• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Automotive Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

TedNindo

I bought a new VW Polo a few months back. 1,6 TDi Bluemotion.
I love it. Best small car I've driven.

It doesn't feel like a small car.

abuC

What is a good track car? I'd like to get into road racing in the spring/summer 2012, so far Im looking at 240sx (SR20DET), 2nd Gen Rx7, Datsun 240z, it won't need to be street driven.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
abuC said:
What is a good track car? I'd like to get into road racing in the spring/summer 2012, so far Im looking at 240sx (SR20DET), 2nd Gen Rx7, Datsun 240z, it won't need to be street driven.
Any of the choices you mentioned would be good.

I'd recommend reading Grassroots Motorsports magazine and hitting their web forums.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
abuC said:

240SX has an abundance of aftermarket - none of which will break the bank. Even aftermarket are very, very cheap on turbo'd SR20s, compared to other cars out there. Though most people usually just keep the stock turbo and rebuild the housings (which doesn't cost much) to support the modding and track abuse.

240SX builds are always my favorite to follow, the value behind the car, the performance, and the fun factor...it also explains why it's historically the first car I buy in any racing game that has it (NFS, Forza, Gran Turismo, etc.). I just love modding them or watching them get modded.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
By the way AlphaSnake, I saw a Audi S4 in that pretty blue in person last night. My lord, that has to be one of the prettiest cars of all time.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
reilo said:
By the way AlphaSnake, I saw a Audi S4 in that pretty blue in person last night. My lord, that has to be one of the prettiest cars of all time.

The new A7 is the prettiest Audi in a generation. I wish to put a baby in that car.

E5MKH.jpg

Io5eg.jpg

abuC said:

240sx is awesome, any generation Miata is awesome, S2000 is super-awesome (I'm biased), older Integras/Civics with boost + LSD are cheap and a total blast.

Good luck finding a clean 240SX though. Very hard to find in good shape.

AlphaSnake

reilo said:

Sprint Blue is an interesting color and it only works on the S5 and S4. The 370Z has a similar color called Monterey Blue and it looks fuck awful in the daylight on the car:

1_PICT1489.JPG

2009-Nissan-370Z-03.jpg

AlphaSnake

OuterWorldVoice said:
The new A7 is the prettiest Audi in a generation. I wish to put a baby in that car.
--images--

Your first pic is a render of the S5 Sedan before it was revealed.

This is the front of the A7

2011-Audi-A7-Sportback-Front-Angle-3.jpg

Halvie

Banned
OuterWorldVoice said:

E5MKH.jpg

Urgh...as much as I like Audi they sure seem to be getting uglier each generation.

No idea why they don't offer the b8 in

IMG_0991.jpg

One of the best blues ever.

Halvie

Banned
OuterWorldVoice said:
wow.

How is that Charger/BMW working out for you?

People are too smart to pay what I want for my car. Seems like I am fucking stuck with it for a while. Good news is 500whp on 100 octane should only be a couple weeks away.

edit:

Anyone know an approximate price for a factory-like paint job would be (better than factory hopefully cause vw paint sucks)? Would be switching from dark metallic blue to the blue I posted above.

reilo

AlphaSnake said:
Sprint Blue is an interesting color and it only works on the S5 and S4. The 370Z has a similar color called Monterey Blue and it looks fuck awful in the daylight on the car:

http://www.a5oc.com/photos/images/209/1_PICT1489.JPG[/IMG

[IMG]http://worldtomotive.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/2009-Nissan-370Z-03.jpg[/IMG[/QUOTE]
I saw it at night and just uttered "Wow". It was dreamy.

AlphaSnake

reilo said:
I saw it at night and just uttered "Wow". It was dreamy.

Yeah, it's crazy hot. When I considered an S5, I was really hoping to find a Sprint Blue

iidesuyo

TedNindo said:
I bought a new VW Polo a few months back. 1,6 TDi Bluemotion.
I love it. Best small car I've driven.

It doesn't feel like a small car.

My brother owns a Passat 1.6 TDI Bluemotion. He's getting 4,2l/100km, really great for such a huge car. What's your mileage?

PS: Post a pic!

reilo

AlphaSnake said:
Yeah, it's crazy hot. When I considered an S5, I was really hoping to find a Sprint Blue
Would Audi let you build one out with that color if you pay extra? Does that happen?

AlphaSnake

reilo said:
Would Audi let you build one out with that color if you pay extra? Does that happen?

You could yeah, but it'd take way too long. And the color ended after 2011.

Halvie

Banned

Mest30

Banned
AcridMeat said:
I've been thinking more about how I want a Hyundai Genesis. But I also want a Fiesta. I know, how very different.

Of course I can't afford either.

@Mest30 You mean a Mercury Marauder right? Because when I read that I first thought of this.
Marauder-African-Truck.jpg

Lol, yes a mercury marauder.

reilo

Here's a bit of curiosity. GT Spirit is reporting that Audi has pulled the manual gearbox option for both the S4 and the S5 in Europe. The news comes courtesy of Fourtitude, who spoke with Barry Hoch, the product planning manager for Audi of America. Hoch said that while the sportier Audi models will lose their third pedal in the EU, American buyers will still be able to row their own gears.
If they got rid of manual gearboxes in their S-line here, then that would pretty much ensure I never buy an Audi.

Also:

bulldog-gt-rend-front2.jpg

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/11/09/hbh-reveals-final-design-for-mid-engined-aston-martin-bulldog-gt/

Fuck.

AlphaSnake

reilo said:
If they got rid of manual gearboxes in their S-line here, then that would pretty much ensure I never buy an Audi.

Drive an MT Audi and it'll ensure you'd never want to own one regardless. They had pieces of shit gearboxes with the vaguest, softest, lifeless clutch "feel" and shifter "feel" you could ever ask for. I've driven econoboxes that had better feeling MTs than the crap Audi offers in their sporty trimmings.

reilo

AlphaSnake said:
Drive an MT Audi and it'll ensure you'd never want to own one regardless. They had pieces of shit gearboxes with the vaguest, softest, lifeless clutch "feel" and shifter "feel" you could ever ask for. I've driven econoboxes that had better feeling MTs than the crap Audi offers in their sporty trimmings.
That's highly disappointing. Any aftermarket parts that could alleviate that?

I just hate this idea of an auto company removing a manual option and then asking me to swallow down $2-3k for an automatic (no matter how good it is).

AlphaSnake

reilo said:
That's highly disappointing. Any aftermarket parts that could alleviate that?

Virtually none to alleviate how lame their MTs are. Audi is a luxury car company at the end of the day, and softness and smoothness prevails over anything else they'll do in the S-cars.

reilo

AlphaSnake said:
Virtually none to alleviate how lame their MTs are. Audi is a luxury car company at the end of the day, and softness and smoothness prevails over anything else they'll do in the S-cars.
I guess I'll find out whenever it is I test drive one /grumble

AlphaSnake

reilo said:
I guess I'll find out whenever it is I test drive one /grumble

Whatever you do, DO NOT test drive an A5 or any 2.0T Audi MT. But like I said, the S4 and S5 aren't that much better. :p

reilo

AlphaSnake said:
Whatever you do, DO NOT test drive an A5 or any 2.0T Audi MT. But like I said, the S4 and S5 aren't that much better. :p
Not enough cylinders or horsepower for what they cost for me :p

That A5 does look delicious though.

Smokey

So I had to get a loaner 2011 328i while my 335i conv is having its tire replaced. First time driving a 328i. First thing I noticed was that it does driver smoother than my car. Kind of expected this with the smaller tires, non run flats etc. Has a little kick to it when you put your foot down, but not close to the jolt of my 335. The new Idrive system is nice, but not dramatically different than the older system. It's easier to use I guess, but then again I don't find the older one to be that much of a pain. *shrug*

I really want to replace those damn run flats on my car..

I was asking for advice on an economical car about a month ago, and just wanted to give an update.

I wanted a tiny hatchback; wife wanted to be higher up off the road. Wife won.

We got a great 0 down, 0% apr deal on a Mazda CX-7, and added leather seats.

I love it. Great car -- drives fantastic, quiet interior, solid MsPG. I can't believe that it and a Mazda 6 are like the same price as a Camry, which is our other car. It's so much better. I just hope it lasts as long.

(EDIT: and, yeah, I knew about the coming CX-5 with the new engine tech, but we needed a car now because of a new job)

abuC said:

I'm a Silvia type of guy and I've owned a 180SX (RHD import) for a while. The aftermarket support for 240's in general is HUGE! There's everything under the sun. There's great North American companies that offer parts for them as well so you won't get smashed with the current exchange rates (Yen).

I sold my car a while ago to save for a house, but I do plan to import a S15 Silvia once they are legal in Canada. I'm sitting on way more parts then I'd like to admit for it as well.

Seriously, they are cheap fun and you'll enjoy it a lot.

nitewulf

Smokey said:
So I had to get a loaner 2011 328i while my 335i conv is having its tire replaced. First time driving a 328i. First thing I noticed was that it does driver smoother than my car. Kind of expected this with the smaller tires, non run flats etc. Has a little kick to it when you put your foot down, but not close to the jolt of my 335. The new Idrive system is nice, but not dramatically different than the older system. It's easier to use I guess, but then again I don't find the older one to be that much of a pain. *shrug*

I really want to replace those damn run flats on my car..
run flats are standard on all 328is. in fact only the M3 and the six series doesnt have run flats.

AlphaSnake

Halvie said:
That would be like totally great if true, but it isn't. Have driven both kits before and after. Saying it doesn't make a huge difference is a joke.

A3/S3/TT - Dieselgeek Short shifter

A4/A5/S4/S5- JHM Short Shifter

I'll give you that. But the clutch is still awful and soulless. And I'm honestly not a fan of aftermarket shift kits and clutches.

Halvie

Banned
AlphaSnake said:
I'll give you that. But the clutch is still awful and soulless. And I'm honestly not a fan of aftermarket shift kits and clutches.

Why aren't you a fan? Just the increased risk since it isn't an oem part?

Agree more with the clutch feel. Mine was pretty shit stock as are a lot of vw/audis.

Viperbah

abuC said:

Miata + LSX swap = domination

Also, looking at trading my DD civic for a more enjoyable DD.

Looking at a 05-06 GTO and a G8 GT(gotta go with what you know haha)....but I want to ask, any other recommendations? I basically want decent HP, nice interior, decent MPG and fun factor. I am clueless on BMWs, Audis etc. I want to spend around 15-18k

robox

for any sort of organized racing, you'd better read the rulebook first. engine swaps are usually restricted/governed. if it's just general track driving, then anything will do.

Viperbah

True, 99 % of the time swaps are not allowed at all in any sort of competition.

I presumed, based on his question, this would just be a decent track car to beat on.

You always want to look for a car/motor that is solidly built and easy to work on...when your tracking a car, shit will break, mess up and fall apart...it's guaranteed.

Smokey

nitewulf said:
run flats are standard on all 328is. in fact only the M3 and the six series doesnt have run flats.

Oh really. Interesting, did not know that.

Well I want to replace them on my 335. I'm too lazy though

AlphaSnake

Halvie said:
Why aren't you a fan? Just the increased risk since it isn't an oem part?

Agree more with the clutch feel. Mine was pretty shit stock as are a lot of vw/audis.

Yes. Anytime you touch something like that and let's say your transmission begins to develop a grind into a gear the dealers will instantly blame it on your STS. Then we have aftermarket clutches, which are almost never sold with stronger slave cylinders and quite often end up destroying the factory ones way too fast.

Things like exhausts, manifolds, intakes, tunes, and other bolt-ons I'm okay with. But anything overly mechanical I prefer to leave alone. Though I do make exceptions for higher geared FDs, which are always awesome. :p

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Battersea Power Station said:
I was asking for advice on an economical car about a month ago, and just wanted to give an update.

I wanted a tiny hatchback; wife wanted to be higher up off the road. Wife won.

We got a great 0 down, 0% apr deal on a Mazda CX-7, and added leather seats.

I love it. Great car -- drives fantastic, quiet interior, solid MsPG. I can't believe that it and a Mazda 6 are like the same price as a Camry, which is our other car. It's so much better. I just hope it lasts as long.

(EDIT: and, yeah, I knew about the coming CX-5 with the new engine tech, but we needed a car now because of a new job)

I have a CX7 and it has been bulletproof. Like ALL cars, the check engine light comes on for no reason at all. But it has never even stuttered. Bulletproof so far. Four years old, i think.

Halvie

Banned
AlphaSnake said:
Yes. Anytime you touch something like that and let's say your transmission begins to develop a grind into a gear the dealers will instantly blame it on your STS. Then we have aftermarket clutches, which are almost never sold with stronger slave cylinders and quite often end up destroying the factory ones way too fast.

Things like exhausts, manifolds, intakes, tunes, and other bolt-ons I'm okay with. But anything overly mechanical I prefer to leave alone. Though I do make exceptions for higher geared FDs, which are always awesome. :p

Didn't install the sts for the s4/s5, but the tt/a3/gti can be uninstalled in under an hour. I am mechanically brain dead. If I can do it anyone can :)

I had to get my intake manifold and water pump replaced, and was shocked the dealer warrantied it and didn't tell me to go get fucked. Think I just lucked out. Have heard of that particular dealer voiding warranties over simple tunes let alone different internals/lsd/clutch/turbo/blah/blah.

do you still have the 370z, or did you get something new?

AlphaSnake

Halvie said:
Didn't install the sts for the s4/s5, but the tt/a3/gti can be uninstalled in under an hour. I am mechanically brain dead. If I can do it anyone can :)

I had to get my intake manifold and water pump replaced, and was shocked the dealer warrantied it and didn't tell me to go get fucked. Think I just lucked out. Have heard of that particular dealer voiding warranties over simple tunes let alone different internals/lsd/clutch/turbo/blah/blah.

do you still have the 370z, or did you get something new?

It's only been a year since I bought the 370Z. I still have it, yes. Haha

h1nch

My baby's in the shop as of this morning. The dealership gave me a 328i loaner and wow what a difference. Admittedly I think I'd gotten used to driving the 335i as the torque doesn't surprise me the way it did when I first got it, but now that I'm driving a 328i, I definitely feel the difference. The car feels sluggish by comparison even though the NA engine is silky smooth and has plenty of power in its own right.

Now I just want my car back

reilo

There's a RS4 for sale near me for ~$40k, ~30k miles, but it's yellow :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom