• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Automotive Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Liquidsnake said:
Thats what everyone seems to be saying. Did you see the motor trend face off with the M3?

Thats what really got me interested in the GT.
Get a premium package one with the nav. The interior is really improved and nicer than the old ones. Also get 3.73 gears and you'll be ready. The plus of the 5.0 is that you dont need a radio since you'll be too busy listening to the coyote!

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
AlphaSnake said:
350Zs have had those openers since 2002. And the pillars, really? Tons of cars have those, even an Aston Martin, albeit with a bit more swoop. The asymmetrical steering wheel has been found on tons of other cars in the past, once again Aston Martin included (though searching for pics of the Mini's interior shows me no such wheel that looks like the 370Z's oval-esque shape). You're grasping at straws here like there's no tomorrow. That's some pretty radical nit-picking right there.

The 370Z's interior is pretty much the G37's interior without the polished aluminum: Identical navi unit and similar AC unit, minus the trim and analog clock made to stack a bit shorter.

http://www.gotbroken.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/2006-mini-cooper-s-convertible-sidewalk-cockpit-interior-view-588x441.jpg[/IMG

[IMG]http://nissaneffect.in/images/Nissan_370z_Interior/Nissan_370z_Interior_2.jpg[/IMG

Look at those MINI influences....[/QUOTE]
Nitpicking? Mini influences came to mind because I drove in one today, nothing more, nothing less. That was a [I]comparison[/I].

Seriously, why do you take offense to everything someone says about the God's Chariots that you drive or love? Nothing I said was "nit-picky" nor meant to point out any flaws. You take this shit way too seriously.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
GamePnoy74 said:
A future NSX design from mid to late 00s that was planned for production was scrapped but Honda salvaged the design to exclusively make it a race car instead, which became the HSV-010 that is currently used in the Super GT, 500GT class.

http://ll.speedhunters.com/u/f/eagames/NFS/speedhunters.com/Images/Len%20Clarke/HSV-010%20GT%20images/8Z2W0773.jpg[IMG]

Why they scrapped the production model is beyond me... =/[/QUOTE]
Yeah I thought that looked beautiful TBH, especially from the back. I thought it was some sort of internal shift in product development that caused them to delay plans for the NSX revival. Don't blame em really, can't see Honda jumping at the opportunity to make a supercar in this economic environment.

Halvie

Banned
Yeah_its_Bob said:
The interior is really improved and nicer than the old ones.

Truth. Interior really isn't that bad on the new ones. Friend just picked up a challenger r/t, and the mustang interior is a hell of a lot better.

enzo_gt said:
Yeah I thought that looked beautiful TBH, especially from the back. I thought it was some sort of internal shift in product development that caused them to delay plans for the NSX revival. Don't blame em really, can't see Honda jumping at the opportunity to make a supercar in this economic environment.

They are going to have to do something. Their cars are boring as fuck now.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
reilo said:
Nitpicking? Mini influences came to mind because I drove in one today, nothing more, nothing less. That was a comparison.

Seriously, why do you take offense to everything someone says about the God's Chariots that you drive or love? Nothing I said was "nit-picky" nor meant to point out any flaws. You take this shit way too seriously.

I'm not offended. I just get peeved and frustrated when I feel like I'm dealing with a nincompoop.

The car can't be influenced by the MINI. There are no influences. There is a similarity or two, at most...and extremely vague ones at that, but that's about it. You made it seem like Nissan borrowed ideas from MINI, meanwhile a lot of those traits you mentioned were long on Z cars and other cars way before.

Some of the things you just say are like nails on a chalkboard to me, they're so random and dumb. I had to fight the urge to reply to your MINI comment...and lost. I don't know why I get into these things with you all the time, you have a gift at grinding away at my tolerance.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
Anybody says anything bad about the 370z. Better believe Alpha will be near.

Not saying theres anything wrong with that. I dare someone talk shit about my FJ. >:|

If I could change a couple things about the 370z, it definitely wouldn't be the interior. I love it, way better than the 350z. It's the fucking road noise and useless quarter window that gets to me.

Zyzyxxz

Bad_Boy said:

Heh believe me I have plenty bad to say about the exterior styling but I know better and it doesn't change anything.

ascii42

The Camaro ZL1 will apparently get a 580 hp engine. Pretty solid improvement over the CTS-V's 556.

xlarge_untitled_album_-_2_01.jpg

http://jalopnik.com/5838600/the-chevy-camaro-zl1-gets-580-hp-and-9-other-things-you-need-to-know

h1nch

YuriLowell said:
e30 bmw.

also new camaro's look so stupid.

I totally agree. I actually hate the look of all of the US muscle cars. The trend that Ford started with going retro was neat at first, but now its just tacky and lame. You'd never see other car manufacturers take a step backward in their design the way the big 3 have with their muscle cars. Of course one could argue that this so-called step backwards is actually an improvement given how absolutely terrible the previous generation of each car was, but I still think its time to retire this retro look and join the 21st century in terms of car design.

ascii42

h1nch said:
You'd never see other car manufacturers take a step backward in their design the way the big 3 have with their muscle cars.
Because some of them have never really gone very far forward in the first place, like Porsche, Mini, or VW with the Beetle. VW has actually said all future Beetle designs will evolve from the original, not the previous generation.

edit: Not that I'm saying any of this is a bad thing.

h1nch

ascii42 said:
Because some of them have never really gone very far forward in the first place, like Porsche, Mini, or VW with the Beetle. VW has actually said all future Beetle designs will evolve from the original, not the previous generation.

edit: Not that I'm saying any of this is a bad thing.

Fair point. I definitely agree that most Euro automakers make much more conservative evolutions of their cars, and I completely forgot about the new Beetle which is totally an example of a "new but retro" design.

I guess I just want Ford to make as big a leap in the visual look of the Mustang as they have with the power train. Its insane to think that in 2003 the base level Mustang only had 190hp.

EDIT: My car is now being transported to the port of exit! Hoping it gets put on a ship soon.

reilo

AlphaSnake said:
I'm not offended. I just get peeved and frustrated when I feel like I'm dealing with a nincompoop.

The car can't be influenced by the MINI. There are no influences. There is a similarity or two, at most...and extremely vague ones at that, but that's about it. You made it seem like Nissan borrowed ideas from MINI, meanwhile a lot of those traits you mentioned were long on Z cars and other cars way before.

Some of the things you just say are like nails on a chalkboard to me, they're so random and dumb. I had to fight the urge to reply to your MINI comment...and lost. I don't know why I get into these things with you all the time, you have a gift at grinding away at my tolerance.
You know what, I am done arguing with the motherfucker that thinks performance is measured by trap speed in a rolling quarter mile race. If anyone is the "nincompoop" around that nitpicks the living piss out of things and has a holier than thou attitude, it's you.

The reason you get into things with everyone all the time is because you have a shitty attitude and a "I am always right" ego. Maybe you need to work on your people skills a little bit and then maybe you won't get so frustrated.

Bad_Boy said:
Nobody said anything bad. That's the problem. That's his problem.

AlphaSnake

reilo said:
You know what, I am done arguing with the motherfucker that thinks performance is measured by trap speed in a rolling quarter mile race. If anyone is the "nincompoop" around that nitpicks the living piss out of things and has a holier than thou attitude, it's you.

The reason you get into things with everyone all the time is because you have a shitty attitude and a "I am always right" ego. Maybe you need to work on your people skills a little bit and then maybe you won't get so frustrated.

Nobody said anything bad. That's the problem. That's his problem.

I actually have awesome people skills, everyone who works with me and for me, loves me - feels good, man. I also don't have a holier than thou attitude or a shitty one. I also never said performance is measured by trap speeds. I said the faster and more powerful car is the one that traps the higher speed, and that the time itself is more a measure of traction. It's also not my thinking, but rather everyone's when they're on the track.

I also know you didn't say anything bad at all. I'm well aware. It's just what you said made no logical sense about the interior, just like your GTR comment and me being vain. That's my problem with you - you say random crap that makes no sense. I just like calling you out on it and picking away at what you said.

AlphaSnake

Bad_Boy said:

Not saying theres anything wrong with that. I dare someone talk shit about my FJ. >:|

If I could change a couple things about the 370z, it definitely wouldn't be the interior. I love it, way better than the 350z. It's the fucking road noise and useless quarter window that gets to me.

I've long said Nissan should've had a plexiglass divider right behind the seats to keep the road noise inside the trunk area, and not in the car. I may eventually put something like that together, we'll see.

reilo

AlphaSnake said:
I actually have awesome people skills, everyone who works with me and for me, loves me - feels good, man. I also don't have a holier than thou attitude or a shitty one.
I can only judge you by how you act on this forum. That's the only medium I have experience with you in, and you certainly have that attitude on here. I don't care what your girlfriend thinks of you.

I also never said performance is measured by trap speeds. I said the faster and more powerful car is the one that traps the higher speed, and that the time itself is more a measure of traction. It's also not my thinking, but rather everyone's when they're on the track.
That's one hell of a narrow and nitpicky definition of "faster". Like I mentioned before, it's confirmation bias on your part.

In every competitive field, "faster" is determined by the lowest time.
I also know you didn't say anything bad at all. I'm well aware. It's just what you said made no logical sense about the interior, just like your GTR comment and me being vain. That's my problem with you - you say random crap that makes no sense. I just like calling you out on it and picking away at what you said.
You posted a picture of the interior of a 370Z and I made comments about the style/design of it. How was that random?

J-Rzez

The new ZL1 is probably the best looking "retro" car of all time. The problem is that they went too far with the exterior, which didn't allow the interior to be done well. So hard to see out of the damn thing and I'm 6'2". And, typical for a Chevy, the interior feels like it was made from recycled children toys.

Silver shouldn't be allowed on any enthusiast type car with decent looks. It should be reserved for rental cars, and vehicles for people who don't like to take care of their cars and just view them only as "transportation".

AlphaSnake

reilo said:
I can only judge you by how you act on this forum. That's the only medium I have experience with you in, and you certainly have that attitude on here. I don't care what your girlfriend thinks of you.

LMAO. My girlfriend would probably agree with you. You're wrong again.

That's one hell of a narrow and nitpicky definition of "faster". Like I mentioned before, it's confirmation bias on your part.

In every competitive field, "faster" is determined by the lowest time.

Let it go.

You posted a picture of the interior of a 370Z and I made comments about the style/design of it. How was that random?

Because you said it had MINI influences, when it doesn't? Then you listed a few very trivial things that plenty of other cars have had before, including the old Zs. That's what boggled my head.

At the end of the day, all you need to know is that I love you.

reilo

AlphaSnake said:
LMAO. My girlfriend would probably agree with you. You're wrong again.
She's either a masochist or very tolerant.
Let it go.
nou
Because you said it had MINI influences, when it doesn't? Then you listed a few very trivial things that plenty of other cars have had before, including the old Zs. That's what boggled my head.
The only reason I mentioned Mini was because I was driving in one only hours before I saw that 370Z interior. It was just an example.
At the end of the day, all you need to know is that I love you.
I know, you already proved your true love to me when you do ass-to-mouth.

AlphaSnake

reilo said:
She's either a masochist or very tolerant.

Nah, she argues with me and either I admit defeat or she does. Either way, there's sex involved right after - it works. Approaching 6 years together, we get over tiffs in 15 minutes.

I know, you already proved your true love to me when you do ass-to-mouth.

I do what I can to please.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
DonasaurusRex said:
...how much does it weigh ? thats what holds that car back. Looks stupid in grey too

nm read the article , geezus chevy 4200 lbs?? no wonder the firebird always waxed the camaro on the track and strip.
The new SVT Cobra ERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR GT500 is supposed to be over 600.

reilo

AlphaSnake said:
Nah, she argues with me and either I admit defeat or she does. Either way, there's sex involved right after - it works. Approaching 6 years together, we get over tiffs in 15 minutes.
You two sound like a bunch of quitters to me.
I do what I can to please.
Oh, I know.

Enron

Banned
reilo said:

Alpha, i've never had any problem with you personally, but what reilo said above is sorta true. I've noticed several times in this thread where you've created confrontation where there really didn't need to be any.

AlphaSnake

Enron said:
Alpha, i've never had any problem with you personally, but what reilo said above is sorta true. I've noticed several times in this thread where you've created confrontation where there really didn't need to be any.

Cars are serious business.

AlphaSnake

MiniBossBattle said:
Anyone post this up yet?
hpp-richard-petty-superbird.jpg

More here

Saw this an hour ago...man is that insane or what?

I love the new Challenger SRT8 392. I wouldn't mind owning one for sure, it's just the epitome of badass cruiser. Big, beautiful, and extremely powerful. Never thought Chrysler would churn out something I liked beside the Viper.

Zyzyxxz

MiniBossBattle said:
Anyone post this up yet?
http://www.blogcdn.com/www.autoblog.com/media/2011/09/hpp-richard-petty-superbird.jpg[IMG]

[B][URL="http://www.autoblog.com/2011/09/09/hpp-richard-petty-superbird-quick-spin-review/"]More here[/URL][/B][/QUOTE]

ehhh I get that they were going for that look but its bloated looking. Truth I think it needs to be longer too look a bit more slender.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
AlphaSnake said:
Saw this an hour ago...man is that insane or what?

I love the new Challenger SRT8 392. I wouldn't mind owning one for sure, it's just the epitome of badass cruiser. Big, beautiful, and extremely powerful. Never thought Chrysler would churn out something I liked beside the Viper.
I've had enough Chrysler to last a lifetime. Challenger looks hot, but I'm a fool and have had multiple shitty Chryslers.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
MiniBossBattle said:
Anyone post this up yet?
http://www.blogcdn.com/www.autoblog.com/media/2011/09/hpp-richard-petty-superbird.jpg[IMG]

[B][URL="http://www.autoblog.com/2011/09/09/hpp-richard-petty-superbird-quick-spin-review/"]More here[/URL][/B][/QUOTE]
Makes me sad for the fate the Charger had to suffer, it deserved better :(

EDIT: [URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGcc9bdjsEA&feature=player_embedded"]Lotus Teaser[/URL]. LOOKS like an Elise/Exige variant, but I just want to see that Esprit already.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
AlphaSnake said:
I've long said Nissan should've had a plexiglass divider right behind the seats to keep the road noise inside the trunk area, and not in the car. I may eventually put something like that together, we'll see.
I dynamatted both my cars. Using 2 layers all around. Even used a extra layer of insulation on the roof of my FJ and 370z trunk. Takes a long time and costly, but I'm very happy with the results.

But I'm just saying, Nissan should of fixed that from the 350z... especially after adding 10k to the MSRP.

reilo

Bad_Boy said:
I dynamatted both my cars. Using 2 layers all around. Even used a extra layer of insulation on the roof of my FJ and 370z trunk. Takes a long time and costly, but I'm very happy with the results.

But I'm just saying, Nissan should of fixed that from the 350z... especially after adding 10k to the MSRP.
Dynamating a whole car can add 100lbs+ to the weight of the car, I think. I might be wrong on that number, but it's heavy. I am sure Nissan saw the weight of the car as a priority.

AlphaSnake

reilo said:
Dynamating a whole car can add 100lbs+ to the weight of the car, I think. I might be wrong on that number, but it's heavy. I am sure Nissan saw the weight of the car as a priority.

30lbs for the rear, and you'll have tons left over. A few of the local guys have done it with SecondSkin (which, imo is far superior). But nah, Nissan was just being cheap. Even though the base MSRP of the car went up $1K over the 350Z, the fact that it can climb to be a $45K car like mine means there is no excuse the rear area should be so loud, especially if Corvettes aren't anywhere near that loud and have a similar hatch design with no separator.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom