• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Automotive Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
reilo said:
I'm the one talking track times, then you throw out "oh, but it doesn't matter when driving on the highway because you'll never push it that fast", then why the hell are you mentioning trap speeds and which car is faster above 120MPH? Those are the type of numbers you only achieve on the track, and if you are doing that on public road then you are reckless.

If your only argument is that the V8 Vantage is a "better performer in this very isolated instance" and are just ignoring all other tangible real world tests, then you have no argument. You are cherry picking what you want to see based on confirmation bias. Nice try, but ultimately, you are wrong.

You've missed a lot of my points. I'm not going to reiterate them. The fact that I've gotten Dreams-Visions looking at Astons makes me feel great, and that wasn't even my intention - I thought he wanted nothing but a Porsche. More Astons on the road makes me feel happy. Everyone should know what it is to drive and own an AM. There is simply no other car on the road like an Aston.

Log4Girlz

Miroku said:
Feel free to PM me Dreams-Visions.

The Aston is one of the best looking cars on the road, but a softer drive than a Carrera S.

I saw a DB9 a few years back, and I just couldn't believe it. I mean, Astons always looked gorgeous in still, but it looked so much fucking nicer in person. My jaw literally dropped.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
AlphaSnake said:
You've missed a lot of my points. I'm not going to reiterate them. The fact that I've gotten Dreams-Visions looking at Astons makes me feel great, and that wasn't even my intention - I thought he wanted nothing but a Porsche. More Astons on the road makes me feel happy. Everyone should know what it is to drive and own an AM. There is simply no other car on the road like an Aston.
It's almost like you're describing... "God's Chariot".

JackEtc

h1nch said:
I'm a linux systems engineer, went to school for computer science.

I would advise against selecting a major based purely on earning potential. At the same time, don't select a major without having an idea of the job prospects for post-College. Try to find something you truly enjoy that also has high earning-potential (and that you're good at obviously), otherwise you'll be miserable, even with a fancy car.

I make enough to afford a nice car because I love what I do, and as a result I'm awesome at my job. Keep that in mind when making career choices!
I know, I was kidding about the switching major thing. I've already found something that I like doing that can earn a decent buck if you get the right job. The car will come eventually.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
reilo said:
I got you covered!
Damn. Good stuff Dreams-Visions. Hopefully one day I have the problem where I can't decide what I'm going to drive today.

Heavy on the BMWs I see. Needs moar Ferraris.

Amagon

h1nch said:
I'm a linux systems engineer, went to school for computer science.

I would advise against selecting a major based purely on earning potential. At the same time, don't select a major without having an idea of the job prospects for post-College. Try to find something you truly enjoy that also has high earning-potential (and that you're good at obviously), otherwise you'll be miserable, even with a fancy car.

I make enough to afford a nice car because I love what I do, and as a result I'm awesome at my job. Keep that in mind when making career choices!
I'm 25 y.o. and planning to go back to school that has something to do with computers, for what, I don't know but I will take this advice with heed.

h1nch

THE NO LIFE KING said:
I'm 25 y.o. and planning to go back to school that has something to do with computers, for what, I don't know but I will take this advice with heed.

Good to hear! Work hard, keep a good attitude, and good things will happen. I forgot to mention that I started at an entry level position making not much money at all, but I made it a point to overachieve as much as I could and was lucky enough to claw my way up the chain. I think there's value in finding a great company to start with, vs some mom and pop joint where career advancement becomes dicey.

Anyways, I'm going absolutely nuts here waiting for my car. At least once a day I call BMWNA to get my vehicle production status (its in 'body shop' status.) And I've been repeatedly watching low quality videos on youtube of folks driving their 335i, just so I can hear the engine roar.

This wait is killing me :(

AlphaSnake

h1nch said:
Good to hear! Work hard, keep a good attitude, and good things will happen. I forgot to mention that I started at an entry level position making not much money at all, but I made it a point to overachieve as much as I could and was lucky enough to claw my way up the chain. I think there's value in finding a great company to start with, vs some mom and pop joint where career advancement becomes dicey.

Anyways, I'm going absolutely nuts here waiting for my car. At least once a day I call BMWNA to get my vehicle production status (its in 'body shop' status.) And I've been repeatedly watching low quality videos on youtube of folks driving their 335i, just so I can hear the engine roar.

This wait is killing me :(

I'm going to take my GF's 335i out for a spin in honor of you, sir. I can sympathize with you and I understand the pain. It's awful.

911's are just vw beetles.

God's Chariot is the e30 m3.

Get it right.

Also looks like im closing in on a 2004 M3 on friday. Jet Black on Imola Red.

AlphaSnake

YuriLowell said:
911's are just vw beetles.

God's Chariot is the e30 m3.

Get it right.

Also looks like im closing in on a 2004 M3 on friday. Jet Black on Imola Red.

Congrats and good luck! :)

mrklaw

MrArseFace
from researching after buying my boxster, I'm not sure porsches are that bulletproof. IMS is a common failure and can require significant work which is very expensive if you're out of warranty. There are a bunch of other issues they tend to have too.

On the positive side, it does seem to be a fairly user friendly car to maintain, quite a few of the jobs look straightforward.

And don't you think most people in this thread at least, would choose a Porsche based on the handling/performance rather than looks? Its supposed to be one of the best performance marques out there - whether 911 or boxster/cayman.

Although I regret buying mine as it was a bit of a lemon, I'm certainly going to be back in a few years.

TurtleSnatcher said:
Just ordered this little guy this past weekend. Slotted for Week 38 production so I should have it mid-late October/early November.

I'm excited.

It is a 2012 Mini Coupe S - These are the brand new roadster type models that are launching this October. I have the first one ordered at the dealership. I got to sit in one as they took multiple Coupes across dealerships this summer so people could see them.

I use to own a 2007 Mini Cooper S but traded it for my 2010 MazdaSpeed3. I've been wanting to get back into a Mini for quite some time. I really like it being a new model and it having a really unique look.

Got it in Spice Orange/Black Stripes and Black 17" Wheels. Also got black Xenon Headlamp casings to go with the color. Stoked to see that BMW is trying out the retractable spoiler on this Mini for the first time in BMW history so it will be a cool little feature.

I'm excited :)

Exterior

281907_10150326432040399_560865398_9762607_1901173_n.jpg

Interior

EHpxp.jpg

Just got an email this morning from the dealership. Car is now in production! It went into 150 status which means I can no longer make changes to my order! Woot! 3 weeks ahead of schedule!

ascii42

TurtleSnatcher said:
Just got an email this morning from the dealership. Car is now in production! It went into 150 status which means I can no longer make changes to my order! Woot! 3 weeks ahead of schedule!
I'm not a huge fan of the coupe (I prefer the style and practicality the hatch offers), but I imagine it'll be a fun car.

Awesome that it's ahead of schedule. Any idea how long it normally takes from this point until delivery?

Zyzyxxz

Shogmaster said:

After reading some more on the C-X16 it seems like the perfect sports car for me!

Price: estimated $70-80K USD (yes I'm not rolling in dough yet but eventually I'll get that right lotto ticket)

Power: 380HP, 330 ft/lb via 3.0L V6 Supercharged. Rear electric motor which can provide a 92hp boosts via a "boost button" or just run in hybrid mode if that tickles your fancy.

ascii42 said:
I'm not a huge fan of the coupe (I prefer the style and practicality the hatch offers), but I imagine it'll be a fun car.

Awesome that it's ahead of schedule. Any idea how long it normally takes from this point until delivery?
4-6 weeks.

I'm all for practicality if you need it. I use to own a Cooper S myself (Hatchback).

I though am single and don't really need the back row of seats so I'm excited :)

reilo

Rear electric motor which can provide a 92hp boosts via a "boost button" or just run in hybrid mode if that tickles your fancy.
lol no thanks.

reilo said:
lol no thanks.
I just scrolled up I still feel bad about that convo to this day. I must have been really frustrated, but that isn't an excuse.

oh, and no Bentley to whoever was asking.

and you guys should let me know when you're in Miami. I can scoop ya up. :)

Zyzyxxz

YuriLowell said:
380 horse for 80k is overpriced.

There is 400 horse in the 35k mustang gt.

To me numbers is not the whole point of the car, gotta look at overall package.

Interior and exterior styling are highly a matter of taste and while I do love those turn blinkers on the current Mustang I just wouldn't own one myself.

It's not a matter of how fast will it go for me, when you look at cars in the 400-500 HP range the options are so numerous that if you were to select from power figure alone as your criteria your selection would range from your Mustang GT to an AMG SL65.

If price was a factor I might as well just buy a used C5 ZO6 over the Mustang GT but if I were in the market I would be looking at neither if I wanted something like the C-X16, not a comparison I would make realistically.

AlphaSnake

YuriLowell said:
380 horse for 80k is overpriced.

There is 400 horse in the 35k mustang gt.

You have to add both power outputs, actually. There is a button in the car that provides power from both together - 92HP and 180lbs of TQ, very impressive, if you ask me. Plus Jaguar just invested a ton of money into lightweight platforms - would you believe me if I told you their gargantuan XJ sedan only weighs 4000lbs? Because it does. That thing with 385HP flies!

Their Cayman fighter in this concept is projected to weigh 3400lbs. Whether 380HP or 470HP (combined power) and all of that flat and mountainous torque, that is monstrous power for a car with that weight. My 370Z weighs about 3300lbs and makes about 360HP with its mods (320WHP untuned), and that's a high 12-second car that'll trap just over 110MPH and struggles to keep traction for 2 gear changes (1>2>3). That's pretty damn quick. The Jaguar should be a low 12-second car with that kind of power and torque, and well into the 11s with a simple tune.

AlphaSnake said:
You have to add both power outputs, actually. There is a button in the car that provides power from both together - 92HP and 180lbs of TQ, very impressive, if you ask me. Plus Jaguar just invested a ton of money into lightweight platforms - would you believe me if I told you their gargantuan XJ sedan only weighs 4000lbs? Because it does. That thing with 385HP flies!

Their Cayman fighter in this concept is projected to weigh 3400lbs. Whether 380HP or 470HP (combined power) and all of that flat and mountainous torque, that is monstrous power for a car with that weight. My 370Z weighs about 3300lbs and makes about 360HP with its mods (320WHP untuned), and that's a high 12-second car that'll trap just over 110MPH and struggles to keep traction for 2 gear changes (1>2>3). That's pretty damn quick. The Jaguar should be a low 12-second car with that kind of power and torque, and well into the 11s with a simple tune.

Simple Bolt ons for the 5.0 make it a low 11 second car.

If we are talking power to dollar ratio then nothing beats the mustang.

AlphaSnake

YuriLowell said:

Yeah, but then you sit inside a Mustang, look at its archaic architecture, its awkward proportions, and overall cheapness. They're two different class of cars, really. This is meant to take away sales from the Porsches, Audi TT-RS, Audi S5, and even the M3 - any 2-door coupe in the $60K price bracket, really. Plus, a simple ECU tune + pulley will cost about $1000 and net you far more power than bolt-ons (intake, exhaust, cat delete) will for way less money. :p

I can see a ton of people frolicking to this car, passing on the $80K, $90K, and $100K+ alternatives. It's been a long, long time since Jaguar made a proper and good looking coupe - they only now fixed the ugliness of the 2012 XK Coupe refresh.

Zyzyxxz

YuriLowell said:

Of course but I never looked at this as a matter of money. If I was on a budget and had only 35K I would have gotten an NSX instead. It's on my childhood list of cars to own.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Jamesfrom818 said:
Not sure why you guys are drooling over that C-X16. Looks like a 370z to me.
Because it looks sliiightly more elegant and slightly less like a moving fridge than current Jaguars.

IMO Jaguars get overrated like a mofo when it comes to the looks/styling department.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
AlphaSnake said:
Plus Jaguar just invested a ton of money into lightweight platforms - would you believe me if I told you their gargantuan XJ sedan only weighs 4000lbs? Because it does. That thing with 385HP flies!
I can confirm this. Test drove it on a launch event they had organized here. Felt like a bauss. Didn't like the all-LCD screen gauges though, looked and felt cheap, which I'm sure is not what they were going for.

reilo

Dreams-Visions said:
I just scrolled up I still feel bad about that convo to this day. I must have been really frustrated, but that isn't an excuse.

oh, and no Bentley to whoever was asking.

and you guys should let me know when you're in Miami. I can scoop ya up. :)
To be fair, I egged you on about Lebron James not being a championship caliber player. It just happened that I was right.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
AlphaSnake said:
Plus, a simple ECU tune + pulley will cost about $1000 and net you far more power than bolt-ons (intake, exhaust, cat delete) will for way less money. :p
Poorly concieved ECU tunes have been causing cylinder failure in the 5.0 because the tuners were literally just messing with settings for no particular reason. If you end up losing cylinder 8, Ford won't warranty your motor even if you try and be sneaky and change the tune out before you show up.

AlphaSnake

Angry Grimace said:
Poorly concieved ECU tunes have been causing cylinder failure in the 5.0 because the tuners were literally just messing with settings for no particular reason. If you end up losing cylinder 8, Ford won't warranty your motor even if you try and be sneaky and change the tune out before you show up.

I'm talking about the Jaguar. It has a supercharged V6. The most common and power proven mod for a factory supercharger is an ECU tune and smaller pulley (IE: Audi S4)

AlphaSnake said:
I'm talking about the Jaguar. It has a supercharged V6. The most common and power proven mod for a factory supercharger is an ECU tune and smaller pulley (IE: Audi S4)

Of course its easy to turn up the boost with a tune.

If you wanna talk about monsters the f10 m5 is running 20 pounds of boost on that 4.4L V8 and supposedly the 560 horsepower number is at the rear wheels not the crankshaft.

AlphaSnake

YuriLowell said:
Of course its easy to turn up the boost with a tune.

If you wanna talk about monsters the f10 m5 is running 20 pounds of boost on that 4.4L V8 and supposedly the 560 horsepower number is at the rear wheels not the crankshaft.

Yeah, but coupe vs sedan. Either way, the new F10 is drool worthy. Best looking sedan among the Germans. The 550i with its TT 4.4 V8 is the true poor man's M5, and yet still a BMW. :D

Just needs a diff and a little software tuning...should be heavely with that beautiful M-package that makes it look damn near like an actual M5 (more so than any other M-package offered before by BMW).

BMW
bowdown.gif

Zyzyxxz

AlphaSnake said:
Yeah, but coupe vs sedan. Either way, the new F10 is drool worthy. Best looking sedan among the Germans. The 550i with its TT 4.4 V8 is the true poor man's M5, and yet still a BMW. :D

Just needs a diff and a little software tuning...should be heavely with that beautiful M-package that makes it look damn near like an actual M5 (more so than any other M-package offered before by BMW).

BMW
bowdown.gif

Well I agree with all except bold. I have to give my hat to the Audi S6 over the F10 M5.

I'm much more of fan of the simple and flowing designs of current Audis over current BMW's.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Pterion said:
You guys heard there will be sedan M3 and a M4 to replace the coupe, right?

yeah. M3 saloon coming quite soon after the new 3-saloon launch, not held back by having to wait until after the coupe. Then M4 after the 4-series launches. Thats going to take a bit of getting used to, but apparently by using another number for the coupes, they get to differentiate them more. Although with the E92 they differentiated just fine IMO.

I hadn't realised the 3-series was still the E90. I hated the look of the E90, but thought they'd released a new one to fit with the 5-series family look - more creased bonnet etc. But that just seems to have been a facelift. Whatever, I like it. Looking forward to the new one too

ascii42

Pterion said:
You guys heard there will be sedan M3 and a M4 to replace the coupe, right?
Yeah. It makes sense, goes with the 5 series sedan and 6 series coupe. I assume then that the 1 series coupe will become a 2 series?

Pterion

mrklaw said:
yeah. M3 saloon coming quite soon after the new 3-saloon launch, not held back by having to wait until after the coupe. Then M4 after the 4-series launches. Thats going to take a bit of getting used to, but apparently by using another number for the coupes, they get to differentiate them more. Although with the E92 they differentiated just fine IMO.

I hadn't realised the 3-series was still the E90. I hated the look of the E90, but thought they'd released a new one to fit with the 5-series family look - more creased bonnet etc. But that just seems to have been a facelift. Whatever, I like it. Looking forward to the new one too
You won't like the new 3 series then. Looks very similar to the E90.

http://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=576285&d=1315413097

h1nch

mrklaw said:

It took me awhile to get used to the E90, mainly because I thought the E46 was by far the most beautiful sedan design ever conceived. The E46 is still my fav but I've grown quite fond of the E90 design now too, especially with the LCI in 2009.

I hated the E60, but the F10 is quite beautiful for the most part. Still not sure what to think about what I've seen from the F30s (another reason why I wanted one of the last E90s) but I'll probably get used to it too.

Needless to say I'm a shameless BMW fanboy....

ascii42 said:
Yeah. It makes sense, goes with the 5 series sedan and 6 series coupe. I assume then that the 1 series coupe will become a 2 series?
Current 1 series in the US is going to be the 2 series yes.. While the 1 series will turn into what it is overseas .. a hatchback or whatever.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
There's something demoralizing about talking about all these nice cars when my car just overheats all the time for no reason and I can't even afford to fix the problems it has until I leave school :(

Sarcasm

I see the 1 Series Hatchback over here in TW a lot. Its not bad looking.

I am actually in the market here in TW for a car..since I just moved here. Looked at the Golfs (TDI, 2.0T and GTI not Golf+ yet) and Audi A3.

Audi A3 last year as a hatch is 2012..sadly turning into a sedan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom