• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Automotive Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guys guys we all know that the 370z is the best car of the past 20 years.

n5UL7.gif

I had a wreck last year that completely totaled my car. Wasnt my fault but dealing with the other guys insurance (geico) was more pleasant than dealing with my own. Plus they quickly handed me a check worth a few grand more than what I would get if I sold it on the market.

You've been had.

It's simply a marketing strategy; grass is greener on the other side type of thing to try to get you to switch.

Like how cell phone companies offer promotional discounts to new customers, but don't give the same discounts to existing customers.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
"Top 50 Best Cars" so without any ranking, I believe it's just a collection of 50, you're saying the Jag is on par with the Fiat. Seems like a useless list, really. Maybe should've been "50 Cars We Like" (yes, the Impreza and Evo are also on the list, but point stands)

This is such a dumb post it hurts my head to attempt to comprehend your rationale and how you come up with this train of thought.

N-Bomb

How is the Miata not one of the greatest 50 cars of the last 20 years?

What a silly complaint and your narrow definition for "car" is hilarious. If Top Gear wanted to a 50 greatest list for a category of cars, I'm sure they would have. If they wanted to rank it, I'm sure they would have. But the point isn't "which single car is better than all?", but rather, "what collection of cars is best?"

I'm not complaining about the Miata.

This is such a dumb post it hurts my head to attempt to comprehend your rationale and how you come up with this train of thought.

The list seems to me more like clickbait or cover-hyperbole than a real useful collection of anything. Especially after all they bagged on the Multipla - although maybe that was an in-joke.

And the choices of the X5 and the A2? In a greatest car list?! But it's got your favourite car in it.

I think the issue with the Top Gear list is that because the parameters are pretty vague, gloating or celebrating your car of choice showing up on the list isn't exactly that big of a deal.

It's like some random IMDB user's list of their 50 favorite movies; Fuck yeah, Schindler's List is on there!

Also, I just realized the list was either fully or partially determined by online votes:

Over 100,000 of you voted in our online poll, helping us to count down the 50 greatest cars of the past 20 years and crown the winner.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
I'm not complaining about the Miata.

The list seems to me more like clickbait or cover-hyperbole than a real useful collection of anything. Especially after all they bagged on the Multipla - although maybe that was an in-joke.

And the choices of the X5 and the A2? In a greatest car list?! But it's got your favourite car in it.

This is Top Gear Magazine...not the show.

The magazine has a staff of like 20 writers, with the show presenters being the occasional contributors who aren't part of that count.

Any suggestions for a car I can buy for around $5,000-$8,000 that I can get with a stick, and where I'll be able to find for sale in Southern California with less than 100,000 miles on the odo? Preferably RWD?

Car, not truck or van. I'm not really interested in convertibles so Miata is out. I don't know enough about BMWs to know what I'm looking for. 318 is crap but 328 ok?

Well are you looking for a daily driver, most horsepower for your buck, something utilitarian, or some mix of those?

Mustang GT, SVT Cobra and an early C5 Corvette if you wants lots of power. E36 3-Series or a G35 if you want a bit more luxury. There's lot of wagons in that price range from the 90s as well if you want more utility.

Needs to be a daily driver. I think my biggest limiting factor is something with less than 100k miles that I. can get for less than $8000. That takes the G35 out of the question unless it's on a salvage title, for example.

Needs to be a daily driver. I think my biggest limiting factor is something with less than 100k miles that I. can get for less than $8000. That takes the G35 out of the question unless it's on a salvage title, for example.

Out in California you should be able to get a pretty good mid 90s 325/328 for under $8k. Take a few minutes reading the wikis on mid 90s BMWs to learn a little bit about them and check the local craigslist ads to see what you can get for that price.

They're pretty nice to drive and have the amenities you'd expect for a good DD. Maintenance is a little more expensive but they're robust cars. I don't know how they're audio systems are, but I'm sure you could do something for that and still be well under $8000.

The only other cars that pop into my mind at that price are Mustangs, Corvettes, etc. Oh, an old Lexus SC300 (the SC400 didn't offer a manual), but I bet finding one with less than 100,000 miles will be a challenge.

TCRS

Banned
Just came back from the Frankfurt Motor Show (or IAA as it's known here). Sorry no pictures, I didn't have a cam, couldn't borrow one and I didn't want to use up my phone battery.

First I have to say I'm glad I got up early. Although it was the middle of the week there were so many people from noon, it was crazy. At 9 o' clock there were still a lot of people but not as much that you couldn't sit in cars. After 12, forget Mercedes, forget Porsche, Audi etc.

So the first one was Mercedes. I sat in the new S-Class. Goddamn, I was overwhelmed by the luxury, it's crazy. Also sat in the drivers seat, I love the steering wheel. The Mercedes hall was very nice, they put on a nice show with driving the cars out etc. The S-Class Coupe is a sexy beast. I also saw the current F1 mercedes car.

Next was Audi. This is the first time I sat in any of the new Audis (I sat in the A1, A3, A6 and A8), and everything they say about Audis interior quality is true. It just feels so nice and it's very satisfying to press the buttons and levers and the doors close with a nice clunck. I personally really liked the A1 and A3 as an somewhat affordable car. But the A8 was quite something.

Next up was the whole Volkswagen group hall (Audi had built their own hall just outside the VW one). I fucking love the Golf VII, it feels so nice. Clutch and gear shifts are so easy. This was also the first time I sat in my dream car the Porsche 911 Carrera 4.. HHNNNGGGG!! IT WAS SO NICE! I ignored Skoda cause I don't like them, but the Seat Leon had a nice exterior. The interior was kind of boring.

Then I went to all the others basically. I checked for chickdigger802, I could easily sit in the third row of the Disco 4, it's not like other cars with third row that are only appropiate for kids. Third row even gets their own cup holders, storage space and glass roof! Jaguar was nice although compared to the Audis the interior of the XF was not as nice. At least the buttons and levers didn't feel as nice, I got spoilt early on lol!

What I have to say is that I was really impressed by Kia and Hyundai. People kept saying that they are really good, I read it everywhere but I was always like eeehh. But I sat in the proceed and the i30 and those are some damn fine cars. We weren't allowed to sit in the Equus but I was able to see inside. Seems like a lot of copypasta was going on there, especially from the BMW 7 series lol.

When I got to BMW they were also starting a show presenting the i3 and the i8. I dig the i8 I still don't like the i3. I wasn't able to sit in the 7 series because of obnoxious old people not giving up the seat but just from looking inside I think BMW is kind of falling behind. The A7 and especially the S-Class look so much better. Time to introduce a new 7! I was able to sit in the 6, 5 and 3 series. All really nice cars, the iDrive thingy was easy to navigate around and it just felt nice. But at the same time I have to say I wasn't feeling as comfortable as in the Audis. They definitely have the nicer materials.

Other positivies: Renault. I loved the Clio, I have a soft spot for them since my very first car was a Clio. They even have the same old media control that you use with the right pinky and ring finger which I much prefer to buttons on the steering wheel. Toyota and Lexus were nice, as were Nissan (I sat in the 370Z convertible). The new Infinity wasn't bad either (also saw Vettel/Webbers F1 car). I checked out the boot space in every car, they have gotten huge in almost every car! Even the Up! had a lot of space for a car in its class.

Negative: the only one that comes to mind is the Honda Civic. It felt cheap, cluttered, not thought out.

Overall I loved the show even with the shitty weather (means all people are inside all the time). It took me about 5.5 hours with lunch break and skipping a few cars.

kehs

Banned
Auto gaf, I need some education.

The 2014 corolla with a CVT 6 speed transmission has an S and a B mode next to the D (drive) on the automatic. The manual says the S mode is for "engine braking" and the B modes is for "maximum engine braking".

I did a little search but all I got was the above. When would one use these modes?

TCRS

Banned
You use them if you want engine braking I suppose. Engine braking is when you release the throttle the car will slow down much more than usually. Have you ever ridden a scooter? It'll feel something like that I suppose.

Good luck finding an E36 nowadays with less than 100k miles.
Also replace the cooling system for the love of god.

Yeah, finding a <100k RWD manual for that price is going to be iffy in terms of quality cars available.

Auto gaf, I need some education.

The 2014 corolla with a CVT 6 speed transmission has an S and a B mode next to the D (drive) on the automatic. The manual says the S mode is for "engine braking" and the B modes is for "maximum engine braking".

I did a little search but all I got was the above. When would one use these modes?

Well engine braking is used to slow a car down without applying the actual brakes, thus saving a bit of wear (depending on how often you do). The idea is to downshift when you want to slow down without actually braking, the lower the gear, the heavier the engine braking is and the more it slows you down. I assume those modes simulate engine braking in that sense.

I don't know why anyone would want a feature for engine breaking, that sounds like something you wouldn't want.

OHHHHH!! Engine braaaaaaaaaaaking. Yeah, engine braking is something else entirely.

Engine braking is where the wheels are turning the transmission which is turning the engine. This makes the engine act as an air pump which takes power to do. The effect is that the wheels power the engine (air pump) and that energy usage slows the car. The faster the engine is turning, the more power it takes to turn it and the stronger the effect of braking will be.

With a CVT transmission it will just alternate the gear ratios a little bit to either raise or lower the engine RPM to create less or more engine braking.

PS - Seriously guys, this is an automotive thread, we should be able to differentiate between "breaking" and "braking".

PPS - Engine braking only works when the transmission is connecting the engine to the wheels, if the transmission is in neutral or the clutch is disengaged, the engine idles and the wheels freespin.

PPPS - Important Difference! If your car is a hybrid, the weak/strong engine braking may also change how much the wheels are engaging the electric motor for regenerative braking, i.e., where the wheels spin the electric motor which recharges the battery which takes power from the wheels which slows down the car.

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
Saw the new Corolla when I was getting some wiper blade refills. Jesus Christ the thing looks like a 4x4. The space between the tire and wheel well is like 4-5".

Saw the new Corolla when I was getting some wiper blade refills. Jesus Christ the thing looks like a 4x4. The space between the tire and wheel well is like 4-5".

it apparently has rear legroom comparable to a camry. Fat America design philosophy.

manual in socal. how's traffic there? Is it as bad as LA? Was there for a wedding and there was traffic at like 3pm on a weekday >.<

cajunator

Banned
Went to an expo at my school and came out and saw this beauty outside:

These will be a dime a dozen around here soon but I wont mind.

Sounds fantastic. Looks terrible.

neat car. production car probably wouldn't look too different i bet. those doors though haha. seems like the most obnoxious things ever. 'i'm rich bitch'

That is the production version. The concept was a bit different and had more glass on the doors.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Sounds like something a Pontiac PR stooge would've said back when the Solstice was released :lol

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
It was a mid-00s GM product. WTF was everyone smoking?

If the engineers and accountants had been smoking what the exterior designers (of THOSE cars) were, we might not have had to bail them out.

Aztek guy must have been smoking methcrack.

ascii42

If the engineers and accountants had been smoking what the exterior designers (of THOSE cars) were, we might not have had to bail them out.

Aztek guy must have been smoking methcrack.

The Aztek looks like its problem was being designed by too many people.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Think the wife is going to pick up one of the 2014 Corollas next week. She has been driving her 98 Corolla for a decade now and it is time for her to finally get something new for her short commute.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Think the wife is going to pick up one of the 2014 Corollas next week. She has been driving her 98 Corolla for a decade now and it is time for her to finally get something new for her short commute.

Noooo not a Corolla :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom