

The ZF 6-speed gearboxes in my old 335i and in my Jaguar were absolutely sensational. The ZF 8-speed units supplied to 2013+ Jaguars (F-Types, especially), BMWs (any with the sport transmission upgrade), and Audis (A6s, A7s and A8s with sport packs) are being compared to dual clutches. That kind of praise is superb and shows how far conventional autos have come in the past 3 years.

The ZF box in the F-Type is nuts isn't it? Smooth as silk and super responsive. Jaguar claim it shifts as fast as Porsche's PDK, 200 ms or something.

No Love

Banned

I found the 8 speed auto in the Lexus IS-F to be superb. Super responsive, great shift logic, shifts really fast. Hard to believe it's an automatic.

AlphaSnake

The ZF box in the F-Type is nuts isn't it? Smooth as silk and super responsive. Jaguar claim it shifts as fast as Porsche's PDK, 200 ms or something.

It is quite something. All of the supercharged Jags use the same transmission, so that includes the F-Type, the XK-R, XK-RS, XF Supercharged, XF-R, XF-RS, XJ Supercharged and XJR. Who would've thought 5 years ago Jaguar would be making the most exciting performance super sedans and coupes on the road? Not to mention the lightest. An XJR (which is by default a long wheelbase car) weighs 4140lbs. A comparable Audi S8 (which is also an aluminum chassis) weighs 4500lbs. For a car of that stature, that is one hell of a curb weight.

I found the 8 speed auto in the Lexus IS-F to be superb. Super responsive, great shift logic, shifts really fast. Hard to believe it's an automatic.

Yes, it's good...for a Toyota. But if you haven't sampled the 8-speed ZF box in its sportiest offerings, the IS-F is only decent by comparison.

N-Bomb

You put it in manual shift and select first or second.
Super cheap cars may only have D or D and L, but the cars that used to have all the gears lined up now only have a shift gate.
beastpower-alpina-e34-sk1-p.jpg
$(KGrHqZHJDQE7y9+vCcpBPGU!zddh!~~60_35.JPG

LOL at trying to camouflage the autostick as a manual shifter. C7 Celica had paddle shifters on the auto model. Glad I never had to deal with those. :\

If I wanted to shift by button, I would play Gran Turismo or Forza. Or drive one of those way old cars with the buttons for the different auto gears/settings.

Let's remember these are mostly going on street cars. Seems that where luxury sports cars used to be aimed at the road performance crowd, they're now being made specifically with the track in mind, which is why they're moving away from manuals. On the road, a few hundredths of a second shifting doesn't matter.

Maybe this is a new Old White Guy thing - to buy a fancy car and drive it on a country club track?

Let's remember these are mostly going on street cars. Seems that where luxury sports cars used to be aimed at the road performance crowd, they're now being made specifically with the track in mind, which is why they're moving away from manuals. On the road, a few hundredths of a second shifting doesn't matter.

It's just a better way to do automatics. No sense in having a lazy old slushbox when you can have one that shifts quickly. It also costs money to integrate manual boxes into the car's system, which is becoming less sensible due to the small percentage of cars sold with manuals, especially in the luxury market.

The obsession with going faster and faster is really obnoxious, though.

TCRS

Banned
I just built my dream S-Class. Dark blue exterior, brown leather inside. And with all the extras thrown in the price was a cool 145.000€.

I love configurators, perfect tool for daydreaming.

Ty4on

LOL at trying to camouflage the autostick as a manual shifter. C7 Celica had paddle shifters on the auto model. Glad I never had to deal with those. :\

If I wanted to shift by button, I would play Gran Turismo or Forza. Or drive one of those way old cars with the buttons for the different auto gears/settings.

Maybe this is a new Old White Guy thing - to buy a fancy car and drive it on a country club track?

Again, they're just two buttons. Automatic gearboxes have been electronically controlled since the 1980s/1990s and they've just added a button to control it. It costs absolutely nothing, gives clueless people bragging rights and if you want more control over your shifting it is way easier than maneuvering through the maze of L,2,D3,D4,M....
The gearbox is exactly the same as a regular automatic.
It is annoying though to see people list them as manuals on used car sites T_T
do most luxury sedans have paddles? Or just the sports trim?
Hardly any automatic these days comes without a way of shifting it manually. Even trucks have them. All automatics today are controlled by a computer so it's just a matter of adding some buttons.
Chevy's PowerGlide and Buick's Dynaflow did that. Ford's early automatics may have, but I'm not sure. Just used the torque converter to help assist acceleration while in drive. Not the most efficient thing ever, but it worked.
They really didn't care about fuel economy back then :p

Fascinating to see that some were proper four speeds though. Still kinda blows my mind they managed to make a fully automatic gearbox in the 40s and 50s. Would love to try one just for fun.

EekTheKat

Damn it.

Took the car to a local detailing shop, hoping to get wax done, and they immediately pointed out the "sloppy" work done by the Clear Bra installer I took my car to.

Some streaks are visible on the hood, stretch marks on one of the side panels. Now according to them however the only person that should take the Clear Bra off should be the original installer. Some edges are not properly wrapped, and they used a pattern that's apparently a bit too small for some areas of the car.

Not sure if I want to get it touched up/redone again, but the guy said he'll stand by his work. Might ask him to do a 2 for 1 and get some tints on the windows while he touches up the clear-bra. It could also be this new shop trying to sell me on their work instead, as some of these imperfections are apparently normal on some clear bra installs. They just show up more prominently on a black car.

On the bright side, my new front license plate assembly arrived from Canada. Near as I can tell there were only 2 or 3 no drill solutions to a front license plate for a GTR, and the Canada one was the only one that didn't require messing around with super glue.

I also found that there's exactly 1 gas station that sells fuel above 91 octane in my area. Might be a placebo effect but the car felt more responsive with 4 gallons of 100 octane mixed in with whatever the dealer put in it before. Current plan is to do a mix of 91 and 100 octane to get around the 93 ballpark.

But man, this car is a huge pain in the ass, though oddly enough most of it has more to do with the state of California than the car itself. It's still a damn fun ride however.

No Love

Banned
Damn it.

Took the car to a local detailing shop, hoping to get wax done, and they immediately pointed out the "sloppy" work done by the Clear Bra installer I took my car to.

Some streaks are visible on the hood, stretch marks on one of the side panels. Now according to them however the only person that should take the Clear Bra off should be the original installer. Some edges are not properly wrapped, and they used a pattern that's apparently a bit too small for some areas of the car.

Not sure if I want to get it touched up/redone again, but the guy said he'll stand by his work. Might ask him to do a 2 for 1 and get some tints on the windows while he touches up the clear-bra. It could also be this new shop trying to sell me on their work instead, as some of these imperfections are apparently normal on some clear bra installs. They just show up more prominently on a black car.

On the bright side, my new front license plate assembly arrived from Canada. Near as I can tell there were only 2 or 3 no drill solutions to a front license plate for a GTR, and the Canada one was the only one that didn't require messing around with super glue.

I also found that there's exactly 1 gas station that sells fuel above 91 octane in my area. Might be a placebo effect but the car felt more responsive with 4 gallons of 100 octane mixed in with whatever the dealer put in it before. Current plan is to do a mix of 91 and 100 octane to get around the 93 ballpark.

But man, this car is a huge pain in the ass, though oddly enough most of it has more to do with the state of California than the car itself. It's still a damn fun ride however.

See if you have E85 in your area (not sure how Canada is on E85). With just a couple mods and an E85 tune, you can add about 150-170 whp over stock lol. Most stock turbo GTR's get 550-600 whp + 550/600 wtq on E85 no problem. That's a massive increase over stock. If I decide to pick up a GTR sometime, first thing I'm doing the first week is doing midpipe, downpipe, intakes and an E85 tune on that badboy lol.

Also, clear bra installs are hit or miss. You usually get what you pay for on those. :(

No Love

Banned
Seriously man, not every car needs an E85 tune lol.

GTR's do. Just the E85 tune alone on a bone stock GTR picks up 100-120+ whp. That's a ton of power and torque just sitting there on the table. And E85 is a LOT safer than shitty 91 pump gas.

*starts bathing in E85* FOUNTAIN OF YOUTH I TELL YA

kehs

Banned
Damn it.

That's not surprising. I do some sign work, which is basically the same type of materials, and I don't go near removing vinyl from cars. When I do, I make it really really clear that I'm not responsible for any paint damage that will happen from the removal. You never know what kind of materials other people use for things. I'm sure the detailing shop doesn't wan to be responsible for repainting a bumper (~$300) for the few bucks they would charge on removal labor.

Ty4on

GTR's do. Just the E85 tune alone on a bone stock GTR picks up 100-120+ whp. That's a ton of power and torque just sitting there on the table. And E85 is a LOT safer than shitty 91 pump gas.

Can E85 increase performance in N/A cars? I suppose it could be great for 98 (European octane numbers, 95 is regular) only cars.

Seems like it could make sense when regular is 50% more expensive.

Hey guys, could you suggest a radio receiver for a 1998 Eldorado? Bluetooth and USB would be nice. I'm having trouble finding one that looks nice and is affordable.

EekTheKat

lol damn, it took me a while to locate the nearest 100 octane station in the area that's not shut down or stopped selling the stuff.

Interesting thing about GTR's is that the newer models are apparently extremely prone to go into limp mode even on 93 octane (least according to other owners). Apparently it's a mapping issue and it can be corrected with a new ECU mapping. Guess I have my local state/regulators to thank for the water downed fuel around here lol.

I'm still a total noob to this scene, but it's fascinating learning about this stuff. As such I'm still treading lightly before committing to any heavy modifications at the moment.

I'll have to look it up a bit more about E85 in a GTR, near as I can tell I'll need the proper mapping uploaded to the car and just make sure the fuel lines don't corrode. Without the ECU mapping done it's apparently not as explosive as it should be running on E85.

That being said, I think there is an E85 station in my area, and it's still a ways out. Will have to make sure they're still around before doing a tune for E85.

There's a full aftermarket E85 kit out there I think, but it's way out of my expertise to install/do something like that myself, so I'll probably have to find a local shop that can handle it if I got that route.

Think I'm totally the wrong kind of driver for this car though - I actually like the stock look of the car. Some of the shops I took it to looked at me as if I'm some kind of weirdo for not ripping out all the stock parts and immediately bolting on aftermarket bits.

Some parts like the extended lips look really weird and out of place without having other bits replaced as well. Given my clear bra install didn't go quite as planned, I'm a bit reluctant to go to a shop to have the spoiler and the skits replaced.

Though there are apparently near OEM apperance dry carbon lips with brake ducts that are considerably more subtle, and it's apparently a fairly easy part to install as it's just a straight replacement.

EekTheKat

That's not surprising. I do some sign work, which is basically the same type of materials, and I don't go near removing vinyl from cars. When I do, I make it really really clear that I'm not responsible for any paint damage that will happen from the removal. You never know what kind of materials other people use for things. I'm sure the detailing shop doesn't wan to be responsible for repainting a bumper (~$300) for the few bucks they would charge on removal labor.

Yeah the detailer did tell me that straight out that he didn't want to be responsible for any paint damage from removing the clear bra, and that it would be best to take it back to the original installer. He asked if I wanted to apply sealant or something on the bits where I had it installed, the downside being that if I take it back to the original clear bra installer he may see it as someone else working on it if the sealant leaves some residue on the non-wrapped edges.

The car's had about 2 weeks to cure now, and there's still some streaks and small marks visible on some clear bra bits. I think this may be a no-win situation here and I may have to just live with some streaking/uneven wrapped edges vs. removing it and getting it re-done over and over again. Least I know when I hear some rocks hit the car that I'm still in relatively good condition.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom