• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Automotive Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

MisterNoisy

Jamesfrom818 said:
I'm gonna have to agree. I never really liked the front end of the current Genesis coupe

You think so? I quite like the current nose (particularly the sickle-shaped headlights), though the grille needs to go. I don't think that dressing it down to look like the Elantra helps at all.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
MisterNoisy said:
Hyundai's plans for the nose of the 2013 Genesis Coupe are a travesty:

QUcwF.jpg

DpBKZ.jpg
Ermmmm, too much flare in the bumper. Better headlights though.

Halvie

Banned
MisterNoisy said:
Yea - this is definitely not a good thing. On the bright side, my resale probably went up a fair bit. :D

Current gen front end looks way better. Shame too, cause I was planning on considering the next gen genesis. Not so much now...

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I've never understood any of the love for the Genesis Coupe. It's ugly and swoopy and cheap looking like every other Hyundai.

MisterNoisy

Angry Grimace said:
I've never understood any of the love for the Genesis Coupe. It's ugly and swoopy and cheap looking like every other Hyundai.

Different strokes, I suppose - I quite like the 'swoopy' styling, particularly the side surfacing 'lightning bolt' and the rear 'haunches'. It stands out from the rest of the slab-sided Audi/BMW wannabes:

2gvjzgp.jpg

I admit - it helps that it's a hoot to drive, though.

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider
YuriLowell said:
I hope you mean rims because bigger tires out back has been going on for a long time.

What? I need that for winter driving, yo.

Haha.

It's just my commuter ride. Throwing $50 into a HID kit isn't a big thing.

No, gonna look for fun car to build this weekend.

Looking for a 510, E30, and maybe, maaaaaaybe a Silvia.

But, if I come across a decent FC or FD, I'll take one.

I secretly don't want an FD because it'll go down the road of me trying to eaither covert it to a Spirit R, or tossing a Vette engine in it.

ChiTownBuffalo said:
What? I need that for winter driving, yo.

Haha.

It's just my commuter ride. Throwing $50 into a HID kit isn't a big thing.

No, gonna look for fun car to build this weekend.

Looking for a 510, E30, and maybe, maaaaaaybe a Silvia.

But, if I come across a decent FC or FD, I'll take one.

I secretly don't want an FD because it'll go down the road of me trying to eaither covert it to a Spirit R, or tossing a Vette engine in it.

E30.

Don't look back.

God's chariot is awaiting.

Pterion

YuriLowell said:
E30.

Don't look back.

God's chariot is awaiting.
Old and outdated is god's chariot? Does the AC still even work? Is the paint rusting yet? Airbags? Curious to see how the interior held up over the years.

Sorry, but I don't get nostalgia when it comes to ''regular'' cars.

reilo

The prototype gets a suitably subtle and sexy name – the High Performance 4WD Full Electric – with "Performance" referring to the E's impressive 429 horsepower and 2,360 pound-feet of torque and "4WD" implying each wheel is fitted with a Protean electric motor.
whoa
The HP4FE is capable of scooting from 0 to 62 miles per hour in 6.9 seconds and can keep on blasting on down the road for up to 217 miles (at a constant speed of 62 mph) before that massive battery pack becomes fully depleted.
And we are done here.

JackEtc

Guys, women (teenager girls) just don't understand.

I've got a A.W.E. Exhaust on my 2007 Jetta, and all of my dude friends love it. I think it's awesome, and it isn't just some shitty fartcan. I've heard people compare it to the sound a Gallardo makes, and I can maybe hear some (little) similarities, but who knows. POINT IS, it's a great sounding system.

I carpool to school with 3 of my neighbors, 2 guys and a girl. We all split up driving on different days. This was my first day to drive, and the first time the girl would be in my car. I pick them all up, we drive to school, it's cold, windows down, whatever.

Coming home, me and the 2 guys roll all the windows down because it's really nice out, and we could also hear the car better. I'm driving perfectly normally, accelerating normally, when suddenly, this girl turns and says "I gotta be honest Jack, you are a pretty douchey driver". All 3 of us guys kind just paused and looked at her. Eventually, after question her reasons behind it, she said "Well, I guess you just have a douchey car, and try to drive it as reasonably as possible."

Oh, and she drives an Element.

HdrgQ.gif

Pterion said:
Old and outdated is god's chariot? Does the AC still even work? Is the paint rusting yet? Airbags? Curious to see how the interior held up over the years.

Sorry, but I don't get nostalgia when it comes to ''regular'' cars.

Old and outdated?

Get the fuck out.

BMW has yet to make a 3 series that looks better.

TylerD

Here is this thing again. Seems like we have been seeing it forever. Just build it already.

FT-86 concept 2 or is it FT-86 2 concept? whatever.

UTdLi.jpg

TylerD said:
Here is this thing again. Seems like we have been seeing it forever. Just build it already.

FT-86 concept 2 or is it FT-86 2 concept? whatever.

UTdLi.jpg

that can't be the most recent?

this is what we saw a few months ago:
Scion-FR-S-Red-Concept-2.jpg

JackEtc said:

I've got a A.W.E. Exhaust on my 2007 Jetta, and all of my dude friends love it. I think it's awesome, and it isn't just some shitty fartcan. I've heard people compare it to the sound a Gallardo makes, and I can maybe hear some (little) similarities, but who knows. POINT IS, it's a great sounding system.

I carpool to school with 3 of my neighbors, 2 guys and a girl. We all split up driving on different days. This was my first day to drive, and the first time the girl would be in my car. I pick them all up, we drive to school, it's cold, windows down, whatever.

Coming home, me and the 2 guys roll all the windows down because it's really nice out, and we could also hear the car better. I'm driving perfectly normally, accelerating normally, when suddenly, this girl turns and says "I gotta be honest Jack, you are a pretty douchey driver". All 3 of us guys kind just paused and looked at her. Eventually, after question her reasons behind it, she said "Well, I guess you just have a douchey car, and try to drive it as reasonably as possible."

I hear that a lot from people too because my WRX has a loud exhaust. People think I'm about blow the engine up when it's at like 3000 rpm.

JackEtc

weekend_warrior said:
I hear that a lot from people too because my WRX has a loud exhaust. People think I'm about blow the engine up when it's at like 3000 rpm.
My next door neighbor who also goes to school with me, and the older couple down the street (who are really really nice) say I sound like the mailman. I have no idea how.

Pterion

YuriLowell said:
Old and outdated?

Get the fuck out.

BMW has yet to make a 3 series that looks better.
E46 looks miles better exteriorly, but looks are subjective, so we won't go there. You haven't answered the other questions... I bet it's not a very practical car in this day and age.

Giant Robot said:
that can't be the most recent?

this is what we saw a few months ago:
Scion-FR-S-Red-Concept-2.jpg
That looks hot! You won't even need spacers if it comes like this stock...

Pterion

Giant Robot said:
^^^ most likely not going to look like that %100. Too much of a tuner look and some non-ergonomic choices, but that does look fucking hot.
But why not? Too much tuner look? Like people are going to say, no this is too hot for my wallet. Let's get the genesis coupe instead?

wat

because big wheels + tires + aero + brakes = $$$
Whole point of this car is to be cheap and fun like the AE86.
And it's Toyota trying to be cool again.

Don't get me wrong, i'd buy it in that exact configuration and form for their target of $20-something grand.

JackEtc said:

Well, that comment is uncalled for, true.

But I've never really seen the point of putting a performance exhaust on what isn't a performance vehicle.

On a Subaru WRX I can see the point, genuinely fast car. And I've got Termignoni's on my Ducati 1100. But yeah, I hear those horrible exhaust systems on slow-as-hell Golfs and old 1.6 BMW 3s over here and it just sounds lame. Noisy, but very slow to climb the revs. You just hear the engine's heart isn't in it. In that case I'd just stick to the practical/unassuming nature and appearance of my vehicle.

/edit: But yes, expecting most women to understand the appeal of a beautiful exhaust note is folly. Though my mom does, funnily enough.

Pterion

Giant Robot said:
because big wheels + tires + aero + brakes = $$$
Whole point of this car is to be cheap and fun like the AE86.
And it's Toyota trying to be cool again.

Don't get me wrong, i'd buy it in that exact configuration and form for their target of $20-something grand.
Better that look stock, than trying to achieve with after market parts. And we both know it. Add some $$$ to the price and still sell that thing, please.

JackEtc

Fallout-NL said:
But I've never really seen the point of putting a performance exhaust on what isn't a performance vehicle.
I can agree with you there, especially with all the riced out 199X-200X Civics around here. Before calling me a hypocrite, every thing that was done to the car I drive now (stock vs mine) was done by the previous owner, and the inline 5 on the Jetta is more powerful than any car in a similar range (most 4 cylinders). I'm glad the stuff the guy did to it at least keeps it looking classy. No giant ass spoilers or anything.

Fallout-NL said:
/edit: But yes, expecting most women to understand the appeal of a beautiful exhaust note is folly. Though my mom does, funnily enough.
My Dad and I (along with my little brothers) convinced her to let us get it, but I don't think she was super happy with it. One of her first cars as a teen was a Camaro, and she sold in like a month later to buy a Beetle. Not a car girl.

On the last day of school last year, I was about to leave the parking lot when a friend of mine pulled next to me with his super sexy 2010 Mustang (he (not the car, he) had got hit by a drunk driver earlier that year and this was a sort of surprise from his parents), and revs the engine. So I rev back, and out comes this (female) teacher (who we later find out is the sign language interpreter, ironically) and yells at us for causing a racket :lol

You guys disappoint me by not covering the best news out of the show: The new Lotus Exige S:

06lotus-exige-siaa11-628.jpg

It's now sporting a 346hp 3.5L V6 and will take on the Porsche Cockster R, or shall we say utterly destroy it, with it's 500lbs weight advantage.

What I really find fascinating is how that one Exige chassis has spawned 3 distinct range of cars with wildly different proportions and power outputs.

ExigeExigeVenomGT.jpg

Some info on the 2011 Hennessy Venom GT:

Hennessey Performance have revealed the official details on the Venom GT supercar. Based on a Lotus Elise, their kit will be limited to only five units, four of which have already being spoken for.

The Venom GT is powered by a supercharged 6.2 liter LS9 V8 engine, same used in the Corvette ZR1, that delivers a total of 725 bhp. And if this is not enough, the tuner will also be offering 1000 bhp and 1200 bhp twin turbo V8 engine variants. With a curb weight of 2,685 lbs, the 1200 HP Venom GT will hit a top speed of 275 mph.

The supercar features lightweight carbon fiber bodywork and carbon fiber wheels, a programmable traction control system, CFD (computational fluid dynamic) tested bodywork, an active aero system with adjustable rear wing, and an adjustable suspension system.

Prices start at $725,000 for the 725 HP variant, and go up to $950,000 for the 1200 HP Big Daddy model.

“Twelve hundred horsepower combined with in a mid-engine chassis that weighs twelve hundred kilos (2,685 lbs) – no other road car and only a handful of race cars can match the power to weight ratio of the Venom GT,” added HPE president and founder, John Hennessey. “It is a driver’s car, a supercar with a soul that will give you as much speed and performance as you dare ask of it.”

Exterior and Interior

The Venom GT started its life as a Lotus Elise and focused as much as possible on weight reduction. For that, Hennessey added lightweight carbon fiber bodywork and 20" carbon fiber wheels wrapped in massive Michelin PS2 tires. The car gets Brembo brakes with 6-piston calipers up front and 4-piston calipers in rear clamping down on 15-inch carbon ceramic rotors.

Hennessey is also offering an active aero system with an adjustable rear wing that will deploy under varying conditions on both the road and racetrack. Customers will also be able to adjust the ride height according to speed and driving conditions thanks to an adjustable suspension system.

Engine

For the Venom GT, Hennessey uses a Corvette ZR1 sourced 376 cid aluminum V8 engine that delivers an impressive 725 HP. The engine sends its power to the rear wheels via a Ricardo 6-speed gearbox and handling is facilitated by a KW variant three-adjustable coilover suspension.

The tuner is also offering 1000 HP and 1200 HP twin turbo V8 engine variants that utilize twin precision ball bearing turbochargers. In the more powerful version, the Venom GT pushes out 1200 HP at 6,500 rpm and 1,155 lb-ft of torque at 4,200 rpm. That translates into a specific output of 166 HP/L and a HP/Weight of 767.23 per ton (2.61 lbs/HP).

Getting to the numbers that are a little easier to swallow, the 1200 HP Venom GT will sprint from 0 to 60 mph in 2.5 seconds and to 200 mph in 15.9 seconds. The tuner has also reported a top speed of 275 mph.

Prices

Hennessy will only produce 5 units of the Venom GT, and four of them were reserved even before the car was launched. The 750-hp Venom GT price starts at $725,000, while the 1,200-hp version goes up to $950,000 plus shipping. At this price, customers will also be getting a 2yr/24,000 mile warranty. Each model will take six months to build and Hennessey will only be building five cars a year. The cars are assembled in Hennessey’s facilities in Sealy, Texas, Lake Forest, California and Silverstone, England.

There are also a few options that can be thrown into your Venom GT for a price. Check them out in the table provided.

Options & Personalization Price
Right-Hand Drive $28,225
Center Locking Hubs / Wheels $37,500
Dry “Naked” Carbon Fiber Exterior $375,000

With that amount of power and a 267 mph top speed, the Venom GT will tackle the latest Bugatti Veyron Super Sport head on. We know there is a huge difference between the two models, but power and mph are the only two taken under consideration here.

The Bugatti model is powered by a W16 engine that delivers a total of 1200 HP and has already established an impressive world record: 267 mph. All Hennessey has to do now is challenge that record. It already beats the Veyron in the 0-200mph sprint with a time of 15.9 seconds, compared to the Veyron’s 24.2 seconds, so maybe it will be an attainable goal.

2011 Hennessey Venom GT Specifications
Engine Chevrolet LS V8
Block Aluminum
Size 376 CID (6.2 Liter)
Position Mid Longitudinal
Compression 8.8:1
Redline 7,200 rpm
Forced Induction Twin Ball Bearing Turbochargers
Oiling System Dry Sump
Valvetrain OHV, 2 Valves per Cylinder
Fuel System Sequential Multi-Port Electronic Fuel Injection

Power
Horsepower 1,030 bhp @ 6,500 rpm (933 rear wheel hp)
Torque 972 lb-ft @ 4,200 rpm (874 rear wheel lb-ft)
Specific Output 166 bhp / Liter
BHP / Weight 767.23 hp per ton (2.61 lbs / hp)
Boost 16 psi (1.1 bar)
Fuel 93 octane

Transmission
Type Ricardo 6-Speed Manual
Gear Ratios 2.61:1, 1.71:1, 1.23:1, 0.94:1, 0.77:1; 0.63:1
Final Drive 3.36:1

Performance
0 - 100 km/h 2.9 sec
0 - 200 km/h 7.0 sec
0 - 300 km/h 14.9 sec

Aerodynamics
Drag Coefficient 0.36 (rear wing down); 0.43 (wing raised)
Downforce 1,492 lbs @ 150 mph

Brakes
Calipers Brembo 6-piston (all 4 corners)
Rotors 15.0 x 1.34 in Carbon Ceramic (all 4 corners)

Suspension
Type KW Variant 3 Adjustable Coilover (all 4 corners)
Ride Height Adjustable by 2.4 inches (60 mm)

Dimensions
Length 15.27 ft (4,655 mm)
Width 6.43 ft (1,960 mm)
Wheelbase 110.24 in (2,800 mm)
Track - Front 63.46 in (1,612 mm)
Track - Rear 63.15 in (1,604 mm)

Weight & Measurements
Curb Weight 2,685 lbs (1,220 kilo)
Dry Weight 2,524 lbs (1,147 kilo)
F/R Balance 37/63 (empty); 44/56 (with driver & passenger)
Fuel Capacity 18.5 gal (70 liter)

Link

reilo

Shogmaster said:
You guys disappoint me by not covering the best news out of the show: The new Lotus Exige S:

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.autoblog.com/media/2011/09/06lotus-exige-siaa11-628.jpg[/IMG[/QUOTE]
Totally useless car if I can't fit into it (I'm 6'4).

Pterion

I love progress. Looking forward to owning fast and fun cars for cheaper and cheaper. F1-like performance is not that far away...

Someone won't be too thrilled about it, haha.

Pterion

What's truly amazing about this video is the sheer brute power of this thing. I want this! No, I need this!

I, I demand this!

Pterion

Shogmaster said:
GODDAMNIT, they are only making 5? But I haven't won the lotto yet! *cries*
5 per year. This is quite possibly the greatest justification for higher education, if I ever saw one.

Pterion said:
5 per year. This is quite possibly the greatest justification for higher education, if I ever saw one.
Oh good. I'll keep buying lotto tickets then, cause my higher education haven't done shit for my bank account...

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
The Venom GT looks like a really awesome way to kill yourself. Imagine losing control of the ass-end and flying into a tree!

Pollux

y'all seen the new ford evo? Give me that car...right now...love it. Doubt it will end up looking anywhere near this cool:

ss-110914-frankfurt-auto-11.ss_full.jpg

Also the new BMW looks amazing. From what I've read they want to make this exact type of thing their standard car, kind of like the 3series is their standard body model now.

ss-110914-frankfurt-auto-17.ss_full.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom