• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Automotive Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

JJBro One

I'm going to buy a new car and need some advice. My top 4 cars in order are the 2012 Toyota camry SE, 2012 Honda accord, 2012 Subaru legacy, and the 2012 Nissan Altima. Which of these cars would u guys say is the best to go with? Please factor in reliability, resale value, and features.

I would say it would be between the Camry and the Legacy, with the Legacy ahead only if you need AWD. The Camry just got a bit of a refresh and doesn't look as plain as before. The Accord is getting old and not a fan of this generation.

Darth Pinche said:
Some early reviews just released about the FR-S says it is very good for a small, fun, tossable sports car. They were not going for brute strength or 0-60 times, but a fun experience. Sounds good to me, but I hope the Subaru BRZ looks better.

Autocar UK review
From the article:

"Should I buy one?
I suspect those who do won’t regret it. The Toyota FT-86 will need a change in attitude: this car’s not about delivering ultimate acceleration or lap times, it’s just about having fun."

Hooray! I hope this becomes a design trend since I'm actually getting tired of the "5-zillion horsepower! 2 minutes around the Hamburgerring!" bullshit that's been pervading the sports car market.

cajunator

Banned
JJBro One said:
I'm going to buy a new car and need some advice. My top 4 cars in order are the 2012 Toyota camry SE, 2012 Honda accord, 2012 Subaru legacy, and the 2012 Nissan Altima. Which of these cars would u guys say is the best to go with? Please factor in reliability, resale value, and features.
Seriously, I think you need to test drive a Ford fusion as well.
I think you'll be pleasantly surprised by that car.
The V6 is a lot of fun to drive.

doitlive said:
Miata's have been doing that for more than two decades.
XyhDs.jpg

Okay that's not fair to the Miata. The Miata is a great little car but it's a tiny little convertible and to a lot of people that's not an option. The FRS and the BRZ (or whatever) will be light, RWD coupes with a focus on handling over power--we really haven't seen that in the market for a while.

Off the top of your head, name the last small, light, handling-focused RWD coupe for under $25,000 that was available in America. Personally I'm blanking out and the only thing I can think of is the 240sx.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Epic Tales of Penis said:
Hey guys. What's a good site that can host pics without bandwidth issues leading to broken urls?

Going to snap some pics of my car tomorrow for this thread.

Thanks.
Either imgur.com or minus.com

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
You guys seem to forget this car is the successor to the AE-86. A 2300lb car with 115HP and 105lbs of torque.

The F-RS is going to be stripped, modded, roll caged, and turbo'ed to death. Even with the 24k pricetag, it's going to be huge on the drift/race scene.

Dave is right. This thing is aimed at the Civic si. Not a 40k 370Z lol.

Limedust

AlphaSnake said:
Premium. My mom has a 2009 (same engine) and the dealer filled it with regular we took delivery of it. It felt sluggish, I ran the tank dry and filled it up with 93. The ECU adjusted timing (timing relates to the combustion process) and the car felt much, much better after about 25 miles of driving with the 93.

ECUs in modern day cars aren't tuned to just accept one type of gas, if they are it'll only be for premium, which performance oriented cars usually specify. First of all, regular gas is dirtier gas - it'll eventually clog up your valves and hurt your motor's performance. Premium is cleaner gas and detonates better as well, preventing engine knock issues. Also, premium has been found to provide better mileage results, simply because it allows the engine to run more efficiently and combust properly.

Any higher-compression motor, anything above the 9:1 mark should be using premium only, even if the manufacturer says regular is okay. A low compression motor, say, 8:1 can do on regular for its entire duration. Your VW has a compression ratio of 9.5:1 - that's decently high and definitely requires premium. It's also a 2.5L 5-cylinder motor.

Use cheap gas on a higher compression motor, and you'll experience some knocking - you may not hear it, but it'll be there and you'll prematurely wear certain components of the motor. Trust me. You can use regular on occasion, and your ECU will compensate by decreasing ignition timing to prevent as much engine knock as possible, even on a performance car - but it is not advised to do it for prolonged periods of time.

Lower octane fuels USED to have fewer detergents in them, allowing for more buildup on valves, etc, but that has been changed for quite a while now. Not for certain, but pretty sure that is a federal regulation to keep fuel suppliers from scaring people into only buying premium when it isn't necessary. What you are saying used to be the case, though.

Pretty much all modern engines have knock sensors that retard the spark timing, and prevent pre-detonation. You get lowered torque, but there should be no ill effects on the engine if it is properly engineered and programmed.

Better mileage from higher octane is usually a result of not having the timing pulled during any situation. With the HP and torque number wars, manufacturers will push the spark timing to the very edge, with the expectation of a light load, and just pull timing as necessary. I get better fuel economy on my Dodge Ram 1500 with the 5.7L V8 with premium because my spark gauge shows no timing retard when climbing a hill with a load in the bed. On 89 or 87 octane, I usually see the knock sensors hit in that situation, and the tune on my truck is completely stock.

Aftermarket tuners that come with canned tunes are even worse. Superchips just advances the timing by a flat 4* or 6* across the board, and relies on the knock sensors to pull timing whenever needed.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Dave Inc. said:
http://i.imgur.com/XyhDs.jpg[MG]

Okay that's not fair to the Miata. The Miata is a great little car but it's a tiny little convertible and to a lot of people that's not an option. The FRS and the BRZ (or whatever) will be light, RWD coupes with a focus on handling over power--we really haven't seen that in the market for a while.

Off the top of your head, name the last small, light, handling-focused RWD coupe for under $25,000 that was available in America. Personally I'm blanking out and the only thing I can think of is the 240sx.[/QUOTE]
It's pretty hilarious when people try to claim the Miata is super fun and awesome and totally not a chick's car.

My dad used to own one (i.e. I drove it all the time) and it was not really that fun, quick or any of the things people who don't own them claim they are. They're dinky little things that handle okay (but not great) and aren't particularly quick.

Angry Grimace said:
It's pretty hilarious when people try to claim the Miata is super fun and awesome and totally not a chick's car.

My dad used to own one (i.e. I drove it all the time) and it was not really that fun, quick or any of the things people who don't own them claim they are. They're dinky little things that handle okay (but not great) and aren't particularly quick.

Yeah, I mean, it is not like you see them racing ever. Or that they have their own Spec series. Nah, they are just slow, shitty chick cars. Totally.

On another note, HERE is an interesting article about Chris Rado's 2500HP V8TT "Street" Supra.

ameratsu

I don't really get the criticism on the last page towards the ft-86. Sounds to me like this car could be a lot of different things to a lot of different people.

So what if there's no 300hp option right now? Was that ever the point of this car from toyota's perspective?

JJBro One

doitlive said:
I would say it would be between the Camry and the Legacy, with the Legacy ahead only if you need AWD. The Camry just got a bit of a refresh and doesn't look as plain as before. The Accord is getting old and not a fan of this generation.
Is the impreza any good?

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Dave Inc. said:
http://i.imgur.com/XyhDs.jpg[/IMG

Off the top of your head, name the last small, light, handling-focused RWD coupe for under $25,000 that was available in America. Personally I'm blanking out and the only thing I can think of is the 240sx.[/QUOTE]
RX-8.
Genesis Coupe (although a bit heavier but plenty of torque).

reilo

subaru-brz-sti-concept-1-1320156555.jpg

Curiously, the STI team has chosen to leave the BRZ's 2.0-liter naturally aspirated Boxer four untouched. A shame, since a turbocharged version of the all-new powerplant would certainly make sense for an STI-badged version of the car. Subaru has, however, fitted upgraded suspension bits, new Brembo brakes and larger 18-inch wheels.
Ugh, what the fuck? A STI-badged Subaru without a turbocharged boxer-four?

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/11/01/subaru-brz-sti-concept-coming-to-la-auto-show/

Took one pic of my car guys but it was getting dark and then got a call from a friend so I had to go. No idea what the white specs (flash?) are running down the middle but they dont exist on my car.

Sorry for the quality of it but I plan on taking more tomorow. Also apologize about the size. Will ensure other ones are smaller.

wotvE.jpg

AlphaSnake said:
As hot as this version looks (absolutely shits on the ugly Toyota version)...how it God's name can this be an STi, if it doesn't have the power? That is a disgrace to tradition. They're tarnishing their name.

STI is subaru's motorsports division. If they tuned this car in other ways, then what's the problem? It would be completely arbitrary to have a minimum HP requirement.

I'm also on Something Awful's automotive sub-forum and the difference in opinion on the FR-S/BRZ are hilarious. So much of GAF is upset about it not having "enough" power, most of SA is excited and not at all disappointed about the power. Completely different attitudes towards being a car enthusiast.

JJBro One said:

Ford fusion

otake

Doesn't know that "You" is used in both the singular and plural
Alakablamo said:
Lower octane fuels USED to have fewer detergents in them, allowing for more buildup on valves, etc, but that has been changed for quite a while now. Not for certain, but pretty sure that is a federal regulation to keep fuel suppliers from scaring people into only buying premium when it isn't necessary. What you are saying used to be the case, though.

Pretty much all modern engines have knock sensors that retard the spark timing, and prevent pre-detonation. You get lowered torque, but there should be no ill effects on the engine if it is properly engineered and programmed.

Better mileage from higher octane is usually a result of not having the timing pulled during any situation. With the HP and torque number wars, manufacturers will push the spark timing to the very edge, with the expectation of a light load, and just pull timing as necessary. I get better fuel economy on my Dodge Ram 1500 with the 5.7L V8 with premium because my spark gauge shows no timing retard when climbing a hill with a load in the bed. On 89 or 87 octane, I usually see the knock sensors hit in that situation, and the tune on my truck is completely stock.

Aftermarket tuners that come with canned tunes are even worse. Superchips just advances the timing by a flat 4* or 6* across the board, and relies on the knock sensors to pull timing whenever needed.

According to my Vehicles manual, the 2012 Golf can take Regular. I don't know, it feels better running on Premium. It could be psychological. I'm going to run this premium tank dry, note the MPG results (actual not what my system says) and do the same test with Regular next week.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
New Peugeot 208. It looks like a heck of a lot of car in a tiny package.

4962102081110pc021.jpg

peugeot-208-23.jpg

peugeot-208-17.jpg

Peugeot Citroën have stepped their game up big time with their latest cars. I can't wait to see the DS6.

iidesuyo

Funky Papa said:

4962102081110pc021.jpg

The 206 was one of the few Peugeots I actually liked. This one looks a little bit too much like a toy, but let's see how it turns out.

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
Narpas Sword0 said:
Ford fusion
He said to factor in resale value and reliability though. The Fusion does have some nice little features and the suspension is nice but high beams are weak sauce. Go for the Accord.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Shortt Sirket said:
Yeah, I mean, it is not like you see them racing ever. Or that they have their own Spec series. Nah, they are just slow, shitty chick cars. Totally.

On another note, HERE is an interesting article about Chris Rado's 2500HP V8TT "Street" Supra.
Your response practically screams you've never driven one.

As far as I can tell, you're just basing it off the special racing model that has nothing to do with the stock car, whereas, my opinion is based on having driven one for 4 years every day.

reilo

trd-ft86.jpg

At least the hideous "Falcon" LEDs are gone, but still: barf.

It wouldn't be so bad if the headlights were redesigned and the bumpers weren't so over-designed.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
otake said:
According to my Vehicles manual, the 2012 Golf can take Regular. I don't know, it feels better running on Premium. It could be psychological. I'm going to run this premium tank dry, note the MPG results (actual not what my system says) and do the same test with Regular next week.

Don't. Here is proof with a Jetta 2.5L. It made much less power on 87 vs 91. So if you have 93 in your area, the difference is even more vast.
http://www.scionlife.com/forums/showthread.php?t=202103

Test 1
Performance
Peak power: 138 hp @ 5908 rpm
Peak torque: 146 lb-ft @ 4060 rpm
Peak power gain: 7 hp @ 5790 rpm
Peak torque gain: 13 lb-ft @ 4150 rpm
Temperature: 67° F
Humidity: 13%
Pros
• Increase of 1-2 mpg
• Increased throttle response and smoother power transitions
• Reduce risk of knocking or pinging
• Reduce risk of horsepower loss from heat soak

And here is a VW GTI showing similar results between regular and premium (granted this is a turbo motor):
http://blogs.insideline.com/roadtes...en-gti-the-effect-of-octane-on-its-power.html

JackEtc

AlphaSnake said:
As hot as this version looks (absolutely shits on the ugly Toyota version)...how it God's name can this be an STi, if it doesn't have the power? That is a disgrace to tradition. They're tarnishing their name.
Dunno, the Toyota one doesn't look half bad in my opinion. Isn't this the final design?

KLZSDl.jpg

I'd rather have the STi though, of course.

I like the FT86... I have a feeling there will be a more powerful version (remember the winged version running around the ring?) but probably not till later.

reilo

nitewulf said:
the grill, bumper, headlights...all are hedious. japanese designs are usually so elegant too! wtf happened here?
When was the last time Toyota designed an elegant car?

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
I have no idea if that was sarcasm or not. But it really took me 4 minutes to make that last post I was just so baffled.

The last-gen Solara is one of the worst looking cars of all time.

Kabouter

Funky Papa said:

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.autoblog.com/media/2011/11/4962102081110pc021.jpg[IMG]
[IMG]http://www.blogcdn.com/www.autoblog.com/media/2011/11/peugeot-208-23.jpg[IMG]
[IMG]http://www.blogcdn.com/www.autoblog.com/media/2011/11/peugeot-208-17.jpg[IMG]

Peugeot Citroën have stepped their game up big time with their latest cars. I can't wait to see the DS6.[/QUOTE]
That actually looks surprisingly good, good to see them stepping up their game.

reilo

AlphaSnake said:
I have no idea if that was sarcasm or not. But it really took me 4 minutes to make that last post I was just so baffled.

The last-gen Solara is one of the worst looking cars of all time.
And yet the 2010 Corolla is even uglier.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Angry Grimace said:

What? I have driven everything from a first gen to a Mazdaspeed. They were all quick, all handled like go-karts and all super fun.

The newer stock Miatas are way faster and better than the first few gens, so maybe your dad had an early model. But you'd still be all kinds of wrong. For what it is, it has always been slightly epic.

reilo

OuterWorldVoice said:
What? I have driven everything from a first gen to a Mazdaspeed. They were all quick, all handled like go-karts and all super fun.

The newer stock Miatas are way faster and better than the first few gens, so maybe your dad had an early model. But you'd still be all kinds of wrong. For what it is, it has always been slightly epic.
The MX-5 has almost the same HP/Weight ratio that a RX-8, better than the Civic Si, and has far more TQ/Weight than either. Not to mention the car is going to be quicker than the FR-S, too.

And if Mazda ever bothered to put out another Speed version, then that thing would be mind-blowingly quick.

Angry Grimace said:

You have no idea how to drive a Miata if you don't know how fun they are. No idea whatsoever.

Angry Grimace

BoobPhysics101 said:
You have no idea how to drive a Miata if you don't know how fun they are. No idea whatsoever.
Opinions are opinions. They're only dumb if they're entirely based on hearsay. If you liked driving it, then that's fine, but I personally hated it.

I'm also pretty sure it's not all that functionally different driving a Miata vs. driving any other car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom