• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Automotive Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
JackEtc said:
Do I have a DSG transmission? I just found out about this Launch Control thing that you can do with a lot of VW's with DSG, but all the videos and forum posts I see on it are either in GTIs or 2.0T, GLI, or TDI Jettas, nothing about 2.5's. My gear-shift looks the same though.

I'm scared to even try that in my car if I don't have a DSG tranny, but my gear-shifter looks similar, and I can drive in both automatic and manual...I'm just not sure if there is a different type of tranny that can drive in auto and manual that isn't a DSG.

I apologize for all of the stupid questions I've asked in this thread, but it's my first car, and I really have no clue about any of this. I've learned a lot about cars, but some stuff I just don't know about.

Thanks.
Press the brake, rev to ~2.5-3K, release the brake, while pressing gas all the way? I thought you could do that in any car that has any kind of manual shift control, like tiptronic, etc. As long as you're sure you're in the 1st gear when you launch, I don't see what bad can happen? I might be wrong, but I thought this was a common sense, as you'd get best launch speeds in the RPM range where the engine has the most torque.

JackEtc

Lord Error said:
Press the brake, rev to ~2.5-3K, release the brake, while pressing gas all the way? I thought you could do that in any car that has any kind of manual shift control, like tiptronic, etc. As long as you're sure you're in the 1st gear when you launch, I don't see what bad can happen? I might be wrong, but I thought this was a common sense, as you'd get best launch speeds in the RPM range where the engine has the most torque.
I threw it in Sport Mode, revved, and my wheels started spinning immediately, working against the brakes. =\

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
JackEtc said:
I threw it in Sport Mode, revved, and my wheels started spinning immediately, working against the brakes. =\

Dude, please don't listen to random BS on a forum. You have a torque converter in your car, that means your transmission and motor are always engaged and spinning (this is why your car rolls forward when you let off the brakes, as opposed to a manual transmission where you engage the transmission and engine with the clutch).

A DSG has no torque converter, but rather a pair of clutches that engage automatically. If you own a car with a DCT (dual clutch transmission) you can perform launch control with ease - since holding down the brake and hitting the gas usually tells the car to disengage the clutches until you let off the brake and then it launches.

AlphaSnake

Lord Error said:

You are seriously a fucking idiot. Don't tell people to do something so stupid and dangerous (seriously, flooring the gas while holding the brake!?) if you don't know wtf you're talking about. You just told him how to destroy his transmission and put a hurting on his brake rotors. If you are uninformed, don't open your mouth.

And I know we have a mod reading this thread, and I know there was a warning made for personal attacks, but stuff like that seriously bothers me to no end. It's simply irresponsible to suggest that without a grain of knowledge. You just put someone's $20K car into jeopardy.

Luckily for JackEtc he didn't push the throttle too far down and got scared off. If he did, his transmission would've definitely been hurting.

Enron

Banned
AlphaSnake said:
And I know we have a mod reading this thread, and I know there was a warning made for personal attacks, but stuff like that seriously bothers me to no end. It's simply irresponsible to suggest that without a grain of knowledge. You just put someone's $20K car into jeopardy.

He did say he wasn't sure and that he might be wrong. Maybe the guy with the $20k car should have vetted the info a little better before trying it.

JackEtc

AlphaSnake said:
Dude, please don't listen to random BS on a forum. You have a torque converter in your car, that means your transmission and motor are always engaged and spinning (this is why your car rolls forward when you let off the brakes, as opposed to a manual transmission where you engage the transmission and engine with the clutch).

A DSG has no torque converter, but rather a pair of clutches that engage automatically. If you own a car with a DCT (dual clutch transmission) you can perform launch control with ease - since holding down the brake and hitting the gas usually tells the car to disengage the clutches until you let off the brake and then it launches.
Thanks for the explanation.
AlphaSnake said:

Luckily for JackEtc he didn't push the throttle too far down and got scared off. If he did, his transmission would've definitely been hurting.
Enron said:
He did say he wasn't sure and that he might be wrong. Maybe the guy with the $20k car should have vetted the info a little better before trying it.
11k to be fair, it was used. And I only revved it to maybe 1,500 RPM (Idles at 1,000), and then the wheels started going, so I don't think any harm was done.

And yeah, I know I need to do more research, it's just it's my first car and I have no idea about anything. I need to buy a fucking manual for this car.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
AlphaSnake said:
You are seriously a fucking idiot. Don't tell people to do something so stupid and dangerous (seriously, flooring the gas while holding the brake!?).

for that car maybe, but from what I remember, that was pretty much the procedure for my SMG M3 launch control

AlphaSnake

mrklaw said:
for that car maybe, but from what I remember, that was pretty much the procedure for my SMG M3 launch control

99% of cars today don't have fancy automatic transmissions yet.

JackEtc

BoobPhysics101 said:
I personally find it hilarious that ANYONE would think a Jetta 2.5 would have launch control; seriously?
A lot of them do now. I was just curious because my gear shifter had the manual option, and looked similar to the DSG shifter, and I wasn't sure about it. Again, first car.

JackEtc said:
A lot of them do now. I was just curious because my gear shifter had the manual option, and looked similar to the DSG shifter, and I wasn't sure about it. Again, first car.

What is 'them'? Almost no economy sedans have launch control from the factory. It's typically a feature on sporty models or sports cars, like the Jetta GLI in your case (which has DSG).

JackEtc

BoobPhysics101 said:
What is 'them'? Almost no economy sedans have launch control from the factory. It's typically a feature on sporty models or sports cars, like the Jetta GLI in your case (which has DSG).
A lot of Jettas do, like (you said) the GLI. But....

1. The only thing on the back of my Jetta is the VW logo and the word "Jetta" (Both are blacked out), the other word like "2.5" or "GLI" is missing, so I wasn't super sure if mine was a 2.5. I know, stupid.

2. I had never seen the inside of another MKV Jetta 2.5, so I assumed that, like any other car, it would just be straight automatic, no fancy "manual gear selection" (the + and -) thing like mine has. SO, when I saw the DSG gear shifter, and saw it had the + and -, and I wondered if mine was a DSG.

JackEtc said:
A lot of Jettas do, like (you said) the GLI. But....

1. The only thing on the back of my Jetta is the VW logo and the word "Jetta" (Both are blacked out), the other word like "2.5" or "GLI" is missing, so I wasn't super sure if mine was a 2.5. I know, stupid.

2. I had never seen the inside of another MKV Jetta 2.5, so I assumed that, like any other car, it would just be straight automatic, no fancy "manual gear selection" (the + and -) thing like mine has. SO, when I saw the DSG gear shifter, and saw it had the + and -, and I wondered if mine was a DSG.

Fair enough, I can see the reason for confusion.

Update on the S2000 front: Decided I'm going to buy the Laguna Blue '06 S2000 for sure, now I just need to sell my '02.

Also, my friend is including all of his modifications with the car because he's too lazy to part them out. He's charging an extra $4k for them, so the total will be $19k. If I sell all of the parts for what they reasonably go for on the used market, the total value of all the mods is $7k. Since he's gifting the car to me (no tax or registration fees!), I'll effectively be getting a mint '06 AP2 for $12.6k (since I'm keeping FlashPro, which is worth $600) once I sell the mods.

Right now I've got my AP1 listed up for $14k bone stock, will probably end up taking $13.5k for it, and once I sell all of the mods for it I'll have about $21k. Very happy about all of this, now I just have to wait for somebody to buy it, hopefully with the hardtop included...

Pein

Banned
Buying a rsx for my sister this week, good beginning car I think. I started with my G35 and it was a misguided decision for a dude with almost zero experience.

Pein said:
Buying a rsx for my sister this week, good beginning car I think. I started with my G35 and it was a misguided decision for a dude with almost zero experience.

Good choice. I had an RSX before and they're excellent cars whether the base model or Type S. G35 is a pretty bad car to start with, I agree...

If it's a base RSX, they get up to 500 miles on a single tank if driven all highway. Type S gets a little less, about 400-420 max on a tank.

akachan ningen said:
the vw gti for example. actually, I think all the cars they have with DSG also have the option to use the lever to shift.
You just blew my mind.

EDIT: Oh wait. Is it lever exclusive? My original point was to question if there were any lever exclusive, I probably should have made that clearer.

AlphaSnake

33-Hit-Combo said:
Lever as in, non-paddles. Stick like the tiptronic stick that Jetta has, earlier in the discussion.

Most dual clutch cars allow you to use the shift knob to switch gears, actually. You either slide it to the left or right and you'll be inside a gate labeled +/-

minx

Pein said:
When you day to start with do you mean your first car?

AlphaSnake said:
Most dual clutch cars allow you to use the shift knob to switch gears, actually. You either slide it to the left or right and you'll be inside a gate labeled +/-

As mentioned above, I was in fact talking about lever exclusive vehicles.

drewbian

Neo Member
Just got approved so I thought I would share what happened to my friends BMW E36 M3 2 years ago. We had a really bad hailstorm here in Indy and he was living in an apartment at the time.

Needless to say, it got hammered pretty bad:
Hail.jpg

hail%2525202.jpg

hail%2525207.jpg

hail%2525208.jpg

hail%2525203.jpg

Luckily insurance paid to fix it instead of totaling it out.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Pein said:

You know what is a good beginner car? A Civic.

cbox

Has anyone plasti-dipped their rims here? My cousin introduced me to it tonight and I've become interested. I have 16" alloys that i'd like to be matte black, thoughts?

Seems like a good way to refresh my cars look (new 2010 mazda 3 gs hatch) without spending 2-3k on new rims which I haven't done before...

MisterNoisy

ConvenientBox said:
Has anyone plasti-dipped their rims here? My cousin introduced me to it tonight and I've become interested. I have 16" alloys that i'd like to be matte black, thoughts?

Seems like a good way to refresh my cars look (new 2010 mazda 3 gs hatch) without spending 2-3k on new rims which I haven't done before...

I'd imagine that having them powdercoated would be much more durable (if also more expensive and much more permanent), but I'm willing to be proven wrong.

AlphaSnake

vangace said:

Yes! Another 370Z owner!

Welcome, good sir! I have a Black Cherry. Did you register at The370z.com forums yet?

Edit: Nevermind. Just came across your thread there. Welcome! :D

Zyzyxxz

wow we got alot of Z owners.

It would be cool if we compile a list of what cars GAFers owns to see how the manufacturers split among GAF.

leonfaria04

Neo Member
This is my car, i have it since 2008, im selling it right now to get a corvette z06
i got 490 rwhp with an auto trans, i just build everything by myself except painting.

Some day i will post pics of my sport cars

drewbian said:
Just got approved so I thought I would share what happened to my friends BMW E36 M3 2 years ago. We had a really bad hailstorm here in Indy and he was living in an apartment at the time.
Damn, there must have been loads of cars hammered like that?!

cbox

MisterNoisy said:
I'd imagine that having them powdercoated would be much more durable (if also more expensive and much more permanent), but I'm willing to be proven wrong.

yeah I looked into powdercoating, I guess the painting method would be before that

Viperbah

leonfaria04 said:
This is my car, i have it since 2008, im selling it right now to get a corvette z06
i got 490 rwhp with an auto trans, i just build everything by myself except painting.

Some day i will post pics of my sport cars

Nice KR, why did you swap in an auto tranny?

AlphaSnake

ConvenientBox said:
I like the 350z more, those lights on the 70 just don't do it for me

They look leagues better once they're painted black inside, like mine. The 350Z's headlights look like squares in comparison.

leonfaria04

Neo Member
bah321 said:
Nice KR, why did you swap in an auto tranny?

Its not a kr, is a GT with 302 ztroke and a procharger... With the gt500 KR body, it was expensive but here (venezuela) we dont have super sport cars, you have to build it yourself lol

grego9198

doitlive said:
If they don't care about driving at all then yes, if they do then a miata would be the perfect car.

+1

A miata would be an excellent first car as long as you don't need a lot of cargo space.

They're very reliable, easy to work on, RWD and not enough power to get you into trouble but are still a lot of fun to drive. I recently sold my '99 to go down to one car with my fiancee, but I'd definitely look into one again down the line.

The G35 sedan we have now is a lot more luxurious but is void of the fun-ness that a lightweight car has.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom