• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The best developer currently in the business?

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Nintendo ... always nintendo until the last senior employee from the nes / snes era dies or retires. Then maybe they will fall a bit.

It has to be Rockstar North. Deliver a game that people buy machines for consistently and multiple copies on top. They're the only ones in the business who does that.
Developer quality =/= financially irresponsible consumer behavior.

Nintendo ... always nintendo until the last senior employee from the nes / snes era dies or retires. Then maybe they will fall a bit.
Their last good game came out two generations ago.

Last edited:

simpatico

Gold Member
From
Rockstar
CD Projekt
Capcom
id

and seeing as I'm about 35 hours in Ghost of Tsushima, Sucker Punch is really good right now. Someone needs to bust those boys out of the salt mine before they're stuck making a Spider Silk DLC or an open world survival crafter. (RIP Bend)

Kataploom

Gold Member
Metroid (aside from the three GB and GBA games) Xenoblade, Fire Emblem, Kirby, and the Mario sport games (other than Kart) are not developed by Nintendo, just published by them.
Monolith Soft is a first party developer so it's as much of Nintendo as any EAD team, so is Retro Studios, both just have their own studio name for whatever reason, and the only mainline Metroid games not made by Nintendo are Other M and Dread, which still had Nintendo producers in their core.

Regarding HAL Lab and IS, are you saying TLOU 1 and the entire Uncharted franchise weren't Sony first party games?

simpatico

Gold Member
And now for the sad list of OGs no longer with us.

Bioware
Arkane
Rocksteady
Bethesda
Halo-Bungie
Monolith
Konami
Tango
Ubisoft Montreal

You guys were some of the realest. I've got a nice spot swept off for DICE up there, but we need to at least see their next game before formally adding them.

Last edited:

Kataploom

Gold Member

Their last good game came out two generations ago.
I'm currently playing Xenoblade 3, which wipes the floor with most games this gen so far, didn't know it came out in the Game Cube.

Last edited:

nial

Monolith Soft is a first party developer so it's as much of Nintendo as any EAD team, so is Retro Studios, both just have their own studio name for whatever reason, and the only mainline Metroid games not made by Nintendo are Other M and Dread, which still had Nintendo producers in their core.
I think you're missing the point, EAD is (or was) an internal organization within Nintendo Co., Ltd., while Monolith and Retro are simply subsidiaries owned by Nintendo. It's why you have people mentioning them here as separate studios, same with SIE and ND, for example.
Regarding HAL Lab and IS, are you saying TLOU 1 and the entire Uncharted franchise weren't Sony first party games?
This isn't about first-party talk, it's about the actual developers behind the projects. Nobody says that Uncharted is developed by Sony, they just refer to Naughty Dog.
On the other hand, referring to Gravity Rush or Astro Bot as SIE-developed games is quite correct, because both were created by internal organizations within the company.

Last edited:

Oppoi

You know I really felt that my post was coming off a bit hail corporate and trust me I'm not a fan of how they milk their franchises but what they are able to create with each new GTA are major stepping stones. I'm adamant that GTA VI will set a new standard.

Kataploom

Gold Member
I think you're missing the point, EAD is an internal organization within Nintendo Co., Ltd., while Monolith and Retro are simply subsidiaries owned by Nintendo. It's why you have people mentioning them here as separate studios, same with SIE and ND, for example.

This isn't about first-party talk, it's about the actual developers behind the projetcs. Nobody says Uncharted is developed by Sony, they just say Naughty Dog.
Ok, this simplifies the matter, I'd go with Monolith Soft then.

And everyone associates ND with PS for obvious reasons, so in the minds of everyone, NS is Sony... It was shocking for most knowing they weren't a first party studio when Sony bought them.

Two generations ago is Wii
LOL I read it as two decades ago, but even so it's not true considering the generation that came right after was considered one with the most bangers (Wii U) to the point it felt unfair that Nintendo didn't market it appropriately, at least some games came to Switch, which also has had banger after banger... And I'm not even counting 3DS.

And now for the sad list of OGs no longer with us.

Bioware
Arkane
Rocksteady
Bethesda
Halo-Bungie
Monolith
Konami
Tango
Ubisoft Montreal

You guys were some of the realest. I've got a nice spot swept off for DICE up there, but we need to at least see their next game before formally adding them.

& my absolute fav:

Ensemble Studios​

giphy.webp

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Nintendo, From, and Capcom. Probably in that order.

CD Project Red. They haven't missed once for me so far and they make almost the only open world games i enjoy (i feel a lot of devs jump on the open world formula but are extremely mediocre and they games would be served much better in a more hub based style).
This was only true before the complete dumpster fire that was CP 2077.
Sorry but no one’s forgetting that launch any time soon.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Capcom had some stinkers like exoprimal.

I’m going with the definitive goat— from.

They only put out bangers. The end.

People saying Fromsoft are just WRONG.
Name a game they put on the Switch.
Leaving out Nintendo does not make a great developer.

The people saying Nintendo are just as wrong. Sony and Microsoft release games on PC, Nintendo does not.

Leaving PC out means Nintendo is not a great developer.

Last edited:

Codes 208

FROM, Nintendo, Capricom

The three goats that consistently launch quality
People saying Fromsoft are just WRONG.
Name a game they put on the Switch.
Leaving out Nintendo does not make a great developer.
you dont buy a Nintendo console for third party games, if you do then youre doing it wrong.

Thats been the rules since the wii era

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
I think From Software and Naughty Dog...Nintendo also.

It has to be Rockstar North. Deliver a game that people buy machines for consistently and multiple copies on top. They're the only ones in the business who does that.

I wouldn't call their games system sellers.

If we take GTAV as an example then it sold 20 million copies on PS4 which has a userbase north of 100 million.

Less than a million seperates God Of War, Spider-Man and GTAV on PS4.

kungfuian

Overall Multi Genre-
-Nintendo
-Capcom

Genre Kings-
-From
-Naughty Dog
-Insomniac
-Larian
-Santa Monica
-Rockstar
-CD Project Red

Up and Coming-
-ASOBI (Astro VR was literally a Mario 64 level moment of just WOW, and Playroom was way too much fun for being a pack in 'demo', they are capable of top of the industry platformers tied only by Nintendo IMO)
-Housemarque (Returnal alone is such an amazing game it instantly establishes them as top in their field for third Person Shooters, all other metrics be dammed)
-Team Cherry (Hollow Knight is to Metroidvanias what Peanut Butter is to Chocolate or some other dumb analogy that doesn't make sense but who cares just go play it!)

If only they cared-
-Valve (Portal and Alex are unmatched, imagine what they could do if they cared enough to make more games)

Last edited:

Vlodril

This was only true before the complete dumpster fire that was CP 2077.
Sorry but no one’s forgetting that launch any time soon.

I played it at launch and i had almost no bugs. 2 crashes 2 reloads for stuck missions and 1 t pose. I am only speaking for my experience and it was great (I finished the game 3 times now). I had a ton more bugs with Assassin's Creed Valhalla (crashes and the animations frequently didn't even hit the enemy).

Klosshufvud

Capcom is not a developer. Neither is Nintendo. They're huge publishers with numerous dev studios under their wing. It's like saying Sony is a developer. It makes no sense.

My vote goes for either Polyphony Digital for their remarkable work with GT Sport/7, Kojima Productions and From Software. These are the best studios right now.

Hero_Select

Nintendo is at the top and Capcom is up there too.

From Software is great but their output is so small that it's kind of hard to compare when you have that level of consistency from Nintendo and Capcom

Lupin25

Larian Studios.

Quality + Quantity. Next-Gen only game in BG3. No one else has that currently

Edit: Housemarque, MercurSteam and NEPD are quite amazing too.

Last edited:
I played it at launch and i had almost no bugs. 2 crashes 2 reloads for stuck missions and 1 t pose. I am only speaking for my experience and it was great (I finished the game 3 times now). I had a ton more bugs with Assassin's Creed Valhalla (crashes and the animations frequently didn't even hit the enemy).
Dude it was so bad it was literally delisted from sale by PlayStation. Most people who played it at launch played the horrible disaster version that was Xbox One and PS4 at launch, that never really did improve much. Your experience was not the norm.

Top Bottom