• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Automotive Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
reilo said:
There's a RS4 for sale near me for ~$40k, ~30k miles, but it's yellow :(

Admire it from a far. The color will be the least of your concerns once you realize your car suddenly feels slower than the 350Z that blew past you, you take it to Audi, they take apart your manifold and say "hay! you have carbon build up. Tons of it. That'll be $1600 to clean out."

And then you come back 1 year later with the same fucking problem.

"But AlphaSnacks", you say..."is it really that big of an issue? Or are you making shit up?"

Glad you asked, Timmy. Hope you have your reading glasses:

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showt...FSI-Engine-Carbon-Build-up-Thread-for-RS4-4.2

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php/336352-Audi-FSI-Engine-Carbon-Build-up-Megathread

How would it make you feel if your 420HP beast of a car, put down 280WHP on a dyno? Like a limp dicked motherfucker, that's how.

No doubt that the RS4 is one of the all time most beautiful cars Audi's ever made. But that motor is absolute nightmare to maintain.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
AlphaSnake said:
Admire it from a far. The color will be the least of your concerns once you realize your car suddenly feels slower than the 350Z that blew past you, you take it to Audi, they take apart your manifold and say "hay! you have carbon build up. Tons of it. That'll be $1600 to clean out."

"But AlphaSnacks", you say..."is it really that big of an issue? Or are you making shit up?"

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showt...FSI-Engine-Carbon-Build-up-Thread-for-RS4-4.2

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php/336352-Audi-FSI-Engine-Carbon-Build-up-Megathread

How would it make you feel if your 420HP beast of a car, put down 280WHP on a dyno? Like a limp dicked motherfucker, that's how.

No doubt that the RS4 is one of the all time most beautiful cars Audi's ever made. But that motor is absolute nightmare to maintain.
I'm starting to believe that my ideal car for the price I am looking for a) doesn't exist, b) never existed, or c) never will exist.

What a damn shame. Thanks for the heads up.

AlphaSnake

Yeah, it's brutal finding the right car. This is why I prefer naturally aspirated cars, with simplistic mechanics, but just enough technology. Thus, my 370Z. :p

Or any Infiniti, as well, for that matter. I'll include a Lexus IS350 and ISF in there, as well. My tastes have become more and more narrow as cars become more and more complicated for no purpose.

reilo

AlphaSnake said:
Yeah, it's brutal finding the right car. This is why I prefer naturally aspirated cars, with simplistic mechanics, but just enough technology. Thus, my 370Z. :p

Or any Infiniti, as well, for that matter. I'll include a Lexus IS350 and ISF in there, as well. My tastes have become more and more narrow as cars become more and more complicated for no purpose.
Maybe I just need to be patient and wait a few more years when I (hopefully) have "who gives a fuck" money to spend and then I can get the car I want.

I'm looking at '06+ Carreras within 200 miles of me and the mark-up is insane.

$69,997 for an '08 Carrera S with 17k miles.
$72,995 for an '08 Carrera S with 26k miles.

Who the fuck are you kidding?

reilo

nitewulf said:
you want Porsches to be cheap? what would be the point of having a Porsche then?
I didn't say that?

It's a good $10-15k more expensive than the equivalent Porsche in other parts of the country.

AlphaSnake said:

Fuck Audis. Beautiful cars... if you don't own one. Audi's build quality and reliability is absolutely laughable.

AlphaSnake

BoobPhysics101 said:
Fuck Audis. Beautiful cars... if you don't own one. Audi's build quality and reliability is absolutely laughable.

Their build quality is actually superb. No rattles, squeaks, creaks, whatever. You can run over a grenade and the car will run. The paint is also spectacularly thick and resistant to rock chips.

But the reliability is very up and down with those cars. Very hit or miss depending on the models....and even depending on the package you get.

reilo said:
Maybe I just need to be patient and wait a few more years when I (hopefully) have "who gives a fuck" money to spend and then I can get the car I want.

have you test driven a cayman S? I hear the difference is really small.

reilo

akachan ningen said:
I don't like the stylistic differences. They might be minor t some, but they are a big deal to me.

Speaking of intake manifolds, took my car into BMW and they feel my checking engine light turns out to be having to replace my intake manifold. Said they have to wait 7-10 days for parts.

It's all under warranty so I don't pay anything but I felt nothing at all wrong with my car other than the check engine light coming on.

Sometimes I wonder if these service technicians even have a clue.

reilo said:

I'm I missing something here? The only Carrera I know of is the Carrera GT, which obviously costs significantly more $70,000.

reilo

weekend_warrior said:
I'm I missing something here? The only Carrera I know of is the Carrera GT, which obviously costs significantly more $70,000.
Is this a joke?

akachan ningen said:

On paper they look similar, but they feel very different. The Carrera S is rear engine, it rides higher, it's a bit larger, it feels quicker... I'd take the Carrera, but I'm not a fan of Porsches.

reilo, it's pretty inexpensive to ship a car. If you can save 15K buying out of state, just ship it.

reilo

MikeOfTheLivingDead said:
reilo, it's pretty inexpensive to ship a car. If you can save 15K buying out of state, just ship it.
The thought occurred to me. Hell, I wouldn't even mind flying down to Southern Cali and picking up the car I want (ROAD TRIP!) since it's like $99 one way to LAX no matter what time of the year. There are worse ways to spend two days and 1,000 miles than driving along the west coast in a high performance car. Although, there are certain risks involved to be sure.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
weekend_warrior said:

Carrera just means 'race' in Spanish. Porsche trademarked the term but it usually just means a race prepared or tuned car variant. So a 911 Carrera will have some race directed differences from say, a 911 standard. And Carrera GT is the GT car, just made consumer friendly. And hence it's ludicrously expensive. It doesn't have anything in common with the 911 Carreras.

aznpxdd

reilo said:
I'm starting to believe that my ideal car for the price I am looking for a) doesn't exist, b) never existed, or c) never will exist.

What a damn shame. Thanks for the heads up.

What's the requirement for your ideal car?

reilo

aznpxdd said:
What's the requirement for your ideal car?
Ideal ideal?

V8, RWD, Coupe, Manual, European, Great looking, LSD, ~$50k

Of course, that is far too narrow (and I don't have $150k to spend) and the criteria expanded to:

V6 or V8, RWD or AWD, Coupe (although I wouldn't mind a sedan when it looks as good as the S4), Manual, European, Great looking, LSD, ~$50k

A used M3 falls under the former, plenty fall under the latter but not necessarily in my price range, and reliability is such a cluster that I might as well just bite the bullet and hope for the best.

There are also some really nice Japanese and US cars that could very easily fit that description, but I am not in love with some of their styling decisions. They are good looking cars for sure, just not my style (ie Mustang exterior is nice, but that interior, yuck).

The lack of a LSD and aftermarket HPFP disqualifies the 335i unfortunately and that car is so damn common. A lot of it has to do with how I feel about a car, too.

Mully

I'm having a hard time selling my 2001 Lincoln LS V8. I bought it from my parents a few years back, then inherited a Ford F-250, that I just sold.

It seems like people are not interested in buying anything over a 4 cylinder right now. It's a luxury sedan with some power, and the need premium gas is scaring any potential buyers away.

I have it on Craigslist for $4800 at the moment, and I'm looking to use the money from both sales to buy something built in the 2000s with atleast 25mpg city and under 100,000 miles.

Any suggestions for selling my car? Any suggestions for a used car? (I like to have a little giddyup)

Stinkles

reilo said:
Ideal ideal?

Of course, that is far too narrow (and I don't have $150k to spend) and the criteria expanded to:

V6 or V8, RWD or AWD, Coupe (although I wouldn't mind a sedan when it looks as good as the S4), Manual, European, Great looking, LSD, ~$50k

A used M3 falls under the former, plenty fall under the latter but not necessarily in my price range, and reliability is such a cluster that I might as well just bite the bullet and hope for the best.

There are also some really nice Japanese and US cars that could very easily fit that description, but I am not in love with some of their styling decisions. They are good looking cars for sure, just not my style (ie Mustang exterior is nice, but that interior, yuck).

The lack of a LSD and aftermarket HPFP disqualifies the 335i unfortunately and that car is so damn common. A lot of it has to do with how I feel about a car, too.

What about an ISF?

http://usedcars.kbb.com/cars/cars-for-sale-Lexus.IS-F/location-98103

Stinkles

reilo said:
I hate the way it looks and it's automatic only.

Well your perfect car doesn't exist. You're gonna have to compromise. I would take a shift mechanism I didn't like over massive carbon buildup. But if you don't like the looks, that's major. I think it looks ludicrous from the rear with that exhaust cluster, but overall I like it.

reilo

OuterWorldVoice said:
Well your perfect car doesn't exist. You're gonna have to compromise. I would take a shift mechanism I didn't like over massive carbon buildup. But if you don't like the looks, that's major. I think it looks ludicrous from the rear with that exhaust cluster, but overall I like it.
I have already disqualified the RS line of engines because of that issue -- which is major.

I also expanded my criteria and am in no rush to buy a new car now. But my tastes are my tastes, I can't change that. Why should I make big compromises when spending that big amount of money?

Goddamn those options are murderous on a 335i. I easily added $8k of shit that should be standard which puts the car at damn near $60k. For $5k more I can get a M3. Pfft.

Bad_Boy said:
mind as well change the topic to luxury sedan discussion thread.
... why?

AlphaSnake

weekend_warrior said:

You're missing about 50 years of common automotive knowledge.

Zyzyxxz

reilo said:
I have already disqualified the RS line of engines because of that issue -- which is major.

I also expanded my criteria and am in no rush to buy a new car now. But my tastes are my tastes, I can't change that. Why should I make big compromises when spending that big amount of money?

Goddamn those options are murderous on a 335i. I easily added $8k of shit that should be standard which puts the car at damn near $60k. For $5k more I can get a M3. Pfft.

... why?

what about a used Cadillac CTS-V? It's not European but its a heck of a drive too.

reilo

Zyzyxxz said:
what about a used Cadillac CTS-V? It's not European but its a heck of a drive too.
I love everything about it except the way it looks.

Zyzyxxz

reilo said:
I love everything about it except the way it looks.

heh can't be helped, at first I felt it was boring but it grew on me, then I drove one.

Interior, although somewhat bland is much better than a Corvette's at least.

reilo

Zyzyxxz said:
heh can't be helped, at first I felt it was boring but it grew on me, then I drove one.

Interior, although somewhat bland is much better than a Corvette's at least.
Yeah like that's an accomplishment.

One of my favorite Corvette anecdotes was sitting in a 2001 Corvette one day and realizing that it had nearly the same interior to the 1998 Chevy Lumina I was driving.

I shall be taking ownership of one of these in the coming week! Extremely excited.

050304-a-ren.jpg

I am purely interested in (cheap) performance, so all its little faults and quirks do not upset me!

aznpxdd

reilo said:
Ideal ideal?

S4 seems like exactly what you are looking for...

And yes, I agree the B8 A4/S4 looks awesome (though I'm baised :p)

NOM NOM NOM Sprint Blue.

IMG_3981.jpg

IMG_3947.jpg

OuterWorldVoice said:
Carrera just means 'race' in Spanish. Porsche trademarked the term but it usually just means a race prepared or tuned car variant. So a 911 Carrera will have some race directed differences from say, a 911 standard. And Carrera GT is the GT car, just made consumer friendly. And hence it's ludicrously expensive. It doesn't have anything in common with the 911 Carreras.

Ah, thanks.

AlphaSnake said:
You're missing about 50 years of common automotive knowledge.

Whatever, I don't know shit about Porches and I've never heard someone refer to a 911 simply as a "Carrera".

reilo said:
Ideal ideal?

2007 Aston Martin V8 Vantage Coupe- $62,900
R4WbJ.png

AcridMeat

Banned
33-Hit-Combo said:
I shall be taking ownership of one of these in the coming week! Extremely excited.

050304-a-ren.jpg

I am purely interested in (cheap) performance, so all its little faults and quirks do not upset me!

So envious. Is it in that color as well?

AcridMeat said:
So envious. Is it in that color as well?

Unfortunately not, that was my preference (minus the stripes). The one I am going for is boring Silver, with anthracite wheels as it has the cup suspension pack. I would have also liked the choice of orange or yellow, but these are rare colours in the UK... So rare people try to put a 25% premium on it!

One day I'll be able to afford the cars people talk about and own in this thread...

reilo

weekend_warrior said:
2007 Aston Martin V8 Vantage Coupe- $62,900
http://i.imgur.com/R4WbJ.png[/IMG[/QUOTE]
I think AlphaSnake mentioned not too long ago that the V8s in those have carbon build-up issues, too :(

[QUOTE=weekend_warrior]Ah, thanks.

Whatever, I don't know shit about Porches and I've never heard someone refer to a 911 simply as a "Carrera".[/QUOTE]
The word "Carrera" is on the back of nearly every modern 911...

[IMG]http://www.porschecarpics.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/porsche-911-targa.bmp
2006-porsche-911-997-carrera-4-4s-rear-angle-view-588x441.jpg

1995_Porsche_Carrera_rear1.jpg

112_0808_09z+2009_porsche_911_carrera_4+rear_view.%20%20jpg

aznpxdd said:
S4 seems like exactly what you are looking for...

And yes, I agree the B8 A4/S4 looks awesome (though I'm baised :p)

NOM NOM NOM Sprint Blue.

http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn138/DimitriLB/IMG_3981.jpg[/IMG

[IMG]http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn138/DimitriLB/IMG_3947.jpg[/IMG[/QUOTE]
That's actually the car I have been targeting for a couple of months now, and maybe a 2013 S5 with the 3.0TFSI. Unfortunately they don't make it in Sprint Blue anymore :(

AlphaSnake

reilo said:
I think AlphaSnake mentioned not too long ago that the V8s in those have carbon build-up issues, too :(

The maintenance on them is insane. A clutch costs over $6K to buy and install. :X You'll need a new one every 45K miles, whether its stick or auto.

The word "Carrera" is on the back of nearly every modern 911...

porsche-911-targa.bmp

2006-porsche-911-997-carrera-4-4s-rear-angle-view-588x441.jpg

1995_Porsche_Carrera_rear1.jpg

112_0808_09z+2009_porsche_911_carrera_4+rear_view.%20%20jpg

LMAO. Seriously.

That's actually the car I have been targeting for a couple of months now, and maybe a 2013 S5 with the 3.0TFSI. Unfortunately they don't make it in Sprint Blue anymore :(

Audi can lick my balls for delaying the supercharged S5 here in the US until May. It's already out in Europe for a month. Why does Audi hate Americans? We don't want this old ass V8 anymore!

nitewulf

i was reading up on the RS5...that's one badass looking car. shame about this carbon buildup issue though. is the A4 affected as well? a friend of mine is planning to lease/buy one.

reilo

AlphaSnake said:
The maintenance on them is insane. A clutch costs over $6K to buy and install. :X You'll need a new one every 45K miles, whether its stick or auto.
*grumble*

10% of the car cost just for a clutch? lol.
Audi can lick my balls for delaying the supercharged S5 here in the US until May. It's already out in Europe for a month. Why does Audi hate Americans? We don't want this old ass V8 anymore!
I wonder if there was dealer push-back because they had too much inventory to clear?

AcridMeat

Banned
33-Hit-Combo said:
Unfortunately not, that was my preference (minus the stripes). The one I am going for is boring Silver, with anthracite wheels as it has the cup suspension pack. I would have also liked the choice of orange or yellow, but these are rare colours in the UK... So rare people try to put a 25% premium on it!

One day I'll be able to afford the cars people talk about and own in this thread...

Shame about the color. Can't you just find a shop to do another one for you? Or is that typically not a good idea?

And I know what you mean, one day we can join the discussion of luxury! This is (pretty much) what my car is. I have different wheels and a tan leather interior. Love the 5-speed in it at least. :)
83415425.jpg

Halvie

Banned
nitewulf said:
shame about this carbon buildup issue though. is the A4 affected as well? a friend of mine is planning to lease/buy one.

Almost every DI engine has some degree of carbon buildup. Unless they spray fuel at multiple points there isn't a way around it.

TSI is better than the FSI, but it is still there.

These are my valves at 15k.

nl5xf4.jpg

No catch can, w/m, or anything to help prevent it. 14k of those miles well above stock power levels.

Had them rechecked at 28k. Less buildup than these pics, so I didn't bother cleaning them again.

AlphaSnake

I honestly wish Jalopnik didn't draw this ZR1, but instead showed us what the cleaner base model looks like. This ZR1 variant is horrifically overstyled (I use the word loosely) with vents and edges slapped on everywhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom