• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Automotive Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

ameratsu

$(KGrHqN,!qMFJE!u46F5BS(0!ePbZw~~48_35.JPG

Saw this for sale locally and had to post this engine bay pic here. lol...

No Love

Banned
Yep, I was aware of the need for the test pipe. I'll research exhausts a bit before I buy one, I honestly haven't done too much of that. I prefer dual if only for looks and because I wouldn't need to replace the back bumper, and I REALLY don't want anything that drones at cruising speeds (one pro about the one I linked earlier). It's already hard enough to get used to cruising 4500 rpm in 6th without a droning exhaust.

And about the interior, yeah, 06 was the last year for Suzuka Blue and the only year that came with a mostly black interior. I really wasn't digging the smurf blue dashboards either, to be honest.

3" won't drone with proper resonators etc. I had an HKS 3" single and it was quieter than most duals. Sounded AMAZING. People would drive behind the car just to hear it... one of my favorite exhausts ever.

Also look into the Greddy SE dual. That exhaust sounds/looks great but most of us preferred the HKS.

By the way, I want to thank everyone here for the input that led to picking an S2000. It really wasn't very high on my radar even as little as two weeks ago, and I've been daydreaming about a new car for a long ass time.

I tried to heed much of the advice. It was same owner since 5k miles, now at 87k. The tires are Michelin Super Sports with 70% tread left, it was a private sale for $14k, and I had it inspected pre-purchase by a specialty shop that deals almost exclusively in S2000's. Compression check and everything else came back good. Even the roof mechanism has been replaced, sanded and deburred with new elastic straps and some insulation to keep the damn fabric from tearing.

As far as I can tell, the only negative was that the prior owner had some horrible parking lot luck (or is just terrible at parking). Several of the panels have been professionally repaired/replaced and resprayed/blended, though you would never tell by looking. Zero front end or rear end damage, including original radiator so I know it's never been in an accident, and the carfax is clean so I shouldn't have much of a problem selling later.

If you have one of these cars in the Orange County, CA area I would highly recommend Ballade Sports as an auto shop. Alex was very impressive during the inspection and got everything right, even going in completely blind with no service history (I have the history, he didn't want to see it until afterwards).

Alex does good work but I wouldn't recommend Ballade. He's an egotistical douchebag at times.

Maybe he's calmed down since I knew him.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
It's my work day. I spend a lot of time in the same car over the same roads and there's nothing better than a good podcast to go with that. I dunno what the average is, but I always go through 2 hours of whatever I am playing.

Edit:

Sounds like something they just stole from Renault :p
Renault have had buttons on a stalk since I think the 80s. On our Espace you can cycle through sources, scan the radio, change CDs and tracks and of course change the volume. It is strange how some feel something as cheap as buttons should be options.
ver_ph2_extras_01.jpg

This is how Nissan does it:

2009-Nissan-370Z-Steering-Wheel-1280x960.jpg

The up/down toggles selections or songs (depending on the menu display you're in), the volume rocker is obvious (and can be found on virtually every car today), it's the source and back button that are the bonus. You can switch from Bluetooth, iPod, USB, DVD/CD with the source button. And the back button is great not just if you want to fix a wrong selection, but also when you're in the middle of a song and you want to switch to another playlist or artists or navigate your iPod/music source for something else, you can hit the back button and it'll take you to the menu screen of your device.

I can't praise the functionality of it enough. By the looks of the Q50, I believe that functionality is still largely in place with the new Infinitis and future Nissans.

TCRS

Banned
It's my work day. I spend a lot of time in the same car over the same roads and there's nothing better than a good podcast to go with that. I dunno what the average is, but I always go through 2 hours of whatever I am playing.

Edit:

Sounds like something they just stole from Renault :p
Renault have had buttons on a stalk since I think the 80s. On our Espace you can cycle through sources, scan the radio, change CDs and tracks and of course change the volume. It is strange how some feel something as cheap as buttons should be options.
ver_ph2_extras_01.jpg

yeah I love those buttons on Renaults. much easier to control than with buttons on the steering wheel.

ShowDog

Alex does good work but I wouldn't recommend Ballade. He's an egotistical douchebag at times.

Maybe he's calmed down since I knew him.

He did say the car needed a valve adjustment but Honda did one 5k miles ago. He said whoever did it must have been an "idiot." He went on to clarify that it's pretty subjective and he has never seen one he liked that he didn't do himself.

So I see what you're saying. He does seem to know what he is talking about though and was really friendly.

Where would you recommend?

No Love

Banned
He did say the car needed a valve adjustment but Honda did one 5k miles ago. He said whoever did it must have been an "idiot." He went on to clarify that it's pretty subjective and he has never seen one he liked that he didn't do himself.

So I see what you're saying. He does seem to know what he is talking about though and was really friendly.

Where would you recommend?

If you don't mind driving a little further, take it to Massimo Power in Corona. They do mostly Evo's and Subie's but they do S2000's and Hondas in general as well (F series and all other H/K/B/D series Honda motors are very very similar to Evo motors in so many ways) and their pricing is better than Ballade as well. Plus Gilbert and Mauricio are much easier to work with than spoiled daddy's boy Alex LOL. I think you will like Gilbert and Mauricio a lot, they are funny as hell and totally honest and up front. They have a stellar reputation and it's very well-deserved. They have even done work for some of my family's cars when I don't have time to do it and my family really enjoyed the customer service + attitude they have.

Gilbert has set up tons of time attack championship winning S2000's, NSX's, Evo's, Z06's etc back when he worked at Muellerized. He can also do complete motor builds, transmission builds, etc. I think you'll find him to be even more qualified and experienced than Alex is when it comes to S2000's, or any car.

And TBH he's probably right about the person at Honda doing it being an idiot. Most dealership techs are subpar at best.

Looks identical to me brah.

Lol I literally just walked out of my house and compared the pics and my car and at some angles it looks identical and on others it looks different haha.

That 2nd picture I posted is really quite deceiving. It really looks like a different car from that angle. I can't replicate the angle in my garage so maybe later when I head back to school lol.

Anyway, off the hype train for now but I'm really glad mules are starting to come out. The current Miata is quite old and it needs a refresh, especially now as there's proper competition in place.

No Love

Banned
New Mazda Miata mule just spotted at the 'Ring!!!!!

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/10/23/mazda-mx-5-miata-alfa-romeo-spy-shots/

Current model for comparison:

It looks like it has a longer hood and shorter rear, almost looks similar to an S2000. Now excuse me while I go faint lol.

Looks identical to me brah.

Car companies often do this until they're ready to reveal the true design of the car. They use the older body style on the mule with the new car's internals underneath. Think of it as a decoy.

You should see the real deal testing soon for release in late '14.

Congrats on the new ride!

I'd like to co-sign what NoLoveForFailWheelDrive said for the exhaust. HKS would be the best choice. If you want something that's dual, then look at the TRUST/Greddy linup!

High-five. The HKS sounds absolutely amazing (like an exotic) and the Greddy duals are just beautiful. Glad somebody else knows what I'm talking about!!

No Love

Banned
I do like that Greddy dual quite a bit

Pick one up if you can find one on S2KI SoCal.

And if you ever need help with your car, PM me. I live in Long Beach and am overly familiar with S2000's. Been around tons of them and sold mine a few years ago. Still love them and would like another one someday... with boost, of course.

Ok, now it looks like a 6 Series and any current Audi sedan had a baby:

2015-hyundai-genesis-rendering-1-1.jpg

Also, third birthday of my 2010 A4 is sometime this month, here's some stats:

Months Owned: 36
Current Mileage: 28,057 miles
Average Fuel Economy: 29 MPG
Average Range: 410 miles
Service: $730
Normal Wear: $410
Repair: $0

I change oil between 3,000 - 5,000 miles, depending on how the Audi Care services line up, which I have one left of that's part of that $730. Tires are rotated every other oil change and during maintenance. No electrical issues of any sort to report. Normal wear includes filters, brake pads, cleaning materials, etc.

Well I've got a 2006 S2000 sitting in my driveway. Feels good man.

New? Grats! That grayish blue has really been growing on me recently.

Congrats , Showdog! MY06 Suzuka looks great w/o the blue dash the old ones came with. Nice to see other S2K enthusiasts as well. Cross posters from S2Ki maybe?

No Love

Banned
New BMW M235i.

http://jalopnik.com/2015-bmw-m235i-this-is-all-of-it-1451294331

So fucking hot. First decent thing in the past 2 years from BMW. A lightweight, well-powered proper looking sports car. Front and back, it looks infinitely better than the 4-series.

Wow that is fucking awesome! I would love to lease one of those as a DD... chip it and you're good to go. Only 3200 lbs too!!

Congrats , Showdog! MY06 Suzuka looks great w/o the blue dash the old ones came with. Nice to see other S2K enthusiasts as well. Cross posters from S2Ki maybe?

Yup, I post on S2KI still :)

seems like people that want an fr-s with all the goodies of brz limited/ gt86 top trims will have that option.

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49546

Scion’s exclusive tC and FR-S Monogram Series™ will be available in early 2014.
Scion’s exclusive Monogram Series™ targets the smart buyer seeking premium features. Prices to be released January 2014, with availability soon following.

The Scion FR-S Monogram Series™ offers the following premium features:
• BeSpoke Premium Audio featuring aha (includes navigation)
• Heated Leather Seats
• Dual Zone Auto Climate Control
• Smart Key Push Button Start
• Anti-Theft Security System
• Frameless Rear-View Mirror
• Center Armrest
• Carpeted Cargo Mat
• HID Auto Headlamps with LED Daytime Running Lights
• Heated Color-Keyed Power Exterior Mirrors
• Color-Keyed Rear Spoiler
The standard FR-S exterior color palette applies.

The Scion tC Monogram Series™ offers the following premium features:
• BeSpoke Premium Audio featuring aha (includes navigation)
• Heated Leather Seats
• Smart Key Push Button Start
• Leather Shift Knob
• Carpeted Floor Mats & Trunk Mat
• Rear Window Wiper
• Color-Keyed Low Profile Rear Spoiler
The standard tC exterior color palette applies

I guess scion is finally going away from 'pure price 1 trim' philosophy?

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Good job BMW. The worst thing about the old 1-series were the oversized headlights, but these look fantastic.

No Love

Banned

Not bad but not anywhere close to the C6 Z06. C6 Z06 does it in low 11's @ 123-126 mph depending on the track. Has been done as fast as 10.9 @ 128 bone stock before at a really good track. Still, really impressive for a base model Vette, that's for damn sure!

Buuuut... this means the C7 Z06 will be probably be running high 10's stock @ 127-130 mph, while the C7 ZR1 will be running mid to low 10's @ 135-140 mph stock.

Oh yeah, and you guys forgot to talk about the new absolutely insane McClaren P1 performance specs:

0-62mph: 2.8secs

0-124mph: 6.8secs

0-186mph: 16.5secs

Standing quarter: 9.8secs at 152mph

MPG combined: 34 mpg

Dat mpg. Dat 152 MPH trap speed.

ascii42

Not bad but not anywhere close to the C6 Z06. C6 Z06 does it in low 11's @ 123-126 mph depending on the track. Has been done as fast as 10.9 @ 128 bone stock before at a really good track. Still, really impressive for a base model Vette, that's for damn sure!

Buuuut... this means the C7 Z06 will be probably be running high 10's stock @ 127-130 mph, while the C7 ZR1 will be running mid to low 10's @ 135-140 mph stock.

Oh yeah, and you guys forgot to talk about the new absolutely insane McClaren P1 performance specs:

The P1 is a plug-in hybrid, so how does that affect the fuel economy ratings?

What's the point of comparing it to a higher performance variant?

Also, I'm pretty sure the 34 MPG on the P1 is based on European standards, but I'm sure the thing still gets great MPG for what it is.

Still waiting on that 'ring laptime. Part of me is hoping it can't beat the 918 which I'm pretty sure indicates I'm becoming a Porsche fanboy, and I think I'm ok with that. P1 is sexy as fuck though.

No Love

Banned
What's the point of comparing it to a higher performance variant?

Also, I'm pretty sure the 34 MPG on the P1 is based on European standards, but I'm sure the thing still gets great MPG for what it is.

Still waiting on that 'ring laptime. Part of me is hoping it can't beat the 918 which I'm pretty sure indicates I'm becoming a Porsche fanboy, and I think I'm ok with that. P1 is sexy as fuck though.

Probably because I can go get a really nice Z06 for $40-45k and it'd cost me $60-70k for the new base model Vette. Also, didn't the C6 base model end up having more power than the C5 Z06m I'm definitely in for the new Z07 C7 when that debuts. Wonder if it'll be 80k+...

Anyways, should have my Z06 by Halloween. :)

reilo

Probably because I can go get a really nice Z06 for $40-45k and it'd cost me $60-70k for the new base model Vette. Also, didn't the C6 base model end up having more power than the C5 Z06m I'm definitely in for the new Z07 C7 when that debuts. Wonder if it'll be 80k+...

Anyways, should have my Z06 by Halloween. :)

Dude dude dude. Get the 8-series (it's in Seattle!) and invest $15k in it! Do eeet.

reilo

So did Nbomb get perma'd?

I dont have anyone that will agree with me on the importance of lightness in cars.

I don't think everyone disagrees. I think most of us just recognize that it's not the end-all-be-all to automotive performance or even automotive desires. To unequivocally dismiss any vehicle as useless that is heavier than an arbitrary 2800lbs is just... dumb.

No Love

Banned
Dude dude dude. Get the 8-series (it's in Seattle!) and invest $15k in it! Do eeet.

I can't man, I just can't. Old BMW's are money pits when you start modding them. Plus it'll never excite me like the Z06 does.

So did Nbomb get perma'd?

I dont have anyone that will agree with me on the importance of lightness in cars.

I agree with you about the importance of lightness. One of the reasons I don't mind grabbing an '06-07 Z06... they only weigh about 3140 from the factory, while newer Z06's went to 3200-3300 lbs! That's a big difference. Plus, I'd like to do a few things to strip 100-200 lbs off the car.

My Evo 8 RS only weighed about 3000 lbs, and it was fast as fuck. Most of the cars I've owned have been 2500-3000 lbs. It just feels really good to drive a lightweight car, especially with torque.

reilo

I agree with you about the importance of lightness. One of the reasons I don't mind grabbing an '06-07 Z06... they only weigh about 3140 from the factory, while newer Z06's went to 3200-3300 lbs! That's a big difference. Plus, I'd like to do a few things to strip 100-200 lbs off the car.

My Evo 8 RS only weighed about 3000 lbs, and it was fast as fuck. Most of the cars I've owned have been 2500-3000 lbs. It just feels really good to drive a lightweight car, especially with torque.

N-Bomb would claim all of those cars are too heavy and would never consider them "lightweight".

Think about that.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
LOL.

The repeated homophobia is what got him canned it seems, even if he was posting a few days after calling something 'gay'.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom