• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Automotive Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
AlphaSnake said:
30lbs for the rear, and you'll have tons left over. A few of the local guys have done it with SecondSkin (which, imo is far superior). But nah, Nissan was just being cheap. Even though the base MSRP of the car went up $1K over the 350Z, the fact that it can climb to be a $45K car like mine means there is no excuse the rear area should be so loud, especially if Corvettes aren't anywhere near that loud and have a similar hatch design with no separator.
An extra 30lbs isn't bad. I am sure there could have been other innovative ways to encapsulate the road noise without breaking the bank.

ameratsu

TurtleSnatcher said:
Order Status page finally updated

*Fist pump*

[.img]https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/s720x720/304670_10150357810035399_560865398_10076129_750109485_n.jpg[/img]

May I ask what motivated you to buy one of these... new nonetheless? Just curious

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
reilo said:
An extra 30lbs isn't bad. I am sure there could have been other innovative ways to encapsulate the road noise without breaking the bank.

Indeed. They could've kept those shitty styrofoam blocks below the carpets for themselves. Utterly useless for sound deadening. A slab of plexiglass or some material back there is definitely something I'd love to do.

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider
Secured a new commuter ride.

06 Civic with low miles.

Now need a fun time ride.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
J-Rzez said:
Pickup truck? Rugged SUV? Which do you mean? 4x4 isn't a big "term" anymore these days heh. It's been too diluted.

The answer is matte black FJ Cruiser.

4qCHt.jpg

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider
Jamesfrom818 said:
You're Korean. I think its mandatory that you buy a Hyundai Genesis Coupe and fix it up.

I was thinking about something to tinker on.

Like a Datsun 510.

ChiTownBuffalo

OuterWorldVoice said:
The answer is matte black FJ Cruiser.

The MPG on those things is horrible and the interior space is shit. But they look cool.

pj said:
The FJ cruiser is the second ugliest car being made today. Just barely out-uglied by the Cube
there are more atrocious cars like the Scion TC (hell all scion ones are ugly), which is a decent car if it would've been left as the Avensis.

nitewulf

h1nch said:
Congrats! Glad to hear she's liking it. Also, how do you guys like the Logic7 sound system? I ordered it in my car but I've never actually heard it (been told by many folks that its worth it but they didn't have one on the lot that I could demo)
it's quite fantastic...and you can tell that i have pretty high audio standards from the "audiophile speakers" thread that i started. the system isnt anywhere near my home stereo, but with a good source, its crystal clear, has very precise stereo separation and imaging. it sounds great, 'nough said.

i have the sports package with the paddle shifters...i havent played around with it, but my bro did the other day...and my friend had a phone app to measure the G force, almost a half G acceleration, the rush feels very awesome, and its just a 230HP V6, nothing fancy.

alpha, make sure she gets a tire warranty, the run flats are notorious for breaking if you run over enough potholes...and BQE is a giant pothole with some roads in between, as you know.

ameratsu said:
May I ask what motivated you to buy one of these... new nonetheless? Just curious

Well I use to own a 2007 MINI Cooper S.

I custom ordered that one. I love how I can add pretty much any option I want in and/or leave them out to my liking. The price doesn't fluctuate as all MINIs are sold at MSRP with very little room to negotiate so there isn't really much of a premium cost in custom ordering a MINI.

Having the EXACT car I want is an awesome feature/option that not many manufacturers allow. MINI's literally have over 10 million or so different possibilities which I enjoy.

I currently drive a Mazdaspeed 3. I like it.. It is fast. But it is no MINI. The MINI honestly feels unique and doesn't feel like I am driving another car on the road. It has insane handling and I love the go-kart feel to it. I may actually be stuck on this brand for a while because I just enjoy it so much.

Another big thing is the people who drive these cars. I'm part of the local MINI club here in the Dallas area (Metroplex MINI) and I have met some of the greatest friends through that club. The social aspect and the people that I have met are irreplaceable and it is something I honestly never felt with my Mazda and the local club here nor my previous car prior to the MINI.

Some people aren't big on these cars but I always recommend people to drive one. They have some of the best handling and really nice get up and go. They are constantly rated well and it is because they perform well. They are small - So they aren't for everyone - But they are a blast to drive. :)

I did opt for the new model which is the 2 seater model. It is a bit less practical then a standard Cooper but I'm single and have no need for the 2 extra seats in the back which I rarely would use since there isn't much room anyways. Likewise the trunk on the 2 seater Coupe is much larger then the other models and it is brand new and unique which is a huge factor for me :)

EDIT: Oh and I always buy new. It is just what I do. Mainly because I like having the peace of mind of having a manufacturers warranty attached to it and having the free service that BMW/MINI offers for 3 years/36,000 miles. I'm just like that.. No idea why :p

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
pj said:
The FJ cruiser is the second ugliest car being made today. Just barely out-uglied by the Cube
fuck you son. fuck you.

I shall now repost pictures of my FJ just to spite you.

ibxXwOnnjqL3yH.jpg

iJ1QjVFRgLZ1R.jpg

ibyFfCkde26HK.jpg

iblEaksLxY0p9d.jpg

ibk5kLViMBUxz2.jpg

ibg4VyETf8jiCU.jpg

i81SlrRpPiMBL.jpg

bitch.

yes, ive been drinking

Pterion

Anyone here ever considered the BMW X1? It's selling like hot cakes here, and I've seen a few on the road lately. Apparently based on the 3 series chassis, so none of that tiny 1 series space. Tempted to testdrive it just for the sake of it (I won't be getting another car for at least 2-3 years).

pj

Banned
Oh, dude, gross.

Can a mod edit that post and change those pics to links and put up a NSFW warning?

I almost threw up in my mouth

ascii42

The problem I have with the FJ's styling is the oddly large C-pillar. Otherwise, I think it's a decent looking vehicle. Certainly looks rugged, which is good.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
TurtleSnatcher said:
I've always enjoyed FJ's.

FJ's and Jeep Wranglers are some of my favorite SUVs.
The Wrangler is supposed to be the next Chrysler product to get the Pentastar V6, no?

I've been partial to Jeeps myself, if only because my dad owns a second-generation Grand Cherokee.

ameratsu

TurtleSnatcher said:
[reasoning]

Oh.... I thought you bought a clubman based on the picture in your post. The Clubman is seriously ugly and I can't handle the styling. The coupe that you bought is a bit better though.

Good luck with your new Mini! Let us know how you find it.

I am not sure if anyone has heard of the show "Pass Time" on here. It is on SpeedTV and it is a game show where the contestants try to guess quarter mile times of different cars. I just got back from being on the show that they taped up in Milan, Michigan. It was actually really fun and the guys on the show are super cool and really fun to talk to.

The coolest part was the final car on my show. It was a 900HP 1995 BMW M3, which is the same model that I own (E36). The other cars were really cool, but seeing a similar car to mine kick some serious ass (8.6 1/4 mile) was really awesome. I didn't win the big prize, but I at least grabbed $100.

I will post some crappy cell phone pics if anyone is interested.

ascii42

ameratsu said:
Oh.... I thought you bought a clubman based on the picture in your post. The Clubman is seriously ugly and I can't handle the styling. The coupe that you bought is a bit better though.

Isn't the Clubman just a slightly longer Mini?

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Shortt Sirket said:
I am not sure if anyone has heard of the show "Pass Time" on here. It is on SpeedTV and it is a game show where the contestants try to guess quarter mile times of different cars. I just got back from being on the show that they taped up in Milan, Michigan. It was actually really fun and the guys on the show are super cool and really fun to talk to.

The coolest part was the final car on my show. It was a 900HP 1995 BMW M3, which is the same model that I own (E36). The other cars were really cool, but seeing a similar car to mine kick some serious ass (8.6 1/4 mile) was really awesome. I didn't win the big prize, but I at least grabbed $100.

I will post some crappy cell phone pics if anyone is interested.
Color me interested. :D

My problem with FJs, they're goofing looking. You can make them badass though. I think I'd take a 2011 4Runner over a FJ.

I've always loathed the Hummer brand. But after I saw this pic on Jalopnik of a H3 destroying a river, I had a change of heart. H2s are still garbage though.

hummer_2.jpg

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
nitewulf said:
that shit is pretty fucking hardcore. bro fist.
thanks, bro fist back at ya. :)

So like I've said on the previous pages, the FJ is my baby. I couldn't think of a better car for me. The other two FJ's in the pictures have way more mods than mine, but even when I was bone stock I was going places I never thought a street legal car could go. The beach, the snow, the mountains, etc. I have pictures from all environments if anyone's curious.

My last off roading trip, I went with two Jeeps. A cherokee, and a wrangler. Up a mountain on "difficult" rated trails. The FJ kept up no problem.

I probably would of went for Jeep, but I wanted a car I could keep for 10+ years. Not convinced on Jeeps reliability. Xterra is cool, but wasnt for me. And Hummers are a joke.

There so many more mods I want to add, but started saving because I'm soon joining the military, I just hope I can take it with me.

Last picture, I promise.
ikfjIg4AZWU6e.jpg

I'm the one before the canadian FJ. Thats not me walking by though.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
surrealist said:
I've always loathed the Hummer brand. But after I saw this pic on Jalopnik of a H3 destroying a river, I had a change of heart. H2s are still garbage though.

http://cache.gawkerassets.com/assets/images/12/2010/02/hummer_2.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]
Hummers wouldnt be so bad if they werent so freaking heavy.

Check this out. [url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5oPzllCtk8[/url]

Of course thats nothing you would do in real off roading situations, but that weight applies when trying get over certain obstacles.

enzo_gt said:
The only Hummer that isn't goofy looking is the H1. The H1 is for men, unlike the other Hummers.

H1 is another mall crawler, just like the H2 and H3. Sure, H1 is the most beastly off roader and has a long history to back up it's off road manners... and the H3 is also pretty capable. But the H2 ruined the brand.

JackEtc

So I turned on my headlights tonight (without turning on my car) to see what the "halos" look like on my car (my actual headlights are my DRLs, and the "halos" turn on at night) without the DRLs, and they look like this:

iCQPe.jpg

Man, I really should get my lights rewired to have those as the DRLs. Dunno about you guys, but I think that would look badass.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
You should. I wired my halos to be my DRL, my HIDs turn on when I hit low/high beams. I get a lot of comments. Some searching on a few forums and I found out which wires to cut/rewire.

JackEtc

Bad_Boy said:
You should. I wired my halos to be my DRL, my HIDs turn on when I hit low/high beams. I get a lot of comments. Some searching on a few forums and I found out which wires to cut/rewire.
For me right now, The HID (in the outermost halo) is the DRL, and then my brights are inside the second, closer to the middle halo. I wonder how hard it is to do without taking it somewhere....knowing VW probably extremely hard to do.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
nitewulf said:
alpha, make sure she gets a tire warranty, the run flats are notorious for breaking if you run over enough potholes...and BQE is a giant pothole with some roads in between, as you know.

Considering that she's going to ditch these rough-ass runflats and get a set of 18s with some proper all-seasons, we opted out of this.

ameratsu said:

Yea I am not a big fan of the Clubman mainly due to the back doors and the odd color switching they do to alternate from body to roof color which carries onto the back doors.

The Clubman is just shown in the 'In Production' picture for any MINI.

MINI looks though are an acquired taste and isn't for everyone. Some people will absolutely hate them and some will love them. I just happen to be in the 'love' field. I love how the Cooper, Countryman and Coupes look.

:)

Zyzyxxz

surrealist said:
My problem with FJs, they're goofing looking. You can make them badass though. I think I'd take a 2011 4Runner over a FJ.
[/IMG]

They certainly can look badass with a few mods and color scheme.

I've always considered one if I was in the market for a SUV since I'd rather have Toyota reliability. Jeep Wrangler Unlimited though is a very close one but mileage is worse and reliability is a concern for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom