• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Automotive Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

TylerD

Went Saturday morning to get my car inspected so I can get Texas plates and failed due to my tint being too dark. 19% is what it metered at and 25% is legal. I was shocked it was that dark because it doesn't look dark at all to me.

Coworker has a friend that runs the most regarded tint shop in Lubbock and will remove my old tint and install 30% ceramic that should meter at 26% for $350. I am going to hit a couple of places that were recommended by the same coworker that doesn't test tint and see if I can get that sticker and avoid unnecessary cost right now.

I'm tired of the continuous expenditures of moving! lol

N-Bomb

Haha yeah. It's a steal, just not sure if it's worth all the effort.

Damn, stock exhaust? Get rid of that shit, it sucks ass. Get a nice 3" exhaust. Way lighter, way more power.

Ehhhh... 3" only if you're making like 400+

I need a good exhaust, but i'm having a hard time finding a good one.

Check out Hayward & Scott out of the UK - love their exhaust on mine, considering them for my dp.

They're willing to make me a twin-scroll, 3" neck down to 2.5", 100cpsi catted, dp. It'll just run me around £500... which is actually comparable w/ many of the fancy JP pieces, but with a higher flowing cat.

No Love

Banned
Ehhhh... 3" only if you're making like 400+

Check out Hayward & Scott out of the UK - love their exhaust on mine, considering them for my dp.

They're willing to make me a twin-scroll, 3" neck down to 2.5", 100cpsi catted, dp. It'll just run me around £500... which is actually comparable w/ many of the fancy JP pieces, but with a higher flowing cat.

No, 3" always. 3" will pick up power on ANY 4 cylinder. I did tons of research on this with other S2000 members. And a turbo car needs as much of a free flowing exhaust as possible. Going less than 3" is for retards. 3" from the downpipe all the way to the exit. Trust me on this, I know my ish about exhausts.

No Love

Banned
35K in VA? Oh man thats so damn tempting.

This weekend I washed, waxed, changed the oil, and installed new mudflaps on the evo.

Looks like my stock exhaust is starting to rust.
Time to find a decent aftermarket one.

Ok so I'm really thinking, maybe in a week or two, I might fly to VA if the pre-purchase inspection goes well and after I get more pics, if it's still available.

You wanna come with me to check it out? IDK what part of VA it's in though.

N-Bomb

You know people ship cars, right? Its pretty cheap too. I can fly there, inspect it, and fly home.

Yep. I'm going to probably have to fly to the UK or Japan one day to inspect whichever 22B I end up buying.

No, 3" always. 3" will pick up power on ANY 4 cylinder. I did tons of research on this with other S2000 members. And a turbo car needs as much of a free flowing exhaust as possible. Going less than 3" is for retards. 3" from the downpipe all the way to the exit. Trust me on this, I know my ish about exhausts.

Well let's put this another way - an engine is an air pump, and at its most efficient, you want to get as much air out as you put in, right? So I'm saying that - not for ultimate power, but to a point - a smaller exhaust won't crimp your power unless you're pushing in more air than it can let out expediently.

Ok so I'm really thinking, maybe in a week or two, I might fly to VA if the pre-purchase inspection goes well and after I get more pics, if it's still available.

You wanna come with me to check it out? IDK what part of VA it's in though.

Ya id def be done to come check it out. I'm towards central VA.

Friend called B&B and they stopped making evo exhausts due to lack of demand. He said he could make me a one off but it would be 1500+.

I think I might just go for the Bushur turbo back.

Upsizing the exhaust will increase your high end power but rob you of a bit of low-end/mid-range torque. Maybe it's different with a turbo car? Does the exhaust size not have an effect on scavenging with a turbine sitting in the way?

Zoolader

Upsizing the exhaust will increase your high end power but rob you of a bit of low-end/mid-range torque. Maybe it's different with a turbo car? Does the exhaust size not have an effect on scavenging with a turbine sitting in the way?

Turbo cars do better with larger exhausts, less back pressure the better.

Anyone have any suggestions for smaller trucks that are still solid towers (along with having four wheel drive)? I'm looking to replace my Volvo with something that's actually useful and that can tow my other cars/motorcycle.

ameratsu

On a turbo car, sure, but on a NA 4cyl? I really doubt you would lose any power going to a 2.5 instead of 3. I'd rather have something quieter and marginally less powerful.

edit: I used to own a galant vr4, and the community seemed to have reached the consensus that 2.5 inch piping was better for a DD (more low end torque maybe?). I don't remember specifically why this was though

ruxtpin

Banned
So I think I'm going to go with a 2014 Jetta GLI in the very near future. Trade in the old 2006 Corolla. Got me thru' the college years, but I'm ready for something a bit nicer. The Mazda 6 was nice, but even I could feel the extra power available on the VW (I don't consider myself a car guy; but then again, if I'm posting in an automotive thread maybe I am).

Can't decide between the white or black GLI Autobahn. I reckon black shows dirt that much easier, but it did look nice.

N-Bomb

I'm considering the purchase of this shirt:

miata-answer-onshirt-blue_original.png

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Why not? It's not even that high...the E92 M3 revved to the moon compared to this (8000RPM), as does the RS5 (8300). Nissan Zs have been revving a hair higher, as well (7650RPM).

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Why not? It's not even that high...the E92 M3 revved to the moon compared to this (8000RPM), as does the RS5 (8300). Nissan Zs have been revving a hair higher, as well (7650RPM).

Because American engines rev to like 5700RPM and call it good.

ascii42

True, though I didn't know the RS5 revved that high. I guess I normally just look at where torque and hp peak and ignore the redline.

I was more poking fun at the cars I like. I'm curious how high the 455 in my Olds will rev. From what I've been able to find on it online, the horsepower peaks at 3400 rpm. Those were dark times.

Really, the most impressive thing on the M3/M4 spec sheet I think is the weight.

AlphaSnake

Because American engines rev to like 5700RPM and call it good.

Haha, pretty much. As much as I love the new Viper...the fact that it has a V10 that revs to 6400RPM is comical to me.

I think the DCT ones ran to 8300 rpm.

Actually, I think you're right. 8000 is the redline on M3s. But 8300 is where the fuel will cut off. I always found it odd that manufacturers will tout two different 'redlines'. Me personally, I frequently refer to the fuel cut off point when talking about max RPM. But I believe the proper definition of redline is the area just before fuel cut off engages.

AlphaSnake

The fuel cuts off on my Mazdaspeed6 at 5500RPM.

:|

What the hell is wrong with your car? :|

Edit: Fool, your peak power is at 5500RPM. Your redline is 6700RPM. And fuel cut off (where the needle bounces) is 6800RPM.

reilo

What the hell is wrong with your car? :|

Edit: Fool, your peak power is at 5500RPM. Your redline is 6700RPM. And fuel cut off (where the needle bounces) is 6800RPM.

Err shit, you're right. But you should look at the graph. It's just a straight drop in power, that's where the fuel cut off might as well be.

Ty4on

Err shit, you're right. But you should look at the graph. It's just a straight drop in power, that's where the fuel cut off might as well be.

It's still faster shift after the peak to get the next gear higher up in the power band. It's a great excuse to redline a car :p

Edit: Wow, that's a real drop and with tons of turbo lag. Looks like it was tested in too low of a gear with max torque being at 2500RPM according to Mazda, but it shows how long time it takes for that torque to reach the wheel.

No Love

Banned

The turbos on Mazdaspeed 3's are garbage. So is the tune.

high reving engines aren't cool anymore?

Can't wait until racing movies are all electric.

Revved my Evo out to 8k RPM on stock valvetrain. My next one will rev to 8500-9000 RPM, and when I stroke it out to a 2.3-2.4L I'll do a long rod setup so it can rev to about 9000 and make power all the way there.

700+ whp FTW

AlphaSnake

Haha, looks just like the power drop off on 335s and 135s. It's like hitting a brick wall, such a disheartening feeling. This is why superchargers will always get my vote, as long as the engine is spinning, the SC is whining and sucking in even more air.

Unless you're Audi and you think it's cool to have an electronic valve dumping air at 5800 RPM on the A6 and S4. Fuck you, Audi.

Jaguar's supercharged V8s make you feel like this all the way until redline/fuel cut off:
eekdance.gif

Such a glorious feeling to experience 500HP at 6600RPM without any lumps or breaks in power.

reilo

It's still faster shift after the peak to get the next gear higher up in the power band. It's a great excuse to redline a car :p

Edit: Wow, that's a real drop and with tons of turbo lag. Looks like it was tested in too low of a gear with max torque being at 2500RPM according to Mazda, but it shows how long time it takes for that torque to reach the wheel.

Redlining a 2.3DISI engine is the absolute worst thing you can do if you wanna go fast. The drop-off is extremely noticeable -- you don't even need a dyno to make that evident.

To make matters worse, you don't floor that engine until it hits 3k RPM. The engine has an amazing pull from 3000-5500, but it's useless up until 2500RPM.

So, yeah.

Here's a Speed6 with an AP tune and a few easy mods:

VSej9b5.jpg

Much better.

reilo

Mazda, don't hurt 'em!

01-2014-mazda3-sedan-fd-1.jpg

02-2014-mazda3-sedan-fd-1.jpg

03-2014-mazda3-sedan-fd-1.jpg

http://www.autoblog.com/photos/2014-mazda3-sedan-first-drive/med/#photo-1254653/

In other sorta optimistic, mostly pessimistic Mazda news:

• Mazda engineers are lobbying for revival of rear-wheel-drive models, saying that the strategy would help the Japanese automaker to better differentiate itself against its rivals, Edmunds has learned.
  • Top management is said to be resistant to the idea, citing the high cost of redesigning its mainstream models.
  • Mazda might find a partner in Alfa Romeo as it rethinks rear-wheel drive.

http://www.edmunds.com/car-news/mazda-engineers-push-for-a-return-to-rear-wheel-drive.html

Next-gen Mazda3 and Mazda6 as RWD? Yes, please.

No Love

Banned
Haha, looks just like the power drop off on 335s and 135s. It's like hitting a brick wall, such a disheartening feeling. This is why superchargers will always get my vote, as long as the engine is spinning, the SC is whining and sucking in even more air.

Unless you're Audi and you think it's cool to have an electronic valve dumping air at 5800 RPM on the A6 and S4. Fuck you, Audi.

Jaguar's supercharged V8s make you feel like this all the way until redline/fuel cut off:
eekdance.gif

Such a glorious feeling to experience 500HP at 6600RPM without any lumps or breaks in power.

Meh. Depends on the type of supercharger. Roots blowers are great, but centrifugal doesn't help out your low end at all.

In almost any situation, turbos will be superior. But yes, 335i N54 and N55 have an AWFUL torque peak that dips down and falls to shit. It's like a 30-45% loss of torque from peak to redline. Ew.

AlphaSnake

Meh. Depends on the type of supercharger. Roots blowers are great, but centrifugal doesn't help out your low end at all.

In almost any situation, turbos will be superior. But yes, 335i N54 and N55 have an AWFUL torque peak that dips down and falls to shit. It's like a 30-45% loss of torque from peak to redline. Ew.

Jags superchargers are Eaton roots-type. :D

Delicious torque and make a perfect pairing with that 5.0 V8. Power delivery is linear but hair-raising.

Compare that to the twin-turbos of my brother's M6, power is extremely jumpy and peaky and it's hard to make the car feel graceful. It's fast as fuck, virtually no lag, but feels like some refinement is missing in how that power is put down. Having driven 500HP+ machines with SCs and TCs, my vote will always be superchargers.

That and they're far more reliable mechanically, easier and cheaper to fix.

AlphaSnake

And usually much more accessible, no?

Yep, much easier to fix. Turbos are often stowed or buried below or to the side of the engine, which is a nightmare.

Superchargers are just sitting there, on top of the intake manifold.

reilo

Yep, much easier to fix. Turbos are often stowed or buried below or to the side of the engine, which is a nightmare.

Superchargers are just sitting there, on top of the intake manifold.

Yeah, people that put aftermarket SCs on their E30s usually just bolt them off in under an hour before they go in for emissions lol.

AlphaSnake

Yeah, people that put aftermarket SCs on their E30s usually just bolt them off in under an hour before they go in for emissions lol.

My buddy literally removes the SC belt from his 350Z to do the same, and flashes the ECU to stock. LOL

Fortunately, Florida doesn't have those problems. :p

Ty4on

Redlining a 2.3DISI engine is the absolute worst thing you can do if you wanna go fast. The drop-off is extremely noticeable -- you don't even need a dyno to make that evident.

To make matters worse, you don't floor that engine until it hits 3k RPM. The engine has an amazing pull from 3000-5500, but it's useless up until 2500RPM.

So, yeah.

Here's a Speed6 with an AP tune and a few easy mods:

VSej9b5.jpg

Much better.
I hate that info like this isn't widely available. Car reviewers usually just say some vague stuff about the car.

Isn't that powerband from the Mazdaspeed 3 something like what you'd see from a turbo engine in the 80s? While I still hate them for not being quick or predictable enough it is amazing how modern Turbos can spool up at like sub 1500RPM in a tiny engine.
When was the last time we had a mainstream compact or midsize RWD car in the US? 80s?
European and I suppose it is only midsize by American standards but I remember the Opel Omega being the last rear wheel drive family car when it was phased out. Also sold as a Vauxhall Carlton, Holden Commodore and Cadillac Catera.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Think I got all my credit union stuff sorted out. Off to the dealers for some mind chess this weekend. Huzzah!

Go to Cars Direct. Get the local best price. Call ahead. SPEAK TO THE MANAGER, NOT A SALES REP. Confirm a price before you arrive.

Everything else is a risky nightmare.

Sorry cardealer gaf, you are scum. Don't even attempt to defend yourselves. It's 100% universal across the board rule.

reilo

Go to Cars Direct. Get the local best price. Call ahead. SPEAK TO THE MANAGER, NOT A SALES REP. Confirm a price before you arrive.

Everything else is a risky nightmare.

Sorry cardealer gaf, you are scum. Don't even attempt to defend yourselves. It's 100% universal across the board rule.

I went in with a friend of mine to help him buy a Prius over a 4th of July special last year. He ended up getting a good deal for it in the end (under invoice, brand new), but the whole "let me go talk to my manager, here are the four options" scene is so played out and such bullshit.

I later found out from a friend that is a manager at a Hyundai dealer that when the finance guy (there's that stage, too!) offered a lower interest rate in exchange for buying an extended warranty is illegal. My friend still got the lower interest rate without buying the extended plan ("I'm gonna be nice and give it to you anyway" he said lol), but the whole back and forth is such shit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom