• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Automotive Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
YuriLowell said:
Oh yes I must have completely fell asleep those extra 1hr and 15 mins.

I'm not exaggerating.

Ill just stay out of it since most of you don't know how to change your own oil, and only like cars based off the fancy lights on the outside.

So you watched someone do an oil change for 2 hours? You stood there the whole time? Come on, man. I've literally waited at my Audi dealer and watched for 45 mins on a Saturday morning while my A6 was getting its oil changed, and next to it was a 2010 S8. Both cars were finished in virtually the exact same time - the same tech worked on both cars.

AlphaSnake said:
So you watched someone do an oil change for 2 hours? You stood there the whole time? Come on, man. I've literally waited at my Audi dealer and watched for 45 mins on a Saturday morning while my A6 was getting its oil changed, and next to it was a 2010 S8. Both cars were finished in virtually the exact same time - the same tech worked on both cars.

im sorry I meant the w12.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
YuriLowell said:
im sorry I meant the w12.

Yeah...somehow I doubt any other 12-cylinder, 6.0L engine would be any quicker to do. Not like a W12 owner would even give a shit anyway.

Pterion

Man, that 991 performance is scary. Imagin the stock civics nurburgring times in 20 years from now. May even be faster than yuri's ride, lol.

Zyzyxxz

Tomorrow is OC International Auto Show, will take pics of the Lamborghini Aventador and Ferrari 458 (although I've seen a few already driving one).

Can't wait to drive a Fiat 500 and a Ford Mustang.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Zyzyxxz said:
Tomorrow is OC International Auto Show, will take pics of the Lamborghini Aventador and Ferrari 458 (although I've seen a few already driving one).

Can't wait to drive a Fiat 500 and a Ford Mustang.

You'll fall in love with the 500, I'm warning you.

ChiTownBuffalo said:
taziri1226jpimg600x4501zn0.jpg

This looks so good looking to me.

Paul Walker was driving one during the beginning of Fast Five

Zyzyxxz

Dam traffic was so bad around the convention center, that I didn't want to test drive too many cars since I would just go around the block and be stuck in traffic.

Cars I drove: Hyundai Genesis v8 R-Spec, Cadillac SRX, Cadillac CTS-V Sedan

Genesis was so nice and for the price I would definitely take it over a 5 series or E-class since its such a good value. Say what you will about the brand but when they are throwing so much standard features at you its hard to say yes.

SRX - not bad, FWD crossover that drove well but nothing outstanding, had a decent amount of power and surprised to see it was a CTS engine mounted for FWD somehow.

CTS-V the highlight of the day and I really wanted to punch it on the local streets but there were so many pedestrians and other traffic. Still I got a nice taste of it and luckily I got into the local CTS-V track day event in December so I'll have a much better impersonation then but so far I do like it.

So MINI dealerships in the US have started receiving their test drive models of the new Coupes.

Got to drive an S today. I love it :) Felt solid and tight on handling. It was odd that it actually felt more solid then a Cooper which I didn't think they could do. Felt about the same in terms of get up and go just like the previews stated.. it is a tad faster.

The visibility was a bit of a pain from the back since the window is smaller and the automatic deploying spoiler at 50mph can sometimes get in the way but other than that it was great. Can't wait for mine! Just a few more weeks.

Zyzyxxz

Almost any car with a spoiler has some rearview blockage.

I saw the Cooper Coupe and I felt it was a bit of an awkward looking card and not sure of the purpose of it, I feel the cooper convertible being a good enough I suppose that this model being unnecessary.

Zyzyxxz said:
Almost any car with a spoiler has some rearview blockage.

I saw the Cooper Coupe and I felt it was a bit of an awkward looking card and not sure of the purpose of it, I feel the cooper convertible being a good enough I suppose that this model being unnecessary.

Well the Coupe has a smaller back window then most cars which is why it happens to be worse and why I'm commenting it like that. Likewise I've owned a Cooper S and currently am in a 2010 Mazdaspeed3 and it is a pretty big difference but I will get use to it easily. The rear spoiler on the Coupe is also an automatic spoiler that pops up only after 50mph so it won't be present always.

The Coupe itself is similar to the others, yes, but it honestly has much tighter handling then my Cooper S hardtop (2007 R56). The Coupe apparently uses the convertible frame which is a bit more sturdy but in a 2 seater variant. Just a different looking car for those that want it that has a bit more performance. The JCW Coupe is the fastest full production MINI ever. (GP technically is faster but they only made like 2000 of those).

In other news.. What the hell was Hyundai thinking???

The Hyundai Veloster apparently plays a terribly cheesy song every time you start it up after its been idle for so long since the last start up. What the fuck?

Video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xH8YmmCTrbU#t=1m33s

Hyundai has always had the value thing handled. They offer tons for their value. They will always excel in options for pricing that is for sure. I still can't get over that terrible music that plays haha.

Zyzyxxz

TurtleSnatcher said:

The Hyundai Veloster apparently plays a terribly cheesy song every time you start it up after its been idle for so long since the last start up. What the fuck?

Video:

I don't really dig the looks either but at least it gets 40mpg.

It looked slow but for $17K what do you expect. I was thinking about driving it but for some reason everybody wanted to test it out and the Genesis R-Spec was sitting lonely.

Halvie

Banned
KingGondo said:
Anyone here have experience with VWs? I absolutely love the Tiguan, but I'm concerned about reliability.

Please exacerbate/assuage my fears.

My GTI is only a little over a year old. 30k on it. Over double stock hp. No problems as of yet.

Biggest complaint would be the lack of parts I can buy to put on it. Still gets 31/32 mpg if I don't drive aggressively.

TSI is a much better engine than the FSI.

Kabouter

Funky Papa said:
Somebody stop me before I buy a goddamned Evoque I DON'T FUCKING NEED.

http://www.autobild.es/sites/default/files/imagecache/NAB_625_375_Detalle_Imagen/galerias/galeria_land_rover_desvela_mas_datos_sobre_el_evoque/land_rover_evoque_3-4_del_3.jpg[IMG]
[IMG]http://autocareview.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/03-2012-Range-Rover-Evoque-dashboard-interior.jpg[IMG]

Oh god.[/QUOTE]
How can you be so sure you don't need it? Seems to me that everyone needs a car that good looking.

KingGondo

Banned
Halvie said:
My GTI is only a little over a year old. 30k on it. Over double stock hp. No problems as of yet.

Biggest complaint would be the lack of parts I can buy to put on it. Still gets 31/32 mpg if I don't drive aggressively.

TSI is a much better engine than the FSI.
Thanks for the feedback.

Zyzyxxz

Funky Papa said:
Somebody stop me before I buy a goddamned Evoque I DON'T FUCKING NEED.

Oh god.

I drove one at the Land Rover Evoque test drive event in SoCal and my impressions:

Pros:
-Pretty decent mileage for a luxury vehicle
-easy to drive
-looks big but is actually pretty small
-drives like a sedan IMO

Cons:
- its only $4K less than an LR4, I know they are different vehicles but for a bit more you get a 3rd row seat and much more space albiet at worser gas mileage.
- sun roof covers entire roof which is cool but does not retract which is not that cool
- rear window is so fucking tiny, visibility could be a problem and I can see the rear view camera being an necessity
- $44k seems alot for this car for what it is, I mean its roomy compared to sedans for 4 persons but the crossover category is still something I'm not big on.

I liked the car but probably would not buy it if I had the money since I prefer sedans and coupes.

TheBear

weekend_warrior said:
Awesome. What are you doing that you need a roll cage?

Had originally planned on racing it in club sprints, but I got over not having it on the road so I'm getting it registered and engineered for the road with the roll cage in it. I still plan on racing it where I can and doing track days and hillclimbs. I get some more photos when I've had the cage sprayed and interior fixed up.

Giant Robot said:
awesome. Canada?
My friend had a VSpec in Canada and was awesome until electrical gremlins crawled in.

Nope, Australia. I have had some massive issues with this car, mostly from taking it to the track and blowing shit up. There's hardly an original part on it. But it's still awesome!

a176

Banned
YuriLowell said:
On a 2009 A8 v8 it takes 2 fucking hours to change the oil because of all of the stupid fucking shit you have to remove to get to it.

Audi has not gotten any better.

?? confused ... you dont own an audi ??

YuriLowell said:
There is a reason they all copy BMW.
Audi is just fucking stupid if you wanna work on the car yourself.
I will never own an audi because I value my own sanity.

BMW/MINI

Why are your logistics/scheduling so god awful. My car has been at port for 10+ days waiting for a boat.

Unbelievably ridiculous and inefficient.

TurtleSnatcher said:
BMW/MINI

Why are your logistics/scheduling so god awful. My car has been at port for 10+ days waiting for a boat.

Unbelievably ridiculous and inefficient.

because race car.

Im also thinking about picking up an older evo8 for a track car.

anyone else rocking one?

reilo said:
Oh, you're back. What did you in?
What's good, pimpin.

In summary, I said "fuck Sarah Palin" in some thread about her, suggesting that her opinions aren't worth discussing because it's all an act. That even broken clocks can be right twice a day and shouldn't change the over-arching reality that they're wrong most of the time. That GAF should know better than to be snookered by her BS.

Apparently, some moderator was a little sensitive to the fact that I'm not ready/willing to/interested in swing arms wide in warm embrace of Sarah given the long history of comments she's made to date. We know who she is, and damn anything to the contrary in that regard. In retrospect, I'm quite proud of my position and I would have made the same post again if I knew it meant a 2-week vacation. Had a fucking blast with the re-applied time anyway. Smanged this cute Korean chick a couple times, made about $15k, did some car shopping (still thinking about it), hit up a few movies, hit a few clubs, banged up my knee. lol.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Dreams-Visions said:
What's good, pimpin.

In summary, I said "fuck Sarah Palin" in some thread about her, suggesting that her opinions aren't worth discussing because it's all an act. That even broken clocks can be right twice a day and shouldn't change the over-arching reality that they're wrong most of the time. That GAF should know better than to be snookered by her BS.

Apparently, some moderator was a little sensitive to the fact that I'm not ready/willing to/interested in swing arms wide in warm embrace of Sarah given the long history of comments she's made to date. We know who she is, and damn anything to the contrary in that regard. In retrospect, I'm quite proud of my position and I would have made the same post again if I knew it meant a 2-week vacation.
:-\
Had a fucking blast with the re-applied time anyway. Smanged this cute Korean chick a couple times, made about $15k, did some car shopping (still thinking about it), hit up a few movies, hit a few clubs
Nice.
, banged up my knee. lol.
Douche-karma, fyi.

:(

banged up the knee before smanging...but after getting paid. :)

Oh, I also went to Flo-Rida's birthday party. Got invited, so I went despite not listening to any of his music. It was pretty wild, I must say. I took a couple of iPhone pics I might post. But some of the chicks were pretty much wearing nothing but panties and a couple of stickers on the tittays.

Maybe it was karma for going to that.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Dreams-Visions said:
:(

banged up the knee before smanging.

Oh, I also went to Flo-Rida's birthday party. Got invited, so I went despite not listening to any of his music. It was pretty wild, I must say.

Maybe it was karma for going to that.
Did they play "We Already Won"?

TylerD

Dreams-Visions said:

According to this, Funky papa should buy a Porsche instead.

turtlesnatcher said:

Video:

Thanks for linking this video TurtleSnatcher. KyleSaab04 has so many thorough walkthroughs of interesting cars. Spent several hours last night watching them.

reilo said:
Did they play "We Already Won"?
Not that I heard, but honestly...I've never listened to his music on purpose, so I don't know what songs he does. Most appropriate pics:

img0860fm.jpg

img0863ry.jpg

The pole dancers were awfully cute (they were rocking undies and angel wings), and the bar tender was SMOKING. My boys were all drooling at her. Club was basically just a big lounge (there are couches in between the 4 pole dancers and a VIP area up 2 sets of stairs in the back. the DJ is below the flo rida sign.

Sorry they're so dark. Night club + iPhone = :-/

There were some fine chicks there, but the only one I was interested in talking to was the bartender...because she was probably the only hot chick there that wasn't a groupie of some sort. I'm straight on those.

Zyzyxxz

YuriLowell said:
because race car.

Im also thinking about picking up an older evo8 for a track car.

anyone else rocking one?

Evo 8/9 are ridiculously fast on the tracks and turbo upgrades are give relatively huge power gains for not much. If the price is right it would be a good track car if you don't care about possible downtime, the only problem with picking up a used Evo is that the previous owner probably drove it hard since its that kind of car.

I would get it inspected by a shop before you purchase it.

Ovid

Pterion said:
E46 looks miles better exteriorly, but looks are subjective, so we won't go there. You haven't answered the other questions... I bet it's not a very practical car in this day and age.

That looks hot! You won't even need spacers if it comes like this stock...
It's not gonna look like that. Those are 20 inch wheels...I think stock wheels are 18s.

Is there a "pick out a car for me" thread?

I don't know anything about cars. My wife and I share an '05 Camry, but I just got another job that's about a 1.5 hr drive away a few days a week, and sharing becomes impossible.

If I'll be putting a lot of miles on it, is it better to lease or buy? What do the monthly payments look like?

What's a recommended, affordable car? I don't really care about looks at all. I am interested in hybrids, but not if the math doesn't work out, i.e. the price premium overrides the gas savings.

What other information can I give that would be helpful towards a suggestion? Thanks.

ascii42

Battersea Power Station said:
Is there a "pick out a car for me" thread?

I don't know anything about cars. My wife and I share an '05 Camry, but I just got another job that's about a 1.5 hr drive away a few days a week, and sharing becomes impossible.

If I'll be putting a lot of miles on it, is it better to lease or buy? What do the monthly payments look like?

What's a recommended, affordable car? I don't really care about looks at all. I am interested in hybrids, but not if the math doesn't work out, i.e. the price premium overrides the gas savings.

What other information can I give that would be helpful towards a suggestion? Thanks.
Leases typically have mileage limits, and the best lease deals generally limit you to around 12,000 miles per year. With that commute, you'll certainly exceed that, so purchasing is the way to go.
Hybrids benefit you more in the city than on the highway. If you are getting a lot of highway miles a diesel car like the Golf or Jetta TDI might make more sense, or an efficient gas car like the Cruze Eco.
What are you looking to spend? I believe the Cruze Eco is around $18k, and VW's diesels are in the $23k to $25k range.

TylerD

There are certainly getting to be a lot more good options in the 40mpg + hwy category for Americans to buy.

Chevy Cruze Eco (as already mentioned)
Chevy Sonic
Ford Fiesta
Ford Focus
Ford Fusion Hybrid
Honda Civic Hybrid
Hyundai Elantra
Hyundai Veloster
Toyota Prius
VW Golf TDI
VW Jetta TDI (as already mentioned)
VW Passat TDI

There are probably more that I can't think of right now. Might just start searching for some of those and see how you like them and what features and prices are attractive to you.

Thanks. I'll start checking those out. Why do you guys recommend certain cars? Are those VWs and the Cruze more reliable/better-built than their peers?

Also, I'm not really sure about the price (other than lower is better) since I don't know how much I should care about a $3K difference, for example. I imagine if I have the care for ~10 years, it won't be that noticeable, right?

EDIT: I forgot to mention something I have a disagreement about with my wife: she thinks all wheel drive is important. I don't think it's a priority, since we have like maybe 2 big snow days a year.

Would adding the feature to the requirements decrease my options for affordability and gas efficiency?

EDIT: I forgot to mention something I have a disagreement about with my wife: she thinks all wheel drive is important. I don't think it's a priority, since we have like maybe 2 big snow days a year.

Would adding the feature to the requirements decrease my options for affordability and gas efficiency?
For a commuter car AWD is basically pointless and will just cost you price and mileage.

Edit: Most new cars now will have traction/stability control for the couple of days a year it gets really nasty. Or you can just call up work and say "Hey, there's a blizzard out. I'm not driving an hour and a half each way to come in. See you tomorrow."

ameratsu

Thanks. I'll start checking those out. Why do you guys recommend certain cars? Are those VWs and the Cruze more reliable/better-built than their peers?

Here is a recent review of the Cruze Eco if you want to know how it stacks up against other cars in its class. I assume that site has reviews on most of the cars you are considering as well.

TylerD

Also, I'm not really sure about the price (other than lower is better) since I don't know how much I should care about a $3K difference, for example. I imagine if I have the care for ~10 years, it won't be that noticeable, right?

For me, the main thing I would be looking for is driving dynamics. I enjoy driving and even if it is mostly highway driving I want something that would be entertaining. Others, might prefer lots of features and standard options for the money and you are going to have a hard time beating Hyundai for that.

There are several Kias that also get 40mpg too. If you are interested in a car and want to see the features that you can get on it search for it on this youtube channel. There is a chance he has a recent review of it.

http://www.youtube.com/user/saabkyle04/

He does thorough overviews and tours of many different cars and you can get a really good sense of what it might be like to use them on a day to day basis. For example, here is his Ford Fiesta video. He is dry but informative.

Ford Fiesta Tour

With the access we have to videos and information like this, you can pretty much decide on what you want before you even step foot on to the dealership. You might just need to confirm what a particular model drives like to make the final decision.

*Fist pump*

NEj2E.jpg

It is actually halfway across the Atlantic. I believe it gets to Brunswick Georgia at the BMW/MINI VDC on the 5th.

Apparently left Southampton UK this past weekend (24th)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom