• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Automotive Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
KingGondo said:
Trust me, if I were single the WRX hatch would be at the top of my list. If the Forester becomes my wife's primary car (she's currently driving a cheap 2004 Accent), then my options really open up and I can get something a bit more fun. The 370Z is my current (realistic) dream car.

As far as commuter cars go, I was looking more at newer Fits and Civics. You can get a lightly-used one (35k miles) for $13k-$14k, and even if I push it to 100,000 miles, the trade-in value won't be much less than $9k when I'm ready to trade up. Does this seem like a good plan?

Not really. Sounds like you want a new car for the sake of having a different, new commuter.

FYI, I picked up an '05 Acura TL 6-speed as a daily driver for $10k a couple of months ago. Gets about 33-35 mpg on the highway, super comfy, awesome handling/straightline speed, reliable, looks great, utterly destroys a Civic/Fit in every single category possible (except for space, Fit is godly in that regard). I spent about $1k in bolt-ons just for shits and giggles and picked up an extra 35whp, so it's got about 260~ whp (300~ bhp). Incredibly fun + economical commuter.

For $5k you can get a nice Civic/Altima/etc. But really, you should just put the $1k into your '02 Accord and save yourself the money.

ascii42

BoobPhysics101 said:
Holy fuck. For reference, the '09 Corvette ZR1 ran a 7:41.50, the 2010 GTR ran a 7:43.56, the 2010 Porsche 911 Turbo S ran a 7:41.23.

A fucking CAMARO runs laptimes in the same league as those god-cars. Wow. Maro Boyz across the country must be celebrating.
Which makes me wonder how much the thing is going to cost. The CTS-V starts at $63k. The Camaro isn't anywhere near as nice, so it obviously has to be a good deal cheaper. The Challenger SRT-8 is $45k, but the ZL1 would completely smash it. But anything over $50k sounds like way too much for a Camaro.

ascii42 said:
Which makes me wonder how much the thing is going to cost. The CTS-V starts at $63k. The Camaro isn't anywhere near as nice, so it obviously has to be a good deal cheaper. The Challenger SRT-8 is $45k, but the ZL1 would completely smash it. But anything over $50k sounds like way too much for a Camaro.

I'm going to guess it'll start at around 50-52k. At least 10k below the CTS-V.

I think the Camaro SS is a huge piece of shit, but this ZL1 is pretty awe-inspiring.

BTW, I'd like to post a correction:

The Camaro ZL1 lapped the 'Ring in 7:41:27. That's faster than an '09 ZR1 and almost exactly the same as the '10 911 Turbo S.

WTF...

KingGondo

Banned
BoobPhysics101 said:
Not really. Sounds like you want a new car for the sake of having a different, new commuter.

For $5k you can get a nice Civic/Altima/etc. But really, you should just put the $1k into your '02 Accord and save yourself the money.
I have faith that my current Accord will last, I just don't want to have the dreaded breakdown and have to try and scramble to find a new commuter car.

I'm having it worked on next Wednesday, I'll ask the mechanic if there's anything I need to look out for... but I'll likely end up sticking with it.

Thanks for the advice, I'm incredibly naive when it comes to car stuff.

KingGondo said:
I have faith that my current Accord will last, I just don't want to have the dreaded breakdown and have to try and scramble to find a new commuter car.

I'm having it worked on next Wednesday, I'll ask the mechanic if there's anything I need to look out for... but I'll likely end up sticking with it.

Thanks for the advice, I'm incredibly naive when it comes to car stuff.

It's an Accord, sir. As long as you don't beat the shit out of it and do the regular maintenance, it'll last almost forever. You can also probably do the work yourself for like $400-500 rather than the $1k you're about to dish out.

BoobPhysics101 said:
Lol yeah, I've looked at Evo 8's and 9's and I just threw up my hands and said 'fuck it', because to get a really nice one you have to pay a huge premium, and everything else is salvage/trash.

E85 is just nuts. He makes 320whp on 91 pump, so his E85 tune alone is an extra 50 whp...

Yeah im paying 23k for an 06 with 59k miles.
It just had its 60k mile service.

I wanted something stock because the other stuff looked beat to hell.

Smokey

I'm feeling that CTS-V. Luxury and fast as hell in one package? Maybe in a couple of years when I'm done paying for the 335...

YuriLowell said:

Damn man, that's crazy. You can get an '08 Evo X for like $27k. BUT... the Evo IX is so, so worth it. In for pics when you get it.

And make sure to get some basic bolt-ons and tune that bitch. Don't skimp on the suspension if you decide to track, you'll thank me later.

Smokey said:
I'm feeling that CTS-V. Luxury and fast as hell in one package? Maybe in a couple of years when I'm done paying for the 335...

CTS-V makes the 335i feel like a kiddy car. Won't be disappointed there.

Enron

Banned
Smokey said:

Too bad its ugly as hell. That's the only thing wrong with it. Maybe by then it'll get a redesign.

Shapingo

YuriLowell said:

Where do you live?
There are 08 Evo X's near me in Philly that go for $25000 with around 20,000 miles on them. All the 06 evo IX's are under $20000 as well.

Enron said:
Too bad its ugly as hell. That's the only thing wrong with it. Maybe by then it'll get a redesign.

You serious? The CTS-V looks great. Aggressive yet classy. I had one behind me the other day and I couldn't stop staring at it. Looks so much nicer than a stock CTS.

ascii42

BoobPhysics101 said:
You serious? The CTS-V looks great. Aggressive yet classy. I had one behind me the other day and I couldn't stop staring at it. Looks so much nicer than a stock CTS.
Yeah, even the V Coupe is starting to grow on me. I still think the Sedan looks the best. If I had the money, though, I'd get the Wagon, just 'cause.

Zyzyxxz

Smokey said:

Have you driven one? You will want to give up your 335 for one that's for sure.

Shapingo said:
Where do you live?
There are 08 Evo X's near me in Philly that go for $25000 with around 20,000 miles on them. All the 06 evo IX's are under $20000 as well.

Bum fuck nowhere in VA.

I think Evo X's look like shit, and all the cheap evo 9's are beat to shit. Im willing to pay a premium for a car I know that was taken care of.

This one is a one owner MR that has all the recipts for it.

Boys boys...lend me your ears.

1.) What is Car-GAF's thoughts on the BETA Tesla Model S? http://www.autoblog.com/photos/first-ride-2012-tesla-model-s-beta/#photo-4500449

Autoblog seemed to like it, though they didn't get to drive it explicitly. Personally, I'm feeling the infotainment system, but don't really like how it's integrated (physically). It's functionality, however, is incredible and clearly the future.

But I'm still not sure what I'm going to do with my deposit on one. Fortunately, I can get it back at any time.

2.) Let us discuss the E-Class Coupe. First of all, I hadn't really considered MB because I assumed their reliability was more or less no better than BMW...and because I didn't think they had any Coupes in my price range that I liked the look of. Well I decided to stop by the MB dealership today on the way back from seeing my Orthopedic Surgeon ( sad face ) and DAMN. To my eyes the E350/550 is just beautiful inside and out. Fit and finish felt great and as one looking to buy my next car, the fact that the engine is natural aspirated is a plus (no turbos = less problems). The car I test drove was a 305HP V6 (about 280 torque). It felt good. Not as good as some of the other cars I'm looking at, but quite solid considering it's a N.A. engine. It has a beautiful panoramic glass roof, really nice amenities, atypically comfortable seats, backup camera, and a dead-simple infotainment system. Even lane assist (vibrating wheel if you're drifting into another lane). I really have nothing but good things to say about the car. Plus, I rarely see them down here in So. Fla vs some of the other cars I've been looking at.

Since I had not really seriously considered MB, I came home and looked at JD Power's ratings for MB and they really don't get better among cars. This surprised me given the usual tone of conversation we have here about German cars past the warranty. Indeed, only they and Porsche rank among the very best it seems...but there they are. And again, with a N.A. engine, I assume the engine and powertrain will be the last things likely to go. Their warranty isn't as awesome as BMW's (where you pay $0 on maintenance), but I certainly feel more comfortable with

So Car-GAF, let me know what you think about MB in general, their N.A. Engines and the E Coupe in particular. I looked but couldn't find a MB forum worth a damn to even query...and there are shockingly few 2012 E class reviews on the net at the moment. Honestly, I liked everything about the car series so I could be in a 350 or 550 by the end of the month (depending on if I like the discount price and financing, of course). But if Car-GAF has knows of real issues that I ought to be aware of, let me know.

Pics below:

img0903p.jpg

img0911wr.jpg

img0893m.jpg

img0895oz.jpg

http://img585.imageshack.us/img585/3007/img0907bg.jpg
http://img836.imageshack.us/img836/5616/img0897ad.jpg
http://img406.imageshack.us/img406/402/img0891z.jpg
http://img820.imageshack.us/img820/7168/img0899x.jpg
http://img580.imageshack.us/img580/8287/img0911fz.jpg
http://img202.imageshack.us/img202/2756/img0909hx.jpg
http://img821.imageshack.us/img821/8464/img0905mk.jpg
http://img856.imageshack.us/img856/1903/img0915pq.jpg
http://img847.imageshack.us/img847/6650/img0917r.jpg
http://img199.imageshack.us/img199/76/img0901sy.jpg

SPEAK TO ME GAF.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
It's a nice car.

But if you wanted a coupe with a big NA engine and the looks to die for, then why haven't you considered a 2011-12 S5 while they are still available with the V8?

Then again, you can't really go wrong with either one.

Miroku said:
I thought you were going to get a 911?

:/
I'm just looking at all of my options and a used 2009 or 2010 Porsche at the price I want to pay seems to be very slow in arriving. My money is burning my pockets. :p

But really, I thought the car is worthy of consideration after the test drive. My only requirement is that it's a 2-door that I'll enjoy, so my options are pretty broad.

relio - As for the S5...I test drove it and liked it. Great engine note and looks. But since I'm buying and planning to keep for at least 7 years, I worry a bit about the longevity of an Audi. Especially with their well known carbon build-up issues on the S5. I'm not big on the idea of deconstructing the engine every 15,000 miles and cleaning carbon out just to keep all my HP, you know? So idk about the S5. But it's a beautiful car and I'd lease one just for that V8 sound. I won't say it's off the table...but it's teetering atm.

Boob - You think it's ugly mang? I might in pictures too. But have you seen one in person? I was very impressed indeed.

edit: also the A/S5 is in the same position as the 3-series in that it's about to get a body redesign...and I'm still kinda leary about buying into a body design going through a major change. Yea, the Porsche got a redesign this year too...but they all still look like Porsches. The E Coupe isn't going to be redesigned again until 2016. It's important as one who's looking to buy, you know? Knowing my shit will look current for the majority of the remainder of the decade.

Dreams-Visions said:
I'm just looking at all of my options and a used 2009 or 2010 Porsche at the price I want to pay seems to be very slow in arriving. My money is burning my pockets. :p

But really, I thought the car is worthy of consideration after the test drive. My only requirement is that it's a 2-door that I'll enjoy, so my options are pretty broad.

relio - As for the S5...I test drove it and liked it. Great engine note and looks. But since I'm buying and planning to keep for at least 7 years, I worry a bit about the longevity of an Audi. Especially with their well known carbon build-up issues on the S5. I'm not big on the idea of deconstructing the engine every 15,000 miles and cleaning carbon out just to keep all my HP, you know? So idk about the S5. But it's a beautiful car and I'd lease one just for that V8 sound. I won't say it's off the table...but it's teetering atm.

Boob - You think it's ugly mang? I might in pictures too. But have you seen one in person? I was very impressed indeed.

edit: also the A/S5 is in the same position as the 3-series in that it's about to get a body redesign...and I'm still kinda leary about buying into a body design going through a major change. Yea, the Porsche got a redesign this year too...but they all still look like Porsches. The E Coupe isn't going to be redesigned again until 2016. It's important as one who's looking to buy, you know? Knowing my shit will look current for the majority of the remainder of the decade.

Dude, the only Mercedes that really catch my eye are AMG's. They sound, look, and perform like sex. Everything else is blah, middle-aged-older person driving material.

You want a slick daily, buy a 335d, Juicebox that shit to 700+ lb-ft of torque, and enjoy the feeling of having an absolute torque monster sleeper-beast at your command. That's a way more boss, sleeper car than a fucking E class lol.

Alternatively, I'd totally recommend a V10 equipped last-gen M5. That would be a fundaily, and depending on the year you can get them for a really good price. The seats are AMAZING, and so is that engine. Those seats feel so good that the only way they could be better is if they had a supermodel inside to provide oral sex.

Also, looking to keep a German luxury car for more than 2-3 years is NO BUENO. Fuck that. At the end of year 4 you'll be ready to drive that shit into a wall and collect on insurance.

BoobPhysics101 said:
Dude, the only Mercedes that really catch my eye are AMG's. They sound, look, and perform like sex. Everything else is blah, middle-aged-older person driving material.

You want a slick daily, buy a 335d, Juicebox that shit to 700+ lb-ft of torque, and enjoy the feeling of having an absolute torque monster sleeper-beast at your command. That's a way more boss, sleeper car than a fucking E class lol.

Alternatively, I'd totally recommend a V10 equipped last-gen M5. That would be a fundaily, and depending on the year you can get them for a really good price. The seats are AMAZING, and so is that engine. Those seats feel so good that the only way they could be better is if they had a supermodel inside to provide oral sex.

Also, looking to keep a German luxury car for more than 2-3 years is NO BUENO. Fuck that. At the end of year 4 you'll be ready to drive that shit into a wall and collect on insurance.
well yea, if you're modding the engines to 100HP+ over their rating for years, hell naw you aren't going to want to keep it for more than 3 years. and yea, if you're only reference point with German reliability is based on the experiences of those Juiceboxing/Denon'ing/Vinsu'ing their BMW's...I'll just say that's not a very good sample size of reliability for stock cars (as any of mine are likely to be) over time.

Again, I'm not interested in modding engines anymore. And definitely not for a car I want lasting for 7 years+.

So yes, we can constrain the general discussion to engines that won't be modded. And yea, AMG is cool if you're into 12MPG driving. I'll pass, despite that nice engine note. the E350 sounded damn good yesterday.

speedline

Banned
Enron said:

The CTS-V is pure sex. Love the styling and pretty much everything about it. If I had the dough and HAD to have a 4 door, that would be my first choice.

Sarcasm

Wife and I still car shopping over here in TW. Looking for good interior.

We looked at the Golfs (GTI, TDI, the 2.0T gas sicne the 1.6 is an option) and Audi A3.

Going to look at mini, anything to know?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I like the current C-class, but still not a fan of the E. F10 5-series is better looking and I'd expect drives better too. MB will be more comfortable though.

Zyzyxxz

Dreams-Visions said:
well yea, if you're modding the engines to 100HP+ over their rating for years, hell naw you aren't going to want to keep it for more than 3 years. and yea, if you're only reference point with German reliability is based on the experiences of those Juiceboxing/Denon'ing/Vinsu'ing their BMW's...I'll just say that's not a very good sample size of reliability for stock cars (as any of mine are likely to be) over time.

Again, I'm not interested in modding engines anymore. And definitely not for a car I want lasting for 7 years+.

So yes, we can constrain the general discussion to engines that won't be modded. And yea, AMG is cool if you're into 12MPG driving. I'll pass, despite that nice engine note. the E350 sounded damn good yesterday.

From what I gathered about Mercedes reliability it has usually been relegated to electronic failures since they tend to have much more electronics than a normal car. Engine and powertrain reliability wise you are good.

mrklaw said:
I like the current C-class, but still not a fan of the E. F10 5-series is better looking and I'd expect drives better too. MB will be more comfortable though.
I really do like the look of the new 5 (some don't but w/e). But for me it's Coupe or bust, so the 5 is out. As for the E Coupe...nah man, handled and drove like a dream. I kid you not. I felt like I was in a small, nimble car. Very sure of itself around curves. It even has staggered wheels in the back.

And consider: Brand new, the E-Class Coupe is less than a 335i with the same equipment. I said, "wut."

Zyzyxxz said:
From what I gathered about Mercedes reliability it has usually been relegated to electronic failures since they tend to have much more electronics than a normal car. Engine and powertrain reliability wise you are good.
thank you for the insight. I'll look into their electronic issues. Call a few mechanics up for their opinions as well.

YuriLowell said:
yes, it is. and the new coupe is beautiful man. I didn't test drive the C coupe, but I sat in one for about 20 minutes, playing around with things. Nice fit and finish. I'd definitely recommend it over the average 3-series on *looks*, but it's probably not based on performance.

They didn't have a C63 on the lot, but I'm sure someone does down here. I'd like to test drive one even though I'm probably not going to buy one. I just don't know if I can accept 13MPG. (note: none of the cars I'm considering get less than 17mpg city). But who knows. Before yesterday, the MB wasn't even near my radar. I might come home with a C63 at this pace. lol

reilo said:
lol, pretty much.

But you know what? bless Terry @ BMS for coming up with Juicebox. the 3-series TT is truly the only car I've ever seen where you can add +100HP and +120 Torque for less than $1500. You can't turn a 335i into an M3...but damn you can get mighty close, so long as longevity isn't your motivation.

reilo

BoobPhysics101 said:
You want a slick daily, buy a 335d, Juicebox that shit to 700+ lb-ft of torque
Ermmmm.

EDIT:

What about the C63AMG Coupe?

2012-Mercedes-Benz-C63-AMG-Coupe-41147.jpg

13/19MPG! But 450HP!

reilo said:
Ermmmm.

EDIT:

What about the C63AMG Coupe?

2012-Mercedes-Benz-C63-AMG-Coupe-41147.jpg

13/19MPG! But 450HP!
Seriously: pictures don't do the new C coupe justice. I sat in a C350 coupe and it was a much better looking car than the 3-series coupe by a country mile. Inside and out.

But as you pointed out...dat 13mpg city. which is probably more like 10mpg with "spirited" driving. and really, if you're buying that car, you better drive that sommbitch like the police are chasing you. It's only proper.

KingGondo

Banned
That's a beautiful car.

Also, I'd like to point out how ridiculous my concerns seem next to Dreams-Visions'.

"Hay guyz... damn I don't want to put $1000 into my 2002 Accord with 150k miles..."

"Hey everyone: I just need some advice on which BALLER car to buy, and whether or not I should spend six figures. My car will be fucking awesome no matter what, I just need to decide which flavor of awesome it will be."

:p

Yes, I mad :(

Apologies if it comes off like that. I do realize how that sort of impression can be left and that's definitely not my goal. I just don't know a lot of people who are really into cars to ask...and there are very few forums anywhere near as active as GAF who actually know their shit.

:-(

reilo

Dreams-Visions said:
Seriously: pictures don't do the new C coupe justice. I sat in a C350 coupe and it was a much better looking car than the 3-series coupe by a country mile. Inside and out.

But as you pointed out...dat 13mpg city. which is probably more like 10mpg with "spirited" driving. and really, if you're buying that car, you better drive that sommbitch like the police are chasing you. It's only proper.
What about the C350 Coupe then? It's $20k cheaper MSRP at $42k, and it has that V6 you like but more powerful. It gets 19/28MPG.

If you want the E-Class in a coupe, you get a slightly heavier car with a slower V6, worse fuel economy, and $6k more MSRP. Unless you really need the bigger car and just downright love the styling of the E-Class, the C350 makes a lot more sense for the money.

KingGondo said:
That's a beautiful car.

Also, I'd like to point out how ridiculous my concerns seem next to Dreams-Visions'.

"Hay guyz... damn I don't want to put $1000 into my 2002 Accord with 150k miles..."

"Hey everyone: I just need some advice on which BALLER car to buy, and whether or not I should spend six figures. My car will be fucking awesome no matter what, I just need to decide which flavor of awesome it will be."

:p

Yes, I mad :(
Just wait until I start bitching because I won't be able to decide between an Audi S4, S5 or BMW M3 next summer.

reilo said:
What about the C350 Coupe then? It's $20k cheaper MSRP at $42k, and it has that V6 you like but more powerful. It gets 19/28MPG.

If you want the E-Class in a coupe, you get a slightly heavier car with a slower V6, worse fuel economy, and $6k more MSRP. Unless you really need the bigger car and just downright love the styling of the E-Class, the C350 makes a lot more sense for the money.
fair points. I need to take it for a test drive, really. but yea, the E felt right. The one I test drove was like $57 on the sticker (probably $54k out the door) and had all but 1 moderately interesting option (bi-xenon lights).

I also feel like the size (appears to be around the size of an Audi A/S5 on the inside) presents a more flexible option for the future. As a 31 year old, thoughts of family are starting to creep in...so maybe having a slightly larger back seat gives me the better of both worlds (Coupe which I want, decent back seat for a baby seat?).

Idk. I feel like I can rationally justify any of these cars...which I think makes it all harder.

ascii42

What is it exactly that makes you definitely want a coupe? Just general feel, or something? You said you like the looks of the 5-series.

ascii42 said:
What is it exactly that makes you definitely want a coupe? Just general feel, or something? You said you like the looks of the 5-series.
I prefer the sporty look of coupes. Most of the cars I've had are sedans that look good but aren't sporty per se...and that's just not my personality all the time, you know? Most of my sedan buying decisions were made under the assumption that I'd be soon expanding my family or have lots of people riding in the back seat. None of which proved to be true...and I felt like opportunities were wasted to get cars I really liked (exterior styling).

So I decided long ago that I wouldn't buy a sedan this time around under any circumstances and I'm going to hold fast to that. My next 4-door is likely to be a Tesla Model S, provided they survive into 2014. But for now...Coupes! And really, my list is short at this point:

MB E-Coupe
BMW 335i/is
'09/'10 Porsche Carrera/Targa S
'10 Jaguar XK
Audi S5
Caddy CTS/V

All have pros and cons...and some with much longer lists of cons than others. Because I'm looking to buy and keep for several years, issues like reliability and dependability take center stage. Some cars I'm not completely satisfied with their exterior look (Jag). Others, with their commonality (335). Others still are brands that have something to prove as far as longevity (Audi carbon build-up, BMW turbo engines).

The Caddy is pretty much the only one that I've ruled out at this point. I just can't accept how poor the visibility is out of the rear. It's just too hard to see the blind spot. S5 is teetering out because of the afore mentioned issue.

The MB is probably the only car on the list that I felt great comfort with the combination of its looks, feel and reliability track record as a brand. It comes with the least cons of all. Whether that will be enough to put it over the top remains to be seen...but i really like it.

Smokey

Zyzyxxz said:
Have you driven one? You will want to give up your 335 for one that's for sure.

No I haven't. It's quite up there in price though hence the reason for taking notice of it, but waiting a couple of years :). I wouldn't even waste a dealers time at this point test driving it.

Dreams-Visions said:
I prefer the sporty look of coupes. Most of the cars I've had are sedans that look good but aren't sporty per se...and that's just not my personality all the time, you know? Most of my sedan buying decisions were made under the assumption that I'd be soon expanding my family or have lots of people riding in the back seat. None of which proved to be true...and I felt like opportunities were wasted to get cars I really liked (exterior styling).

So I decided long ago that I wouldn't buy a sedan this time around under any circumstances and I'm going to hold fast to that. My next 4-door is likely to be a Tesla Model S, provided they survive into 2014. But for now...Coupes! And really, my list is short at this point:

MB E-Coupe
BMW 335i/is
'09/'10 Porsche Carrera/Targa S
'10 Jaguar XK
Audi S5
Caddy CTS/V

All have pros and cons...and some with much longer lists of cons than others. Because I'm looking to buy and keep for several years, issues like reliability and dependability take center stage. Some cars I'm not completely satisfied with their exterior look (Jag). Others, with their commonality (335). Others still are brands that have something to prove as far as longevity (Audi carbon build-up, BMW turbo engines).

The Caddy is pretty much the only one that I've ruled out at this point. I just can't accept how poor the visibility is out of the rear. It's just too hard to see the blind spot. S5 is teetering out because of the afore mentioned issue.

The MB is probably the only car on the list that I felt great comfort with the combination of its looks, feel and reliability track record as a brand. It comes with the least cons of all. Whether that will be enough to put it over the top remains to be seen...but i really like it.

as the proud owner of a brand new S4, and a friend of mine a week prior (I picked my S4 up on the 26th, he picked his S5 up on the 19) I'd say go that way. they're mucho fun.

KingGondo

Banned
Dreams-Visions said:
Apologies if it comes off like that. I do realize how that sort of impression can be left and that's definitely not my goal. I just don't know a lot of people who are really into cars to ask...and there are very few forums anywhere near as active as GAF who actually know their shit.

:-(
No no no, don't take it the wrong way. I love cars too and enjoy the discussion.

I was more making fun of myself and my (for now) limited options. Trust me, when my law practice gets off the ground in a few years, I'll probably be asking Car-GAF about many of the same things. :)

You don't come off as snobby as all--you're obviously putting a lot of thought into your purchase rather than just going for a status symbol.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Dreams-Visions said:

I don't know what C-Class Coupe you sat in, but I checked one out at the dealer last week (also at the NY Auto Show months back) and man...what a disaster of cheap plastics. Don't even compare this hunk of junk to a 3-series. My buddy is a die-hard Benz fan, and he wanted a C250 Coupe for himself, until we went last week and he was so turned off by how plasticky the interior is. The entire center console was just underwhelming.

My girlfriend's 335 Coupe shits all over the interior of the Benz, from build quality to material quality to aesthetics.

ascii42

Dreams-Visions said:
Yeah. You basically have to use the reverse camera in the CTS Coupe. One of the reasons why if I were getting a CTS I'd get the sedan or wagon. Blind-spots? Just use those 556 hp to blast ahead of whatever might be lurking there. :p

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
2012_mercedes-benz_c-class_coupe_73_1280x960.jpg

I'm sorry, but that interior is ghastly. So many weird shapes, lines, and squares all over the place, pointless dials, endless buttons, etc.

AlphaSnake said:
http://images.caricos.com/m/mercedes-benz/2012_mercedes-benz_c-class_coupe/images/1280x960/2012_mercedes-benz_c-class_coupe_73_1280x960.jpg[/IM]

I'm sorry, but that interior is ghastly. So many weird shapes, lines, and squares all over the place, pointless dials, endless buttons, etc.[/QUOTE]
I...well yea, on second look, you're right. That doesn't look the best. I suppose I spent too much time playing with the Nav system and too little time examining the materials. As for the dials...they're very straight-forward. one dial for the volume, 2 dials for the dual-zone climate. number pad on the right of the volume dial for dialing in phone numbers or addresses quickly. buttons to the left of the voume dial for selecting audio sources/nav (though you can do that all on the screen if you prefer).

I think their nav UI is superior to BMWs from what I saw. Faster, more efficient.

I can't say I had a problem with the lines on the inside, as one who sat in it...but I did notice quite a bit of cheapish plastic. Then again, it didn't surprise me since it was a car that starts at like $32k. One thing I definitely noticed was that the seats were damn comfortable.

[QUOTE=KingGondo]I was trying to be nice. I think we all remember when D-V made himself instantly notorious on BEST-GAF.[/QUOTE]
I'm never gonna live that down. :-( I only defend myself when I feel attacked, as anyone would.

nitewulf

the E350 is a stunning car, I checked one out while shopping around. the one i saw was dark olive, a stunning color, like military gear. if you liked what you drove, go for it. completely disagree that the regular C class is better looking than the 3 series though. the 3 series coupe is stunning to look at from the outside, and interior is nice. the C350 is cute but thats about it.they are both pretty common here in nyc though, as is the E350 these days.

Zyzyxxz

I agree the CTS-V does not have the best interior but it is by no means Corvette crappy but when you push the start engine button it will put a smirk on your face.

As a sedan its pretty damn fun and sucks you in. If I was looking for a relatively reliable performance sedan I would definitely consider the CTS-V along with a E63 or M5.

nitewulf said:
the E350 is a stunning car, I checked one out while shopping around. the one i saw was dark olive, a stunning color, like military gear. if you liked what you drove, go for it. completely disagree that the regular C class is better looking than the 3 series though. the 3 series coupe is stunning to look at from the outside, and interior is nice. the C350 is cute but thats about it.they are both pretty common here in nyc though, as is the E350 these days.
E350 is common up there, eh? Pretty rare down here.

And for me, I think the 3-series is just kinda...it's worn on me. But it's been with us in its current form for 5 or 6 years. And down here in So. Fla, they're so common as to be almost irritating. But what can you say? The 335 is a modders dream. I thnik I'm just ready to look at a different design from them. That said, I never had any complaints about my 3's interior other than the placement of the passenger cup holder. It was very nice. Maybe I needed to spend more time with the C Coupe to really form a serious opinion about its interior. idk. If for nothing else, I know that the seats felt better in the C. The rest is a matter of opinion. I was moderately impressed that you can talk to the nav system to dial in your destination. Not the speediest process, but if you're driving it certainly beats punching shit in manually.

But I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks the E Coupe is made of win.

Zyzyxxz said:
I agree the CTS-V does not have the best interior but it is by no means Corvette crappy but when you push the start engine button it will put a smirk on your face.

As a sedan its pretty damn fun and sucks you in. If I was looking for a relatively reliable performance sedan I would definitely consider the CTS-V along with a E63 or M5.
I thought the interior of the CTS is the best part of the car. My problem with it was visibility. The narrow windows are bad, but the C pillar thickness is just outrageous. I think you have to be really in love with that car in order to accept such an issue.

Speaking of which, I think it's pretty awesome that the E Coupe doesn't have a B pillar. it looks really cool IRL.

also a bit lost in this discussion: what does Car-GAF think of the Tesla Model S? They demo'd it for the pre-orders who could make it out to Cali this week and that 17" touchscreen looks like the future to me due to all the design flexibility it brings and weight saved.

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ
BoobPhysics101 said:
BTW, I'd like to post a correction:

The Camaro ZL1 lapped the 'Ring in 7:41:27. That's faster than an '09 ZR1 and almost exactly the same as the '10 911 Turbo S.

WTF...

Damn, least they didnt lay an egg with the ZL1 badge considering how bad ass the first one was. Fords turn.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom