• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Automotive Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

No Love

Banned
how light is his sti? o_O

Like 2,500lbs. Airbags, pfft. Who needs them?

Is it an Impreza 2.5 RS that he is swapping an STI motor + drive train into? If so, STI motor + drivetrain will make it go up to around 2850-3000 lbs (I've seen swapped RSTI's before, they're only a few hundred lbs less than the 2004-2008 STI's).

IF it's just an STI motor, then yes it's light, but it won't handle well without the newer STI drivetrain and DCCD.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Is it an Impreza 2.5 RS that he is swapping an STI motor + drive train into? If so, STI motor + drivetrain will make it go up to around 2850-3000 lbs (I've seen swapped RSTI's before, they're only a few hundred lbs less than the 2004-2008 STI's).

IF it's just an STI motor, then yes it's light, but it won't handle well without the newer STI drivetrain and DCCD.

Yes, he called his car the FrankenSTI. It was a 5spd + STI motor. But I do think it was a pretty gutted ass car, though.

He has a facelifted L that had a JDM swap. 270HP

so should have had dual airbags

stock GCs run at 2600 which is what mine runs at.

No Love

Banned
That's a pretty light little car then. But without the better STI drivetrain or more power, lightness doesn't really matter IMO. I'd rather have a somewhat heavier car with a better suspensikn/AWD system and more power than one without that's just really really light.

AlphaSnake

Does anyone have general impressions or opinions of the Audi Q5? I'm thinking about it as a family car. Would it be worth seeking out the TDI version?

My cousin has one. A 2012 3.2, it has 35k miles on it and hasn't had any problems. It's probably one of the more reliable cars in Audi's stable. The new 3.0 supercharged ones...meh, that motor and a lot of what's fitted to it is poor and unrealible.

The TDI should suit you well. One thing though, the cargo space isn't very grand. Imo, for the same money and infinitely better reliability and performance, look at the Infiniti FX37 (now called QX60)

No Love

Banned
I've got the GReddy Dual Spectrum Elite (Go Tuning) and it fits super nicely and sounds great on my S2000. Be warned about the drone around 3k rpms though. Test pipe/High Flow Cat reduces the drone quite a bit.

Switch to a resonated test pipe or resonated high flow cat. They will eliminate the drone. Straight pipe just doesn't capture drone frequences like resonated does. I ALWAYS use resonated test pipes... it's a must IMO.

ascii42

A little while ago, I was driving my Olds, when little wisps of smoke started coming from the steering column. I drove it again today, to try to see if I could identify where exactly it was coming from, but I didn't see any smoke. I did notice that my turn signal seemed to click faster as I accelerated. That was a little weird. I don't remember that happening before, but maybe it's because I don't often move very quickly while turning in that car.

I hate messing with wiring. Of all the problems to have...

Switch to a resonated test pipe or resonated high flow cat. They will eliminate the drone. Straight pipe just doesn't capture drone frequences like resonated does. I ALWAYS use resonated test pipes... it's a must IMO.

I was running the Berk HFC for a while until I had to smog a couple weeks ago. The damn drone with the stock cat is driving me a little nuts, but im too lazy to put the Berk HFC on.

That's a pretty light little car then. But without the better STI drivetrain or more power, lightness doesn't really matter IMO. I'd rather have a somewhat heavier car with a better suspensikn/AWD system and more power than one without that's just really really light.

yea but when you start with an econobox there is a long road to go down to get to sports car.

right now I am focusing on collecting drivetrain and suspension parts then power comes.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
My inlaws just discovered more than two pounds of dry cat food in their engine/air ducts in a Subaru Forester. Mice had been moving it there, one nugget at a time.

My inlaws just discovered more than two pounds of dry cat food in their engine/air ducts in a Subaru Forester. Mice had been moving it there, one nugget at a time.

fitting for a car called Forester to be a natural habitat for animals.

http://www-personal.umich.edu/~kelloggr/psidbrands-draft_130628.pdf

Interesting study about inter-generational brand preferences. Parents and their adult kids show a similar preference in car brands (and sub-brands).

Do any you guys drive the same sub-brand of car as you parents do?
well parents usually pass down old cars to their kids, and i guess you eventually grow onto a brand.

Hey everyone, my original plan was to buy an older Miata and drop in a Flyin' Miata turbo kit, but having a kid means I need a backseat for use in a pinch.

Now the plan is either a used 128i or G37. My dealer friend is pushing for the G as it would have more toys and make for a better tourer, but I think a large part of me wants to own/drive BMW's NA inline 6 with a stick before they disappear from the used market.

Can anyone help shed some light on this comparo? Repair and maintenance costs seem to be somewhat comparable, as the G37 has known clutch slave cylinder issues, and I would consider preventatively replacing the CSC and MSC to avoid getting stranded while traveling for work.

No Love

Banned
So the Mustang was essentially leaked today.

http://www.caranddriver.com/feature...ails-news?src=spr_FBPAGE&spr_id=1458_28229451

Doesn't look as bad as we thought it would. But the rear isn't that special.

I actually like it a lot. I think in person it'll look good, like the current Mustang does.

And the GT having 500 horsepower @ 3300 lbs is just nuts. We'll see if it comes true.

Hey everyone, my original plan was to buy an older Miata and drop in a Flyin' Miata turbo kit, but having a kid means I need a backseat for use in a pinch.

Now the plan is either a used 128i or G37. My dealer friend is pushing for the G as it would have more toys and make for a better tourer, but I think a large part of me wants to own/drive BMW's NA inline 6 with a stick before they disappear from the used market.

Can anyone help shed some light on this comparo? Repair and maintenance costs seem to be somewhat comparable, as the G37 has known clutch slave cylinder issues, and I would consider preventatively replacing the CSC and MSC to avoid getting stranded while traveling for work.

Get the G37. 128i is OK but it's still a BMW that you can't fully rely on.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes

http://www.caranddriver.com/feature...ails-news?src=spr_FBPAGE&spr_id=1458_28229451

2015-ford-mustang-ip-stack-spy-photo-photo-548798-s-520x318.jpg

2015-ford-mustang-ip-stack-spy-photo-photo-548797-s-520x318.jpg

They've learned nothing.

[IG]http://media.caranddriver.com/images/13q4/548270/2015-ford-mustang-ip-stack-spy-photo-photo-548798-s-520x318.jpg[/IMG]
[IG]http://media.caranddriver.com/images/13q4/548270/2015-ford-mustang-ip-stack-spy-photo-photo-548797-s-520x318.jpg[/IMG]

They've learned nothing.

It is going to look like the inside of the Focus ST isn't it.

I think the car itself looks nice though.

What do they mean about the 2015 MY being a long one and mid year upgrades? That seems a bit unusual.

AlphaSnake

You thought it would literally have a F-150 console, as it did in the test example that was posted a while back? That's surprising?

Hell, the final design isn't a whole lot better. But no, I'm not that surprised about the car not looking that great. I can see the front end looking better with a refresh or updated facias (GT models, Boss models, etc.), but the rest of the car is generic.

Ford will Ford.

Ash_69

Hmmm. I was looking forward to the prospect of at least being able to buy a Mustang in the UK at a reasonable price but I am not a fan of the looks. Ball dropped. Also that interior is a clusterfuck of buttons.

I will cry if the silly turbo engines neuter the iconic mustang rumble.

On another note, dat McLaren P1!

TylerD

coldfoot

Banned
Mustang is way too conservative...I guess we have to wait 10+ years for the next gen before it evolves into a modern looking coupe.

Can I posit a theory?

Toyota seems to be discontinuing the iQ, and consequently that means the Aston Cygnet will be no more.

Aston only went in for that cosmic joke because they needed to meet CAFE standards.

Now that they're losing it next year, and don't have the money to develop hybrid/EV off-shoots of any of its cars, is this the beginning of the end for AM, or am I getting ahead of myself?

Last I checked they haven't been doing too hot financially, and this certainly isn't going to help them out.

AlphaSnake

Can I posit a theory?

Toyota seems to be discontinuing the iQ, and consequently that means the Aston Cygnet will be no more.

Aston only went in for that cosmic joke because they needed to meet CAFE standards.

Now that they're losing it next year, and don't have the money to develop hybrid/EV off-shoots of any of its cars, is this the beginning of the end for AM, or am I getting ahead of myself?

Last I checked they haven't been doing too hot financially, and this certainly isn't going to help them out.

They'll just find another platform to work with. You're way ahead of yourself.

Ulrich Bez is one of the most valued leaders and pioneers in the automotive world. He isn't that shortsighted.

No Love

Banned
So damn close to having my Z06 fund finished. I'm paying in cash (not enough credit history yet) otherwise I wouldve bought it already. If all goes well, I can get it end of week. If not, first two weeks of November.

Found a really nice red one... ceramic window tint and wrappjng the roof in gloss black vinyl (ala ZR1 roof)... yummm

nayrac

I saw the new Mazda 3 in the wild today. It looked so damn good.

It really does. Don't know why Mazda moved away from the gated(?) automatic trans shifter. I always found them so much more convenient.

Subaru did as well so I guess it's a thing?

No Love

Banned
BXw1YZrIYAA8XSD.jpg:large

looks like the company is doing well.

surely some of the good times will trickle down to the small guys lol.

I love the Audi R8 so much, but for that kind of money I can get a nice Aston Martin or 911 Turbo.

V10 Audi R8 6-speed is such a fucking bad-ass car though. And it still looks so, so good. I think it's a future classic.

I love the Audi R8 so much, but for that kind of money I can get a nice Aston Martin or 911 Turbo.

V10 Audi R8 6-speed is such a fucking bad-ass car though. And it still looks so, so good. I think it's a future classic.

theres also a new viper parked right in front of the r8 with temp tags lol.

Both are stick shift too. At least the suits here know whats up.

FStop7

Banned

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
That's not a new Viper. It's a previous generation, at least a few years old. That's also a pre-refresh Audi R8, probably also a few years old.

Millionaires feeling the sting. They gotta buy their supercars used now. Will someone please think of the millionaires?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom