• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Automotive Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
c518027a.jpg

Why is that color not available on Audi's website? :(

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
reilo said:
c518027a.jpg

Why is that color not available on Audi's website? :(

Sprint Blue is gone for all 2012 models, including S5. No fucking clue why. It was the best and rarest color.

reilo

I really don't like the Midnight Blue, and that's the only blue they offer, too. I want a Monaco or Interlagos Blue that BMW offers. Hell, give me a Lapis Blue that I had on my Mazda6 ffs.

h1nch

Nice car TurtleSnatcher! Love the color.

My car *finally* arrived at the dealer yesterday afternoon. For some ungodly reason it spent almost 2 weeks at the VDC before leaving this past Monday. I'm driving up to Austin tomorrow to finally pick her up. Meanwhile, my SA sent me some photos to tide me over until then:

newbmw1-20111013-185837.jpg

After Tint
newbmw2-20111013-190047.jpg

Tomorrow can't get here fast enough

EDIT: Resized so its not as annoying.

Smokey

I need a 101 guide to tuning. Had the 335 for 6 months now. Bout dat time to put something on it. First thing I think I want to do is throw an nice exhaust on it. Who should I be looking at for these?

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
TurtleSnatcher said:
I got my MINI Coupe S today.

Apparently I'm one of the first in Dallas. I love it! The car launched October 1st.

I was really worried about the Black Star Wheels initially because they are more gunmetal but they look good with the trim. Rides great and I'm totally in love :D

307205_10150400535160399_560865398_10332804_1317920207_n.jpg

I saw one of these in Seattle this morning. It looks cool, but it never stops looking like a hard top convertible a quarter of the way through transformation.

h1nch

Smokey said:
I need a 101 guide to tuning. Had the 335 for 6 months now. Bout dat time to put something on it. First thing I think I want to do is throw an nice exhaust on it. Who should I be looking at for these?

BMW makes a performance exhaust I believe. You might want to look at that.

I actually hate 3rd party crap on my car so I try to stick with the brand whenever possible. ECU tunes are different story. I have the BMW tune but apparently you can stack a Dinan tune on top of it. I may be looking to do that sometime down the road.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Fallout-NL said:
Man, what?

Just use a hair dryer and gently heat the glue. No need for scratching up the coat with a credit card.

What? You don't know what kind of glue is on the sticker. heating it might make it worse. Secondly, I am not talking about scraping, I am talking about using the edge of the credit card to push strat bumps of papaer and glue til' they "rumple" and can be peeled or picked off.

AlphaSnake

Smokey said:

Please don't. Exhausts are an absolute waste of money on this car. I don't know of a single one that has gained more than 7WHP and cost less than $1300. What a colossal waste.

If you want an exhaust mod, get downpipes - they'll run you about $300-400. If you want a solid and conservative, though reliable tune, get either the JB2 or JB+ -- both net great power for either $99 or $250. The JB+ has some flexibility in options, the JB2 is a simple boost increase of about 1.5-2PSI.

A JB4 nets tons of power, but is a guaranteed way to blow something up in a very quick time span. Be smart about modding this car, because if you ever take it in to service, they inspect these cars with fine pick combs for evidence of mods. Even downpipes I don't suggest, because that requires removing the OEM pre-cats.

But yeah, get one of the lower end JB tunes from Burger and you'll be set. 35WHP and 65WTQ is nothing to sniff at for $100.

AlphaSnake said:
Please don't. Exhausts are an absolute waste of money on this car. I don't know of a single one that has gained more than 7WHP and cost less than $1300. What a colossal waste.

If you want an exhaust mod, get downpipes - they'll run you about $300-400. If you want a solid and conservative, though reliable tune, get either the JB2 or JB+ -- both net great power for either $99 or $250. The JB+ has some flexibility in options, the JB2 is a simple boost increase of about 1.5-2PSI.

A JB4 nets tons of power, but is a guaranteed way to blow something up in a very quick time span. Be smart about modding this car, because if you ever take it in to service, they inspect these cars with fine pick combs for evidence of mods. Even downpipes I don't suggest, because that requires removing the OEM pre-cats.

But yeah, get one of the lower end JB tunes from Burger and you'll be set. 35WHP and 65WTQ is nothing to sniff at for $100.

This, so much this. Everything I would've said. <3

AlphaSnake

Zyzyxxz said:
Just fucking reveal that shit already, they have been teasing us for over 2 years now!

Those shots practically reveal the whole car. We finally see the actual headlight design and shape, as well as the taillights. The side-skirts are pretty boring, though...but the rear diffuser on the bottom looks nice. With the right offset, some nice wheels, and a drop this car should look really nice.

Now all is left to see is the interior.

reilo said:
http://o.aolcdn.com/dims-global/dims3/GLOB/resize/620x430/quality/85/http://www.blogcdn.com/www.autoblog.com/media/2011/10/01-scion-fr-s-racer-spy-shots.jpg[IMG]

[IMG]http://o.aolcdn.com/dims-global/dims3/GLOB/resize/620x430/quality/85/http://www.blogcdn.com/www.autoblog.com/media/2011/10/04-scion-fr-s-racer-spy-shots.jpg[IMG]

I have a feeling I won't like the look of this car.[/QUOTE]

Is this the FR 'yota/subie? When the hell is this gonna be released?

ascii42

the_log_ride said:
Is this the FR 'yota/subie? When the hell is this gonna be released?
It's probably never going to be released, they'll just keep showing off a new version of the concept every year.

Has anyone heard anything about the Scion FR-S? Release ? Price?

My 370 lease ends Sept. 2012. I wonder if I can go from 333 hp to 200. My brother says I wont be able to, and that I should get a Mustang GT.

What says GAF?

BMW 328-------(can't afford 335)
Mustang GT------(I have a freind that might be able to get me the Ford family discount)
Scion FR-S (uncle works at Toyota)

?

AlphaSnake

Liquidsnake said:

My 370 lease ends Sept. 2012. I wonder if I can go from 333 hp to 200. My brother says I wont be able to, and that I should get a Mustang GT.

What says GAF?

Mustang GT------(I have a freind that might be able to get me the Ford family discount)

?

I know someone who sold his 370Z...to lease a 328xi Coupe. He regrets every second of it.

Get a G37 or something - they lease a lot better than a Z does.

Smokey

AlphaSnake said:

Thanks, I will look into these.

Warranty is really the only thing stopping me. I'm covered 2014/100k :(
or :p depending on how you look at it

AlphaSnake

Smokey said:
Thanks, I will look into these.

Warranty is really the only thing stopping me. I'm covered 2014/100k :(
or :p depending on how you look at it

JB+ can be removed in about 10 minutes by yourself. Check out YouTube vids.

Liquidsnake said:

What says GAF?

?

328i is a shitty car.

Mustang GT 5.0 is sweet, blows away the 370z in everything except styling.

FR-S won't be good until the tuning potential is revealed.

h1nch

BoobPhysics101 said:
328i is a shitty car.

No it isn't. For a sporty sedan its got fantastic handling, braking, steering/driving feel and decent pickup. It obviously doesn't compare to a 335i, or other brand equivalents, but for an entry level sports sedan its still a fantastic car, and easily the most reliable car in BMW's stable.

Both the Mustang and 370z have pretty awful styling IMO (350z was a better looking car), but I understand thats subjective. If you put a gun to my head I'd take the Mustang for the back seat and the fact that Ford has really done a lot to improve the shitbox that the mustang was the past 5 years or so.

h1nch said:
No it isn't. For a sporty sedan its got fantastic handling, braking, steering/driving feel and decent pickup. It obviously doesn't compare to a 335i, or other brand equivalents, but for an entry level sports sedan its still a fantastic car, and easily the most reliable car in BMW's stable.

Both the Mustang and 370z have pretty awful styling IMO (350z was a better looking car), but I understand thats subjective. If you put a gun to my head I'd take the Mustang for the back seat and the fact that Ford has really done a lot to improve the shitbox that the mustang was the past 5 years or so.

35k starting for a a 328i is a joke, especially coming from a 370z. Something like a Genesis V6 sedan costs less and offers more standard features, far more powerful with similar fuel economy, better reliability, etc. Hell, you can get a CPO 335i for the cost of a new 328i. Any way you cut it, getting the lowest end 3 series is a disappointment.

And I gotta disagree, 230 bhp in a 3400 lb sedan is pretty weak sauce in today's world.

cajunator

Banned
Why exactly are Ford UAW employees wanting to strike? Ford is offering them better incentives than GM or Chrysler. I wish they would just fire all those asshole deadbeats and move the factories south. All of them.

reilo

I just ordered $85 worth of parts that needed fixing on my car.

The skirt on my bumper (or rather, beneath my bumper) has been scraped so badly over the years that it's starting to literally fall off. Also, my right side mirror cover got hit with a rock chip from a big giant truck that was carrying construction debris (why those fucking things aren't covered in some way, I don't know), so that needs replacing, too. A little bit of touch up paint here and there, and my car should be looking great again.

AlphaSnake

BoobPhysics101 said:
328i is a shitty car.

Mustang doesn't blow it away in interior aesthetics, interior quality, driving feel, road feel, or handling in general, really. The 5.0 is a fast car. But at the end of the day it's still built around some pretty archaic design elements.

I simply refuse to ever own a sports car with a live rear axle. This isn't the 1960s. And this isn't a $15K Nissan Sentra. If Hyundai and Chevy can design their coupes with IRS and price them against the Mustang, Ford has no excuses left anymore.

reilo

AlphaSnake said:
Mustang doesn't blow it away in interior aesthetics, interior quality, driving feel, road feel, or handling in general, really. The 5.0 is a fast car. But at the end of the day it's still built around some pretty archaic design elements.

I simply refuse to ever own a sports car with a live rear axle. This isn't the 1960s. And this isn't a $15K Nissan Sentra. If Hyundai and Chevy can design their coupes with IRS and price them against the Mustang, Ford has no excuses left anymore.
It still doesn't have a IRS? LOL

reilo

Jamesfrom818 said:
You make it sound like thats news.
I remember it being news with the retro-design back in 2005, but I thought they went with a IRS with the 2009 model. I had no idea.

TylerD

Don't like the side profile that much but the front is looking hawt. The 328i is going to have a 2.0 L turbo 4 cylinder with 240 hp and 260 lb ft tq. 0-60 est 5.7 s and electronically limited to 130 mph.

edit: After second look, I'll withhold judgement until after some clean photos surface. I bet it will look much better in person.

reilo

The next M3/M4 should look mean as fuck, damn.

Despite being bigger, the new 3 Series is also 88 pounds lighter than its predecessor.
Awesome!
BMW says the 335i can now achieve an estimated 32.6 mpg, though, again, official EPA numbers aren't yet available.
On gasoline? Holy fuck balls.

ascii42

Not huge on the front end, but I don't entire dislike it either. Profile is fine apart from the flat front end. The interior is kind of cool.

reilo

Halvie said:
What makes you think it is going to be the same hpfp?
I haven't heard anything about them putting in a new HPFP, then again it might be a stealth fix that they won't advertise for obvious reasons.

Halvie

Banned
reilo said:
I haven't heard anything about them putting in a new HPFP, then again it might be a stealth fix that they won't advertise for obvious reasons.

I guess if they use the same one people modding won't have to worry about lack of fuel coming from the pump at least :)

Pretty shocked an aftermarket solution hasn't come out yet...would imagine there would be plenty of buyers.

And even though we will never get it

003.jpg

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthre...le-Proof-of-an-Upcoming-Audi-RS-1-We-Think-So.

Car would be fucking insane with that engine. ~2,500 lbs with an easily achievable 500-600whp...urgh

AlphaSnake

YuriLowell said:
In all honesty an IRS is only needed for comfort.

The boss 409 has a live axle and its just as fast as the m3.

Put both on a wet track and watch the fun unfold. The sensation that the rear wants to step out with every minor crevice on the road is a rather shitty one to feel in a sports car.

reilo

Halvie said:
I guess if they use the same one people modding won't have to worry about lack of fuel coming from the pump at least :)

Pretty shocked an aftermarket solution hasn't come out yet...would imagine there would be plenty of buyers.
Aftermarket HPFP, as far as I know, are pretty rare for a lot of cars. The only reason my car has an upgradable HPFP (and plenty of options) is because it shares with a ton of VW engines.

Halvie

Banned
reilo said:
Aftermarket HPFP, as far as I know, are pretty rare for a lot of cars. The only reason my car has an upgradable HPFP (and plenty of options) is because it shares with a ton of VW engines.

What car?

Seem a lot of the "tuner" cars have aftermarket options. VW FSI. Soon VW TSI. EVO/WRX/SRT4/Cobalt SS. Most people seem fairly shocked when I tell them there are no current aftermarket injectors/pump for my car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom