• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Automotive Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Angry Grimace said:
Opinions are opinions. They're only dumb if they're entirely based on hearsay. If you liked driving it, then that's fine, but I personally hated it.

I'm also pretty sure it's not all that functionally different driving a Miata vs. driving any other car.

I laughed. If you think a Miata's 'fun' comes from driving it through traffic or on a daily commute (which is what you're referring to), then you don't know at all...

The fun of a Miata comes from taking it on a windy road or a sweeping freeway on/off-ramp and enjoying the handling prowess it has while pushing it to the limit. It's a great, extremely well balanced car.

BoobPhysics101 said:
I laughed. If you think a Miata's 'fun' comes from driving it through traffic or on a daily commute (which is what you're referring to), then you don't know at all...

The fun of a Miata comes from taking it on a windy road or a sweeping freeway on/off-ramp and enjoying the handling prowess it has while pushing it to the limit. It's a great, extremely well balanced car.

I agree with you. Its the same that goes for MINIs or other really tight handling cars. They perform great on twisties :)

And LOL @ Solara.. One of the most hideous cars ever.

ascii42

http://www.leftlanenews.com/ford-focus-electric.html

Apparently the Ford Focus Electric will start at $39,995. I see three problems Ford is going to have with that: The Nissan Leaf is significantly cheaper but still gets about the same range, The Chevy Volt is the same price, but has a gas engine to go farther, and the regular Focus gets pretty darn good gas mileage for half the price. I don't see very many people justifying the cost.

ascii42 said:
http://www.leftlanenews.com/ford-focus-electric.html

Apparently the Ford Focus Electric will start at $39,995. I see three problems Ford is going to have with that: The Nissan Leaf is significantly cheaper but still gets about the same range, The Chevy Volt is the same price, but has a gas engine to go farther, and the regular Focus gets pretty darn good gas mileage for half the price. I don't see very many people justifying the cost.

It's amazing that Ford would make such a stupid mistake when they've been on a positive roll for years now. If they had priced it at $20-25k, it would've been a hit. Fail.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
BoobPhysics101 said:
It's amazing that Ford would make such a stupid mistake when they've been on a positive roll for years now. If they had priced it at $20-25k, it would've been a hit. Fail.

There's an $8K tax break on the car, though.

AlphaSnake said:

Yeah but it's $40k STARTING. That's at least $45k+ after taxes, options, etc if my estimation is somewhat accurate. So at least 37-38k after tax break.

Same fuck-up as the Volt, imo.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
AlphaSnake said:
$40k is too much. I said the same thing of the Volt and it's showing. It's priced well-beyond mass-market consumption, and the people that would benefit the most from a limited-range pure EV like this cannot afford it.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
JackEtc said:
KLZSDl.jpg
shanell-snl.jpg

reilo

Has anyone bought and restored an older car?

I'm thinking of maybe doing that instead of buying a new car... maybe 60s/70s Mustang/Chevelle/Camaro or 80s BMW... Or 90s M3, but those are still a bit pricey.

reilo said:
$40k is too much. I said the same thing of the Volt and it's showing. It's priced well-beyond mass-market consumption, and the people that would benefit the most from a limited-range pure EV like this cannot afford it.

The Leaf, Volt and this new Focus are not designed to be mass market. This is like beta-testing for cars. Enough people can afford and want a "next-generation" car to warrant bringing them to market, despite the laughable high sticker price. It's the same thing happens that in electronics, like when personal computers cost $10,000, or 3D tv's cost $5000.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
BoobPhysics101 said:

Really, I don't recall telling where I drove the car. But thanks for telling me what my own life experiences are because obviously I wasn't aware of them.

Have you ever even driven one or are you white knighting a car you've never even touched?

Angry Grimace said:
Really, I don't recall telling where I drove the car. But thanks for telling me what my own life experiences are because obviously I wasn't aware of them.

Have you ever even driven one or are you white knighting a car you've never even touched?
You said they weren't functionally different from any other car.

Sorry, but "Well the Miata really isn't any better to drive than a Corolla" is kind of a dumb thing to say.

Zyzyxxz

reilo said:

I'm thinking of maybe doing that instead of buying a new car... maybe 60s/70s Mustang/Chevelle/Camaro or 80s BMW... Or 90s M3, but those are still a bit pricey.

if you need it on a daily basis don't do it. It's only good as a secondary car and only if you have the space to store it to work on it since I assume you may have a job and can't spend too much time on it. Also I don't know your ability to work on cars but if you haven't considered the price of finding out of production spare parts you may want to look into that first.

Also if you are comfortable working on cars of course I would say do it, I love classics but from my own first hand experience I know and have seen projects drag on for long periods of time because you may get lazy, lose interests, prioritize time differently.

reilo said:

don't do it unless you have $$$. People want ridiculous money for an average E30 M3 with high mileage, hell even E30 318/325 go for stupid money. An S14 motor will cost you about $15K new or rebuilt. By the time you rebuild/restore an E30 M3 it'll put you near $25k+. I've already gone through an E30 325 and E34 M5. Older BMW M cars are always a pain in the ass to source/price stuff.

I think you're better off rebuilding a Mustang/Chevelle/Camaro. Endless amounts and choices on parts, accesibility, not overpriced.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
I don't know about classic muscle not being overpriced. Early, pre '73 Mustangs and pre-'74 Camaros demand redonkulous money. And forget about early Mopars.

reilo

Zyzyxxz said:
if you need it on a daily basis don't do it. It's only good as a secondary car and only if you have the space to store it to work on it since I assume you may have a job and can't spend too much time on it. Also I don't know your ability to work on cars but if you haven't considered the price of finding out of production spare parts you may want to look into that first.

Also if you are comfortable working on cars of course I would say do it, I love classics but from my own first hand experience I know and have seen projects drag on for long periods of time because you may get lazy, lose interests, prioritize time differently.
Yeah this will definitely be a project car. My Speed6 will be paid off in January (three years early!) so it will leave me room to potentially have a second car. Space is an issue at the moment but might change by the summer.
Giant Robot said:
don't do it unless you have $$$. People want ridiculous money for an average E30 M3 with high mileage, hell even E30 318/325 go for stupid money. An S14 motor will cost you about $15K new or rebuilt. By the time you rebuild/restore an E30 M3 it'll put you near $25k+. I've already gone through an E30 325 and E34 M5. Older BMW M cars are always a pain in the ass to source/price stuff.

I think you're better off rebuilding a Mustang/Chevelle/Camaro. Endless amounts and choices on parts, accesibility, not overpriced.
Oh yeah I definitely don't view this as a cheap project, but a damn fun, tedious, frustrating, and if everything goes well, an amazing project.

I'm seeing used e30s in my area on Craigslist for < $4k, even a shell for $250 (but JUST the shell).

I'd love a '69-70 Mustang or a 67-69 Camaro but those are so rare and expensive it seems by doing a quick search ($8-10k for some...).
twinturbo2 said:
I don't know about classic muscle not being overpriced. Early, pre '73 Mustangs and pre-'74 Camaros demand redonkulous money. And forget about early Mopars.
Yeah that's what I am finding out, too.

It would be cheaper to get a E36 and go balls out with that. HP Freaks is even in Portland.

reilo said:
Yeah this will definitely be a project car. My Speed6 will be paid off in January (three years early!) so it will leave me room to potentially have a second car. Space is an issue at the moment but might change by the summer.

Oh yeah I definitely don't view this as a cheap project, but a damn fun, tedious, frustrating, and if everything goes well, an amazing project.

I'm seeing used e30s in my area on Craigslist for < $4k, even a shell for $250 (but JUST the shell).

I'd love a '69-70 Mustang or a 67-69 Camaro but those are so rare and expensive it seems by doing a quick search ($8-10k for some...).

Yeah that's what I am finding out, too.

It would be cheaper to get a E36 and go balls out with that. HP Freaks is even in Portland.

That reminds me... anyone know how much a '67 (first year) Camaro goes for? RS package with all original, 98% mint blue leather interior? All it needs is a repaint, has original rims too.

Edit: Oh holy fuck, they go for $20-30k on average, sometimes up to $60k+... can't believe I have something that valuable just sitting in my garage.

Angry Grimace said:

I have driven NA and NC Miatas both on and off track.

h1nch

Ah the joys of owning a BMW :( After nearly a month I absolutely love the car. I haven't really opened her up as I've been trying to obey the break in period, but I'm about 100 miles from finishing that so I can't wait to really lay into the throttle on the open roads.

On the flipside, its been around 3 weeks or so, and my car already has at least 2 annoying creaks/rattles. One seems to be coming from the windshield, and the other from the driver's side window. They're not loud, but noticeable enough that I can hear them with the music on (in between beats)

I'm planning to take my car in for a pre-emptive oil change at my cost, so I think I'm going to make them address the creaks that I'm hearing.

Anyone who thinks BMWs are low maintenance is kidding themselves. Still its a price I'm more than willing to pay given the sheer amount of enjoyment I get from driving my car.

MisterNoisy

h1nch said:
Ah the joys of owning a BMW :( After nearly a month I absolutely love the car. I haven't really opened her up as I've been trying to obey the break in period, but I'm about 100 miles from finishing that so I can't wait to really lay into the throttle on the open roads.

On the flipside, its been around 3 weeks or so, and my car already has at least 2 annoying creaks/rattles. One seems to be coming from the windshield, and the other from the driver's side window. They're not loud, but noticeable enough that I can hear them with the music on (in between beats)

I'm planning to take my car in for a pre-emptive oil change at my cost, so I think I'm going to make them address the creaks that I'm hearing.

Anyone who thinks BMWs are low maintenance is kidding themselves. Still its a price I'm more than willing to pay given the sheer amount of enjoyment I get from driving my car.

Are you serious? Rattles after three weeks? I got shitloads of enjoyment out of my '00 Focus (driving a slow car fast is much more fun than driving a fast car slow), and it was a rock even after I sold it five years later. I'd be bitching up a storm if a new car had that shit going on.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
BoobPhysics101 said:
That reminds me... anyone know how much a '67 (first year) Camaro goes for? RS package with all original, 98% mint blue leather interior? All it needs is a repaint, has original rims too.

Edit: Oh holy fuck, they go for $20-30k on average, sometimes up to $60k+... can't believe I have something that valuable just sitting in my garage.
First, pics, please. Secondly, get an appraisal. You may be sitting on a gold mine.

Zyzyxxz

BoobPhysics101 said:

dang, pics please!

Are you gonna keep her or sell it?

h1nch said:

Haha...

Yep. My MINI Coupe is actually in service to fix a rattle/buzzing on the driver side A-pillar area and on the B-Pillar behind the passenger headrest.

The joys of BMW and debut model runs for me!

I expected it.. but thankfully MINI service is some of the best out there and they always bend over backwards to help out.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
BoobPhysics101 said:

Get it appraised, get what needs fixing fixed and get rid of it. Muscle car value has been in beanie Baby territory for a loooong. The fact that you can buy a mint Ferrari for less than a mint Camaro should be an obvious clue.

twinturbo2 said:
First, pics, please. Secondly, get an appraisal. You may be sitting on a gold mine.

Zyzyxxz said:
dang, pics please!

Are you gonna keep her or sell it?

Alright guys, I'll get a pic when it stops raining! Probably end up keeping it, the value is only going to go up right?

OuterWorldVoice said:
Get it appraised, get what needs fixing fixed and get rid of it. Muscle car value has been in beanie Baby territory for a loooong. The fact that you can buy a mint Ferrari for less than a mint Camaro should be an obvious clue.

Yeah, it's kind of insane how much love there is for these cars. If the garage is open, tons of people will come to the door and offer 10k+ for the car.

Mest30

Banned
Any other marauder owners in here? I have an 03, 60k miles with a decent amount of bolt ons. Love the car and am looking forward to continuing to mod her.

Zyzyxxz

BoobPhysics101 said:
Yeah, it's kind of insane how much love there is for these cars. If the garage is open, tons of people will come to the door and offer 10k+ for the car.

Of course the value will go up but it will probably never go down that is unless you maintain it.

If its in running condition do your best to maintain it, if the paint is original keep it covered and clean.

AcridMeat

Banned
I've been thinking more about how I want a Hyundai Genesis. But I also want a Fiesta. I know, how very different.

Of course I can't afford either.

@Mest30 You mean a Mercury Marauder right? Because when I read that I first thought of this.
Marauder-African-Truck.jpg

reilo

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
reilo said:
12HP could not have been the difference in a whopping 0.2 seconds being lopped off of that 0-60 time. What else did they do?

If you had an extra $150k to spend, you'd most likely be able to afford both anyhow, so that is a moot point.

That's a typo. It's 20HP, actually and torque. And with turbos being so variable based on outside temps, it's possible that the gains are more than just 20HP - we'd need to see how the area under the curve has changed between the 520HP GT-R and this updated one. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom