• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Automotive Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

No Love

Banned
Can E85 increase performance in N/A cars? I suppose it could be great for 98 (European octane numbers, 95 is regular) only cars.

Seems like it could make sense when regular is 50% more expensive.

Yes, E85 does make more power in NA cars depending on the size of the motor. I've seen LS7's from the C6 Z06 pick up 30-50 whp vs pump gas. E85 lets you run shitloads of timing so the car is wayyy more responsive and the torque curve goes up accordingly. I plan to run my Z06 on E85 in the next month or two once I acquire it. E85 is great stuff for high revving motors especially.

lol damn, it took me a while to locate the nearest 100 octane station in the area that's not shut down or stopped selling the stuff.

Interesting thing about GTR's is that the newer models are apparently extremely prone to go into limp mode even on 93 octane (least according to other owners). Apparently it's a mapping issue and it can be corrected with a new ECU mapping. Guess I have my local state/regulators to thank for the water downed fuel around here lol.

I'm still a total noob to this scene, but it's fascinating learning about this stuff. As such I'm still treading lightly before committing to any heavy modifications at the moment.

I'll have to look it up a bit more about E85 in a GTR, near as I can tell I'll need the proper mapping uploaded to the car and just make sure the fuel lines don't corrode. Without the ECU mapping done it's apparently not as explosive as it should be running on E85.

That being said, I think there is an E85 station in my area, and it's still a ways out. Will have to make sure they're still around before doing a tune for E85.

There's a full aftermarket E85 kit out there I think, but it's way out of my expertise to install/do something like that myself, so I'll probably have to find a local shop that can handle it if I got that route.

Think I'm totally the wrong kind of driver for this car though - I actually like the stock look of the car. Some of the shops I took it to looked at me as if I'm some kind of weirdo for not ripping out all the stock parts and immediately bolting on aftermarket bits.

Some parts like the extended lips look really weird and out of place without having other bits replaced as well. Given my clear bra install didn't go quite as planned, I'm a bit reluctant to go to a shop to have the spoiler and the skits replaced.

Though there are apparently near OEM apperance dry carbon lips with brake ducts that are considerably more subtle, and it's apparently a fairly easy part to install as it's just a straight replacement.

For E85 all you really need is fuel pumps, injectors, and a tune. You can also have a 91 map so you can switch back and forth at will in case you can't get E85 when you're running low on fuel.

No Love

Banned
So. Assuming I can find one in decent shape, what do you think the chances of a $500 Miata lasting through the winter are?

Put all-seasons or snow tires on that bitch and practice your right foot throttle control and you should be good. Hell, since you'll be driving slow as hell, at least any potential crash wouldn't be too bad at 20-30 mph lol. Although I'd also say that it's probably pretty damn unsafe if someone else hits you, NA Miatas are tin cans.

N-Bomb

Put all-seasons or snow tires on that bitch and practice your right foot throttle control and you should be good. Hell, since you'll be driving slow as hell, at least any potential crash wouldn't be too bad at 20-30 mph lol. Although I'd also say that it's probably pretty damn unsafe if someone else hits you, NA Miatas are tin cans.

My thinking is it might be cheaper than buying new winters for my scooby, plus I don't want to drive the Scoob in the snow and salt until it's been repainted and rust-fixed. :\

No Love

Banned
My thinking is it might be cheaper than buying new winters for my scooby, plus I don't want to drive the Scoob in the snow and salt until it's been repainted and rust-fixed. :\

How about like an old cheap Nissan Sentra or old Accord? FWD is usually safer in winter with better tires on, IMO.

N-Bomb

How about like an old cheap Nissan Sentra or old Accord? FWD is usually safer in winter with better tires on, IMO.

Yeah, but not fun. :\

Cheapest Miata I've found thus far was $1400 - way not worth it! I need one that has body damage or something.

I could get a more expensive one and resell, I suppose. But that's work I don't want to do. Rather get something I can jus junk or part out after the snow's gone.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Interesting bit about that is that BMW says weight is 80 kilos less than the old car. That is 175lbs. Not the 300 or 400 that was thrown around before. BMW is using dry weights here thus the disparity.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Interesting bit about that is that BMW says weight is 80 kilos less than the old car. That is 175lbs. Not the 300 or 400 that was thrown around before. BMW is using dry weights here thus the disparity.

Yea, and the 3,302 comes straight from the 7.68x430 calculation.

They do list the E46 M3 at 3400lbs, which was the curb weight of the car. So hopefully the 3302lbs is with fluids.

AlphaSnake

Yea, and the 3,302 comes straight from the 7.68x430 calculation.

They do list the E46 M3 at 3400lbs, which was the curb weight of the car. So hopefully the 3302lbs is with fluids.

I highly doubt it will. A 2013 E9x M3 weighs in 3700lbs base with fluids. The F30 will be 3500lbs for the US car, maybe slightly under for the European car (see Alfa Romeo 4C weight fiasco).

AlphaSnake

Also, new M3/M4 will have a standard 6MT.

Very important bit of info that I put my money on weeks ago arguing with somebody here...hmmm

No Love

Banned
Alright, let's be Top Gear for a bit and toss around a list of fun cars in the under $1000 range!

Age doesn't matter.

1990 Prelude Si 4WS

Also, new M3/M4 will have a standard 6MT.

Very important bit of info that I put my money on weeks ago arguing with somebody here...hmmm

I thought it's going to have a 7 speed manual? But yeah, no way it doesn't have MT as standard. BMW would be making a massive mistake going DCT only.

got things kinda sorted out and should be ready to get a ride october :D

Might have to get something 4 door though with grandparents moving over. So for 25-30k, what options are there for fun rides with 'umph'? focus st, speed3, wrx.

No Love

Banned

Might have to get something 4 door though with grandparents moving over. So for 25-30k, what options are there for fun rides with 'umph'? focus st, speed3, wrx.

I'd say Focus ST or WRX. Speed3 isn't as good as the ST IMO, and the WRX is pretty great for the price range. Also, the Fiesta ST is only $22k with some options and it's basically a lighter Focus ST: 500 lbs less, and about 45 less hp. Has 4 doors and is supposed to be fun as hell. I'd drive a chipped one fo sho.

Also, the lease deals on Evo X's are killer: $3k down, $250/mo for 2 years. Resale value on Evo's is sky high: 2008 Evo X's still sell for $25k... they're usually 30-35k out the door.

AlphaSnake

Haha whoever thinks a credible source would say that BMW will pull an AMG and do automatic only on M3/M4 is a drunk and should go home.

So yeah, I agree with you 100% on how 'credible' that source is ;)

The credibility of that source was moronic because there were spy videos and pics of manual trans M3s and M4s driving about. Hahaha.

Focus ST and MS3 = yes no matter what lol. Between the two it all comes down whether you want a comfortable speed demon(ST) or a legitimate "I might die while driving this thing" speed demon(MS3).

WRX = yes, if you don't mind a crappy plastic interior. Beyond that negative, the WRX is a fantastic car, plus AWD is definitely worth the price.

Reliability wise, obviously the MS3 and WRX have rock solid engines as long as you don't mess with it incorrectly. Well, that advice goes for any car really lol. Ford these days are definitely much more reliable these days than in the past. So it shouldn't be an issue.

The Fiesta ST is supposedly good as well, but at that price range, I'd be tempted to hop over to a Fiat dealership and get an Abarth instead. I've got a knack for cute and deadly cars and I think the Abarth will be a perfect complement to my Miata haha.

I'd say Focus ST or WRX. Speed3 isn't as good as the ST IMO, and the WRX is pretty great for the price range. Also, the Fiesta ST is only $22k with some options and it's basically a lighter Focus ST: 500 lbs less, and about 45 less hp. Has 4 doors and is supposed to be fun as hell. I'd drive a chipped one fo sho.

Also, the lease deals on Evo X's are killer: $3k down, $250/mo for 2 years. Resale value on Evo's is sky high: 2008 Evo X's still sell for $25k... they're usually 30-35k out the door.

Where is this deal on an Evo X?

N-Bomb

If you get a Ford. Make sure it's without MyTouch or Sync or wtf their infotainment is. It will ruin everything. Everything!

Okay, so so far my list includes an old Miata and an old Prelude. Anything else? 323 GTXs are too rare/expensive.

So. Assuming I can find one in decent shape, what do you think the chances of a $500 Miata lasting through the winter are?

In CA you would have a good chance, not sure where you are though.

I would say look for an AWD Legacy wagon to putt around in
'90-'92_Subaru_Legacy_Wagon.jpg

Subaru_Legacy_wagon_--_08-28-2009.jpg

should be able to find one sub $1k before winter hits. plus all the space for Car parts!

Alltrac previa is another good one.

If you get a Ford. Make sure it's without MyTouch or Sync or wtf their infotainment is. It will ruin everything. Everything!

Okay, so so far my list includes an old Miata and an old Prelude. Anything else? 323 GTXs are too rare/expensive.

is mytouch thing really bad? I heard that a coworker talked about how his car 'crashed' and he had to restart the OS or something. sounds insane.

N-Bomb

I'm looking.

In CA you would have a good chance, not sure where you are though.

I would say look for an AWD Legacy wagon to putt around in

should be able to find one sub $1k before winter hits. plus all the space for Car parts!

Alltrac previa is another good one.

Good idea @ the old scoobies - NO MINIVANS D:

is mytouch thing really bad? I heard that a coworker talked about how his car 'crashed' and he had to restart the OS or something. sounds insane.

Yep. Car crashing in a new way.

C'mon N-Bomb, get with the program.

I'm looking, I'm looking.

Edit:

325e for $750!!

Is this not the best ad you've ever seen?

It begins with "My boys bought this car without my approval..."

how are modern ford in terms of reliability? Never really looked at them favorably because my dad's late 90's taurus was a huge piece of turd.

What a timely question. I just got back from a full day automotive warranty related conference (I work in that field). One of the speakers was talking about the warranty spend of car companies as a percentage of their total revenue**. Lowest was Honda, but the new second is Ford. (Though they are neck and neck with Toyota, who had a spike in their spend in the last few years).

**No data for Chrysler or Nissan included. But I would wager Chrysler is not on the better side of that chart.

No Love

Banned
What a timely question. I just got back from a full day automotive warranty related conference (I work in that field). One of the speakers was talking about the warranty spend of car companies as a percentage of their total revenue**. Lowest was Honda, but the new second is Ford. (Though they are neck and neck with Toyota, who had a spike in their spend in the last few years).

**No data for Chrysler or Nissan included. But I would wager Chrysler is not on the better side of that chart.

Incredibly useful data to have, thank you very much!

No Love

Banned
Can anyone offer suggestions on what kind of Z06 to get?

I'd ideally like to grab a low mileage '09 (since it has worthy upgrades, especially to the oiling system), but for a bit less I can also get an 06-07 (lightest Z06)) with mods, usually around 530-550 whp and the valve guide issue fixed.

I'm leaning towards the '09 personally?

Just got my BRZ! Where do I display the temporary tag?

Edit 1: Put it in the rear windshield using cling film.

Edit 2: I love the gauge sweep! Like a POST for my car.

d9Rp25n.gif

Interesting. 'new second', what was Ford in before?

Just got my BRZ! Where do I display the temporary tag?

Edit 1: Put it in the rear windshield using cling film.

Edit 2: I love the gauge sweep! Like a POST for my car.

d9Rp25n.gif

scoobies is all about the tach dance.

I still find the speedo to be utterly pointless on the left when there is a digital one in the center though. Surely that space could be used for something else more useful?

Interesting. 'new second', what was Ford in before?

A good comparison would be from before the recession (which was when Toyota's recall problems started). Honda, Toyota were at 1.5%, Ford, GM at 2.5% and Daimler, VW around 4-5%. The last few years, Ford's spend was lower than Toyota but Toyota's recall costs on a couple of models skewed that number and was not a good indication of overall quality.

Now, Honda are at about 0.5%, Ford, Toyota at 1.5%, GM, Daimler at 2.5% and VW at 3.5%.

scoobies is all about the tach dance.

I still find the speedo to be utterly pointless on the left when there is a digital one in the center though. Surely that space could be used for something else more useful?

ascii42

I'd ideally like to grab a low mileage '09 (since it has worthy upgrades, especially to the oiling system), but for a bit less I can also get an 06-07 (lightest Z06)) with mods, usually around 530-550 whp and the valve guide issue fixed.

Not an expert on Z06s here, but it seems like the '09 makes the most sense. I personally don't think I'd want to buy a car that somebody else modded (unless I knew the person, I suppose).

No Love

Banned
Not an expert on Z06s here, but it seems like the '09 makes the most sense. I personally don't think I'd want to buy a car that somebody else modded (unless I knew the person, I suppose).

Yeah I figure a bone stock slate is best to start with.

Now for the biggest choice... JetStream Blue or Cyber Gray?

3066138640_eb4d73cfed_b.jpg

43-1.jpg

06. OHV engine so valve guides are easy to do. Save that extra cash.

Get the Dark Blue.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
So, I'm thinking of getting a car with a stick shift so I can learn that dying art. Would a Fiat 500 Abarth be easy to drive for gear shifting newbs?

Mine is a 2011 Z06 with Z07 package. However, that year there was an option to get the Z07 packaged without the ZR1 style front lip/spoiler/side skirts so outside of the rims and giant brakes, it looks like a Z06. The interior is just a base 1LT which is what I wanted to avoid electrical gremlins which tend to creep up on higher "tech" packages.

The other reason I went with a newer year is so I can still have a warranty on it. I don't care to mod cars. i rather spend the money on tires and trackdays while still having a car under warranty. The only mod I'd do is a proper seat.

If you do go with an older model, I suggest getting one has GMPP extended warranty.

Mine is a CyberGray with black interior. I posted pics in this thread a while back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom