• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Automotive Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forsete

My bro just spent $1200 to make is car drivable in the winter. :p
It behaves more like a stranded whale than a car when it snows.

Hopefully Nokian Hakkapeliitta 8 will save it this year.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
The new Audi S3 looks sensational and should be a great bargain, imo at around $40K.

Audi A3 > Mercedes-Benz CLA, if only because the A3 has more stuff standard, like leather and a sunroof.

It sucks, though, that you can only get the hatchback as a plug-in hybrid over here.

Any news on the new VW GTI? I know it's hitting the US in the spring, but that's it. If I'm not getting an Abarth, I'm getting a GTI.

EDIT: With the manual, not the dual-clutch. Not gonna risk the problems mentioned earlier.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Another day, another limited-edition Fiat 500. This one is the 1957 Edition, based off of the 500 Lounge model, with retro wheels, badges, and trim.

Fiat_500_1957_Edition%2528a1%2529.jpg

More info here.

GungHo

Single-handedly caused Exxon-Mobil to sue FOX, start World War 3
after all these years you think people would learn not to buy VWs.

The "regular" Passats only come with the DSG on the higher end models, but it looks like the CC might not. It's on my list because my father-in-law recently bought in in Taiwan and I was actually pretty impressed with it. I'm probably going to end up with an Avalon, but I refuse to pay $35+ without shopping around quite a bit.

bcl0328

after all these years you think people would learn not to buy VWs.

i learned, after owning 3 passats...

they always worked fine when i bought them. sure enough after a few months they all had issues. one had ABS die on me, windows scrolled up when i pressed down, a check engine light for code p0036 or something with the cat/o2 sensors (4 of them) that i spent a lot of money trying to fix and just gave up, car would shake and vibrate when i braked, one had smoke from the engine bay from time to time, turn signals randomly fall off the car, and other misc. issues.

ShowDog

Who hasn't wanted to do this when they missed an exit. -_-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AV9zHNSvBXI

I flew past someone doing this on a Southern California highway split (not even an offramp) that had a pretty drastic curve, so no warning. I was furious, as were the people behind based on the horns I'd heard. It was a minivan with several people in it. It was about a month ago and I still get angry thinking about it.

nayrac

I am very unsatisfied with my DSG. It started to make a rattling noise in low gears after 20.000 kms which VW claims is normal. And last time my paddleshifters stopped working. Turning off and on the engine helped though.

Never had that happen in mine but I did get the "let the clutch out wrong jerk jerk jerk SLAM" in traffic. I apologized a lot to passengers.

I'm really curious about the WRX CVT. Didn't F1 use CVTs at some point?

Shapingo

Old?

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/11/17/mercedes-amg-vision-gran-turismo/

Mercedes-Benz just unveiled its latest supercar (which was teased yesterday), the AMG Vision Gran Turismo, but we'll never have the chance to see it on the road. That's because it's a virtual supercar that was designed for the world of Gran Turismo 6, the latest installment in Sony's premier racing game for the Playstation 3. However, it was made into a 1:1-scale model to celebrate the opening of Mercedes-Benz Research & Development Center in Sunnyvale, CA on Nov. 19, so the car isn't totally bound to the virtual world.

The AMG Vision GT has 577 horsepower and 590 pound-feet of torque courtesy of an AMG V8 mounted well behind the front axle for ideal weight distribution - a front-mid layout. The chassis is composed of an aluminum spaceframe with components in carbon fiber, which helps the big GT keep its weight down to 3,053 pounds.

The front-engine, rear-wheel-drive Mercedes features classic GT proportions with modern details, such as the LED radiator grille and a muscular body that looks stretched over the bulging fenders. Like the old 300 SL and the new AMG SLS, the Vision GT also has Gullwing doors. "The design of this concept car reflects to extreme effect the perfect symbiosis between emotional, sensuous contours and intelligently presented high tech," says Gorden Wagener, vice president of design at Daimler AG.

Gran Turismo creator Kazunori Yamauchi asked the world's leading auto manufacturers to create future vehicle concepts for the game to mark the series' 15th birthday this year, and the AMG Vision GT, which you can read more about below, is Mercedes' entry. The concepts are designed around the theme "Vision Gran Turismo," and they'll gradually make their way into the game as drivable vehicles through a series of online updates.

But what we really want is a real AMG Vision GT to drive on real roads because it's just so damn sexy - please, Mercedes!

This needs to happen.............

nqR5dYA.jpg

7FY7xB8.jpg

2bNn2bE.jpg

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Coming from a huge fan of shoe-shaped cars, I think that Mercedes concept looks pretty gross. The proportions are all weird. Especially that hood is waaay too long for just being flat. I do really like that smooth curve in profile that goes from the windshield to the rear. Also that exhaust/tail light part of the rear is pretty great. Except for the fact that 8 exhausts seems a bit excessive. Also, is that thing supposed to be front, mid, or rear-engined? The way it's designed, it looks like it could be anything. It's got the massively long hood indicating front-engine, but then it's got the intake and long high rear that makes it look mid-engined, and then it has that ass hanging out like a 911, making rear-engine seem almost possible.

the new c class
http://www.autoblog.com/photos/2015-mercedes-benz-c-class-spy-shots-0/med/#photo-1574285

it looks kinda weird. the hood seems too low and the back too high. and the rear lights seem too tiny.

Looks exactly like a CLA. The awkward bulge between the grille and headlights is so distracting.

MB's new design language is so schizophrenic. My opinion of it changes daily too .__.

BTW:

normal.jpg

Using a Weissach package-equipped 918 as an example (which reduces the plug-in hybrid supercar's weight through the deletion of some interior items, more generous use of carbon fiber and magnesium wheels), the car's previous official 0-62 miles-per-hour time of 2.8 seconds has been cut to 2.6. Additionally, 0-124 mph takes 7.2 seconds and 0-186 mph is dispatched in 19.9 seconds, times that were reduced by half a second and 2.1 seconds, respectively.

In all-electric mode, a non-Weissach pack 918 does 0-62 mph in 6.2 seconds (with the package, 6.1 seconds), down from 6.9 seconds.

Because posting a sub 7:00 time on the 'ring wasn't good enough.

That livery is ugly as fuck though. Martini pls.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Looks exactly like a CLA. The awkward bulge between the grille and headlights is so distracting.

MB's new design language is so schizophrenic. My opinion of it changes daily too .__.

BTW:

normal.jpg

Because posting a sub 7:00 time on the 'ring wasn't good enough.

That livery is ugly as fuck though. Martini pls.

That's the Salzburg design, which was worn on the 917 race car that won Le Mans in 1970.

You take that back.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
I can't stop the flow of semen from my body.

It's been a 2 and a half hour orgasm.

It's the best thing I've laid my eyes on ever. It's perfect. Nothing can touch it. It will be mine next year.

Rengoku

That F-Type coupe is absolutely stunning. Definitely considered one, but I know I won't be able to live with it knowing the amount of depreciation these Jags go through.

xnipx

Lease or buy? I love switching cars every few years and I'm tired of being upside down every time. Any downsides to leasing besides the mileage limits?

ShowDog

Guys guys guys BRZ shooting brake

I'm sorry but some combination of the color, hideous plastic trim around the bottom and increased ride height makes this look like an ugly crossover bastard SUV. Hopefully they can sort it out because a BRZ shooting brake should be really fantastic.

Wubby

I'm liking the new 510 (Bluebird) concept. Too bad a production version wouldn't be here for 3 to 4 years if it does get green-lit (doubtful I fear).

Kambing

Okay guys/gals,

Opinion time. Already have a jaguar xjl supercharged, good family car with lady and daughter. Considering a audi r8 v10 or or nissan gtr black edition for myself. Will be buying used, so prices relatively speaking should be $140,000 vs $90,000. Which one would you chose and why. Purchase time frame is in exactly 1 year. Kind of would like to commit to one car within the week so i can start visualizing it in my garage. I have driven both cars and if possible i would like to own both... but garage will only fit one, and wallet will only permit one lol.

AlphaSnake

CVT transmission for the auto. :\

Dual-clutch that shit, Subaru. Wtf. If Ford is sticking DCTs in there bottom of the barrel crap, you should be happily using them in your mid-level performance cars. How unfortunate and way to kill the enthusiasm the community could've had for this car.

AlphaSnake

Okay guys/gals,

Opinion time. Already have a jaguar xjl supercharged, good family car with lady and daughter. Considering a audi r8 v10 or or nissan gtr black edition for myself. Will be buying used, so prices relatively speaking should be $140,000 vs $90,000. Which one would you chose and why. Purchase time frame is in exactly 1 year. Kind of would like to commit to one car within the week so i can start visualizing it in my garage. I have driven both cars and if possible i would like to own both... but garage will only fit one, and wallet will only permit one lol.

I love my brother's R8 V10...but the interior of the car is a decade old (it's virtually an Audi TT interior). The GTR's interior may not be spectacular, but it's better than the outdated Audi. Also, since you're looking at used, you're not getting the refined dual clutch in the V10. The single-clutch Gallardo unit isn't horrible, but it's still eh. The GTR is a bigger car, more comfortable, more fuel efficient, and far more usable everyday than the R8. At the same time, the GTR gives up nothing to the R8 in performance, and you're saving 50K. Plus the GTR has a more refined dual clutch transmission.

The Audi may look a lot prettier and better sitting in a garage, but that's sort of where it ends for me. Love the car, but I'd get a GTR and save the coin. Or you can split the middle and get yourself a 2013/2014 BMW M6 which my brother also has...and well, that is an absolutely sensational car for the money.

No Love

Banned
I love my brother's R8 V10...but the interior of the car is a decade old (it's virtually an Audi TT interior). The GTR's interior may not be spectacular, but it's better than the outdated Audi. Also, since you're looking at used, you're not getting the refined dual clutch in the V10. The single-clutch Gallardo unit isn't horrible, but it's still eh. The GTR is a bigger car, more comfortable, more fuel efficient, and far more usable everyday than the R8. At the same time, the GTR gives up nothing to the R8 in performance, and you're saving 50K. Plus the GTR has a more refined dual clutch transmission.

The Audi may look a lot prettier and better sitting in a garage, but that's sort of where it ends for me. Love the car, but I'd get a GTR and save the coin. Or you can split the middle and get yourself a 2013/2014 BMW M6 which my brother also has...and well, that is an absolutely sensational car for the money.

Agreed. GTR is a monstrous car. But by next year, you might be able to get a 2015 R36 GTR?

And if you get a BMW M6... get the Gran Coupe. It's beautiful.

subaru sales are going up, so maybe boring but more performance oriented vehicles is what they need to be doing.

hmmm even the rear is boring.

ku-xlarge.jpg

kinda curious about the cvt. Are there any cvt on the market tuned for performance over mpg?

Kambing

Thanks for the response. But $140,000 actually took into account getting a double clutch v10 audi r8. In fact, if i could not get an R8 that is a V10 double clutch this time next year, i would not even consider it. Yeah i suppose at the end of the day, paying for the r8 is really just for a bigger epeen on the road. Not sure if it is worth $50-70k... But damn man, its just so classic in my opinion, the design of the R8.

Agreed. GTR is a monstrous car. But by next year, you might be able to get a 2015 R36 GTR?

And if you get a BMW M6... get the Gran Coupe. It's beautiful.

I love the BMW... The 3 series was my first real awesome car. No matter what anyone says it has a place in my heart. But i don't know if i would want to try the same grass twice you know? As they say, it's always greener on the other side and variety is the spice of life!

AlphaSnake

Don't get the M6 Gran Coupe love. It's way too long and bulky to be legit imo.

It's not much longer than a 6-series coupe. And I believe shorter than the 5-series.

Sooo...it's definitely not too long or bulky, considering the M5 is gigantic.

No Love

Banned
Thanks for the response. But $140,000 actually took into account getting a double clutch v10 audi r8. In fact, if i could not get an R8 that is a V10 double clutch this time next year, i would not even consider it. Yeah i suppose at the end of the day, paying for the r8 is really just for a bigger epeen on the road. Not sure if it is worth $50-70k... But damn man, its just so classic in my opinion, the design of the R8.

I love the BMW... The 3 series was my first real awesome car. No matter what anyone says it has a place in my heart. But i don't know if i would want to try the same grass twice you know? As they say, it's always greener on the other side and variety is the spice of life!

Sir, no epeen with the R8. The GTR makes the R8 its bitch. R8 just has that 'exotic factor', but I'd rather have a Ferrari than the R8 for that money. Or a lightly used Aston Martin.

Cruceh

Banned
I actually like the understated look of the new WRX. Less rice than the current generation at least. I'll wait for the sti in January and see which one would be better for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom