• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Automotive Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Viperbah

leonfaria04 said:
Its not a kr, is a GT with 302 ztroke and a procharger... With the gt500 KR body, it was expensive but here (venezuela) we dont have super sport cars, you have to build it yourself lol

Oh damn, ok. Well the build looks clean.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
I'm bouncing back to the Fiat 500 now. The local Fiat studio in West Palm Beach is up and running now (it's a separate showroom from the Chrysler-Dodge-Jeep-Ram showroom), and they have a Sport model optioned up with the things I want on the lot- Rosso, automatic, satellite radio, convenience package (alarm, heated front seats, spare tire, automatic temperature control), and no sunroof.

They also have some 500C models on the lot, too, fwiw. They look so adorable...

I forgot how frustrating it is selling a car.

90% of the people contacting me about it are either flakes, lowballers, or they don't read the ad at all so they keep asking me if it's $13.5k with the Mugen carbon fiber hardtop, KW V3's, and Enkei wheels. Yeah, 'cause I'm just gonna sell a car that's worth that much bone stock with thousands worth of aftermarket parts thrown in for free because I hate money or something.

There do seem to be a couple of serious buyers but we'll see how it goes. Hoping by this time next week I'll have my AP1 sold and be driving my AP2. :)

BoobPhysics101 said:

90% of the people contacting me about it are either flakes, lowballers, or they don't read the ad at all so they keep asking me if it's $13.5k with the Mugen carbon fiber hardtop, KW V3's, and Enkei wheels. Yeah, 'cause I'm just gonna sell a car that's worth that much bone stock with thousands worth of aftermarket parts thrown in for free because I hate money or something.

There do seem to be a couple of serious buyers but we'll see how it goes. Hoping by this time next week I'll have my AP1 sold and be driving my AP2. :)

Maybe you should post a picture of the car without the parts that you're going to keep.

Jamesfrom818 said:
Maybe you should post a picture of the car without the parts that you're going to keep.

That's a great idea but there's a couple of downsides to it:

1. I'm willing to include the mods with the car if paid for, and will even give a good deal on them. They're high quality mods so there's some people out there that would really want them.

2. It's my daily driver and driving it on stock AP1 rims and suspension would suck.

3. The irony about the mods is that they make the car look so amazing that it entices people to inquire about the car, and some are even willing to pay for them. But then there's many that are too ignorant/cheap to buy quality parts.

There's upsides and downsides to both, but I may have to end up going with your idea.

BoobPhysics101 said:
That's a great idea but there's a couple of downsides to it:

1. I'm willing to include the mods with the car if paid for, and will even give a good deal on them. They're high quality mods so there's some people out there that would really want them.

2. It's my daily driver and driving it on stock AP1 rims and suspension would suck.

3. The irony about the mods is that they make the car look so amazing that it entices people to inquire about the car, and some are even willing to pay for them. But then there's many that are too ignorant/cheap to buy quality parts.

There's upsides and downsides to both, but I may have to end up going with your idea.

I think that if the mods are visually enticing people, then it may be attracting the wrong people. If they're included (off the car) and listed, then that will certainly catch the right people. As you said, some people are ignorant. Maybe just state in the title that mods are also available for purchase.

As for driving it around in base state, does your daily drive really let you thrash it around to make enough of a difference?

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
33-Hit-Combo said:
I think that if the mods are visually enticing people, then it may be attracting the wrong people. If they're included (off the car) and listed, then that will certainly catch the right people. As you said, some people are ignorant. Maybe just state in the title that mods are also available for purchase.

As for driving it around in base state, does your daily drive really let you thrash it around to make enough of a difference?
I agree that it does sound a bit like an advertising problem.

pje122

6bhlE.jpg

n0n44m

haha the airbags didn't even bother to do anything

I guess the story is 21st century cars > 20th century cars ?

I would rage soooooo hard

Her driving position looks as if it is begging for an accident though. She can barely see over the wheel and it's angled upwards, only just within reach of her arms.

On behalf of Asians, I apologise...

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
pje122 said:
Infuriating images

I am beyond pissed looking at these photos. Seriously, just insert stereotypical saying about Asian drivers *here* - that's how I feel.

Poor classics.

Zyzyxxz

Look I am Asian and I am a pretty awesome driver but middle aged Asian drivers can't drive for shit I must admit.

In fact I usually try to avoid middle-aged Asian female drivers just because I've had so many bad experiences on the road. The rich ones tend to drive big cars that they think will drive like that 89 corolla they first drove when they moved to this country.

AlphaSnake

Zyzyxxz said:
Look I am Asian and I am a pretty awesome driver but middle aged Asian drivers can't drive for shit I must admit.

In fact I usually try to avoid middle-aged Asian female drivers just because I've had so many bad experiences on the road. The rich ones tend to drive big cars that they think will drive like that 89 corolla they first drove when they moved to this country.

Yeah. Immigrant Asians are horrific. But the ones born here are actually perfectly fine. I have a lot of Asian friends who all drive nice cars, and drive them well. But they make fun of their parents' driving skills like there's no tomorrow. LOL

The problem is that the United States is way too lax, any moron can get a license here. In European countries they require much more out of you, in addition to only being able to take the test driving stick - no automatics.

pje122

Well, from what I could gather from the photos, there was another variable in this equation of sadness...

Age + Asian +
???????
= R.I.P. GTO

AlphaSnake

pje122 said:
Well, from what I could gather from the photos, there was another variable in this equation of sadness...

Age + Asian +
???????
= R.I.P. GTO

Thankfully that's actually NOT a GTO. It's just a LeMans, apparently. Still, a sporty Tempest and it's a sad sight to see.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
AlphaSnake said:
Yeah. Immigrant Asians are horrific. But the ones born here are actually perfectly fine. I have a lot of Asian friends who all drive nice cars, and drive them well. But they make fun of their parents' driving skills like there's no tomorrow. LOL

The problem is that the United States is way too lax, any moron can get a license here. In European countries they require much more out of you, in addition to only being able to take the test driving stick - no automatics.
My mom is asian and married to a white guy who is the worst driver I've ever seen.

AlphaSnake

Angry Grimace said:
My mom is asian and married to a white guy who is the worst driver I've ever seen.

Hey, my buddy is my age, and just about the worst driver I know. I'm not saying there aren't bad white people drivers. It's just a shame that car culture in the US is not prevalent as it is in other countries.

BoobPhysics101 said:

This is what americans do, we are hoping that you will eventually include them. A No isn't a no hehehehehe.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
BoobPhysics101 said:

That's not as bad as trying to sell a slightly modded Mazda3 5-door (lowering springs, exhaust, tints), and then having a bunch of women with their boyfriends look at the car and proclaim that they can't agree to the price because they would have to spend money removing the mods.

BoobPhysics101 said:

The last thing I want to do is buy a sports-car that has been modded by somebody I don't know.

reilo said:
That's not as bad as trying to sell a slightly modded Mazda3 5-door (lowering springs, exhaust, tints), and then having a bunch of women with their boyfriends look at the car and proclaim that they can't agree to the price because they would have to spend money removing the mods.
Most people just want a car that looks good to put around in, they don't want a car that's less comfortable and louder than a normal one.

Adding to this: I see a car on lowered-springs with engine mods and I think: This car was driven hard by somebody irresponsible, so how much time has this thing spent bouncing off the rev limiter and how much will it cost for a new clutch...because it needs one.

Dave Inc. said:
The last thing I want to do is buy a sports-car that has been modded by somebody I don't know.

Most people just want a car that looks good to put around in, they don't want a car that's less comfortable and louder than a normal one.

Adding to this: I see a car on lowered-springs with engine mods and I think: This car was driven hard by somebody irresponsible, so how much time has this thing spent bouncing off the rev limiter and how much will it cost for a new clutch...because it needs one.

My mods aren't cheap. None of the parts on my car are. Anyone that knows S2K's knows that the stuff on my car was put on by somebody who took time and care in what they did to the car. Anyone that doesn't know jack would think whatever they want I guess. :p

Also, that's a biased way of thinking... maybe if it's a cheap exhaust and lowering springs it can be a reasonable thought. But to immediately assume that of any modded car... nah. Too much of a generalization. I would totally buy a car with certain coilovers/wheel setups/tuning solutions already thrown in. It'd most likely be cheaper than buying the stuff myself! It's not common, but there's a lot of enthusiasts out there like myself that strive to only put quality parts on the car.

ssolitare said:
This is what americans do, we are hoping that you will eventually include them. A No isn't a no hehehehehe.

I guess it's good that I seem to be smarter than the avg American. ;) Somewhat.

reilo said:

I could see that happening. Even though it costs nothing to remove the mods. For a Mazda3 though I can totally see people bitching because they want it stock.

negitoro7

Does anyone have a Protege 5 here or used to? I need a reliable 4 door compact hatchback and budget is rather tight. Haven't test driven one yet but I'm already worried it'll be too gutless with its 130 hp engine. Will be getting it in either 5 spd manual, or the 2003 version of its automatic.

negitoro7 said:
Does anyone have a Protege 5 here or used to? I need a reliable 4 door compact hatchback and budget is rather tight. Haven't test driven one yet but I'm already worried it'll be too gutless with its 130 hp engine. Will be getting it in either 5 spd manual, or the 2003 version of its automatic.

It's an awesome car, an excellent precursor to the Mazda 3 of today. My roommate had it in 5 speed manual and it was very, very solid. Get it in stick for sure. :)

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
negitoro7 said:
It feels quick and handles like a Tron light cycle. It is not a beast but it is not gutless either. I love it.

Halvie

Banned
Dave Inc. said:

Service records? Who drops the cash for parts like KW V3 and Mugen CF parts that beats the fuck out of their car? Never understood that line of thought.

Yeah I drive my car hard, but guess what...I also change the oil way before what the manufacturer calls for using better oil than they would put in at the dealership, I paid to have the valves hand cleaned with 15k on the car, paid for an oil analysis, Let the car warm up / cool down before starting/shutting if off every single time I drive, ect. Take better car of my car than any non-car person regardless of not driving it like a granny.

If you are looking at a beater pos car with a fart can on it I can understand the concern. Doubt many people who drop 30k+ on mods are trashing their cars...

edit: Also if people want a stock car why the fuck are they looking at modded cars...

mrklaw

MrArseFace
twinturbo2 said:
I'm bouncing back to the Fiat 500 now. The local Fiat studio in West Palm Beach is up and running now (it's a separate showroom from the Chrysler-Dodge-Jeep-Ram showroom), and they have a Sport model optioned up with the things I want on the lot- Rosso, automatic, satellite radio, convenience package (alarm, heated front seats, spare tire, automatic temperature control), and no sunroof.

They also have some 500C models on the lot, too, fwiw. They look so adorable...

one of our neighbours has just bought a new fiat 500. Dark Matt Grey, looks amazing

BoobPhysics101 said:
My mods aren't cheap. None of the parts on my car are. Anyone that knows S2K's knows that the stuff on my car was put on by somebody who took time and care in what they did to the car. Anyone that doesn't know jack would think whatever they want I guess. :p

Also, that's a biased way of thinking... maybe if it's a cheap exhaust and lowering springs it can be a reasonable thought. But to immediately assume that of any modded car... nah. Too much of a generalization. I would totally buy a car with certain coilovers/wheel setups/tuning solutions already thrown in. It'd most likely be cheaper than buying the stuff myself! It's not common, but there's a lot of enthusiasts out there like myself that strive to only put quality parts on the car.
I know your driving and maintenance habits... how? There are plenty of people who have bought expensive and appropriate mods that have flogged and beat their cars hard.

Now, you can say that someone who really knows S2000s may be able to tell the particular attention to detail you paid, but in the long run most people won't, and most people will just see it as a sign that you were Mr. Race-car.

Halvie said:
Service records? Who drops the cash for parts like KW V3 and Mugen CF parts that beats the fuck out of their car? Never understood that line of thought.

Yeah I drive my car hard, but guess what...I also change the oil way before what the manufacturer calls for using better oil than they would put in at the dealership, I paid to have the valves hand cleaned with 15k on the car, paid for an oil analysis, Let the car warm up / cool down before starting/shutting if off every single time I drive, ect. Take better car of my car than any non-car person regardless of not driving it like a granny.

If you are looking at a beater pos car with a fart can on it I can understand the concern. Doubt many people who drop 30k+ on mods are trashing their cars...

edit: Also if people want a stock car why the fuck are they looking at modded cars...
If you keep good service records that's a very good thing but, at best, it's just going to salvage some of the money you spent on parts.

I don't know how many times I've heard "Oh I've taken great care of the engine, blah blah blah," and "blah blah blah" is all I hear because 99% of the time it's complete and utter bullshit. I'm just going to take you at your word that you've always let the engine warm up properly and give you $1000 more because of it? Yeah right.

And when people are looking for cars they just go into a search engine and type in the car. They'll start looking around and most people either won't notice any modifications or immediately turn away. A big part of the value hit for modding is the huge portion of people who won't give it a second glance, people buying cars know that only 5% of the people looking for your car want one that's all modded out and they'll make offers based on that knowledge.

Another important factor is that I'm pretty sure most people who modify their cars want to modify their cars. They don't want to go out and buy one that's already been worked on because it's not really theirs, do you catch my meaning?

You can argue my points all you like but it's a fact that modded cars are more difficult to sell and will never, ever recoup parts cost in any significant way.

drewbian

Neo Member
negitoro7 said:

I owned a yellow one for a number of years before I flipped it. It is an amazing car and feels quicker than it looks on paper. Test drive it and you will be surprised by how tight it feels and it has a decent amount of go. I wish I would have got another one instead of getting a Mazda3.

negitoro7

drewbian said:
I owned a yellow one for a number of years before I flipped it. It is an amazing car and feels quicker than it looks on paper. Test drive it and you will be surprised by how tight it feels and it has a decent amount of go. I wish I would have got another one instead of getting a Mazda3.
Interesting you'd say that, cause an option I'm considering is shelling out more money than I should and getting a Mazda 3 Sport. Was the P5 a lot more "fun" for you despite being older tech and having the weaker engine? Curious why you wish you got another one over the Mazda3.

drewbian

Neo Member
negitoro7 said:
Interesting you'd say that, cause an option I'm considering is shelling out more money than I should and getting a Mazda 3 Sport. Was the P5 a lot more "fun" for you despite being older tech and having the weaker engine? Curious why you wish you got another one over the Mazda3.

Part of it is probably personal bias. I loved the styling of the MP5 a lot and the car just "felt" better. Honestly, it has been years since I owned my MP5 so it could be part nostalgia. The Mazda3 is a fun little car and is no slouch, but I just remember the MP5 feeling more fun. I would go test drive both, just to see what fits you better. It could be me just yearning for my old car and making me remember it better than it was. I still think the MP5s are underrated and are much better cars than most people realize.

MisterNoisy

BoobPhysics101 said:

I think your best bet will be to either sell the car to a member of the enthusiast community that will appreciate these things, or bring the car back to stock and sell the car and the parts separately.

Mobius 1

twinturbo2 said:
FWIW, Fiat USA's marketing campaign will ramp up on the July 4th holiday. It's an important date for Fiat fans: July 4th, 1957 was when the original Cinqueciento was unveiled, and the Nuova 500 made its debut in Italy on July 4th, 2007.

Hot dogs, apple pie, fireworks, and cute Italian munchkin cars. I can't argue with that combo.

The FIAT dealership is almost ready for opening right next to my place. They already have the flags fluttering in the wind. Gives me good memories, my first car was a FIAT Uno and my family and friends have a history with the marque.

I might go there on opening day and pretend I'm thinking of ditching the STI for a 500 just to get a test drive.

Dave Inc. said:
I know your driving and maintenance habits... how? There are plenty of people who have bought expensive and appropriate mods that have flogged and beat their cars hard.

Now, you can say that someone who really knows S2000s may be able to tell the particular attention to detail you paid, but in the long run most people won't, and most people will just see it as a sign that you were Mr. Race-car.

If you keep good service records that's a very good thing but, at best, it's just going to salvage some of the money you spent on parts.

I don't know how many times I've heard "Oh I've taken great care of the engine, blah blah blah," and "blah blah blah" is all I hear because 99% of the time it's complete and utter bullshit. I'm just going to take you at your word that you've always let the engine warm up properly and give you $1000 more because of it? Yeah right.

And when people are looking for cars they just go into a search engine and type in the car. They'll start looking around and most people either won't notice any modifications or immediately turn away. A big part of the value hit for modding is the huge portion of people who won't give it a second glance, people buying cars know that only 5% of the people looking for your car want one that's all modded out and they'll make offers based on that knowledge.

Another important factor is that I'm pretty sure most people who modify their cars want to modify their cars. They don't want to go out and buy one that's already been worked on because it's not really theirs, do you catch my meaning?

You can argue my points all you like but it's a fact that modded cars are more difficult to sell and will never, ever recoup parts cost in any significant way.

Dude, it's a fucking S2000. There's something wrong if it hasn't been driven hard.It was meant to be raced on a track straight out of the showroom! Plus it's not hard to tell if the car is on point with the clutch, engine, suspension etc. That being said, S2000 owners treat their cars much better than Evo/STi owners, that's for sure.

Actually, yes, I do let the engine warm up properly, most S2K owners do. Plus, you can't rev past 6k RPM until the engine is at full operating temperature because it has a hard rev limiter that prevents engine damage if you want to go on about properly warming up engines. Trust me, once you hit that 6k rev limiter you quickly learn to watch the operating temps. Besides, what kind of dumbass would rev to 9k RPM on a cold engine anyways?

Eh, I'm really not too worried about it because I'll recoup all of my cost on parts. If I sell all of my S2K parts I'll have about $8k, and $2.5k of that is profit. So much for never recouping parts cost in a significant way huh? ;P

An S2000 is an enthusiast's car so anyone buying a modded one is almost always an enthusiast, anyone that's not an enthusiast should just something that doesn't require such attention to detail, like a Civic Si or WRX.

Oh yeah, a guy is coming today that's very serious about buying the car. He loves the mods that I put on it and he's willing to pay the asking price for some of them, the rest I'll take off and sell or put on my AP2. We'll see how it goes, he'll be here in about 8 hours.

BoobPhysics101 said:
Dude, it's a fucking S2000. There's something wrong if it hasn't been driven hard.It was meant to be raced on a track straight out of the showroom! Plus it's not hard to tell if the car is on point with the clutch, engine, suspension etc. That being said, S2000 owners treat their cars much better than Evo/STi owners, that's for sure.

Actually, yes, I do let the engine warm up properly, most S2K owners do. Plus, you can't rev past 6k RPM until the engine is at full operating temperature because it has a hard rev limiter that prevents engine damage if you want to go on about properly warming up engines. Trust me, once you hit that 6k rev limiter you quickly learn to watch the operating temps. Besides, what kind of dumbass would rev to 9k RPM on a cold engine anyways?
Again, you're telling me things that I have to take your word at (btw I 100% believe you, but that's because I'm not looking to buy your car) to justify you asking for a higher price. And even after a proper inspection you know what? I think I'd rather get the car stock and do my own modifying.

There's no reason to be defensive, I'm just stating an observable truth, modifications don't have a 1:1 ratio of their cost : car value. They just don't.

Edit: And just because a car has a sporting image and mentality doesn't mean that all of its owners will race it. I guarantee you could find an S2000 who was owned by someone who never went over the speed limit but was fastidious about proper maintenance.

BoobPhysics101 said:
Eh, I'm really not too worried about it because I'll recoup all of my cost on parts. If I sell all of my S2K parts I'll have about $8k, and $2.5k of that is profit. So much for never recouping parts cost in a significant way huh? ;P
I didn't notice this at first. How in the world are you doing that? Did you buy the parts used off of a salvaged car or something and plan on reselling them at a higher value? This doesn't make sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom