• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Automotive Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pollux

weekend_warrior said:
the way the doors open on that ford evo is wild.
It'll never reach production as is...but if they made that car like that for a reasonable price I would be there day one. never thought i would say that about a ford.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
One thing I don't understand is why they never produce interior that actually resembles their concept cars.

I think only the new Lamborghini Aventador has an interior that looks somewhat conceptual as far as mass-scale production cars go.

TylerD

zmoney said:
It'll never reach production as is...but if they made that car like that for a reasonable price I would be there day one. never thought i would say that about a ford.

Within 4 months the first Ford with the styling cues of the Evos concept should be revealed. Speculation is that the car shown in 4 months will be the new Fusion.The Evos is a preview of Fords new design language that a lot of their vehicles will follow.

reilo said:
One thing I don't understand is why they never produce interior that actually resembles their concept cars.

I think only the new Lamborghini Aventador has an interior that looks somewhat conceptual as far as mass-scale production cars go.

Because of cost, practicality, and safety regulations. Most cars are built from parts bins. You can't build a production car from scratch and expect to sell it for $30,000.

Halvie

Banned
JackEtc said:
Guys, women (teenager girls) just don't understand.

I've got a A.W.E. Exhaust on my 2007 Jetta, and all of my dude friends love it. I think it's awesome, and it isn't just some shitty fartcan. I've heard people compare it to the sound a Gallardo makes, and I can maybe hear some (little) similarities, but who knows. POINT IS, it's a great sounding system.

I carpool to school with 3 of my neighbors, 2 guys and a girl. We all split up driving on different days. This was my first day to drive, and the first time the girl would be in my car. I pick them all up, we drive to school, it's cold, windows down, whatever.

Coming home, me and the 2 guys roll all the windows down because it's really nice out, and we could also hear the car better. I'm driving perfectly normally, accelerating normally, when suddenly, this girl turns and says "I gotta be honest Jack, you are a pretty douchey driver". All 3 of us guys kind just paused and looked at her. Eventually, after question her reasons behind it, she said "Well, I guess you just have a douchey car, and try to drive it as reasonably as possible."

Oh, and she drives an Element.

You still car pool with her? Pretty rude comment regardless of whatever is done to the car. Could have a dildo as a hood ornament and I wouldn't say something like that.

Doomsayer

weekend_warrior said:
I hear that a lot from people too because my WRX has a loud exhaust. People think I'm about blow the engine up when it's at like 3000 rpm.

I get that all the time in my WRX.

I drove past a cop at ~25 mph and he tells me "SLOW DOWN TURBO!"

I lol'd.

My MINI Coupe S has finished production!

Should be getting a boat assignment from Southampton, UK soon. Then it hits the waters for 2-3 weeks until it gets to Brunswick, GA at the BMW/MINI VDC (Vehicle Distribution Center).

I'm excited. I'm still like the only Coupe on order in Dallas and I hear they are only making like less than 1000 of these this year in the US.. :D

Viperbah

Doomsayer said:
I get that all the time in my WRX.

I drove past a cop at ~25 mph and he tells me "SLOW DOWN TURBO!"

I lol'd.

haha...surprised he didnt try and give you a ticket.

Cops around here (Central Virginia area) will give tickets left and right to loud import cars...yet will look the other way at loud muscle cars. Not that I am complaining since I own the latter....but I still find it somewhat unfair.

KingGondo

Banned
Anyone here have experience with VWs? I absolutely love the Tiguan, but I'm concerned about reliability.

Please exacerbate/assuage my fears.

Pollux

TylerD said:
Within 4 months the first Ford with the styling cues of the Evos concept should be revealed. Speculation is that the car shown in 4 months will be the new Fusion.The Evos is a preview of Fords new design language that a lot of their vehicles will follow.
Yea I saw that...but I would love to get the Evos as shown lol.

KingGondo

Banned
Pterion said:
Friends don't let friends buy volkswagens. J/k

I think the cc is pretty nice-looking.
Everything I've read about it is appealing. Nice ride, low road noise, good styling, decent power, good amount of room, good price... But I'm not willing to repair it unnecessarily.

I'll be trading in a 2002 Accord V6 with 150,000 miles on it and virtually no problems, so I don't want to have a rude awakening as far as maintenance goes.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
KingGondo said:
Everything I've read about it is appealing. Nice ride, low road noise, good styling, decent power, good amount of room, good price... But I'm not willing to repair it unnecessarily.

I'll be trading in a 2002 Accord V6 with 150,000 miles on it and virtually no problems, so I don't want to have a rude awakening as far as maintenance goes.

Used? Used German cars of any make are expensive to maintain.

KingGondo said:

VW is a joke compared to Honda in reliability.

Zyzyxxz

KingGondo said:

Don't forget rear headroom space sucks, so your tall friends will hate the back seat.

Looks wise its one of the best economy class sedans around but VW reliability keeps me from seriously considering it.

bah321 said:
haha...surprised he didnt try and give you a ticket.

Cops around here (Central Virginia area) will give tickets left and right to loud import cars...yet will look the other way at loud muscle cars. Not that I am complaining since I own the latter....but I still find it somewhat unfair.

Fuck those assfucks straight in the ass.

Gave my m3 a ticket for having an aftermarket exhaust.

there is nothing you can fucking do about it either.

KingGondo said:
Anyone here have experience with VWs? I absolutely love the Tiguan, but I'm concerned about reliability.

Please exacerbate/assuage my fears.

VW's are mexican made pieces of shit that fall apart after about 3 years.

TylerD

YuriLowell said:
VW's are mexican made pieces of shit that fall apart after about 3 years.

Tiguan is built in Wolfsburg, Germany. VW is very aware of the public's perception of the lack of reliability and is working hard to rectify it since they see that as a major factor to growing as much as they are trying to in the next several years to become the biggest auto manufacturer on the planet.

I recommend the Autoblog and Auto Line Afterhours podcasts if anyone is looking for good auto related podcasts.

JackEtc

My family bought a used 2007 Jetta 2.5, I really like it. Only real issue at the moment is that the low tire pressure light is always on, which I'm getting fixed in the winter when I get winter tires put on.

That, and the headliner is starting to come down, but that's just because of the past owner. Did beautiful things to the outside, but didn't give a shit about the inside. Whatever.

New car.. please get on a boat faster :(

61zEc.jpg

KingGondo

Banned
TylerD said:
Tiguan is built in Wolfsburg, Germany. VW is very aware of the public's perception of the lack of reliability and is working hard to rectify it since they see that as a major factor to growing as much as they are trying to in the next several years to become the biggest auto manufacturer on the planet.
Thanks for the feedback. I'm not in a huge rush to get a new car, but I'm definitely evaluating my options as fully as possible.

My heart may override my brain at this point, the Tiguan seems to have everything I want with the significant possible exception of rock-solid reliability.

even the more expensive vw's built in germany still fall apart.

VW's have been shit since the late 90s.

This is coming from someone who has worked on them, and on Audi's.

Fuck both of those car makers right in the ass.

YuriLowell said:
even the more expensive vw's built in germany still fall apart.

VW's have been shit since the late 90s.

This is coming from someone who has worked on them, and on Audi's.

Fuck both of those car makers right in the ass.

Audis have gotten a lot better since the 2006 refresh. Vw is still crap though.

h1nch

TurtleSnatcher said:
New car.. please get on a boat faster :(

61zEc.jpg

My car is currently somewhere in the middle of the Atlantic. Its scheduled to arrive in Brunswick GA on the 26th, and will probably take another week to arrive at the dealership. If it stays on schedule I'll actually be in Boston the day it arrives in TX, but as soon as I'm back in town I'm going to pick it up. I've been trying to track the location of the ship but so far all of the free tracking websites basically lost track of the ship after it left the English channel. >:{

Just counting the days now...

ascii42

There's a 1966 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham on eBay that I'm seriously considering trying to get. It sounds like it is in mostly good shape. I just have to figure out the logistics. It's in Connecticut, I'm in Georgia. Certainly I could have it shipped, but then I've bought it before driving it. Which I don't really want to do. I could fly up and drive it back, but then what do I do if I decide I don't want it?

I had a Caddy when I was in high school, and I've wanted to get back in one ever since. And this looks like a fine specimen, from back when it truly meant something to be a Cadillac. I love the interior.

$(KGrHqUOKjcE3J+K0e7!BN6B8bPqtw~~_12.JPG
$(KGrHqUOKm4E3cRTd(gcBN6B8mmz3Q~~_12.JPG

$(KGrHqYOKi4E3SHG1F6nBN6B-DdYfw~~_12.JPG
$(KGrHqUOKjkE29zTBlvOBN6B-ZtOCw~~_12.JPG

h1nch said:
My car is currently somewhere in the middle of the Atlantic. Its scheduled to arrive in Brunswick GA on the 26th, and will probably take another week to arrive at the dealership. If it stays on schedule I'll actually be in Boston the day it arrives in TX, but as soon as I'm back in town I'm going to pick it up. I've been trying to track the location of the ship but so far all of the free tracking websites basically lost track of the ship after it left the English channel. >:{

Just counting the days now...

Nothing even on Sailwx?

http://www.sailwx.info/shiptrack/index.html

BTW - My car is also going to TX so it is going to Brunswick VDC for BMW/MINI :p

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider
I had a chance to drive this grocery getter yesterday.

217f8ad5a65046c0945195385235306b.jpg

Now I really, really want one.

funkmasterb said:
Audis have gotten a lot better since the 2006 refresh. Vw is still crap though.

On a 2009 A8 v8 it takes 2 fucking hours to change the oil because of all of the stupid fucking shit you have to remove to get to it.

Audi has not gotten any better.

reilo

YuriLowell said:
On a 2009 A8 v8 it takes 2 fucking hours to change the oil because of all of the stupid fucking shit you have to remove to get to it.

What does that have to do with reliability and build quality?

YuriLowell said:

That has nothing to do with build quality....

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
YuriLowell said:

Takes 45 minutes. Stop exaggerating.

Zyzyxxz

YuriLowell said:

I don't know if you are a mechanic or something but I don't give a shit how long it takes you. I like how they drive and their exterior styling much better than BMW.

If I did change my own oil I might care but what your saying has nothing to do with reliability of a vehicle.

Whatever insider hate you have doesn't apply for the rest of us.

reilo

AlphaSnake said:
Takes 45 minutes. Stop exaggerating.
45 minutes is about the average time for a dealer to do an oil change. Two hours? lol.

My 2012 Audi S4 has cleared customs and is dealer bound, hopefully ready for pickup sometime this weekend. I am quite pumped, it's my first new car and it's been a while since I've had a vehicle with any oomph to it!

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
YuriLowell said:

haha, you're just mad because Chris Bangle took a boring looking car and made it ugly and boring and you're stuck with some of those lines for another decade. Don't worry, BMWs are still pretty good cars.

Also, how many A8 owners ever even open the hood of their car, never mind change their own oil. Holy shit.

TheBear

Just noticed this thread.

Here is my car! It's missing an interior at the moment.

66281_10150306063540301_905000300_15182425_5388699_n.jpg

302166_10150846888095301_905000300_20756819_1876036619_n.jpg

Just got a roll cage fitted and it's in the middle of getting sprayed and the interior fixed up. Can't wait to get it back on the road.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
kkaabboomm said:
My 2012 Audi S4 has cleared customs and is dealer bound, hopefully ready for pickup sometime this weekend. I am quite pumped, it's my first new car and it's been a while since I've had a vehicle with any oomph to it!

NICE!!!!

bigjimmystyle said:

[MG]http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/66281_10150306063540301_905000300_15182425_5388699_n.jpg[/IMG]
[MG]http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/302166_10150846888095301_905000300_20756819_1876036619_n.jpg[/IMG]

Just got a roll cage fitted and it's in the middle of getting sprayed and the interior fixed up. Can't wait to get it back on the road.

Awesome. What are you doing that you need a roll cage?

reilo

With a time of 7:40, the 2012 911 matches the mark set by the previous 911 GT3. If you happen to own a previous generation 911 GT3, we'll pause here for a moment while you go out to smash something with a hammer.
Sheeeesh. What the fuck is the next GT3 going to do then?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
whats the sweet spot for ipod price/storage? I want something I can just leave in the car as it has good ipod integration (full playlist support and artist search). The only spare ipod I have lying around is an old square nano which is only 4GB. I need maybe 16GB, could possibly squeeze by with 8GB.

I'm tempted by an iOS5 capable touch for wifi syncing, but I think thats overkill, plus I'm not sure my wifi will reach my driveway (and the ipod powers down when the engine switches off, and is in 'connected' mode when the engine is on, so it probably won't be usable)

So I'm guessing ebay for an old flash-based ipod but whats a good one?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Zyzyxxz said:
I don't know if you are a mechanic or something but I don't give a shit how long it takes you. I like how they drive and their exterior styling much better than BMW.

If I did change my own oil I might care but what your saying has nothing to do with reliability of a vehicle.

Whatever insider hate you have doesn't apply for the rest of us.

Really? I thought most people would agree that for interior styling, feeling like you're somewhere special, the Audi wins fairly easily. BMW is utilitarian and pragmatic, but not really 'special'. But its the opposite for driving, the BMW wins easily. My wife's A3 has zero steering wheel feel, entirely disconnected from the road. Lovely to sit in and lovely to look at but driving? Ugh.

bigjimmystyle said:

Dude, that is awesome.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Some pics of Dodge's replacement for the unloved Calibur have surfaced. It's rumored to be called the Hornet (calling isamu and Daytona USA-GAF) and it's been confirmed to use the platform Fiat is using for the Alfa Romeo Giulietta.

dodge-hornet-630.jpg

More info

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Considering Buick's cozy relationship with Opel, it's not too surprising to learn that the new Opel Astra hatchback may come to the US with the TriStar badge.

Opel%20Astra%20GTC.jpg

More info
Here's hoping it's a bigger hit than the Saturn Astra from a few years back.

ascii42

It could work as a Buick. As I recall, one of the problems with the Saturn Astra was the price. Buick can get away with charging more than Saturn could. Not sure about how that car's looks would work as a Buick though.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
ascii42 said:
It could work as a Buick. As I recall, one of the problems with the Saturn Astra was the price. Buick can get away with charging more than Saturn could. Not sure about how that car's looks would work as a Buick though.
The reason for the Saturn Astra's pricing was that it was imported from Belgium, and that sucked out any profit potential the car had.

GM's new labor agreement with the UAW specs that they'll reopen the former Saturn plant in Spring Hill, TN, and also to build a new compact car. The new Astra seems ready to come back...

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
ascii42 said:

They would just put a fucked up grill on it and call it a day.

bigjimmystyle said:

awesome. Canada?
My friend had a VSpec in Canada and was awesome until electrical gremlins crawled in.

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider
taziri1226jpimg600x4501zn0.jpg

This looks so good looking to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom