• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The best developer currently in the business?

Gamer79

Predicts the worst decade for Sony starting 2022
Let's Factor in a few Ingredients into the Equation.

FREQUENCY: How often do they release games? For example: I love Rockstar games but they barely release any games. The last release they made was that trilogy collection was was outsourced and dogshit at launch. OR Take a company like Insomniac that keeps the hits pumping.

CONSISTENCY: Does the company have a good track record or is it dodgy?

QUALITY: How does their very best work compare to the top standards of the gaming Industry

FUN: IMO by far the most important aspect of any game. Do you get lost into the games world while putting a smile on your face at times?

My pick is a company that maybe still the most important in the gaming industry. They have released true Gems that have changed the way we all play games. It is a company that introduced standards like the D pad, Perfected the analog stick, In Mario 64 set the blueprint for how every 3D game is made, and so many more innovations. Yes they have released a ton of remakes lately but to be fair it's to an entirely new audience. Their games are still industry leading standard. Despite their hardware being extremely outdated they keep making Modern great looking experiences. My pick for the best Developers in the industry is Nintendo. I could only imagine what Nintendo could do if you gave them the hardware of the PS5 or Series X.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Based on that criteria, those come to mind: From, Atlus, Capcom and RGG Studio.

Would throw in id Software if it was't for the frequency.

Atlus and Capcom are greedy as fuck tho. Maybe we should take greediness into account too.

angrod14

Naughty GOAT. Not even a question.

They set the benchmark, the others follow. They might not have the most frequent output, but every game of theirs is absolutely memorable and outshines everything else for years to come. Plus, they have Druckmann, arguably the hottest dev right now ('mirin, no homo).

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
59tcOxf.jpeg

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Nintendo the very obvious and boring correct answer.

FROM and Capcom rightfully named immediately in the thread.

Larian also up there after putting out 3 of the best PC RPGs ever within ten years and making the rest of the industry look bad with the last one.

Lokaum D+

Naughty GOAT. Not even a question.

They set the benchmark, the others follow. They might not have the most frequent output, but every game of theirs is absolutely memorable and outshines everything else for years to come. Plus, they have Druckmann, arguably the hottest dev right now ('mirin, no homo).
Who ? he said currently not 4 years ago, ND released only 2 games in the last 10 years

Capcom imo is the best atm

Last edited:

Magic Carpet

Gold Member
Devolver Digital has produced some bangers this gen.
If The Plucky Squire ever gets released this year and it's a great game. Then This publisher (developer) is tops.

Probably Capcom. They are pretty consistent and diverse, altough I wish they relied a little less on their flagship titles like Resident Evil to branch out for new things or revisit old dormant IPs like a proper new mainline Megaman game (11 was a blast but I want a BIG budget Megaman... like legends or some other stuff), Lost Planet, Onimusha, Breath of Fire, Dino Crisis, etc.

Still, I love they are willing to do their own weird very capcom-like games as Exoprimal, Ace Attorney, Dragon's Dogma, and the upcoming Pragmata and Kinitsu-gami: Path of the Goddess. You keep being you Capcom.

Woopah

Nintendo and Capcom have an advantage in this sort of thing because a lot of their teams have similar names.

To be a fair, contest you can't just have all of them. You'd have to pick a specific production group at those companies.

Last edited:

Vlodril

CD Project Red. They haven't missed once for me so far and they make almost the only open world games i enjoy (i feel a lot of devs jump on the open world formula but are extremely mediocre and they games would be served much better in a more hub based style).

Last edited:

nial

Nintendo and Capcom have an advantage in this sort of thing because a lot of their teams have similar names

To be a fair contest you can't just have all of them. You'd have to pick a specific production group at those companies.
Yep, just saying Capcom is like just saying Sega (which has several internal studio departments).
Nintendo has EPD Tokyo and EPD Kyoto, the latter which also has lots of development groups.

Woopah

Yep, just saying Capcom is like just saying Sega (which has several internal studio departments).
Nintendo has EPD Tokyo and EPD Kyoto, the latter which also has lots of development groups.
Exactly. It would be like if Insomniac were called Sony Burbank and Naughty Dog were part of Sony Santa Monica.

Mr Hyde

From Software
Capcom
Nintendo
Square Enix
Nihon Falcom
CDPR
Housemarque
Sega
Double Fine

These are some of my favorite developers currently in the industry.

Last edited:

dezzy8

Capcom has been on fire since they started using the RE Engine.

Insomniac is also the most consistent with good quality games releasing in a timely manner.

nial

Comparing Nin and Capcom with Larian and From is not reasonable. The formers is big big studios have thousands employees, with many small studios working for them. When Larian, From, Isomiac,.. are mid company with 300-500 people.
It's honestly just "your favorite studios". Plus, Capcom is like two studios in itself.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
CD Project Read. They haven't missed once for me so far and they make almost the only open world games i enjoy (i feel a lot of devs jump on the open world formula but are extremely mediocre and they games would be served much better in a more hub based style).

Put your head in a washing machine and give it a clean

Labadal

Many good shout outs, but I would like to add Tango Gameworks.

R.I.P.

Platinum games have a few stinkers, but in general, most of their output is solid.

Tried to go for studios that aren't just my favorite ones.

An out of left field studio is Heluo Studio. They are Chinese, and most of their games have either piss poor machine translation, or relies on fan translation, bot hot dang are their games fun to play. Some of my favorite rpgs in recent years.

Top Bottom