• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Automotive Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

No Love

Banned
Well, the 2014 model year changes for the Fiat 500 Abarth are in... and no dual-clutch transmission. Just a new silver color for the 500C Abarth, a new wheel style, and factory-installed rear parking sensors are available on the hardtop for an extra $250 (standard on the 500C Abarth).

Better learn how to drive manual, then...

Don't do it. The 500 is a piece of shit. Check out the Fiesta ST instead... you won't look like a giant douche driving one either. Supposed to be the most fun FWD car out, even better than the great Focus ST.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Don't do it. The 500 is a piece of shit. Check out the Fiesta ST instead... you won't look like a giant douche driving one either. Supposed to be the most fun FWD car out, even better than the great Focus ST.
I own a vanilla 500 and I've had no problems with it so far aside from a bolt on the door needing to VW retightened and the clock in the dash running slow. And 99 of 100 people that drive by me have a smile on their face.

That, and Car and Driver says that the exhaust sounds like a Ferrari off of the kids menu. That's enough to sell me. Well, that and not having to deal with the MyFord Touch shit in the Fiesta ST.

No Love

Banned
I own a vanilla 500 and I've had no problems with it so far aside from a bolt on the door needing to VW retightened and the clock in the dash running slow. And 99 of 100 people that drive by me have a smile on their face.

That, and Car and Driver says that the exhaust sounds like a Ferrari off of the kids menu. That's enough to sell me. Well, that and not having to deal with the MyFord Touch shit in the Fiesta ST.

Lmfao fuck Car and Driver. A Ferrari? It doesn't even sound half as mean as an STI/Evo with an average exhaust. That exhaust note is nothing special AT ALL.

Those 99 out of 100 people probably have a smile on their face because they're glad they're not driving a Fiat 500. :p

fiat 500 have there fans, but if ya getting one because it kinda sounds like a ferrari... idk.

getting approval from people drive by is a kinda pointless barometer lol. people gave me thumbs up when i drove around in a prizm, people give thumbs when i drive around in my brz.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
fiat 500 have there fans, but if ya getting one because it kinda sounds like a ferrari... idk.

getting approval from people drive by is a kinda pointless barometer lol. people gave me thumbs up when i drove around in a prizm, people give thumbs when i drive around in my brz.
It's a Fiat thing. Not everyone understands. :)

coldfoot

Banned
If anyone's looking for inexpensive performance buys, 2010 E550 4MATICs are being sold for under 30k with reasonable miles. Those cars are sleepers 0-60 in 4.8 and all the German Autobahn comfort you want.

Maintenance is probably a nightmare but fuck it they're fast and comfy.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
He told me he was trolling Botty too hard in his 'ayo' thread. 5 day ban.

Ahh, yes. I see now. Didn't realize post search of a member was 24 hours behind. I didn't see that in his history yesterday.

Oh well.

AlphaSnake

cx17.jpg

That Jaguar. They're so hot right now.

AlphaSnake

Why is Jaguar doing an SUV? Isn't that going to cannabalize Land Rover sales?

Porsche and Audi having SUVs didn't hurt either brand. It's not that big of a deal. They're both separate brands under one umbrella. The Range Rover Sport is quite a bit larger than Jaguar's SUV, and Jaguar intends to be the sportier of the two, with less emphasis on off-road capability. It effectively slides in between the RR Evoque and RR Sport.

It'll compete with the Infiniti FX, Lexus RX, Acura MDX, Cadillac SRX, Mercedes ML, etc.

Was driving in the right lane at the speed limit and some moron in a 350z (without a muffler) kept slowing down in the left lane and revving his car (and slowing down traffic behind him). And I was the one who got dirty looks from others at the next signal. :/

Anyone get upset to see women or old people driving enthusiast cars?
like an S200, and I mean driving them as DDs: Miatas, S2000, MR2s, STi's, ISF, I have even seen old ladies in M3s and S4's like wtf.

Also am I the only one that does this (only really able to do this in CA) drive with the windows down and the heater on full blast on feet in winter.

It gets too suffocating to have heat on, cant breath, but I never see anyone with their windows down.

I present to y'all, the 2015 Subaru WRX.

A teaser was released earlier but somebody else leaked this after. It looks pretty close to the teaser so I'm assuming this is exactly it.

hmmm i kinda like the current gen one better... this looks like a turbo charged maxima/accord.

Hope they make the WRX shifter not shitty.

Smokey

Damn. I made a 14 corvette stingray, 2LT w z51 and it came out to 68k. *whistles*

Curious to what the z07 is gonna run for.

A teaser was released earlier but somebody else leaked this after. It looks pretty close to the teaser so I'm assuming this is exactly it.

For whatever reason the rear reminds me of a Toyota Echo. It must be that horrible sheet metal to wheel ratio along with the bizarrely short rear overhang. What an ugly thing.

KingGondo

Banned

Hmm. It's an improvement over the current one, but that isn't saying much.

It's a shame it doesn't look more like the concept.

Any images of the hatchback version yet?

PseudoKirby said:
Anyone get upset to see women or old people driving enthusiast cars?
Where's Dragona when you need her?

Hmm. It's an improvement over the current one, but that isn't saying much.

It's a shame it doesn't look more like the concept.

Any images of the hatchback version yet?

Where's Dragona when you need her?

aren't they ditching it this gen? Apparently sales are overlapping with foresters and other suv thingies of scoobies.

ShowDog

Here to relay some automotive detailing woes:

My wife has a 2008 Rav 4 that has probably been hand-washed all of 4 times in its entire life. It has never been waxed. I occasionally take it to the do-it-yourself powerwash for $3 carwash to spray off some of the grime and call it good. Today I decided to detail the damn thing.

I obviously didn't do enough research, because after about 2 hours of scrubbing with some Mothers Wash and Wax soap, an extension brush and a microfiber scrubbing cloth the damn thing was still filthy. And in my infinite wisdom, I decided applying some cleaner wax would get that cleared up right away. Cleaner wax on (over water spots and all) and rubbed out painstakingly by hand and it all looks like shit.

More research, and I discover the following general guideline to detailing a car from scratch:
1. Wash vehicle with a degreaser soap to remove old wax and other garbage (a must now that I did a shitty wax job)
2. Utilize a clay bar to remove a bunch of pollutants and garbage from paint (big problem for me the first time)
3. Use something like meguire swirl-x to polish the car and remove water spots and other shit (another big problem)
4. Apply a wax finish. I'm going to get a buffer for this because by hand sucks.

So I've got to go buy a bunch more shit and try this again next weekend. What an expensive pain in the ass. Also, my S2000 was freshly waxed when purchased but I've been blasting it with high-pressure soapy water at that car wash to "maintain" and probably blasted off all the wax by now like a fucking moron. So I'll have to wax that too.

What do you guys preach/swear by whatever for your washing, cleaning and detailing activities? I could easily be missing a step in there (again). And to clarify, I'm not so much interested in brands as I am in what type of products I should be using and in what order.

ShowDog

they dont appreciate the car as much, its jsut a car to them it seems like.

I'd give respect to anyone driving an S2000, if you didn't appreciate it you wouldn't bother with a 6 speed, and I know for a fact it's the only transmission option on the car. I'd imagine a pretty good percentage of Miata's have 6 speeds too. In any case, I don't get annoyed with anyone driving a car. If they don't beat it to hell it will be a great second-hand pickup for someone later down the road.

I'm pretty sure an old person or middle-aged woman would be the holy grail of "original owner" for any secondhand owner of a sports car, assuming they didn't ignore basic maintenance.

Prozel

Hey guys!

Winter is coming and I'm having a problem with my A4 TDi B4 model. Thing is when I turn the ignition on the glowplugs doesn't seem to heat (atleast not enough).

From what I can read it can be the Coolant Temp Sensor but if anyone has experienced the same before please let my know. I changed the battery last week but it still cranks many times when the engine is cold.

I should be able to have access to a VAG tomorrow but in the meaning I'm, searching for possible clues.

AlphaSnake

The new Audi S3 looks sensational and should be a great bargain, imo at around $40K.

KingGondo

Banned
aren't they ditching it this gen? Apparently sales are overlapping with foresters and other suv thingies of scoobies.
Hmm... That sucks. I much prefer the look of the hatchback version.

I suppose I can always just look for a bargain 2014 when the 2015 is released. Doubt there'll be much of a discount on the hatchback version though. If anything, the prices will go up. :(

TCRS

Banned
I think the WRX looks fine. Understated, I like that.

I was also looking at the Subrau Legacy the other day. Loved the rear, looks proper japanese like in older japanese cars.

TylerD

Had a slow leak in my right rear and found out that there were 3 nails in my tire and apparently it had been driven on long enough at low pressures by the PO that there was a really scary looking crack on the inside of the tire on the sidewall. I have been very consistent with checking pressures so know it wasn't me.

I have 2 new Conti ExtremeContact DWS on the way from Tire Rack. The fronts after 28k miles are still at 8/32'' down from 10/32'' They are wearing very even. The rears were at 6/32''.

Didn't have a problem going with the DWS again, plan on making some trips to New Mexico and Colorado for skiing and really like the ride quality and they still seem to be the best ultra high perf tire for all season in snow and ice.

$207 a piece for 255/35ZR-18s

No Love

Banned
Had a slow leak in my right rear and found out that there were 3 nails in my tire and apparently it had been driven on long enough at low pressures by the PO that there was a really scary looking crack on the inside of the tire on the sidewall. I have been very consistent with checking pressures so know it wasn't me.

I have 2 new Conti ExtremeContact DWS on the way from Tire Rack. The fronts after 28k miles are still at 8/32'' down from 10/32'' They are wearing very even. The rears were at 6/32''.

Didn't have a problem going with the DWS again, plan on making some trips to New Mexico and Colorado for skiing and really like the ride quality and they still seem to be the best ultra high perf tire for all season in snow and ice.

$207 a piece for 255/35ZR-18s

Eh you shoulda hit me up. I could've gotten you a whole set of much better tires for the same price. C'est la vie... :p

Volkswagen Issues Global Recall of 2.64 Million Vehicles

Volkswagen AG (VOW) is recalling about 2.64 million vehicles worldwide, including its biggest such move in China, to fix electronic and drive-system flaws in some of its most popular models.

Volkswagen is recommending that mineral oil be used in dual-clutch gearboxes on 1.6 million cars and vans in place of synthetic oil, Michael Franke, a spokesman at the Wolfsburg, Germany-based company, said today by phone. Another 800,000 Tiguan compact sport-utility-vehicles may have lighting defects and 239,000 Amarok pickups should be fixed for fuel leaks, the manufacturer said today.
Enlarge image Volkswagen Tiguan Automobile

About 800,000 Tiguan compact sport-utility-vehicles worldwide may have lighting defects and 239,000 Amarok pickups could experience fuel leaks, the Wolfsburg, Germany-based manufacturer said today in two statements.

The recalls this month by Volkswagen, Europe’s biggest carmaker, as well as Chrysler Group LLC (F), Toyota Motor Corp. (7203) and Mitsubishi Motors Corp. (7211) highlight the drawbacks of adding increasingly sophisticated technology to new models. Nissan Motor Co. hired the senior auto reviewer for Consumer Reports magazine in the U.S. as its executive adviser on vehicle quality last year, citing the need to “keep pace with” product complexity.

“This isn’t a VW-specific problem, it’s one of the things that happen at mass-market carmakers,” Frank Schwope, a Hanover, Germany-based analyst at Nord LB, said by phone. “Costs will probably be in the high double-digit or even triple-digit million-euro range. They might be partly shared with suppliers involved, but they still make VW’s full-year earnings target more difficult to reach.”
Gearbox Lubricant

The lubricant replacement in seven-speed dual-clutch gearboxes is intended to prevent electric malfunctions. VW, Audi, Skoda and Seat brand vehicles are targeted by the program, Franke said. A Chinese regulator said today that 640,309 cars in that country are affected.

VW recalled 384,181 vehicles in China in March after state television featured complaints about vibrations, loss of power and sudden acceleration in models including the Golf, its best-selling car worldwide. That repair program, also involving dual-clutch gearbox flaws, prompted a public apology by Jochem Heizmann, chief of the carmaker’s Chinese business, at the Shanghai auto show in April.

The repair and replacement programs announced by Volkswagen today compare with recalls of 10 million vehicle by Toyota in 2009 and 2010 for possible flaws related to unintended acceleration, including sticky accelerator pedals and floor mats that could shift out of position. The Japanese carmaker won a federal judge’s approval in July of a settlement with U.S. consumers suing the company over lost resale value that plaintiff lawyers valued at as much as $1.63 billion.
Toyota Program

Toyota said on Nov. 6 that it’s recalling 4,000 Tacoma 4-cylinder pickups in the U.S. to fix engine valve springs. It’s also recalling 1,180 vehicles in China for a similar problem, that country’s regulator said. Auburn Hills, Michigan-based Chrysler said on Nov. 8 that it’s recalling about 1.2 million Ram trucks to fix a steering-system part. Mitsubishi’s program involves a combined 96,800 vehicles in Japan for headline or engine-component flaws.

China, the world’s largest auto market, is a critical market for VW’s strategy to become the world’s largest automaker by 2018 while making up for a European industry that’s shrinking for a sixth straight year.

The gearbox-lubricant fault particularly affects vehicles driving in hot and humid weather in urban areas with a lot of stop-and-go traffic, Volkswagen said today. The problem can be fixed by using mineral oil in place of synthetic oil, it said.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-11-14/volkswagen-issues-global-recall-of-1-68-million-vehicles.html

GungHo

Single-handedly caused Exxon-Mobil to sue FOX, start World War 3
The gearbox-lubricant fault particularly affects vehicles driving in hot and humid weather in urban areas with a lot of stop-and-go traffic, Volkswagen said today
Unfortunately, Houston would qualify under that description. I've had a VW with DSG on my shortlist for near-term purchase.

Unfortunately, Houston would qualify under that description. I've had a VW with DSG on my shortlist for near-term purchase.

I am very unsatisfied with my DSG. It started to make a rattling noise in low gears after 20.000 kms which VW claims is normal. And last time my paddleshifters stopped working. Turning off and on the engine helped though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom