• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Automotive Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
The Saturn Sky Redline and Solstice GXP were both pretty bad ass little things that had a great punch with tunable drivetrains.

They're extremely rare too and worth coin. I think only a few hundred of each car were ever made before both brands were axed.

kehs

Banned
Thanks for the input dudes, I still can't imagine a use for those engine braking modes though. heh. =/

Think the wife is going to pick up one of the 2014 Corollas next week. She has been driving her 98 Corolla for a decade now and it is time for her to finally get something new for her short commute.

It's a pretty nice car, almost bought a slightly used 2013 and had the sales dude pull out a 2014 for shits and giggles, and ended up with it.

ascii42

The Saturn Sky Redline and Solstice GXP were both pretty bad ass little things that had a great punch with tunable drivetrains.

They're extremely rare too and worth coin. I think only a few hundred of each car were ever made before both brands were axed.
No there were way more than that. According to this there were over 13000 Solstice GXPs and 12000 Sky Red Lines produced. The Solstice coupes, on the other hand, are quite rare.

No Love

Banned
No there were way more than that. According to this there were over 13000 Solstice GXPs and 12000 Sky Red Lines produced. The Solstice coupes, on the other hand, are quite rare.

It's the 2010 model year where there were only a handful made.

A few weeks ago I actually saw a Solstice coupe driving on the freeway in LA. I had to do a double take... never ever seen one before and couldn't believe my eyes. I wish I had taken a picture. I'll probably never see another one again, those are UBER rare.

AlphaSnake

Sorry, I meant the GXP coupe. But I always thought the Saturn Sky Redline was extremely rare regardless...that's interesting.

The other ultra rare Pontiac, of course, would be the G8 GXP.

What can I say? She loves it.

You seriously just need to have her drive some other cars, I can't think of a good reason to buy a modern Corolla over any of the other economy cars.

Thanks for the input dudes, I still can't imagine a use for those engine braking modes though. heh. =/

If you're going down a really long, steep-ish hill, you can engage the engine braking and won't have to use your actual brakes anywhere near as much. Riding the brakes down a long hill can cause them to heat up quite a bit, which will rob you of a lot of braking power.

Was the corolla the first thing she tested?

I think you'd fall in love with just about any car if you drive a 98 corolla atm.

Heck a brz even feels fast compare to my prizm.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
We will go test drive the Mazda3 (I do like the look of the 5-door) next week but we have also been testing other cars and not just a Corolla, so don't fear folks.

AlphaSnake

Every time somebody buys a Corolla, a bunny, kitten, and puppy are slaughtered somewhere in China.

Every time you buy a car that isn't as shitty as a Corolla, those 3 animals are saved and taken care of by a loving family.

Ty4on

Googled the 2014 Corolla and wow... Wonder why the USDM Corolla looks so boring compared to the Auris (Corolla's new name in Europe, separate brand in Japan and basically the same car is sold with the Corolla badge in Australia). The Auris isn't even very pretty, but the Corolla just looks like a 90s compact with some somewhat modern design cues.
2014-Toyota-Corolla-S-front.jpg

toyota-auris-touring-sports-coming-soon-2013-01-full_tcm308-1173005.jpg

Googled the 2014 Corolla and wow... Wonder why the USDM Corolla looks so boring compared to the Auris (Corolla's new name in Europe, separate brand in Japan and basically the same car is sold with the Corolla badge in Australia). The Auris isn't even very pretty, but the Corolla just looks like a 90s compact with some somewhat modern design cues.

its the best selling car. you can only do so much without scaring people off. That shot reminds me of some busted ass saturns friends had.

screw mazda 3.

get a speed3.

the torque steer gets all the ladies wet.

No Love

Banned
We will go test drive the Mazda3 (I do like the look of the 5-door) next week but we have also been testing other cars and not just a Corolla, so don't fear folks.

Go drive the Ford Focus hatch. Best small FWD car on the market IMO.

2014 Mazda3 might beat it, though. That's a beautiful car.

Actually this is another area where the Mazda 3 shines.

And the Euro Civic is light years ahead of the shitbox we currently get in the US.

A6KfZ4r.jpg

MY14_M35DOOR_INT_1_975x443.jpg

not too shabby.

you know, car interior is really the last thing on the list of stuff i care about. As long as shit is easily accessible with big distinct buttons that i can notice at a glance + a good dashboard, that's about all you need as the driver owner of a car.

ascii42

MY14_M35DOOR_INT_1_975x443.jpg

not too shabby.

you know, car interior is really the last thing on the list of stuff i care about. As long as shit is easily accessible with big distinct buttons that i can notice at a glance + a good dashboard, that's about all you need as the driver owner of a car.

Given that it's what you look at more, I think interior's more important than exterior in terms of looks. However, a decent inoffensive design is all that's really necessary. On non-luxury cars I'm not particularly concerned with material quality of things I don't touch, as long as it doesn't crack, rattle or squeak.

TCRS

Banned
Actually this is another area where the Mazda 3 shines.

And the Euro Civic is light years ahead of the shitbox we currently get in the US.

http://i.imgur.com/A6KfZ4r.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

That one has an ugly and cluttered interior though. The Mazda 3 has a much better interior. Even better: VW Golf.

Smokey

Every time somebody buys a Corolla, a bunny, kitten, and puppy are slaughtered somewhere in China.

Every time you buy a car that isn't as shitty as a Corolla, those 3 animals are saved and taken care of by a loving family.

My 04 corolla is a champ. A shitty champ but hey

TCRS

Banned

Toyota has actually brought the Corolla back to Europe, so now the Auris and Corolla are two seperate models in Toyotas european line up. The european Corolla still looks much nicer than the ugly ass US version though:

001-2014-toyota-corolla-europe.jpg

I sat in it at the Frankfurt Motor Show, I liked it.

Ty4on

Edit: ^^^^ My mistake, didn't see it in the Norwegian lineup. When the Auris was introduced it was only the hatchback while the sedan was called Corolla and I thought they had scratched the name for good. Wagons sell like hot cakes here because of their cargo capacity so I'm guessing the sedan isn't imported here.
That one has an ugly and cluttered interior though. The Mazda 3 has a much better interior. Even better: VW Golf.
c3.jpg

My God, what a cluttered interior :p

Nav screens is fugly though

Golfs have always had a boring interior, but the seven looks very nice and E39-like.

My 04 corolla is a champ. A shitty champ but hey

That's why Lexus should start making proper looking cars on the outside as well. Toyota quality that looks and (sometimes) handles pretty well.

TCRS

Banned
Well, the materials and buttons felt very cheap and look at the shapes and lines, it was very cramped! The centre console is raised and narrow and look at that.. I don't even know.. that bar on the left extending into the door and sort of hiding the buttons below it. And that in an already narrow car. Nah, I didn't like it.

The new Golf has a brilliant interior. Everything felt and looked nice and it was spacious.

vw-golf-mk7-uk-3.jpg

Edit: ^^^^ My mistake, didn't see it in the Norwegian lineup. When the Auris was introduced it was only the hatchback while the sedan was called Corolla and I thought they had scratched the name for good. Wagons sell like hot cakes here because of their cargo capacity so I'm guessing the sedan isn't imported here.

It's not on the German website either, they've announced it for 2014. You guys might still get it ;) And yeah they rebranded the Corolla to Auris for some reason, but now we've got both.

and don't get me started on ford sync or w/e its called now.

why is it so terrible?

It crashed at the demo station at the autoshow here and the guy didn't look surprised at all.

Ty4on

The new Golf has a brilliant interior. Everything felt and looked nice and it was spacious.

vw-golf-mk7-uk-3.jpg

Why didn't I see this before? Plastics look better on the golf, but the design is really similar to the 2000-2009 (?) S60.

It's the first car I drove alone as I moved it for my driving instructor right after passing the test. I sadly never spent much time checking out much of the interior because I had to do other stuff and I mostly drove an XC60. Only buttons I touched in that short drive were for cruise control because I had never tried it before, but I turned off the minute I felt the car accelerate by itself in city traffic :p

Interior is really important for me for whatever reason. Cars are sort of like homes to me and I really like long car rides I guess.
and don't get me started on ford sync or w/e its called now.

why is it so terrible?

It crashed at the demo station at the autoshow here and the guy didn't look surprised at all.

Car makers... Jaguar and Land Rover's systems probably wouldn't have looked out of place on a 2000 model :/
Range%20Rover%20Evoque%20(2)-580-90.JPG

TylerD

Greetings from West Texas autoGAF! I have probably driven about 40 miles in 2 weeks.

This area is so convenient for walking. A coworker has already offered up his garagedriveway if I need it to work on my car so that concern has been put to rest.

I got much more of a rise watching that i8 video than the "The Ferraris" running around the track. That i8 looks sick.

TylerD

Wait, what the fuck? Texas has areas convenient for walking?!

My apartment is a 3 min walk from my office. I have a grocery store, super Target, and gym within half a mile. A couple of restaurants too. I have been driving a little bit but haven't had to much.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
My apartment is a 3 min walk from my office. I have a grocery store, super Target, and gym within half a mile. A couple of restaurants too. I have been driving a little bit but haven't had to much.

Have you ever pooped yourself whenever you teleport to your city of work?

N-Bomb

Sounds like something a Pontiac PR stooge would've said back when the Solstice was released :lol

The Solstice still LOOKS like it should be good. And that Saturn thing too.

I actually saw one in the middle of downtown Amsterdam. Pontiac never sold outside of North Am, did it? Was neat to see one, anyway.

Artega actually sold some cars?

Yup! Production was limited to under 500 a year, so less than 2000 for sure. Beautiful car. Gorgeous.

TCRS

Banned
Another thing I noticed on the motor show is that almost every car has a chunky steering wheel now. Even the small Clio had a thick steering wheel. The only exception was the VW Polo.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Another thing I noticed on the motor show is that almost every car has a chunky steering wheel now. Even the small Clio had a thick steering wheel. The only exception was the VW Polo.

Which is why I'm buying this...

phQTqzX.jpg

AlphaSnake

So I have some fun yesterday with two friends of mine...one has a RWD 335i 6MT and the other a 2012 S4 7-DCT. The 335i was stock, but the S4 was stage 2 - GIAC tune, DSG tune, AWE exhaust, and APR intake.

The car I used? The Jaguar.

Absolutely demolished the BMW, which didn't surprise me much.

What did surprise me was putting a car length on a pretty modded B8 S4. I was expecting to get walked, turns out...I was wrong.

No replacement for displacement.

ascii42

It has come to signify body styling instead of door count.

Officially, I believe a coupe has less than 33 cubic feet of rear passenger volume (if any). A sedan has more than that. As such, along with 4 door coupes, there is such a thing as 2 door sedans (The Chevy Monte Carlo is a good example).

It has come to signify body styling instead of door count.

Officially, I believe a coupe has less than 33 cubic feet of rear passenger volume (if any). A sedan has more than that. As such, along with 4 door coupes, there is such a thing as 2 door sedans (The Chevy Monte Carlo is a good example).

So it is more a dimensions thing. A bit weird though. They should just called it a compact sedan or something like that.

watching fast 6.... so weird how the series started from a tuner thingy and now we have Walker drive a stock R35 now.

I assume GT-R doesn't come with a manual right? Or just silly movie shifting?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom