• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Automotive Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
JackEtc said:
For me right now, The HID (in the outermost halo) is the DRL, and then my brights are inside the second, closer to the middle halo. I wonder how hard it is to do without taking it somewhere....knowing VW probably extremely hard to do.
Yeah that does sound difficult. For me, I just disconnected the DRL wire to the bulb, and connected the halo to the wire.

ameratsu said:
Its the back doors and dual rear wipers that just don't do it for me.
I agree - It's the color of the back doors that drive me bonkers.

mini-clubman1.jpg

Barf... Why make it the roof around the tail lights. rear pillars and bumper area.. BARF.

Shortt Sirket said:
I am not sure if anyone has heard of the show "Pass Time" on here. It is on SpeedTV and it is a game show where the contestants try to guess quarter mile times of different cars. I just got back from being on the show that they taped up in Milan, Michigan. It was actually really fun and the guys on the show are super cool and really fun to talk to.

The coolest part was the final car on my show. It was a 900HP 1995 BMW M3, which is the same model that I own (E36). The other cars were really cool, but seeing a similar car to mine kick some serious ass (8.6 1/4 mile) was really awesome. I didn't win the big prize, but I at least grabbed $100.

I will post some crappy cell phone pics if anyone is interested.

Here is an album with all the pics I took. They are from a cell phone, so don't expect anything that great. I also added a few pics from the NASA Championships at Mid Ohio.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
01-jaguar-c-x16-concept-live.jpg

Not gonna lie, that's a great looking car. I just hate that electric motor gimmick since I don't want a damn hybrid.

Pterion

hai guys, I'mma buy the cx-16 when i grow up.

Seriously though, it looks better the AM V8 vantage I saw today. Hopefully it's under 100k in Canada.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
YuriLowell said:
oh wait it wont come with a manual so guess what I dont give a flying fuck about it.
That's confirmed? The C-X16 won't come in a manual? Hahaha. Strike two.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I've never seen a hybrid/electric that's come with a manual ever. I wouldn't doubt they exist, but I've never seen one in any of the hybrids I looked into.

Pterion

Stupid question. Could Hyundai have come up with a genesis design looking like that jag? Why not? What stops these auto makers from making a cheap but sexy-looking car?

Shortt Sirket said:
I really think the NSX is the perfect car. The styling is amazing and iconic. It is actually cheap enough now to be bought by normal people. The performance and handling is top tier and yet you can drive it every day. I am not sure the car even has a downside.

So in that vein, what do you guys consider the perfect car? My friend and I had a long debate on this and we figured there were some specific criteria.

Price - It has to be able to be bought by a good portion of the population and the cost of ownership cannot be sky high.

Looks - It has to both look great and have a timeless/iconic design to it.

Reliability - It has to be able to be driven daily and be fairly dependable as a mode of transportation.

Performance - It has to be fast, have excellent control and generally be in the top percentage of performance.

Rarity - It cannot be so rare that it cannot be driven without constant fear, and yet not so common that everyone will have one.

Drivability - It has to be as brilliant on the road as it is on the race track and has to be a legit option as a daily driver.

Now these are just the criteria we came up with, so feel free to change it, add to it, or just generally tell me I am wrong. At the end of the day, I still feel that the NSX is the perfect car. (Plus Senna helped with the development, so that should be an auto-win)

kinda late to post this, but I would have to narrow it down to:

Porsche 911 (964 and up)
or
BMW 3 or 5 series pre-2000's

Yea, Porsches are kind of a high entry point and even the used market is still expensive. It's actually really close to NSX's price range. Maintaining isn't as atrocious some people make it to be. Maybe slightly impractical with little to no rear seat and trunk space, but everything else compensates.

E30 BMW's are bulletproof and are easy to work on. Great everyday car, fun to drive, and cheap. E36 M3 is a great balance of everything above, but good luck finding a pristine one that hasn't been beaten to hell.

As awesome as NSX's are fun and reliable to drive, the aluminum body panels scare me on those. One dent on any panel and it's going to cost you $$$. Pretty stressful to drive one around and worrying about things like that.

I would also nominate an Integra Type R, despite being wrong wheel drive.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
reilo said:
http://o.aolcdn.com/dims-global/dims3/GLOB/resize/960x655/quality/85/http://www.blogcdn.com/www.autoblog.com/media/2011/09/01-jaguar-c-x16-concept-live.jpg[IMG]

Not gonna lie, that's a great looking car. I just hate that electric motor gimmick since I don't want a damn hybrid.[/QUOTE]
They have no reason not to.

Put electric motor in concept, create buzz, pique interest temporarily in bloggers, hipsters and idiots, put different engine in production version, profit.

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider
Just ordered a HID kit for the commuter ride, an 06 Civic.

6000K, just in case you thought I was gonna get all Pep Boys on it. Should be a fun afternoon project.

Zyzyxxz

If anybody is in SoCal the OC International auto show is coming up and they are gonna have at least 40 different cars to test drive:

mustang, challenger, charger, Fiat 500, Fiesta, Hyundai Genesis, Equus, Sonata are some of my picks to try out right now.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
ChiTownBuffalo said:

6000K, just in case you thought I was gonna get all Pep Boys on it. Should be a fun afternoon project.
please get projector headlights. HID's without projectors are just annoying as fuck.

Sarcasm

TurtleSnatcher said:
Well I use to own a 2007 MINI Cooper S.

I custom ordered that one. I love how I can add pretty much any option I want in and/or leave them out to my liking. The price doesn't fluctuate as all MINIs are sold at MSRP with very little room to negotiate so there isn't really much of a premium cost in custom ordering a MINI.

Having the EXACT car I want is an awesome feature/option that not many manufacturers allow. MINI's literally have over 10 million or so different possibilities which I enjoy.

I currently drive a Mazdaspeed 3. I like it.. It is fast. But it is no MINI. The MINI honestly feels unique and doesn't feel like I am driving another car on the road. It has insane handling and I love the go-kart feel to it. I may actually be stuck on this brand for a while because I just enjoy it so much.

Another big thing is the people who drive these cars. I'm part of the local MINI club here in the Dallas area (Metroplex MINI) and I have met some of the greatest friends through that club. The social aspect and the people that I have met are irreplaceable and it is something I honestly never felt with my Mazda and the local club here nor my previous car prior to the MINI.

Some people aren't big on these cars but I always recommend people to drive one. They have some of the best handling and really nice get up and go. They are constantly rated well and it is because they perform well. They are small - So they aren't for everyone - But they are a blast to drive. :)

I did opt for the new model which is the 2 seater model. It is a bit less practical then a standard Cooper but I'm single and have no need for the 2 extra seats in the back which I rarely would use since there isn't much room anyways. Likewise the trunk on the 2 seater Coupe is much larger then the other models and it is brand new and unique which is a huge factor for me :)

EDIT: Oh and I always buy new. It is just what I do. Mainly because I like having the peace of mind of having a manufacturers warranty attached to it and having the free service that BMW/MINI offers for 3 years/36,000 miles. I'm just like that.. No idea why :p

Really depends on where you live. Where I currently am..most European cars are built to order. Most of Audi, VW, Porsche (yeah I know same company - VW).

Its one reason why I am considering an A3 (since 2012 is last year for hatchback).

Yes considered a mini. Too small and the newer ones don't look as good as the older ones.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Sarcasm said:
Really depends on where you live. Where I currently am..most European cars are built to order. Most of Audi, VW, Porsche (yeah I know same company - VW).

Its one reason why I am considering an A3 (since 2012 is last year for hatchback).

Yes considered a mini. Too small and the newer ones don't look as good as the older ones.

he emphasized the 'EXACT'. Mini is way more customisable. I have no idea how salesmen get through the day, they could take a couple of hours with one person going through the options. Its not like your standard 'pick from this limited list of options' cars.

Sarcasm

As far as I am aware you can't get AWD & TDI on an A3 in my previous homeland.

I know I may be wrong but the difference between buying an A3 in homeland vs to where I currently live is that:

In homeland: List features you want but your stuck with FWD - 2.0T (gas or tdi) or AWD 2.0T gas. Than they look at their other dealerships for stock. This usually results in not getting all the features you want. Also color choice is very limited.

Currently living:

Features and want you want, you get in a wait line, it gets produced and shipped than you pick it up later. This will results in features you want, be it AWD & 2.0T TDI.

If I ordered the A3 now I won't get it til January.

BUT I may be wrong.

Now my username may be Sarcasm, but I am not trying to be sarcastic. If I am wrong I will gladly accept that cause I didn't know.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
ChiTownBuffalo said:

6000K is already pushing it towards the ricer look. Should have gone with classy stock 4300K. Also yeah, projectors are a must if you don't want everyone on the road cursing at you.

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider
Lord Error said:
6000K is already pushing it towards the ricer look. Should have gone with classy stock 4300K.

Nope.

I'm gonna put a huge bolt on spoiler on it, an exhaust tip, and some form of "R" sticker. Perhaps one that was originally intended for a mailbox.

ascii42

Zyzyxxz said:
If anybody is in SoCal the OC International auto show is coming up and they are gonna have at least 40 different cars to test drive:

mustang, challenger, charger, Fiat 500, Fiesta, Hyundai Genesis, Equus, Sonata are some of my picks to try out right now.
Damn, at the Atlanta show all they had was a bunch of GM stuff, a couple of Toyota hybrids, and the Kia Optima. I should have driven the Optima, but didn't have time.

ChiTownBuffalo said:
Nope.

I'm gonna put a huge bolt on spoiler on it, an exhaust tip, and some form of "R" sticker. Perhaps one that was originally intended for a mailbox.

I need pics.

Also this s54 z3m was sold in 30 mins.
-_-

JackEtc

ChiTownBuffalo said:
Nope.

Also get bigger tires rims :)p) on the back than the front, and shitty underglow. And make your grill backlit.

Hari Seldon said:
God damnit. Seems like reviews say that also, but it seems like you see 10 BMWs for every one of the other 3 haha.

There is a reason they all copy BMW.
Audi is just fucking stupid if you wanna work on the car yourself.
I will never own an audi because I value my own sanity.

Halvie

Banned
reilo said:
FUUUUUUUUUUU--------

I wish the S5/RS5 had more of that rectangular look to the headlights and less of a pronounced corner of the grill. That front-end and shooting brake rear-end is just delicious.

Nothing against your post, but tired of seeing updates for models other than the new A3/S3. FUCKING COME ON ALREADY!!! Really hope some version of it comes with the 2.5t.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom