• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Automotive Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the response. But $140,000 actually took into account getting a double clutch v10 audi r8. In fact, if i could not get an R8 that is a V10 double clutch this time next year, i would not even consider it. Yeah i suppose at the end of the day, paying for the r8 is really just for a bigger epeen on the road. Not sure if it is worth $50-70k... But damn man, its just so classic in my opinion, the design of the R8.

I love the BMW... The 3 series was my first real awesome car. No matter what anyone says it has a place in my heart. But i don't know if i would want to try the same grass twice you know? As they say, it's always greener on the other side and variety is the spice of life!

140 should put you in the following ranges:

911GT3 (close)
Used F430
Maserati (newer years and specs)

if the goal is for you to feel good driving what your dream car, then ignore the rest and pick what's best for you. However, if you wanted to track the push, push it and so on, you might find yourself wondering. Just depends on your use case.

TCRS

Banned
1426154_10151885183982621_1373222735_n.jpg

smh

gonna be interesting to see what the sti is gonna look like. it already does look quite a bit different than impreza (think its just subaru wrx now too, dropping impreza). surely they wouldn't just slap the sti wing and call it a day?

on the plus side, hopefully keeping it 'boring' keeps the young assholes from ruining insurance rates.

looks aside, for $25k are there any 4 door sedans with comparable power/performance?

If you guys haven't checked it out, you need to watch this. It is Chris Harris from /Drive in a Lister Jaguar Coupe. It is worth watching for the incredible sounds that car makes in the last half of the video.

so why do jaguars have there seat controls on the door? seems accident prone, or is it not?

The XF and I think XJ have it on the side of the seat. F-Type has it on the door, not sure about the XK?

I hate having it on the seat, especially when being a passenger as my watch will scuff on the door trim. Much prefer it on the door, not that it matters as I'm not often in a Jag!

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
so why do jaguars have there seat controls on the door? seems accident prone, or is it not?

Only the 2-doors do. Not the XF and XJ.

Every Mercedes Benz has it on the door, btw. It's not accident prone the least bit. You'd have to be pretty dumb to hit it accidentally...and even if you do, you won't make any change because you wouldn't have held it long enough for the motor to actually wind up and move the seat - that goes for both cars.

Every Mercedes Benz has it on the door, btw. It's not accident prone the least bit. You'd have to be pretty dumb to hit it accidentally...and even if you do, you won't make any change because you wouldn't have held it long enough for the motor to actually wind up and move the seat - that goes for both cars.

They move about 5 millimeters per second so yeah, it's not going to be dangerous in the slightest!

I'm a bit surprised the steering column can be adjusted while driving, albeit slowly also

Ty4on

Truth.

I'm a big Subaru fan but this is disappointing. The 2014 hatchback looks way, way better than this. And the concept was so damn sexy too.

I just can't get over how much the sides of the 2015 look like a Civic. Zzzzzzzz
It kinda looks like a 2014 Corolla...
Why did Japanese automakers experiment with sleek looking cars in the 90s (SVX, Supra MK3, Prelude 4G) and suddenly stop?

Not every Mercedes. I sat in a pre-facelift E Class with the controls on the seat, but it was an E220D and I think it was only six way (up/down and recline).

I don't have much experience with it, but I've always found them looking much more expensive when mounted on the door or center console. It just makes more sense because you can see them more easily. Putting them on the seat they look just like an option that couldn't be placed anywhere else and that is where they usually are on cars with manual seats in the base models.

AlphaSnake

That's bizzarre. What year was the E-Class? In the US, all E-Classes have them like this:

the-brand-new-mercedes-benz-e-class-interior-9.jpg

My uncle has a 2012, and my buddy used to have a 2008.

Ty4on

That's bizzarre. What year was the E-Class? In the US, all E-Classes have them like this:

My uncle has a 2012, and my buddy used to have a 2008.

European spec have a lot less standard equipment and this was one of the cheaper diesels (E220 I think). I found a review of it and the test car even had massage seats yet the electronic controls were on the seat. A slightly newer 4WD E250 had them on the door so I have no idea what models had what.
Edit: They're far from cheap though. A Tesla Model S bases at the same because there is no regular engine to tax. With a big engine the price easily doubles so nobody buys them :p
bb_85793.jpeg

Here's the gallery from that review. It seems to have been written the summer of 2009.

TomServo

Traded in my '07 RX-8. Wife wants a family in the near future, I want something that can tow, but mainly I just got tired of fighting the RX-8.

Surprisingly it wasn't the engine that gave me trouble, it was the brakes and front suspension. Constant clunking noises. I went through every RX-8 FAQ, DIY, and TSB. Could not get the noises to go away. Dealer that took it didn't even drive it - best of luck to them in sorting that shit out.

Great car to drive, but tacking on a few other little headaches to the constant struggles over the front end it was just too much hassle. Poor man's exotic indeed.

EDIT: One thing that cracked me up was paying for the balance of the new car. I had cash in my account, but I never use checks so I was trying to tell these guys I wanted to run to the bank to get the money. They told me to just use my credit card! This was after dealing with a sales manager that wanted to go to the mattresses over $100. Hey dude, your finance guy just cost you at least 3x that in CC fees. I was ok with it though, I got to use my 1% cash back card, so that lowered my final cost by a bit.

Traded in my '07 RX-8. Wife wants a family in the near future, I want something that can tow, but mainly I just got tired of fighting the RX-8.

Surprisingly it wasn't the engine that gave me trouble, it was the brakes and front suspension. Constant clunking noises. I went through every RX-8 FAQ, DIY, and TSB. Could not get the noises to go away. Dealer that took it didn't even drive it - best of luck to them in sorting that shit out.

Great car to drive, but tacking on a few other little headaches to the constant struggles over the front end it was just too much hassle. Poor man's exotic indeed.

EDIT: One thing that cracked me up was paying for the balance of the new car. I had cash in my account, but I never use checks so I was trying to tell these guys I wanted to run to the bank to get the money. They told me to just use my credit card! This was after dealing with a sales manager that wanted to go to the mattresses over $100. Hey dude, your finance guy just cost you at least 3x that in CC fees. I was ok with it though, I got to use my 1% cash back card, so that lowered my final cost by a bit.
What ya get instead?

Now that the weather is getting colder, I've been prepping the garage space. My S15 will be landing in January so I need to do a few things in order to make the space comfortable.

I've tried to clear up as much floor space as possible. I've bought and installed tire racks. I had some fluorescent lighting installed, and I just finished running audio wires (and power) in the walls for some sounds.

All that's left is to pick a spot for a tv and I'm good to go! Once it warms up in the spring, I'll pull everything out, and paint the walls, and finish the flooring.

The space is a single car garage, but I'm trying to make the most of it!

Looking to get any and all advice.

I bought a used 2008 Honda Civic in April of this year. A few months ago it started having intermittent problems with starting up. I would turn the key and the first couple of times it would make the *chug*...*chug*... sound and then nothing. After a few more attempts it'd finally do the *chug*...*chug*...*chug**chug**chug* and start up. As of late, it's been happening more and more until tonight it just didn't start up no matter how often I tried it. There's no *chug* - I simply turn the key and nothing happens except for the battery starting up/lights turning on/etc.

Took it to the dealership, left it overnight, and they weren't able to replicate the problem. Took it to my local mechanic and he wasn't able to replicate the problem, but he said he heard an electrical sound when turning the ignition. He suspected it may be an ignition switch problem and that it'd be best to take it to the dealership. I've checked my battery at one auto parts store and 2 different mechanics and they've all said it's fine.

Has anyone had similar issues with Civics before? It happens in cold weather and warm weather alike, but as of late has been happening more often in cold.

TomServo

They are thinking about a family. Maybe an Ariel Atom.

Haha, maybe I can talk the wife into that. I took the hit on the (potential) family hauler since I also wanted something that could tow, she can get a fun car.

I got an '07 Trailblazer SS. 47k miles, one owner, clean carfax with full service records. I had looked at newer SUVs like the Explorer and the Durango, but really don't like the trend of mid-sized SUVs going to FWD. I had an Envoy years and years ago and really liked the platform. The only thing I'm not crazy about on the Trailblazer is the old four-speed automatic.

Now, to resist the temptation to mod it...

AlphaSnake

European spec have a lot less standard equipment and this was one of the cheaper diesels (E220 I think). I found a review of it and the test car even had massage seats yet the electronic controls were on the seat. A slightly newer 4WD E250 had them on the door so I have no idea what models had what.
Edit: They're far from cheap though. A Tesla Model S bases at the same because there is no regular engine to tax. With a big engine the price easily doubles so nobody buys them :p
bb_85793.jpeg

Here's the gallery from that review. It seems to have been written the summer of 2009.

Yeah makes sense. In the US we don't have any of the bottom of the barrel Benzes that are bare bones.

coldfoot

Banned

I bought a used 2008 Honda Civic in April of this year. A few months ago it started having intermittent problems with starting up. I would turn the key and the first couple of times it would make the *chug*...*chug*... sound and then nothing. After a few more attempts it'd finally do the *chug*...*chug*...*chug**chug**chug* and start up. As of late, it's been happening more and more until tonight it just didn't start up no matter how often I tried it. There's no *chug* - I simply turn the key and nothing happens except for the battery starting up/lights turning on/etc.

Took it to the dealership, left it overnight, and they weren't able to replicate the problem. Took it to my local mechanic and he wasn't able to replicate the problem, but he said he heard an electrical sound when turning the ignition. He suspected it may be an ignition switch problem and that it'd be best to take it to the dealership. I've checked my battery at one auto parts store and 2 different mechanics and they've all said it's fine.

Has anyone had similar issues with Civics before? It happens in cold weather and warm weather alike, but as of late has been happening more often in cold.

Sounds like you got a weak battery, did they test it to see if it's still strong?

Sounds like a weak battery; you probably have the original battery which would make it over five years old. They'll be pretty cheap for a civic, so you might as well spend the $50 to replace the battery. Even if it doesn't solve the problem (like you said, yours was tested), it's about time to replace it anyway.

If a new battery doesn't take care of it, it could be a failing alternator, voltage regulator, maybe a bad starter.

Edit: I looked around a little, some people have had issues with bad cables/connections causing that problem, so those are worth looking at. If you've had it into a shop they should have checked them, though.

all i can think of is one rock, one animal, one car not seeing you, and your life is over. i would never even dream of going that fast.

Seriously, I might go that fast on that road but a) not for very long and b) nowhere near other cars. The autobahn roads are probably pretty clear of rocks but animals can show up wherever, so yeah.

Clean your battery terminals.

almost crashed my car when i saw a miata drive my way with quite realistic looking teeth in the smile.

Bahahaha.

IMG-20120902-00233.jpg

Happy_Miata.jpg

It's always the NA/NB with them teeth. I thought about adding something like it to my car but the NC's have a massive grill so I probably won't.

On the other hand, having a bright red Miata... I'm thinking of hooking up a red nose and some antlers to get in the spirit of Christmas haha.

I didn't know where else to go, so I figured I'd ask here. My wife just came home and explained that her car started making a squealing noise while she was driving home, and that it stops when the brakes are pressed. I went outside to take a listen and sure enough, there's a squealing noise when the car accelerates and it's coming from the rear driver side tire. Any idea what that could be? Will she be okay to drive it for another day or two? I've done some maintenance on our cars, but i'm no mechanic.

No Love

Banned
I didn't know where else to go, so I figured I'd ask here. My wife just came home and explained that her car started making a squealing noise while she was driving home, and that it stops when the brakes are pressed. I went outside to take a listen and sure enough, there's a squealing noise when the car accelerates and it's coming from the rear driver side tire. Any idea what that could be? Will she be okay to drive it for another day or two? I've done some maintenance on our cars, but i'm no mechanic.

Youll be fine. You most likely have a worn rear brake pad. they are dirt cheap and easy to replace.

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2013/11/next-gen-mazda-mx-5-targets-2200-lb-curb-weight.html

According to German site Auto Motor Und Sport, the new Miata will weigh in somewhere around one metric tonne, or 2,200 pounds. That would make the car just over 200 pounds lighter than the lightest version of today’s car.According to head of development Kiyoshi Fujiwara, Mazda is looking to achieve better performance through lightweight chassis technology rather than forced induction, though a larger displacement naturally aspirated engine is a possibility.

bueno.

AlphaSnake

I'm not sure that is news, though.

The new Miata is a reskinned Alfa-Romeo 4C. We all knew that. :p

No Love

Banned
If the new Miata looks awesome and is truly only 2200 lbs, I will buy one and turn it into a track car. Nothing else will come close other than the Elise/Exige. It'll make the FRS/BRZ look/handle like a fat-pig.

I think Mazda is going to knock this one out of the park. They just need to make it look sexy. I'll pop a roots-type supercharger onto it, E85 it, and have a 300+ whp 2200 lb monster.

Ty4on

its perfect. but why was the clutch replaced at under 100k miles? Should last longer than that...? Did ya ride the shit out of it?

I think it had something to do with this:
So in the past couple of months I've had the release bearing/slave cylinder unit and the master cylinder replaced in my '06 Volvo S40. I have also had the system bled a few times by my mechanic.

Every so often the clutch pedal still feels soft and/or won't return on its own. Any ideas? Still some air in the system, maybe I won the parts lottery and got a bad brand new slave?

its perfect. but why was the clutch replaced at under 100k miles? Should last longer than that...? Did ya ride the shit out of it?

I think it had something to do with this:

Yep. When the engine blew it was at about 4500-5000 rpm, and our best guess is that the very finicky pressure plate didn't like the shock. Long story short the pressure plate was behaving as if some of the fingers were damaged, causing misalignment in the throwout bearing and general tomfoolery. The clutch pedal would throb a ton under light pressure and after replacing the plate there is a lot more weight to the clutch and absolutely zero throbbing. The clutch was replaced as well because it comes as a unit with the pressure plate (the whole unit was only $450 so not too bad).

The funny part was, no shop anywhere in the DFW area had the complete tool for presetting the pressure plate, and none of them had ever done it for a S40 T5 6-speed. One dealer had a partial tool so the shop fabbed up the centering tool for it. Way too much hassle for swapping a clutch.

The clutch itself had plenty of material left but was worn super unevenly from the whack-o pressure plate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom