• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The BEST Game Soundtracks

Ace Combat IV
Chrono Cross
Final Fantasy VII
Final Fantasy VIII
Final Fantasy Tactics
Halo
Halo 2
Half Life 2
Metal Gear Solid 2
Xenogears Cried

_Angelus_

Banned
NIGHTS
Blinx
Panzer Dragoon Series
Sega Rally
Daytona U.S.A.
Neo Contra
Sonic Adventures/Sonic Heroes
Parasite Eve
Virtua Cop 2
Halo Series
PowerSlave
Jet Grind Radio Series
Super Metroid/Metroid Prime
SoulStar
PitFall the Mayan Adventures(Sega CD version)
Shadowman(DreamCast version)
Super Mario64
Quake3 Arena(DreamCast)
Grandia 2
FF8
Tempest 2000
Streets of Rage Series

Do DDR games count?

Castlevania: SotN
Halo 2
Legend of Dragoon
Final Fantasy VII & VIII & X &X-2
Just about any Mega-Man
Xenogears
Command & Conquer series

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Wipeout XL, Wipeout 3, Rez, ESP Galuda, Secret of Mana, Chrono Trigger, FF4-5, Radiant Silvergun, Megaman 3, Ys Book 1 and 2

Just some titles I didn't see listed:

Snatcher
Space Manbow (MSX)
The Dig
Alien Soldier
Gyakuten Saiban (Part 1)
The Neverhood (Come on! Also a nod to Skullmonkies, at least for the bonus level song)
Galaxian^3
Starcraft (Hate RTS games but, great music anyway)

There's too many to list :)

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Halo 2

Super Metroid (for it time it was the best soundtrack EVER EVER EVER)

Pretty much anything Sega (including Daytona on Saturn!!!), but especially Panzer Dragoon series, Gunvalkrie, Virtua Fighter 2, and NiGHTS.

Gunstar77

GAF Madden 2006 Season 1 NFC Champ
xexex said:
Y's Book I & II on TurboGrafx CD

We have a winner. It is a shame that not many gamers got to listen and play this great RPG because the CD player was $400 not including the TG-16.

Trevelyon

Not much too add, so I'll just list some of the good albums I've listened as of late.

Halo 2 - Original Soundtrack Volume 1
Elemental Gearbolt ~ Sound and Drama
Guilty Gear X - Original Soundtrack
ICO - Melody in the Mist
Vagrant Story - Original Soundtrack
Katamari Damacy Soundtrack - 'Katamari Fortissimo Damacy'
Shin Megami Tensei III Nocturne Maniacs - Soundtrack Extra Version
Phantom Brave - Arrange Soundtrack

Katamari Damacy
Rez
ICO
Jet Grind Radio

Those are about the only ones I'd care to hear outside of the game...

edit: of original soundtracks, I'm not counting stuff like the more recent GTA games where existing music is just licensed into the game

Dkong

I personally like the music in games like Tony Hawk and the rock-stations in the latest GTA-games, but I would have to choose other games when we're talking about the most fitting soundtracks.

Series like Final Fantasy and Zelda always have great soundtracks, I thought the music in Blade Runner strongly added to the special atmosphere the game has, and recently Halo 2 had some music that fitted quite well into the different situations of the single player.

ElyrionX

Do The Mario said:
You people make me sick with you’re complete lack of bladur's gate love

0% taste in this thread!

Agreed. BG1's OST is better than BG2 though. I remember I used a couple of different rippers and encoders to get the battle themes into MP3 format many years ago. And several people downloaded it off me from some P2P networks. I wonder if it's still circulating out there......

Those who did not list Xenogears obviously have never played the game.

Do The Mario

Unconfirmed Member
ElyrionX said:
Agreed. BG1's OST is better than BG2 though. I remember I used a couple of different rippers and encoders to get the battle themes into MP3 format many years ago. And several people downloaded it off me from some P2P networks. I wonder if it's still circulating out there......

Those who did not list Xenogears obviously have never played the game.

If you pick up a dirt cheap copy of the original saga it comes with the BG1 Soundtrack!

User 406

Banned
Setting aside soundtracks with licensed music, the only two I still consistently listen to are Tenchu and Soukaigi. That makes them the best in my book.

1. Donkey Kong Country 2
2. Donkey Kong Country
3. Chrono Trigger
4. Castlevania: SOTN
5. Final Fantasy VI
6. Sonic the Hedgehog 2
7. Super Metroid

jcjimher

I'm not very fond of orchestral/classical sountracks, so my picks exclude most of the popular picks like the Final Fantasy ones, and such. Also, I'm sure there are lots of great soundtracks out ther that I've not listened to, so these are my personal choices, more than the absolute best OST ever. Anyway, my choices are:

- Shenmue I & II (the Asian flavour overcomes my general dislike of 'classical' soundtracks with this one. II is less atmospheric than I, but more varied and better to listen separately)
- Streets of Rage I & II (I respect SOR3's soundtrack, it was a more daring approach to hard techno, but it's not as appealing to me as the previous ones).
- Jet Set Radio, Jet Set Radio Future and Ollie King (composed mainly by Hideki Naganuma, with some other contributions of the same quality by Deavid Soul, Latch Brothers, and other bands)
- Revenge of Shinobi & Shinobi III [Genesis] (the first was made by Yuzo Koshiro and is great, the second was not and, surprisingly, is just as good, a little less varied but more cohesive).

- Other honorable mentions: Castle of Illusion, Quackshot, Ristar, Kururin Paradise, Radiant Silvergun, Katamary Damacy, Napple Tale, Tekken Tag Tournament, Rez, Megaman & Bass .

MAZYORA

NiGHTS
Sonic Adventure
Daytona USA
Virtua Fighter 1
Super Mario Bros 2
Billy Hatcher and the Giant Egg
Halo
Sonic CD(USA version)

From the looks of it, Feel The Magic XYXX seems like itll end up on that list. I might get that game just for its freakin soundtrack.

cdbig1.jpg

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
You people disappoint me so much.

Grim Fandango

The absolute best game score ever!

adam20

is there a place to download these soundtracks? the music in halo2 is amazing. but i dont know where u get the soundtrack OSTs or whatever you call them.

if this post is against the rules i appologize. i dont know if it is or isnt =)

nitewulf

panzer dragoon
panzer dragoon saga
streets of rage
shinobi 3
sonic 2
outrun
ff 9
ff 6
ff x
guilty gear x
dracula battle perfect selection 1/2 <-- not eact soundtracks rather metal remixes of castlevania stuff.

montanha

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
Two unmentioned games that come to mind are Suikoden and Myth (Bungie's pre-Xbox PC series).

luxsol

Everyone who has said they like the Halo music, i would suggest you listen to Myth 1 and 2's (Bungie's RTS series) music. Done by the same composers (Martin O'Donnel and Mike Salvatori) and equally as good.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
-Jet Set Radio
-Jet Set Radio Future
-Ollie King (never even played the game!)
-Viewpoint (Neo-Geo version only)
-Dracula X Rondo of Blood
-Dracula X Nocturne In The Moonlight
-Street Fighter III (all three versions)
-Streets Of Rage 2
-Katamari Damacy
-REZ
-Mega Man 2
-Mega Man 3
-Bust-A-Move Dance And Rhythm Action
-Bust-A-Move 2 Dance Tengoku Mix
-Ridge Racer Type 4

Jet Set Radio is my all-time favorite.

XS+

Banned
Nobody's mentioned Outrun 2 yet, so.. yeah.

EDIT: And Ollie King's sdtk sounds even better when you actually play the game.

Gunstar77 said:
We have a winner. It is a shame that not many gamers got to listen and play this great RPG because the CD player was $400 not including the TG-16.

Sure, when the Duo came out you could get for 299 (if I recall correctly) and Ys 1/2 was a pack-in. That's when I got it. :) That was the best game pack-in deal ever actually, a disc with Bonk's Adventure, Bonks' Revenge, Gates of Thunder (and hidden Bomberman if you put in a code) Ys, and I got a Ninja Spirit HuCard. I think there was a another game in some of the boxes, besides Ninja Spirit, but I can't remember. It might of been KC.

Agent X

The music from Tempest 2000 for the Jaguar absolutely rocks! This is true of the original cartridge music (which you can download in MOD format--click here), as well as the enhanced CD soundtrack that was sold separately (and also packaged with the Jaguar CD).

Tempest 3000 for NUON rocks even harder, as that contains virtually all of the music from the T2K CD soundtrack (except for one song, I think), along with another 7 new pieces. Since most of you will likely never experience this game on NUON, I recommend that you click here, scroll about halfway down the page, and enjoy some MP3 files of the added T3K music.

Top Bottom