• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Automotive Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
BoobPhysics101 said:
You want a slick daily, buy a 335d, Juicebox that shit to 700+ lb-ft of torque, and enjoy the feeling of having an absolute torque monster sleeper-beast at your command. That's a way more boss, sleeper car than a fucking E class lol.
Dude, I just but this car but doing that would surely lead to tranny issues down the road.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
AlphaSnake said:
http://images.caricos.com/m/mercedes-benz/2012_mercedes-benz_c-class_coupe/images/1280x960/2012_mercedes-benz_c-class_coupe_73_1280x960.jpg[/IMG

I'm sorry, but that interior is ghastly. So many weird shapes, lines, and squares all over the place, pointless dials, endless buttons, etc.[/QUOTE]
Yikes. Reminds of the 2000 C-Class interior, which I was not a fan of, and yeah, I've never sat in the new ones, but I can feel the plastic from that picture alone. What a shame.

Culex

Banned
So i'm driving Sunday to PA to look at my dream Saab, and if everything looks good with it (the dealer is going to open the place just for me, even though he's closed on Sundays) i'm going to buy it!

Wish me luck!

Epic Tales of Penis said:
Dude, I just but this car but doing that would surely lead to tranny issues down the road.

335d tranny is rated for roughly 540 lb-ft of torque. Stock is 420~ lb-ft. So you've got some room to go up. If you use a JBD @ 100% you'll be very close to the tranny's rated torque limit.

Alucrid

Banned
Culex said:
So i'm driving Sunday to PA to look at my dream Saab, and if everything looks good with it (the dealer is going to open the place just for me, even though he's closed on Sundays) i'm going to buy it!

Wish me luck!

Uh. PA has a blue law where you can't sell cars on sunday. no lies.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
reilo said:
Yikes. Reminds of the 2000 C-Class interior, which I was not a fan of, and yeah, I've never sat in the new ones, but I can feel the plastic from that picture alone. What a shame.

We agree on something I dislike?

The end is nigh!

<3

BoobPhysics101 said:
335d tranny is rated for roughly 540 lb-ft of torque. Stock is 420~ lb-ft. So you've got some room to go up. If you use a JBD @ 100% you'll be very close to the tranny's rated torque limit.
No way I'm getting the JBD before our Toronto winter hits. :lol

How the hell are guys getting 700+ lbs of torque on their 335ds?

Culex

Banned
DonasaurusRex said:
oh its more than just car purchases that will seem off to non blue state folks .

I live in CT, where the only real blue law left is no alcohol on sunday, but not being able to purchase a car? REALLY?

He was being hyperbolic.

but you can get around 400 torque with the simple PnP add-ons.

h1nch

Ugh, still no word on where my car is. It was supposed to leave BMW VDC on the 5th, and arrive tomorrow but according to my SA there's no confirmation that it actually left.

Zyzyxxz

Dreams-Visions said:
also a bit lost in this discussion: what does Car-GAF think of the Tesla Model S? They demo'd it for the pre-orders who could make it out to Cali this week and that 17" touchscreen looks like the future to me due to all the design flexibility it brings and weight saved.

its still an early adopters car despite it being a 2nd gen electric Tesla but if I was making $80K a year I might consider it. The appeal of not having to pay for gas is nice especially when it comes in a "luxury" car package.

Though if money were not an issue it would be all about the Fisker Karma.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
AlphaSnake said:
We agree on something I dislike?

The end is nigh!

<3
For a $42,000 car? My Mazdaspeed6 has a nicer looking interior. That's no bueno.

BoobPhysics101 said:
Is this some alternate reality where the 335 HPFP is capable of pumping enough fuel?

GuessWho

My uncle just got this, it is a fucking BEAUTY!! the interior is RIDICULOUS. I would recommend this over mercs and bmw's. Much more unique.
Jaguar-XJ_2012_800x600_wallpaper_01.jpg

2010-jaguar-xj-22_1035.jpg

golem

h1nch said:
Ugh, still no word on where my car is. It was supposed to leave BMW VDC on the 5th, and arrive tomorrow but according to my SA there's no confirmation that it actually left.
Haha yeah waiting for VDC is the worst..

Dreams-Visions said:
He was being hyperbolic.

but you can get around 400 torque with the simple PnP add-ons.

335d already has 370-380+ wtq bone stock...

attachment.php

That's a 335d dyno of stock vs JuiceBoxDiesel STOCK settings, there's still room to crank the tune up for an extra 30-40 whp and even more torque. Stock 335d usually has 245 whp, at 100% on JBD you'll get around 310-320 whp with 120+~ lbft more torque.

P.S. In Europe there's a few 335d's running around with 700+ lb-ft of torque. It's achievable with bolt-ons, tune, aftercooler, etc. Otherwise you'll have an easy 450-530 lb-ft of torque with just JBD.

For anyone that gets a kick out of playing with diffs, you can swap a 3.46 LSD equipped 335i auto diff into a 335d (which has a 2.9 final drive)... now that'd be quite the beast if you had the right tires on to grab traction.

reilo said:
Is this some alternate reality where the 335 HPFP is capable of pumping enough fuel?

1. 335d's HPFP handles the extra output just fine and
2. 335d HPFP don't fail unlike 335i's
3. Technically it's an injection pump, not a fuel pump, and they supposedly push about 10x the pressure of the fuel pump in a 335i

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
GAF's nerdlings looking into buying a new Cadillac may want to wait for what's coming at the LA Auto Show, BTW (not a new car, but cool nevertheless).

BoobPhysics101 said:
335d already has 370-380+ wtq bone stock...

attachment.php

That's a 335d dyno of stock vs JuiceBoxDiesel STOCK settings, there's still room to crank the tune up for an extra 30-40 whp and even more torque. Stock 335d usually has 245 whp, at 100% on JBD you'll get around 310-320 whp with 120+~ lbft more torque.

P.S. In Europe there's a few 335d's running around with 700+ lb-ft of torque. It's achievable with bolt-ons, tune, aftercooler, etc. Otherwise you'll have an easy 450-530 lb-ft of torque with just JBD.

For anyone that gets a kick out of playing with diffs, you can swap a 3.46 LSD equipped 335i auto diff into a 335d (which has a 2.9 final drive)... now that'd be quite the beast if you had the right tires on to grab traction.

3. Technically it's an injection pump, not a fuel pump, and they supposedly push about 10x the pressure of the fuel pump in a 335i
That's just insane man. Do you have any videos or links to the 700+ torque 335ds?

ascii42

Funky Papa said:
GAF's nerdlings looking into buying a new Cadillac may want to wait for what's coming at the LA Auto Show, BTW (not a new car, but cool nevertheless).
I hope it's better than what they showed last year
qzokgn.jpg

nitewulf

Dreams-Visions said:
also a bit lost in this discussion: what does Car-GAF think of the Tesla Model S? They demo'd it for the pre-orders who could make it out to Cali this week and that 17" touchscreen looks like the future to me due to all the design flexibility it brings and weight saved.
i actually did a presentation on the Model S for my MBA - marketing management course, way back in fall 09. it looked great then, but what is up with that grill (or lack thereof)? i don't remember the front looking this ugly before. otherwise, it looks nice.

one of my bosses has like the 300th or 400th Tesla S on preorder and flew out last week.

He said it was pretty freaking awesome. Can't wait to ride in one :)

AlphaSnake

GuessWho said:
My uncle just got this, it is a fucking BEAUTY!! the interior is RIDICULOUS. I would recommend this over mercs and bmw's. Much more unique.

Agreed. Everything I know about this car is that it drives better than the BMW, Benz, Lexus, etc. It's only drawback is that it has slightly less rear room than the competition - which is still a ton of room, regardless, so it's not much of a drawback for me. I also agree it has the best interior of any of its rivals, by a country mile. And because its standard motor is naturally aspirated, it should be more reliable mechanically.

ascii42 said:
Which makes me wonder how much the thing is going to cost. The CTS-V starts at $63k. The Camaro isn't anywhere near as nice, so it obviously has to be a good deal cheaper. The Challenger SRT-8 is $45k, but the ZL1 would completely smash it. But anything over $50k sounds like way too much for a Camaro.
I peg it at $54k.

Want a car that can beat SUPERCARS 2x-10x its price WITHOUT mods? A car that can run with the stars that still retains its 4 year/50,000 miles warranty?

Step right the fuck up.

BoobPhysics101 said:
You serious? The CTS-V looks great. Aggressive yet classy. I had one behind me the other day and I couldn't stop staring at it. Looks so much nicer than a stock CTS.
Have you actually driven one? The vision constriction is...note-worthy.

I'd definitely recommend you test-drive one. It's a show-stopper for many people (this is coming from the salesman who I was talking to on the lot).

GuessWho said:

http://photos.leftlanenews.com/photos/cars/jaguar/big-images/2010-jaguar-xj-22_1035.jpg[/IG][/QUOTE]
another Jag fan. nice.

[QUOTE=BoobPhysics101]335d already has 370-380+ wtq bone stock...

[img]http://forums.n54tech.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=8218&stc=1&d=1316021720

sweet mercy.

might have to test drive a 335d...

Ovid

BoobPhysics101 said:
Not really. Sounds like you want a new car for the sake of having a different, new commuter.

FYI, I picked up an '05 Acura TL 6-speed as a daily driver for $10k a couple of months ago. Gets about 33-35 mpg on the highway, super comfy, awesome handling/straightline speed, reliable, looks great, utterly destroys a Civic/Fit in every single category possible (except for space, Fit is godly in that regard). I spent about $1k in bolt-ons just for shits and giggles and picked up an extra 35whp, so it's got about 260~ whp (300~ bhp). Incredibly fun + economical commuter.

For $5k you can get a nice Civic/Altima/etc. But really, you should just put the $1k into your '02 Accord and save yourself the money.
No way you're getting 35whp with $1000 in bolt-ons...that's bullshit. I know alot about the TL and that's just not possible. What add-ons do u have?

I don't wanna hear u say anything about CAI because it doesnt add anything to the TL.

ascii42 said:
Yeah, if I was going to buy a 3 series, my first choice would be the 335d. Dat torque...
I had no idea.

I maintain that I'm still tired of the 3-series...especially down here in SoFla...and especially considering the model change-over coming next year.

But no car I'm looking at would be able to beat the zip and get-up-and-go that a 335i or d would provide. I'm just so apathetic to the 3 right now. idk.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
GuessWho said:

I like that it's quirky and individual, but I get a similar vibe and a lot more confidence from the Audi A7. Looks lovely though and if they get two years of reliability and happy consumers out of that XJ, then I might be a convert.

Dreams-Visions said:
I had no idea.

I maintain that I'm still tired of the 3-series...especially down here in SoFla...and especially considering the model change-over coming next year.

But no car I'm looking at would be able to beat the zip and get-up-and-go that a 335i or d would provide. I'm just so apathetic to the 3 right now. idk.
I see where you're coming from if you've been a BMW fan or follower of their stuff. I've never been and bought the 335d about a month and a half ago.

I've been around diesels my entire life and they've come a long way.

Totally love it.

Dreams-Visions said:
Have you actually driven one? The vision constriction is...note-worthy.

I'd definitely recommend you test-drive one. It's a show-stopper for many people (this is coming from the salesman who I was talking to on the lot).

another Jag fan. nice.

sweet mercy.

might have to test drive a 335d...

I've only driven the 1st gen CTS-V and a CTS. They're not bad imo, but then again I'm willing to overlook goofy stuff like that for true performance.

tarius1210 said:
No way you're getting 35whp with $1000 in bolt-ons...that's bullshit. I know alot about the TL and that's just not possible. What add-ons do u have?

I don't wanna hear u say anything about CAI because it doesnt add anything to the TL.

I have high flow pre-cats, 3" custom exhaust, ATLP J-pipe, AEM V2 CAI, 3rd cat delete.

That's just insane man. Do you have any videos or links to the 700+ torque 335ds?

I'll try to find them for you, it was a couple of years ago so I'd have to dig around and see if those guys even have the cars still.

Ovid

Again, the CAI doesn't add any HP to the TL.

With those add-ons 30-35hp is possible, but I still don't know how you got all of that for less than a grand. The J-pipe alone is $400.

Are u on Acurazine?

tarius1210 said:
Again, the CAI doesn't add any HP to the TL.

With those add-ons 30-35hp is possible, but I still don't know how you got all of that for less than a grand. The J-pipe alone is $400.

Are u on Acurazine?

I got great prices on everything, just like every other car part I buy. Just for reference, I bought KW V3's for my S2000 which retail for $2300 for $1600 brand new. I never pay full price unless it's a custom boutique product.

I'm aware of the CAI and its minimal benefits, but the sound is amazing.

Yeah I am, I'll pm you my SN if you'd like or just give me yours. The guys on Acurazine are a bunch of trolls though, they try to make up so much ridiculous shit. There's a 4-5 page in the racing section where a bunch of those dorks try to jump on me because I posted up some kills where I utterly raped a G35 and 350z from a dig. What do you expect when I'm running tires that are one step below track slicks? God damn :lol:

TylerD

On my way to work yesterday there was an idiot that had pulled across two lanes of traffic trying to pull a u-turn the other way. He was blocking a guy in a brand new S5 who was obviously pissed because when he finally got free he absolutely floored it burning rubber and unleashing that V8. It sounded muy impressive.

I'm definitely jelly of all the new car talk around here but I still enjoy reading the discussion. I could easily enough afford a 370z touring or BMW 3 series but where I am right now my 03 Accord V6 is just fine, super reliable, and paid off. Lots of extra money to the student loans and going on trips and all that. I sure miss having a fun car though.

Ford is building a new 5.8L V8 that is going to go in its ZL1 fighter. Probably be around 600 hp.

AlphaSnake

OuterWorldVoice said:
I like that it's quirky and individual, but I get a similar vibe and a lot more confidence from the Audi A7. Looks lovely though and if they get two years of reliability and happy consumers out of that XJ, then I might be a convert.

Two years of reliability? Have you seen Jaguar's reliability ratings recently? Apes Audi's.

2011029-1.jpg

Yeah. Number 3.

Hey Alpha, last night I was rollin through LA traffic and saw a black 370z just sitting in the long lines... god it looked so good. Those rear lights/rear shape are just SO aggressive. I cannot fathom why anyone thinks the 350z looks better.

370z is literally 10x more appealing to me. <3

Sarcasm

Oh, picking up the A8 today =D

Also reliability is really individual basis isn't it? I had a 2003 VW passat for years all I did was change the oil. I never had a broken water pump, bad electrical, timing belt breaking or any of those horror stories I hear. I had a BMW that thing was a pit of disaster.

Also interesting thing about Jag, isn't it owned (perhaps partially) by Ford?

ascii42

Sarcasm said:
Oh, picking up the A8 today =D

Also reliability is really individual basis isn't it? I had a 2003 VW passat for years all I did was change the oil. I never had a broken water pump, bad electrical, timing belt breaking or any of those horror stories I hear. I had a BMW that thing was a pit of disaster.

Also interesting thing about Jag, isn't it owned (perhaps partially) by Ford?
Ford owned Jaguar for a while, but sold them to Tata Motors in 2008 along with Land Rover.

Pterion

So glad to hear about the camaro ZL1. When American cars lose the ugly interior/exterior and retro look, I will seriously consider them.

The R56 timing belt issues for MINI caused their JD rating to take a nose dive as of late. Thankfully that stuff has been worked out on the newer models..

But between 2007-2009.. it was hell :p

Got a call from the sales manager.. my car comes in on Monday.. hoping to pick it up then but if it is to late then it will be Tuesday.

Sarcasm

TurtleSnatcher said:
The R56 timing belt issues for MINI caused their JD rating to take a nose dive as of late. Thankfully that stuff has been worked out on the newer models..

But between 2007-2009.. it was hell :p

Got a call from the sales manager.. my car comes in on Monday.. hoping to pick it up then but if it is to late then it will be Tuesday.

Gonna also be looking at Mini today =D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom