• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Automotive Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sarcasm

TurtleSnatcher said:
Nice.

Which model? I'm assuming Hatchback? I'm getting a Coupe which just launched on October 1st in the US.

Mostly focusing on the hatch s version. May even check out the diesel. Also probably check out BMW 1 series since same lot. Yes I know why lol.

Sarcasm said:
Mostly focusing on the hatch s version. May even check out the diesel. Also probably check out BMW 1 series since same lot. Yes I know why lol.
Nice have fun.

The 1 series was another option I was looking at.. but I'd be mad if I didn't get a 135i and only got a 128i. The price was a bit out of reach so it made my decision a bit easier.. Plus I love the personality of the MINI.

Sarcasm

TurtleSnatcher said:
Nice have fun.

The 1 series was another option I was looking at.. but I'd be mad if I didn't get a 135i and only got a 128i. The price was a bit out of reach so it made my decision a bit easier.. Plus I love the personality of the MINI.

Yea budgeting can limit. Thankfully the one we have isn't too limtied - one of the reasons it is taking us over two months so far to decide.

We have looked at

Golf 2.0T (Gas and TDI)
Golf Plus (TDI)
A3 (2.0T Gas or TDI w/ AWD)
Some mercedes, but upon walking in we found them all very ugly - both inside and out.
Some ford car lol don't remember which.

Going to check out the 1 series especially the 2.0 hatchback and the cooper. I have a feeling we prob get the cooper though.

Aguirre

TurtleSnatcher said:
Nice have fun.

never had a bmw, but heard many horror stories. my question: is the running costs high than that of a toyota?

ascii42

Sarcasm said:
Ah okay but Ford did help them stay afloat. Use to be a UK car right?
Actually, selling them helped keep Ford afloat.

Yeah, Jaguar, Land Rover, and Bentley all used to be British. Well, they still are, they are just owned by other companies. Sort of like how most people consider Chrysler to be American, despite being owned by Daimler for a while, and now they are being taken over by Fiat.

So I finally picked up my Evo IX on Friday.

Pics:

P1010161.jpg

P1010165.jpg

P1010164.jpg

I fucking love it.

Just need to put some stickier rubber on it.

YuriLowell said:
So I finally picked up my Evo IX on Friday.

Pics:

P1010161.jpg

P1010165.jpg

P1010164.jpg

I fucking love it.

Just need to put some stickier rubber on it.

Gorgeous. It's an MR too! Fuck yeah.

Get some Hankook V12's. Really nice for daily driving and all-around hoonery. 255/40 or bust. :)

YuriLowell said:
Will 255's fit on the stock BBS rims?

It's a 17x8 rim, so yes, 255/40 will fit fine without any speedo errors. If you're going to track, that's a good size for stock rims.

If you want to err on the safe side (since tires do run wider/narrower depending on make/model), go for 245/40/17. I'd recommend that.

Also, make sure to change the plates on your rear diff, they're installed incorrectly on the USDM Evo 9 and you can get much better handling by fixing them.

http://forums.evolutionm.net/9580691-post24.html for more info.

Jamesfrom818 said:
I love the Evo IX. I would get it in a heartbeat over the X.

Drive both and you'll realize how hard of a choice that is. They both have equal amounts of strengths and weaknesses in comparison to each other.

I think one of the big reasons I'd go 9-MR over Evo X is because it actually has a 6 speed. The Evo X only has a 6 speed in the fuckin' DCT auto crap. WTF?

That being said, the Evo X has one of the best front-ends EVER. It looks fucking amazing, so ridiculously aggressive and sexy. Very reminiscent of the R34 GTR, but even more unashamedly mean-looking. The handling is also even nicer than the IX... just needs weight reduction.

R34
grey-r34-gtr-nur-ztune-kit.jpg

Evo 9, Evo X
evil3.jpg

The front end of the Evo X is pure sex.
Its the side profile i'm not a big fan.

I think the IX looks awesome from every angle.

Ill probably pickup some Star Specs as I have the V12's on my M3 and i'm not too happy with them.

Ovid

BoobPhysics101 said:
I got great prices on everything, just like every other car part I buy. Just for reference, I bought KW V3's for my S2000 which retail for $2300 for $1600 brand new. I never pay full price unless it's a custom boutique product.

I'm aware of the CAI and its minimal benefits, but the sound is amazing.

Yeah I am, I'll pm you my SN if you'd like or just give me yours. The guys on Acurazine are a bunch of trolls though, they try to make up so much ridiculous shit. There's a 4-5 page in the racing section where a bunch of those dorks try to jump on me because I posted up some kills where I utterly raped a G35 and 350z from a dig. What do you expect when I'm running tires that are one step below track slicks? God damn :lol:
You lucky bastard.

Post some pics of your ride? Do u have an A-SPEC bodykit?

YuriLowell said:
The front end of the Evo X is pure sex.
Its the side profile i'm not a big fan.

I think the IX looks awesome from every angle.

Ill probably pickup some Star Specs as I have the V12's on my M3 and i'm not too happy with them.

Agreed x100, the Evo 9 is a classic.

Star Specs are nice but Tire Rack price-jacked the hell out of them. V12's are really nice for daily but they're not raw enough if you just want pure performance. I'd also check out the Federal 595 RSR's (dirt cheap and GOBS of grip, ridiculous amounts really), Hankook RS3 (pretty much the highest grip non-slick you can buy today), or Nitto NT05's (I've run these and even though they're loud as fuck, they have awesome grip).

tarius1210 said:
You lucky bastard.

Post some pics of your ride? Do u have an A-SPEC bodykit?

If you ever need anything, just hit me up and I'll see if I can find a good price for you. :)

Ok, let me wash it and take some pics. I spent 15 hours the other week doing a full clay, compound cut, polish, and wax on the paint, basically restored it to a factory fresh level. All I've got is the A-Spec rear bumper. :\

But hey, it's a 6 speed! lol

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
JackEtc said:
So I came out of school today to this:

GTTJtl.jpg

Really? Really? Pretty pissed right now.

If someone did that to my car, I'd ask around everyone on campus, track down the asshole that did it, and shove those stickers down his mouth.

Wow.

JackEtc

AlphaSnake said:
If someone did that to my car, I'd ask around everyone on campus, track down the asshole that did it, and shove those stickers down his mouth.

Wow.
I even make a point to park in a less occupied part of the parking lot, where mostly staff park, so that nothing will happen to my car. I mean, maybe if I had a typical high-schooler car, something that didn't cost much and won't last long, I wouldn't be as pissed. But I'm furious.

Can't wait to see how my Dad'll react.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
JackEtc said:

GTTJtl.jpg

Don't worry. That will come off. Manually peel, get the scraps gently with a credit card edge, as much as you can, and the adhesive will come right off in a couple of gentle swipes with a (citrus?) solvent. Just make sure you check the paint's resistance to the solvent you choose - try doing an inch or so inside your door panel.

Stinkles

AlphaSnake said:
Two years of reliability? Have you seen Jaguar's reliability ratings recently? Apes Audi's.

2011029-1.jpg

Yeah. Number 3.

JD Power man. They report bullet proof reliability on Buicks because elderly people drive them one day a week for pancakes. It's a great figure, but like most Autogaffers, half of my belief in reliability is purely psychological. If Chrysler beat Honda for twenty years, I'd still present a bias. I grew up in the UK with Jags, and reliability was Fiat-level.

Enron

Banned
Aguirre said:
never had a bmw, but heard many horror stories. my question: is the running costs high than that of a toyota?

Regarding this - I always assumed the same. And when my best friend bought a 2006 328i a few years ago, he had about a million different things go wrong and that thing was always at the dealer - so that reinforced it. But as I was car shopping earlier this year I asked my coworkers that drove BMWs, and the overwhelming response was that they had not really had many issues at all.

AlphaSnake

OuterWorldVoice said:
JD Power methodology problems: http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2006/06/the-truth-about-jd-powers-iqs/

Those two institutions are a mess of confirmation bias and complete demographic failure. It's arguable that they are even better than nothing.

Well that article is about Initial Quality, which is an awful measure of reliability. The chart I posted covers a 3 year period...which also doesn't say much, to be honest. Problems in cars don't begin to show up after about 5 years.

ascii42

AlphaSnake said:
Well that article is about Initial Quality, which is an awful measure of reliability. The chart I posted covers a 3 year period...which also doesn't say much, to be honest. Problems in cars don't begin to show up after about 5 years.
Not too mention, not all problems are created equal.

Can't understand how to work the new-fangled touch panel dash? That's a problem.
Engine explodes? That's a problem.

Enron said:
Regarding this - I always assumed the same. And when my best friend bought a 2006 328i a few years ago, he had about a million different things go wrong and that thing was always at the dealer - so that reinforced it. But as I was car shopping earlier this year I asked my coworkers that drove BMWs, and the overwhelming response was that they had not really had many issues at all.

Not going to lie, a BMW's maintenance usually costs at least 5-7x more than a Toyota, and is more frequent.

reilo said:

This. Googone Automotive is awesome.

Stinkles

ascii42 said:
Not too mention, not all problems are created equal.

Can't understand how to work the new-fangled touch panel dash? That's a problem.
Engine explodes? That's a problem.

Yeah. Old people and "radio buttons" make up about half of both origanizations' complaints.

Zyzyxxz

OuterWorldVoice said:
Yeah. Old people and "radio buttons" make up about half of both origanizations' complaints.

Cup holders not big enough is a valid complaint for initial quality survey from JD.

ascii42

Zyzyxxz said:
Cup holders not big enough is a valid complaint for initial quality survey from JD.
Well, it is a valid complaint. Why the hell are the cup holders different sizes in my Malibu? Sorry passenger, you have to get a small drink at the drive through. Only the driver can get a medium, Chevy's orders.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
2011-4-23_ScionFRSWeb-Large.jpg

just felt like posting this car again.

so sexy.

if it ends up looking like this...
scion_fr-s.jpg

im taking names and asking questions later.

OuterWorldVoice said:
Don't worry. That will come off. Manually peel, get the scraps gently with a credit card edge, as much as you can, and the adhesive will come right off in a couple of gentle swipes with a (citrus?) solvent. Just make sure you check the paint's resistance to the solvent you choose - try doing an inch or so inside your door panel.

Man, what?

Just use a hair dryer and gently heat the glue. No need for scratching up the coat with a credit card.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
So I can pick up a 2005 Acura TL 5SPD AT with 88K miles on it for $8,500 as a first car.

Do it gaf? Color is abyss blue pearl, gotta talk to the current owner and see what's up with the low price.

ascii42

JackEtc said:

GTTJtl.jpg

Reminds my senior year of high school. I drove a Saturn SL2 at that point, but would occasionally drive my dad's Geo Metro. He put these plastic fake spinners on them as a bit of a joke, so I guess when he wanted to look professional he would drive my car instead. Anyway, shortly after George W. Bush won his second term, my younger sister wanted to show her support by putting a bumper sticker on my car. I refused, since I didn't want anything to do with politics, heck, I voted for Badnarik. So she put it on the Geo. One day, after driving it to school, I notice somebody had written: "The Revolution Is Coming, Beware!" on the sticker. I'm not sure what kind of revolution they were talking about, some sort of uprising of people who write cryptic messages on other people's bumper stickers? Or perhaps that person had inside knowledge of Nintendo's upcoming video game system and was concerned about motion control and its impact on gaming. I don't know, but it always amused me. Especially since it was Bush sticker on a freaking Geo Metro instead of the stereotypical truck or SUV.

Man, everything about that story sounds ridiculous.

Slayer-33 said:
So I can pick up a 2005 Acura TL 5SPD AT with 88K miles on it for $8,500 as a first car.

Do it gaf? Color is abyss blue pearl, gotta talk to the current owner and see what's up with the low price.

Eh... those 5 spd auto trannies go out and you gotta do work to the tranny to keep it from doing so. If it was a 6 speed, I'd say hell yes. The autos though are hit or miss.

Also, that seems too cheap for a clean title...

BoobPhysics101 said:
Agreed x100, the Evo 9 is a classic.

Star Specs are nice but Tire Rack price-jacked the hell out of them. V12's are really nice for daily but they're not raw enough if you just want pure performance. I'd also check out the Federal 595 RSR's (dirt cheap and GOBS of grip, ridiculous amounts really), Hankook RS3 (pretty much the highest grip non-slick you can buy today), or Nitto NT05's (I've run these and even though they're loud as fuck, they have awesome grip).

If you ever need anything, just hit me up and I'll see if I can find a good price for you. :)

Ok, let me wash it and take some pics. I spent 15 hours the other week doing a full clay, compound cut, polish, and wax on the paint, basically restored it to a factory fresh level. All I've got is the A-Spec rear bumper. :\

But hey, it's a 6 speed! lol

Tire rack has been jacking rs3 prices. They are only like 13 bucks a tire cheaper now.
The only thing is I rode in a friends WRX with RS3's in the rain and jebus there is not alot of grip in the wet.

YuriLowell said:
Tire rack has been jacking rs3 prices. They are only like 13 bucks a tire cheaper now.
The only thing is I rode in a friends WRX with RS3's in the rain and jebus there is not alot of grip in the wet.

RS3's are not meant for wet driving. AT ALL. If you get a lot of rain where you live, do not buy them. They are strictly for dry driving.

TireRack sucks now, I remember when they actually had decent pricing. I'd go with Star Specs over RS3's, they're better for overall driving.

ascii42

reilo said:
So the next-gen 3-series is going to be unveiled on Friday.
Prediction: it'll look like a smaller version of the 5 series.

I'm not much of a German car person, but I am still interested in seeing it. Mostly because I harbor a bit of desire for the 335d.

AlphaSnake

BoobPhysics101 said:
RS3's are not meant for wet driving. AT ALL. If you get a lot of rain where you live, do not buy them. They are strictly for dry driving.

TireRack sucks now, I remember when they actually had decent pricing. I'd go with Star Specs over RS3's, they're better for overall driving.

DiscountTire shits on everyone these days.

So guys, what's the consensus on rust proofing your car.

I'm not sure I want to do it on my 335d and deal with all of the dripping and streaking.

Thoughts about rust proofing in general?

I got my MINI Coupe S today.

Apparently I'm one of the first in Dallas. I love it! The car launched October 1st.

I was really worried about the Black Star Wheels initially because they are more gunmetal but they look good with the trim. Rides great and I'm totally in love :D

307205_10150400535160399_560865398_10332804_1317920207_n.jpg

TurtleSnatcher said:

Apparently I'm one of the first in Dallas. I love it! The car launched October 1st.

I was really worried about the Black Star Wheels initially because they are more gunmetal but they look good with the trim. Rides great and I'm totally in love :D

307205_10150400535160399_560865398_10332804_1317920207_n.jpg
How dare you back into that parking spot!

TylerD

TurtleSnatcher said:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.ne...535160399_560865398_10332804_1317920207_n.jpg

Very nice Mini Couper :)

If you don't mind me asking, what was the OTD price? You can PM me the answer if you want.

Thanks - Shot you a PM

I love it :). Loving this MINI Connected system. Apparently MOG will work for it starting mid October so I will be able to have on demand music going like Spotify :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom