• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Banner Saga |OT| Here come the vikings!

Grief.exe

I didn't know anything about this game until today, and I am an avid PC gamer. Now I have a burning desire to acquire it.

If I wasn't playing Fire Emblem on my 3DS and have so many amazing games on Steam to get through I would have picked it up in a heartbeat.

Corto

So, this is basically episode 1 of the single player?

Any info on how quickly they'll put them out?

I don't think they have an ETA for the next Chapters yet. I would think that that will depend also on the success of this release? More sales, more money coming in, more resources available for the next chapters?

Dynoro

I assume Kickstarter backers can't get their key atm as the forum is down? I tried yesterday but same deal.

DaddyBoJangles

Neo Member
Have way too many games I'm trying to play through right now, but this sure is tempting for 20 bucks. Looking forward to hearing some impressions in this thread

Ah cool, didn't realize this was out. All these kickstarter projects just seem to pop up out of nowhere when you didn't actually back them, I guess :p

The art style of this game was inspired by one of my favorite artists, Eyvind Earle.

http://morfis.files.wordpress.com/2012/08/eyvind-earle1.jpg[IMG]

[IMG]http://uploads3.wikipaintings.org/images/eyvind-earle/carmel-gold.jpg[IMG]

[IMG]http://www.123inspiration.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/Eyvind-Earle-5.jpg[IMG]

[IMG]http://uploads4.wikipaintings.org/images/eyvind-earle/grazing-in-peace-1970.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

Hm, man, I really like these.

I'm expecting much from the soundtrack. Wintory does good work.

Labadal

The soundtrack!

It makes me this happy!
Daniel-Sturridge-dance.gif

Ah cool, didn't realize this was out. All these kickstarter projects just seem to pop up out of nowhere when you didn't actually back them, I guess :p

Hm, man, I really like these.

I'm expecting much from the soundtrack. Wintory does good work.

Yeah, his artwork takes me to a different place. It makes me wonder how he sees the world.

Zafir

WTF !! Look at the menus. No sliders for the Audio, and not a single graphic option...c'mon!!!

Just came in here to post this. Was looking for a place to enable subtitles as I always prefer having subtitles enabled in case I miss anything. Doesn't seem like there is an option for it though. >.<

Panda Rin

no graphics options is a huge bummer, but the game is a blast so far. story is confusing as hell, but the art is so goddamn beautiful.

Nif

I can understand no graphics options. Everything being 2D, there's really no point. I was more bummed about the lack of subtitles, but it seems like most of the game is in text without voice acting anyway.

So many beards. In such amazing art.

I would've loved subtitles too. But damn this game plays great. Also I'm liking the turn-based combat system so far.

I paid 20$ for an episode?...wish I read the steam page better dangit.

Also no subtitles? Wtf is this secretly an early access game?

This is an episode as much as a Star Wars Episode I is. aka the first part in a planned trilogy.

As to the game, just got the soundtrack and preloaded the title yesterday. I might not start playing it just yet, but maybe later once I beat Knack on my ps4.

Corto

Each game/episode/chapter is self contained and with heaps of content. Think of this as a Saga similar to Wagner's Ring Cycle. Each game is its own thing but as a whole make for an Epic Tale.

Tucah

you speak so well

Also no subtitles? Wtf is this secretly an early access game?

It's a standalone game that is planned to be part of a trilogy - it's an episode in the same sense ME1 was.

Kinyou

How does the story work? Is it a bit like King of Dragon pass, so basically "choose your own adventure" or more straightforward with clear characters and antagonists?

LTWheels

What is it with kickstarter games not having a manual save option? First Shadowrun, now this.

Makes me think they have designed the game for an eventual smartphone release. The UI is definitely touch friendly. Same with Shadowrun.

AWintory

Neo Member
Just stumbled onto this thread. Thanks so much for posting the links to the soundtrack that really means a lot to me.

And thanks to you all for the nice words; I hope for those who haven't played it you check it out! I'm so stoked to have been a part of this thing. Stoic are fantastic game designers. I think it's a beautifully challenging game. According to Steam I've played about 220 hours between Chapter 1 and Factions ... so despite my bias as a member of the team, I gotta say I dig it as a gamer :)

-Austin

Alastor3

Just stumbled onto this thread. Thanks so much for posting the links to the soundtrack that really means a lot to me.

And thanks to you all for the nice words; I hope for those who haven't played it you check it out! I'm so stoked to have been a part of this thing. Stoic are fantastic game designers. I think it's a beautifully challenging game. According to Steam I've played about 220 hours between Chapter 1 and Factions ... so despite my bias as a member of the team, I gotta say I dig it as a gamer :)

-Austin

Thank YOU Austin, the soundtrack is playing since 1PM in my house and damn it is good!

Already one of my guard died, damn it!

But, how do we save XD ?

Gothos

What is it with kickstarter games not having a manual save option? First Shadowrun, now this.

Makes me think they have designed the game for an eventual smartphone release. The UI is definitely touch friendly. Same with Shadowrun.

No manual saves? That is bullshit and my enthusiasm jest went down the drain. Seriously, there is no excuse for lack of manual saving in a PC game.

Zeliard

No manual saves? That is bullshit and my enthusiasm jest went down the drain. Seriously, there is no excuse for lack of manual saving in a PC game.

In this case it may be an effective way to keep players from save-scumming on important story decisions. The Eurogamer review notes as much:

Eurogamer said:
Besides, your narrative choices present danger enough to your characters, and Stoic is not beyond killing off major players that you might otherwise assume will be with you until the end. Furthermore, a well-judged auto-save-only system means that, while reloading a previous save to undo a poor decision is possible, it will usually result in losing several hours of play.

jediyoshi

Ack no cloud saving, was hoping I could get some progress while I was out. Anyone know where the save files live?

Lime

-Austin

Austin, you are amazing and incredibly talented. Thank you so much for some great music!

Cyrano

In this case it may be an effective way to keep players from save-scumming on important story decisions. The Eurogamer review notes as much:
I pretty much agree with this. I'm not huge on save scumming in a game where your decisions are supposed to matter. Dark Souls is a huge success because if you screw up, there's a long road ahead and it will be harder (or easier) because of something you did.
Austin, you are amazing and incredibly talented. Thank you so much for some great music!
Also this. Thanks Austin!

I backed this but had to close my KS account due to strange activity so I guess I won't be getting my key. Glad to see the singleplayer campaign is out. Will repurchase when it goes on a bigger sale.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Wow, Austin himself. Great job on the work here and everything else you've done, basically.

Sotha Sil

The RPS hands-on was really positive; had to give this one a go. Hope it's good. Really reminds me of King of Dragon Pass.

Haha you're too kind. "Everything I've done" is too broad ... I promise there is plenty of terrible music lying around :)

Just downloaded the soundtrack from your site. I just want to say that the sole reason I went up in my Kickstarter pledge was when I heard you were doing the OS. Journey's OS is one of my favs.

Top Bottom